Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Building the Colony [Week 1 Day 3]

Colonel_Liam

Supernova
Who: Alexander Drake
Where: The common land amongst the jupiters
Relevant: @AndNich123 as Mac
When: Day 3 Morning

The sun of the planet they found themselves on, had not yet risen when Alexander started out from the family jupiter, a bag full of tools and part slung over his broad shoulders. It was still cold out and he couldn't help but shiver as he approached the lake where he had been constructing a water pump to provide the colony with fresh water, whether it was winter or the height of summer.

Setting the bag down on the waters edge, he sat down and started to pull off his boots and socks, preparing to wade into the chilly water to keep working. If they were lucky, they would be done today, and that first necessity of a community would be completed, though of course that was dependent on him having help, rather than working alone.

Who: Mackenzie Mercer
Where: Headin to the lake
Relevant: @Colonel_Liam Alexander Drake

She had wanted to get out sooner, before the sun was up really, but sleep had been an elusive thing since the crash. She got when and where she could. Still the crisp air actually felt soothing. It reminded her of being back home. She smiled letting a few memories play on her mind. The voiced were like something lost in time brought back. It's funny how something as simple as the cool morning air can bring back a flood a memmories like these. She could hear the lake. Her mind conjured images of the ripples that must be making their way across it's surface. That's when she realized Alex must be there. "Crap. I'm late," she whispered before picking up her pace.

He came into view, removing some of his clothing. "Oooooh baby. Take it off," she teased. "Take. It. Off." A soft giggle escaped before she started removing her own shoes. "We gonna nail this down today," she asked.

Where: The Lake Shore.
Alexander was pulling his shirt up over his head and folding it with the rest of his belongings when he heard the sassy voice of his "assistant" coming over the rise. He gave Macenzie a faux glower of irritation before he turned it into a smile. He liked the young woman, she was a hard worker and eager to learn more. He help had been invaluable, especially for some the delicate connections they had had to make, where his hands and fingers were just too big to fit into some of the nooks and crannies of the makeshift pump. He dropped his trousers, adding them to the pile, leaving him in just a pair of black compression shorts. "More than this is going to cost you missy." he said with a wink.

Turning to water pump they had buildings, several feet out into the lake, he let out a sigh. "That the plan Mac. Once we get it running we can use some of the spare tubing to run back to the Jupiter until he we can make more permanent piping. Thought that will mean finding iron or copper, and building a forge. I hope you know you signed on to see this project to the end." he said, only half teasing.
He started to wade out, the extra parts and tools loaded onto his shoulders, the straps digging into his flesh. This job shouldn't have taken this long. If they had had all the parts stored aboard the Endeavor it would have been almost trivial, but because they had to canibalize pieces from the jupiters less vital systems, he and Mac had had to build this pump with what amounted to leftovers. Once they got the forge going, he would be able to make replacement parts for jupiter along with pipe sections and anything else they might need in terms of metal working the old fashioned way, but that was still a ways of.

As he got closer to the pump, he took a deep breath and then got over the worse part, where the cold water enveloped his man hood. At least he had heard that cold water helped with sperm production, which would be useful with the new breeding protocol. Glancing over his shoulder to Mac he called, "Are you coming or not?"

Who: Mackenzie
Where: The Lake Shore
Relevant: @Colonel_Liam as Alexander

"To the end," she questioned. "You mean I have to keep working with you? On this interesting and cool project? If I must I must then," she teased, lifting the back of her hand to her forehead in a mock show of despair. "Oh woe is me." she continued before laughing and unzipping her jumpsuit. The cool air meet her skin and drew a shiver. She could feel the bumps rising on her arms, reminding her she was alive. "So far from home, and some things will never change," she whispered. She pushed the suit down to the ground, allowing it to pool around her ankles. Stepping from it, she kicked it slight astirde. Her arms crosed, and her hands raced up and down her arms. The muscles tensing slightly in retaliation of the weather. She knew the water would be cold, but what had to be done had to be done. Wading out slowly her legs began to disappear beneath the water. The material of what little clothing she had clung to her form. Her now soaked pantied drew a gasp from her trembling lips. "Man that's cold," she said as the edge of her white tee shirt dipped down into the water now.

"We're gonna need a good filtration system too. We can get away without using one for the plants. That's a given, but if we plan on drinking this water, then we'll need one either at the point where the hose enters the structures we build as homes or at end of the faucet. We'll need a A UV purifier paired with a pre-sediment filter for that. I don't know if the ships have that. They weren't built for that kind of stuff. So we may have to engineer one. Who knows. Maybe a few coffee filters might do the job," she teased. "We also still have to figure a pressure tank too if we want any kind of water pressure from this. For the plants, still not really a problem, but we gotta think ahead. I also was thinking about finding things we could use to collect the rainwater here. I mean clearly it rains. This water wouldn't be here if it didn't. So why not take advantage of it?"

Alexander was inspecting the the proto- water pump as he listened to Mac's suggestions and plans for the future. She was on track with her thinking in his estimation. "You're right, when we start to expand housing, we're going to need all that. For now though we can use the jupiter's filtration system. They were meant to operate autonomously and recycle everything biological possible for an extended period. With just the three families they'll last a while, so long as we don't mind staying confined to our cabins.

He glanced over to the young woman, "But I did imagine having a nice big house for myself and the family. We'll have to make a list of projects since everything builds into something else. There wasn't an expectation that two people would have to make infrastructure for the whole colony when they planned this thing." he said.

He wasn't unaware of Mac state of undress, or the effect the cold water was having on her body, but at much as he was a proponent of the breeding protocol, he also recognized the necessity of having a functional colony for the future colonists they were planning to create. He hadn't known Mac for long, but was fond of her already. She had an attitude he enjoyed, was smart, and a hard worker. Under normal circumstances he would have liked his son to bring a girl like her home.

Reaching into his pouch, he handed a small part to Mac. "Get out a phillips head screwdriver, and slot that in, while I hold this valve open." he instructed as her held the the slot open, creating a cavity he would have struggled to deal with, but he hoped that Mac's smaller hands would be able to deal with it more easily.

"So... I now the new rules took some people by surprise. How are you holding up?" he asked, with genuine concern. While he and Elizabeth were fine with the new rules personally, it was going to be hard for their children, particularly Caitlin, considering her lifestyle.

Last edited:
Who: Mackenzie
Where: The Lake Shore
Relevant: @Colonel_Liam as Alexander

A nice, big house. The thought was an appealing one. They had left behind a decent home back on earth. Adjusting to life living within the confines of the Jupiters was proving to be interesting, at the very least. At least she had her own living quarters, as opposed to her sisters. Still, the tight arrangements were not optimal. Hopefully they, as in all of the colonists, could get things moving along at a decent enough pace to allow for her to grow old in her own home.

She nodded at his instructions, retrieving the screwdriver quickly. A brief thought flashed through her head about one of the many tv shows she had indulged in back on earth. All things that were related to different times in the past seemed to intrigue her. The music, the television shows, she was always telling her mother how she should have been born at a different time. One of her favorite shows had been a British one about a....doctor....The Doctor. Yeah. The Doctor and his trusty sonic screwdriver. For a moment she wished the instrument in her hand was a sonic screwdriver, but something could be said for the old reliable tools that had been around for lifetimes. They got the job done.

"My pops is holding a family meeting tonight. If I had to wager a guess, it's about these new rules. Guess he'll be telling us who we're expected to breed with." She shrugged her shoulders as her hands began to work, installing the part. "I guess it's stupid though. I mean sex is sex. People have been doing it forever. Having babies isn't a new concept either. I just want to get it over with, the having the babies part. Then I can focus on what's important. Getting this place going. I mean honestly, a baby bump is gonna seriously cramp my style here. It's a tight fit right here with you and me doing this. Not much room for a baby here." She paused, focusing more on the task within her hands. She was close to him. Real close. "I mean my choices aren't that huge in numbers. There are only so many people close to my own age. Then again, I don't see anything wrong with..someone older. You know..someone like you even. I mean all the men here have qualities that would be great to pass on to a kid. So if age isn't a factor, then there's a nice gene pool to pick from. What does Lizzie say about all this," she asked as the part finally was in place. "She okay with the thought of you fucking all these girls here? Having them have your baby?"

Alexander chuckled, even as he strained to keep the mechanism open long enough for Mac to get the delicate part installed. "For someone so young...you sure have a very old fashioned view on sex." he replied. Gritting his teeth he continued. "Believe me Mac, your options here may be limited but there is a difference between each of the ... men and boys here. You're gonna get a different experience with anyone you pick. Some you may like ...more than others. When Mac had finished installing the piece, he let the latch he had been holding open go with a sharp snap, and gently sank up to his shoulders in the water with a hiss, as he nursed his over exerted fingers in the cold water, letting them numb a little.

"I'm sure your dad will explain things this evening, but it's not like you have to pick a life partner anyway. As you said, there's plenty of good qualities to the men here. You can pick and choose as you like. You've got a quota of three as it is. No reason they all have to be the same."

He paused for a moment, and looked Mac in the eye, his voice taking on a more serious tone. "Genetics are all well and good, but in the end it takes children being properly raised for them to really develop whatever talents they might be born with. At least that's what I believe. Liz feels the same, and so does Mia. In case you hadn't already realized, we're not the most traditional family, but I'm a little traditional in that regard. So we agreed that any kids we're responsible for making, we also will take on the raising of. "

By now the sun was rising and Alexander closed his eyes as he felt the warm rays run across his face, and start to burn off some of the early morning fog. Enjoying it for a few moment,s he produced a few more scavenged pieces, and slotted them into place, showing his "apprentice" how they fit together and how they worked in relation to the overall device. A few minutes of twisting in screws, and tightening bolts, and he gestured to the activation button. The pump was electric and connected to his family jupiter. So long as the batteries had power from the solar panals built into each Jupiter, or some other source of electricity, the pump ought to run. "Care to do the honors? See if it works or blows up in our face?"

Who: Mackenzie Mercer
Where: Headin to the lake
Relevant: @Colonel_Liam Alexander Drake, @MsBloom and @Aluora Thing One and Thing Two

A loud pop of metal was followed by a ripple in the once fairly calm water as he sank down. "Got it," she whispered, both proud of their accomplishment and not wanting to disturb the clear comfort and relaxation he had found amid the cool water. Personally, she could feel some sweat on her forehead from the task they had just performed as well. Suddenly his actions seemed to make perfect sense. Still, she simply coated her arms with a handful of water at a time, before rubbing her own shoulders. He looked so peaceful, so content, if only for a few minutes as he basked in the morning glow.

She had almost forgotten about the meeting. It was his mention of it that made her take note of his eyes. She nodded. "Believe me. I know all about the raising part. My pops isn't really my pops. I know his spunk didn't make me, but that's not what makes a dad. It's how he's always treated me with kindness and respect. He's my dad. Genetics be damned," she shrugged. "I think it's great you and Lizzie want to be a part of your kid's life and raise them. It might get a little complicated and harder though when you got so many of them running around here though," she teased. "I mean if thing one and thing two both get pregnant by you that's six kids right there. Just please, don't let them teach them how to dress. They'll be running around in a towel for a skirt, and even then it'll be too long."

The sun was coming up, and with it, a new day was being ushered in. There was so much to do, and she could already feel the baby bump tightening around her neck so to speak. A child would certainly slow her down in the third trimester. A huge bump, always feeling the need to urinate, not to mention morning sickness. She wondered how she would ever get anything done, among a few other questions, questions she wouldn't dare ask anyone due to their personal nature. She didn't even feel comfortable asking her mother. Perhaps another female from the colony could be of assistance, but that would have to wait for another day, another time when there wasn't so much work to be done. "You bet I do," she enthusiastically nearly screamed. Her face felt like it could split in two as she beamed, reaching for the button. Biting her bottom lip slightly, she pressed it. The machine came to life in a flurry of sounds and slightly shaking. "It's alive," she shouted. "We did it! Alex, we did it!" She rushed towards him, water splashing, as she embraced it. "Hot damn we're a killer team! Couldn't have done it without you man!" Letting go of him, she leaned back to admire the now active equipment. "I love that feeling. You know, the one you get when you've actually accomplished something. It's intoxicating. It's addictive. It's....amazing. I can't wait to keep going."

Letting out a bark of a laugh that carried out over the water, Marcus looked at Mac as she washed her arms, he couldn't help but notice the way the cold water had made her nipples stand out on her modest breasts through the fabric of her damp t-shirt. Still he managed to look her in the eyes as he replied. "Well Liz and Mia make 6 minimum. And I expect we'll also do some grandparenting with Caitlins and maybe Abeda as well. It's going to take a village for all that. I may just be to exhausted to take part in the making at some point. Anyhow, if what I've observed so far is any indication, I don't know that your sister's are interested in an old man like me, nor do I expect them to to have three kids each by me, or even three children by the same man each. It's good of you to care about your sister's well being though. You're a good big sister."

He knew Mac would be excited to test their creation out, and she didn't dissapoint. When she flipped the switch, and a gush of clean cold water erupted from the spout in a steady stream, she was almost like a little kid in her celebrations. He met her bull rush happily enough, wrapping a hand around her bare waist as she embraced him. "I agree, we do make a pretty good team my dear." he told her, gently lowering back to stand in the lake when he felt her arms unwrap from around his neck.

Turning the pump off he fastened the end of the tubing he had scavenged to the sput and cinched it in place. "Yes, it's a good feeling. Putting something together and seeing the fruits of your labors pan out so well. We still have a long way to, but this is a good first step. Now we can water crops, and not need to worry about running out of water anytime soon."

Unspooling the tubing, he began to stake it to the ground using bent pieces of metal the resembled croquet gates to keep it in place in the event of wind or small animals. "Speaking of which, I could go for a long hot shower." he said as they reached the shore and could get dressed again. "We'll want to make a more permanent piping system when we can shape, and frankly spare some metal, but this will do for now. We can recruit some people to help us dig the trench and hide the current tubes later, but this will do for now. What do you think our next project should be?"

Back
Top Bottom