Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

This Shouldn't Be Happening {Crimson and Trigger}

The sound of the city could be heard even over the scream of her alarm and Iesa rolled over with a groan, hitting the sleep button absently before drifting back to sleep. Not even five minutes later the annoying ring of the phone woke her again and she grumbled beneath her breath as she was finally forced out of bed.

â??What,â? she snapped, eyes closed against the glare of the sun in her eyes.

â?Well thatâ??s not a good way to greet your keeper.â? The cultured voice coming from the phone made her eyes snap open and she stood up straight even though she knew that her elder couldnâ??t see her. â?Be glad I didnâ??t let Michael make this call. Heâ??d have plucked your wings for that greeting.â?

The speaker was Iesaâ??s elder, her boss on Earth, and his name was Gabriel. No, not that Gabriel, but still an important one. The angel had been on Earth for the last year, on various Watch assignments to make certain that certain humans remained safe. Unlike what some thought demons and angels were real, and they did have wings, some demons even had tails, but for the most part they didnâ??t show any of their other appendages until they were back in their domain. While on Earth they were there to maintain the Balance. It was the angelâ??s jobs to make certain that humans remained good, and it was the demonâ??s job to destroy all that good work.

â??Iâ??m sorry Gabriel, it wonâ??t happen again. It has just been a very long night,â? Iesa said hurriedly, clutching the phone as she waited to be reprimanded by her elder. Sheâ??d already gotten into trouble not two months before for getting into a fight with an imp; heâ??d managed to steal away her charge and sheâ??d tried to bargain the girl back only to find that heâ??d already given her to an incubus before Iesa found out where she was.

â?I know, Iâ??ve been watching, but you must be more careful, if you keep having run-ins with the lower demons youâ??ll draw the attention of those higher. Everyone reports to someone,â? Gabriel lectured and Iesa did her best to keep from grinding her teeth. â?After that fight with the imp you had better watch yourself. Youâ??re lucky you werenâ??t pulled from duty and sent back.â?

That wasnâ??t even my fault she thought, eyes narrowing slightly. The bugger set that girl up with Kesh before even taking her from me. Itâ??s not my fault no one was paying attention to that damn demonâ??s location.

Even though sheâ??d not said a word Iesa knew immediately that Gabriel had heard her thoughts and she cringed when she heard him say her name with a sharp tongue. â?Iesa, stop complaining. Youâ??re the one that asked for her so we gave her to you. Now, if youâ??ll stop moping you have a new charge. Youâ??ll be contacted later and told where to meet her, you had better be there and this one had better be saved or youâ??re going to be in trouble.â?

With that the phone went dead in her hands and Iesa glared at the white plastic machine for a moment before slamming it back into its cradle. Walking back to her room she slammed the door and leaned against the cool wood, taking slow, even breaths for a moment before pushing herself from the door to stand before her mirror.

Unlike most peopleâ??s perception of angelâ??s Iesa had black hair, as deep and dark as a ravenâ??s wing with the same blue highlights. Her skin was pale, but at the same time she looked as if sheâ??d been dusted with gold. Eyes a sapphire green that rivaled any catâ??s took up most of her face, the edges slightly tilted upwards. Her lips were full and soft, a near perfect cupidâ??s bow that sat on her face like a pink temptation. Sheâ??d been told that she rivaled a few of the succubi, but she didnâ??t believe it; though she sometimes wondered if sheâ??d picked the wrong side to fight for.

Shaking away those thoughts and running a comb through wavy locks she checked the time and signed inwardly. Though Gabriel had said sheâ??d be contacted later, Iesa knew that Michael would be showing up at her apartment any minute. Hurrying to dress she grabbed a pair of faded blue jeans that hugged her hips and a green tank top that brought out her eyes. Another quick combing of her hair and Iesa pulled it back into a high, tight pony tail before she heard the doorbell.

Hours later she sat in her car, fingers softly massaging her temples as a headache began. Sheâ??d not eaten in nearly two days and it didnâ??t look like sheâ??d be getting dinner that night either. Yup, shoulda been a succubus she grumbled in her head before she spotted her charge. The girl was barely 16 and sheâ??d been on the streets for half a year, already she was a prostitute and was working as a runner for one of the larger dealers in the area. It was Iesaâ??s job to convince her to go back home and not ruin her life.

â??My job sucks,â? Iesa mumbled as she climbed out of the car and began down the street. At the best of times Iesa was a little over 5â??5, but tonight sheâ??d shrunk, the cold and her lack of food making her slightly testy but she forced herself to ignore the men calling to her from various cars and windows. Looking down at herself she didnâ??t think she looked like one of the girls walking the streets looking for a trick, but who knew what those kind of girls were supposed to look like. Iesa was short but her body was all curving, long lines, and she had legs even one of her angel friends would have killed for. Unlike most of the girls on the street she didnâ??t look to be starving, and her thin leather jacket did little to hide the swell of her breasts beneath her blue t-shirt. Closing her jacket around her body she hugged herself, following her charge, Amy, into one of the bars that Iesa knew well.

Senses tingling she bit her lip. She really really didnâ??t want to go in there. Most of the demons on the lower east side frequented the bar and she could already smell the thick, sickeningly sweet stench of their magic.

Closing her eyes she took a deep breath and followed the girl inside. God, I need a new job.

The sound of people chatting loudly, partying to their delight as they drank their lives away surrounded the bar. It was no more than what Kanto expected it to be. He never imagined he'd be in a bar in the first place, but his stomach urged him to eat and it was the only place nearby that any sort of food at all.

He'd already placed an order, finding that to be one of the hardest things to do in a bar when you have to shout louder then the twenty others surrounding you. Though, that was a half hour ago and it didn't seem like his food was going to be here anytime soon. He really hated this place.

He had no idea who was who here, hearing that some humans are actually demons and angels in disguise. It made him paranoid about everyone he met, knowing that if it were a demon, he could easily be killed by them. His eyes often drifting to the door for a chance to escape, though his stomach not allowing it in the least bit. But upon one of his looks, he noticed someone walking in, who seemed to glow a bit and yet he wouldn't believe it to be an angel for a second if he was able to tell. And she didn't seem like any of the other girls here, wondering what she was doing in such a place. He brushed the long red hair from his turqoise eyes, getting a better glimpse at the girl, seeing she had followed someone in and had an eye on them.

He shrugged a bit, finding that it wouldn't matter if he wanted to chat with the girl or not. He was just slightly taller, 5'7, thin and slender with a slight toned body. He tugged at his black coat, feeling a bit crowded where he was now as more people grew closer. They all had seemed to spot her as well, causing him to shake his head knowing they all had a far better chance anyways since he wasn't one to consult with others.

Iesa looked around the bar, resisting the urge to curl her lip as she spotted some of the patrons. Many were actually humans, but those who weren't watched her wearily. Most knew she was connection to Gabriel and wouldn't want to bother her, but there were a few that would love to pick a fight and see if they could actually beat her. Of course, it wouldn't be a fair fight, the buggers would probably jump me all at the same time and try to keep me from going full out on them she grumbled in her mind. Watching Amy disappear into a back room the angel sighed heavily and headed for the bar, hands tucked into her pockets as she found an empty bar stool and took a seat.

Instead of shouting over the other creatures in the bar she simply looked at the bartender and let her eyes flash to gold, motioning him over with a small flare of power. The imp immediately came over and took her order, forgetting everyone further down the bar. Drink in hand Iesa took the time to look about, keeping her face completely blank as she counted the number of demons filling the bar. The humans were much more interesting, but her attention was drawn to one in particular. He was sitting a little further down the bar and looked decidedly uncomfortable in the place. He seemed to be waiting for something.

With a small shake of her head she took a sip of her drink as she heard her name from the mouth of an old woman next to the human.
"You watchin' Iesa?" the woman chuckled, looking at the angel and nodding her acknowledgment as she looked back at the red-haired human.

Kanto sighed, seeing the woman that entered just before get her order immediately. He wasn't surprised with her looks either, though wondered if that was the only reasoning. He moved over to where the bartender was, right beside the woman and tried to get his attention.

"Sir..." He frowned a bit. "Sir, my food?" He thought he had some sort of response so he headed back to his seat, waiting once more. Though the place only got more and more crowded, making him even more uncomfortable. And he soon realized his food wasn't going to arrive at all. And if that was the case, there was no way he was going to stay here much longer.

He looked to his watch, sighing a bit. It was late, but the night was young still at least. He'd wait another ten minutes for the food and leave if nothing happened. He would have to hitch a ride from a hopefully passing taxi and hit up a fast food joint before home if they made it back in time.

Iesa didn't pay much attention to anything around her for a moment, until the human moved closer and tried speaking to the bartender. Hiding a smile behind her glass the angel watched the human grow more and more frustrated. With a sigh she set down the small glass in her hand and stood, moving over until she was standing next to him. "You don't want to eat here," she said, moving so that she was speaking next to his ear, not wanting to raise her voice too much.

"You never know what you'll get." Spotting her charge leaving Iesa looked up at the man and gave him a smile. Motioning to the door she tucked her hands back into her coat pockets and followed the girl out the door. Taking a second to brush a hand along Amy's arm she sent the girl home with thoughts of doing nothing but sleeping. She'd be safe for the night, Iesa was sure of that, but the man in the bar wouldn't be if he stayed there much longer.

You don't try getting a taxi on this side of town, you probably won't get back out of it.

Kanto blinked, the woman having moved close and began to speak to him. He was worned of the food here and was almost glad he didn't get his food. Though he wondered if he really should trust her. Yet, he seemed as if he had no choice. He'd never been to this part of town and something about her seemed to make truth to things she said.

He noticed her hand gesture towards the door and hesitated to go. That was until he heard a voice in his mind. Somehow his thoughts were read and somehow he was being spoken to. He recognized it barely as the woman's voice since it wasn't blocked by the others at all. "Great... No wonder this place felt bad."

He could feel eyes on him as he said that, biting his lip and quickly making his way out the door. He looked around a bit, sighing as he didn't spot the woman right away. He stepped further outside, finally spotting her and walking closer. "Who... No... what are you?"

Waiting for the human to come out of the bar Iesa had moved a little further down the street, tucking herself into a niche further down the building so she'd be out of the direct line of sight of her charge. Watching the human step from the bar she smiled at his question, stepping out of the shadows and shaking her head. "I have no idea what you mean," she said simply, headed for her car. "If you want something to eat then you should come with me, I'm starved and there's a really nice little place a few blocks down that has the best Italian and Chinese food I've ever tasted."

Looking behind her Iesa gave the human a smile, brushing a lock of dark hair from her eyes as she reached her car. "Interested? It's my treat." From the surrounding buildings Iesa could feel the dark energies of some of the cities less than desirable patrons building, a creeping feeling at the back of her neck telling her that she needed to leave as soon as possible. "So, you in or out?"

"No idea what I mean? But you..." His stomach growled just as she mentioned food, closing his eyes and sighing a bit. He had no energy really to even figure the woman out. "I have no... Your treat? But we just met." He found it a bit odd that someone would be so nice, shrugging a little.

He was going to think on it, but soon felt an odd chill. It made it seem like he had no time at all. "Right.. In." He ran over to her, getting into the vehicle passenger side quickly and taking a seat. He looked around the area, trying to find out where the strange feelings were coming from, but he couldn't see a thing. As if they were all blending into the shadows. "Bad part of town, eh?"

"You could say that," Iesa said as she slid into the car, immediately closing her door and turning on the car. Pulling out and heading for the small restaurant she shivered slightly as she felt eyes on the back of her neck but she didn't bother looking in the mirror; she'd not see anything with her human eyes.

"I know we just met but you seem like a pretty good guy. Besides, I'm hungry, too, and you really don't want to eat anything from that place." Turning into a small parking lot before what looked like a small house she killed the engine and looked at him. "C'mon, we're here."

Without another word she stepped from the car, brushing a hand through her hair as she closed her door and headed for the restaurant.Once outside the car she could smell the food inside, her mouth immediately beginning to water as the scent of spaghetti, lasagna, and General Tows chicken filled the air.

Kanto held his stomach the entire car ride, just staring off into the distant sky. Luckily the ride didn't seem to be that long at all, wondering just how people could trust another so easily." He shrugged a little as he stepped out of the car and looked around, taking in a big wiff of the scent of food.

He rubbed his stomach as he growled and was already beginning to think of what he wanted to order. He was completely forgetting about the strange feelings he's had all day. He wanted the rest of the night to be normal like the day itself was. "Your treat, eh? Well, let's get in then."

Smiling and stepping into the restaurant Iesa unzipped her jacket, licking her lips happily as she moved to a small table near the back of the main room, one nearest to the kitchen. "I'm sure you'll love this place. I've been coming here since I moved to the city." Taking a seat facing the door Iesa settled back in her chair, pushing one across from her out from the table with one small foot. "So what's your pleasure today? The lasagna here is amazing."

Giving him a bright smile the angel tucked a lock of dark hair behind one ear, crossing one leg over the other beneath the table as the warmth of the restaurant seeped into her body, quickly chasing away the cold from the winter chill outside. It's going to snow soon she thought with a small smile, tucking her hands softly between her legs so her digits would warm up more quickly.

Kanto brushed his hair from his face and let off a soft sigh. He then shivered as the warm ear began to surround him, looking over to her. "Must be that time of year..." He looked outside, then back over to her, seeing she'd already taken to a seat. He sat down in the seat she pushed out, blinking at how she'd done it. "Shouldn't the man offer the chair to the lady?" He teased a little.

He then thought a moment, lasagna sounding wonderful. He nodded and looked around the place, finding it didn't have any terrible essence at all. "Lasagna sounds magnificent." He let out a soft sigh as he was finally warm and relaxed. "I must say though... You have to let me pay you back somehow." He smiled just slightly to the woman before him.

Back
Top Bottom