Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

FATE

Pazzo

Put me on your face. It will be fun.
Supporter
Yes. The system that uses the 4 dice with the +/blanks/- signs on them.

I bought a copy of the core rules, and it's ease of use is growing on me.

Anyone else here use it for anything?

I haven't done FATE myself, though I played in one game that used FAE (Fate Accelerated). Not quite the same though I know its a simplified version of it.

It was fun the fact it played up negative traits of a character and rewarded you for playing it. It was an Avatar: The Last Airbender RP and I was playing a spunky nonbender. We got on a sky bison and my characters natural love for danger had her jumping around on the Bison and nearly knocking someone over and then accidentally stumbling and falling to her near death before being saved.

It sadly didn't last long but just the fact such a scene happened always made me love the general idea of the system.

I've played it a few times in the past but never for anything long term. The flexibility of the system allows you to adapt it for nearly any idea you might have, especially ones that would be too difficult to use another system for. FATE does lack mechanical depth but it is open-ended so it has its place. In just the two games I played with it, FATE was used to emulate both Titanfall and Fire Emblem. Those are quite far removed from each other yet worked perfectly in each case.

The only real downside of FATE, which may not be a problem for you or for the specific game concept in practice, is that it doesn't really work well with the traditional RPG elements like loot and items. This is a problem with many open-ended systems like Mutants and Masterminds, not just FATE itself, so it can be hard to use for the more stereotypical dungeon dives and such where finding new gear is a core part of the expected experience.

Back
Top Bottom