Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

ᴛʜᴇ ʀɪᴛᴜᴀʟ {Hexx & Saber}

Hexx

Deliciously dark
Ellie.png
Homecoming

One of the hardest choices in her life had been to leave her coven. Eleanor Thorne took no such decision lightly. It wasn't something you could just up and leave, it was a commitment for life. Leaving a coven had serious consequences. One of them was that the witch would be exiled, and no longer allowed on the land of the coven, or any property that technically was under coven jurisdiction, and of course, no longer access to the funds the coven holds. Aside from the technicalities, it was a devastating event. It was leaving one's family, people they'd grown up with. For Ellie, that was her sister and grandmother, and countless coven sisters. It wasn't that she wished to leave them, but she wanted her own life. The life of a witch was not easy, it was filled with concerns for humans, for the balance, a constant war if you will. A battle to keep the balance and protect all. It was a tiring and unforgiving life, Ellie had seen it take so many of her loved ones, her mother included. It was not a life she truly wished for, so she refused to take leadership and promptly discussed leaving with her Grandmother. The pair made a pact, she was not to be exiled, however, when the coven should need her she would return to provide what she could, should it be a desperate enough situation.

Since she left at twenty-five, Eleanor had four fabulously normal years. In fact, she was preparing to have a rather lively 30th birthday party in the city. The little witch had done well, she'd carved a life for herself away from witchcraft, hundreds of miles away in the heart of the city she'd opened up an Irish bar, it was packed most nights and had wonderful live music; it felt like heaven on earth, to her at least. Much to her dismay, the call she'd been dreading came one night as she was closing up the bar. Her heart sank. One could hope that they'd never be needed, but Ellie knew sooner or later it was going to come. All she could hope for was that it was a swift trip and she wouldn't be needed for more than a week, yet, somehow she doubted that would be the case.

"You are needed." It's all her grandmother really said, and so, she acted.

It was a quick enough flight, and thankfully her charms still worked as well as ever, nobody even dared try to search her luggage. The petite witch rented a car, an SUV much to her dismay, a standard black range rover that seemed like it'd seen better days. Her travel was brisk, she didn't adhere to speed limits, but she knew the area like the back of her hand. It almost felt... normal, driving down the old dirt roads, whizzing through the trees with her brights on. Soon enough, her old home came into view as she drove down the long driveway. The home was a manor, large and imposing, it'd been in their family for many generations. There was a good deal of wealth in the house, the acres of land and the valuables inside the home. Thankfully, the witches made enough during their day jobs, or with alchemy for the right clients to stay more than comfortable.

56eaa2b5e834bdf296da630263c7755b.jpg

The moment she'd arrived home her grandmother welcomed her in and sat her down. She explained that Ellie had been summoned home because of the darkness growing in their town. Several of the witches who had the gift of sight had been having visions in the form of night terrors for weeks, and they were blossoming into terror among the coven. Eleanor's grandmother, Margaret, had expressed that they'd seen visions of monsters, beasts ripping through from the other world. Another world, an ethereal plain, was all very similar as they were all places that should be kept separate. Even the ethereal plain, limbo, ghosts walked among them in a similar world, almost coexisting but it would still be wrong for them to come back to the realm of the living. Everything had its place, its purpose. As far as Eleanor could tell, someone was dabbling in those different worlds, they were touching something they shouldn't be... It enraged her; once again her life was on hold because someone dabbled in forsaken arts.

After several days of spending time with the coven and research, it almost felt like Ellie had never left. Her sister, Lydia, was overjoyed to have her back. All seemed to be rather comfortable. Ellie was back in her routine of cooking for the coven, which gave Margaret a break and she even took on teaching the girls some alchemy lessons. It was almost enough to make her miss being back at the manor, but she could never admit to herself that she truly missed it, or her family. What life was this?

The next night Eleanor was walking past the bedrooms and closed the doors gently, ensuring all of the girls were tucked in. However, when she reached her little sister's bedroom, Lydia was nowhere to be seen. It was roughly two am, something seemed amiss. At times like this, they'd all been told not to leave at night, or alone. Even though they were all eighteen and adults, it was still a rule. With a muffled sigh, Ellie grabbed a flashlight and headed downstairs in her silken black nightgown with lace trim along the bottom and along the v-neck that trailed down toward her ample mounds. As she paced the house, Ellie didn't hear a peep or see anyone. Frustration began to build, enough for soft words to flow from her lips, "Sanguis ad sanguinem, os ad os, ostende mihi ubi familia mea vagatur," (blood to blood, bone to bone, show me where my family roam). A little firefly burst to life before her, illuminating the old wooden interior before flying toward the kitchen and toward the back door. Ellie followed with haste as the ball of light continued to fly, straight toward the forest line.

5779d1275c84493bfcdad70a925f985e.jpg
a3d2ee0ca63384f5968b4585fabe4158.jpg

The female's heart began to sink as she noticed the family crypt gate was left ajar. With a wave of her hand, the firefly disappeared in a little puff of light. As she stepped inside, she could feel the energy ebbing in waves. Long red curls bounced as she raced into the crypt and hurried down the stairs. Much to her dismay, she saw light simmering from the main room. As she advanced, she could see Lydia in the middle of what seemed to be a summoning circle, with several other girls placed at each pentagram corner. The moment she heard her sister speak the words from a dark leather book she held, there was no time to consider what she had to do.

"De profundis ad te voco, ad me veni, animam meam offero ad ligandum, ostende te coram me, suscipe munus meum." (From the depths I summon you, come to me, I offer my soul to bind, show yourself before me, accept my offering).

In a split second Ellie burst into a sprint until she reached Lydia, the petite brunette was cast out of the circle with a swift shove before Eleanor dropped to her knees and grabbed the ceremonial knife and placed the blade against her skin, she pressed hard enough to cause a shallow incision, blood spilling down onto the ground and as she moved her hand into the bowl that was offered, full of fruit, herbs and what seemed to be a wreath. Pagan offerings. As her blood hit the offerings they ignited, the flame roared to life with vigour, dancing and flickering. Lydia slowly rose, looking bewildered and sheepish as she watched her sister complete the ritual.

"Eleanor, what..." The youthful voice seemed shaken, and the fear in her eyes was unmistakeable.

"You FOOLISH GIRL. What the fuck were you doing this for? You do realise binding something like this to you can kill you, yes? AND USING ALL OF YOUR POWERS COMBINED WITH OUR ANCESTORS? ARE YOU INSANE?" The rage that spilt from her was beyond anything her sister had ever seen. "You know that once you speak those words an offering has to be made, and what sister would I be if I watched you throw your life away for this." Ellie's voice was filled with pain, with disappointment.

"We just... Ellie, it's not that big of a deal, I read it all through, and I could've just broken the bond. We need protection!"

"What you need is a lobotomy if you believe you can harness a god, that you could bind them to your will and that they would allow that. This is FORBIDDEN magic Lydia, for good reason. There is no breaking a bond, not a bond like this, the stronger the being, the riskier it is to break the bond." Eleanor sighed softly, shaking her head as she remained on her knees. There was a sudden pull she could feel, it lunged her body forwards, and her palms slammed down on the hard stone before her as she felt her power begin to drain. Whatever god she'd summoned, they'd heard it and they were answering, the binding was happening whether she wanted it to or not. Eleanor panted softly, it felt like she was growing dizzy, and her vision began to blur.

"This is... Why I didn't want you... doing this..." Eleanor gasped softly. The power she'd used from their ancestors in the crypt was a foul way to try and bind a god, they would be expecting more power than Lydia could control, far more. Eleanor was skilled, and powerful, but nowhere near the essence that would be felt from the summon. Hopefully, it would be enough to keep her alive while the being finished their binding. "Get the girls out, and you, GO." She snapped to Lydia and the concerned-looking girls. In seconds they cleared out, tails between their legs as they headed home.

Ellie_ender.png

Last edited:
caius.gif

The passage of time was different for the old gods, for all omnipotent beings in the realm in between, where they watched the lesser creations offer their prayers and sacrifices to stay in the good graces of the immortals. Caius wasn't sure of the lifetimes he had been around, being a lesser god, he hadn't been around at the creation of the world, just the creation of the gifted mortals. He was there when the decision had been made to reward the most devout followers with talents that connected them to the old ways. After that, it was only a matter of time before the normal humans began fearing the gifted and hunting them like animals. Burning them on pyres, making a spectacle of the torture and death of those who were different. Over the centuries, the numbers of followers had dwindled due the hunting of the supernatural and Caius felt a shift in the world when his followers began to diminish.

The gods rarely revealed themselves in the human realm anymore with the lack of power they were receiving from their devotees. The only way to reach the earthly plane now, was to be summoned so a god could be bound to a powerful witch. A constant source of energy was necessary to stay on the human realm and regardless of the strength that the gods still held, traveling between planes was draining. So the most one could do was watch through the looking glass at the deterioration of the mortal world. Wars were common, at least to Caius. It seemed every few decades another fruitless battle would overtake the world and leave a new scar. Where magic used to prosper, the land was now barren and harvested for all it had when mortals caught wind of a legend or a rumor. Creatures were hunted and extinguished to the point where they could no longer be found in the realm of man.

Caius particularly wasn't bothered by the fact that he could visit the mortal world because of those facts. Humans were greedy and envious. If ever they met someone who had more, they did what they could to attain it. He was more than content to watch from afar and keep his subjects content with the random gift or answered prayer when their offerings were pleasing. Not only had the deity only been summoned a handful of times over his endless life, he hadn't had the best experiences. Even though these witches and magic users were different than other mortals, they all wanted the same thing. Power. With the old gods and deities fading away into myth and folktale, the witches still wanted more power for themselves. To use them for their own selfish desires. That was one thing that seemed to stay the same no matter how much the world had evolved.

The enchanted forest where he spent most of his time was hazy with lavender light as he quietly trekked through the trees, a path he'd followed over a thousand times. Flickering fairy lights floated lazily in the air around him before he felt a burning sensation wrapping and slithering around his left wrist. It had been long time since he'd felt anything similar, but he could recall this feeling being present when being summoned to the mortal realm. He inhaled slowly, feeling the essence of whomever summoned him being siphoned into his being. This summoner was powerful, and as the burning around his wrist began to tug, he allowed it and closed his eyes. He focused on the connection that was being forged and used his newly acquired power to travel to the mortal plane as a summoning circle scorched the grass beneath his feet.

The subtle sounds of his forest haven faded into nothing and the softness of the grass was replaced with cold stone. The scent of dirt and lingering death wrapped around him, setting his mood of the situation. When Caius opened his eyes again, the crimson glow from the summoning circle was fading and he caught sight of his summoner huddled over on the ground. The witch was young, far too young to harness the power that he'd experienced during the summoning. His eyes shifted down to the smoldering chain that had formed on his left forearm and watched as it slithered along the stone floor before encircling around the woman's wrist. There was no doubt now, this woman was his summoner, but she looked like she was about to pass out. The last time he'd been summoned, the magic user hadn't been drained in the slightest. Was it possible that the new generation of witches were growing weaker?

"Why have you summoned me?" His voice was deep and his tone, harsh. The deity was minorly disgruntled at the state of the witch who practically laid at his feet. At this rate, would she even be able to keep him anchored on this plane? After a moment of silence, Caius squatted down in front of the woman and lifted her chin. He inhaled deeply, drawing from his own essence and released his held breath. Bright orange and red sparks swirled with dark smoke and danced past his lips, flickering erratically in the air before finding their way into the witch's mouth. "That will help stabilize your magic. Now, why have I been summoned by a witch who barely had the strength to summon me?

Ellie.png
Bound

The power shifted the very moment the being took form before her. Eleanor could feel the air within the chamber change, it almost felt as if she was suffocating for a brief moment. His power rippled through every open space. Before raising her head Eleanor noticed the slight searing pain that curled around her left wrist, chains began to form from her and trailed forward to the form she dreaded to set her eyes upon. As he knelt before her, there was no hope in avoiding looking at the God. The warmth of his hand brushed along her chin as applied gentle pressure to raise her head. Everything within her screamed to try to send him back to wherever she'd pulled him from, but she knew it wouldn't be an easy feat. The sparks that appeared like floating embers travelled from him and flew into her mouth. The weakness she felt began to subside, in fact, she felt truly alive.

Eleanor needed to take a breath to consider all that was happening, and how best to answer his question. The woman almost felt insulted, it was a feat to pull off to summon and bind a God, clearly, his experience had been different.
"I didn't want to summon you," It was to the point, there was no emotion in her voice. "My sister thought it would be a good idea to try and harness the power of our bloodline here, in this crypt." Eleanor rose her hands to point him to the coffins that had been crafted from stone, they seemed like part of the wall itself. "Before she could connect herself, I took her place." Large green eyes glimmered up toward him. Finally, she drew her legs into a comfortable seating position beneath her body. "She wanted to summon you to help us, there are... Difficulties we face and we need more power, unfortunately, she chose you. If I hadn't taken her place, I doubt you'd be here and she would certainly be dead." Still, her tone remained void of emotion. If he looked closely enough he would see the fear behind her eyes, it took all of her strength to hide it. To sit before a God was something she never expected in life.

Slowly, Eleanor rose to her feet and brushed off the dirt from her knees and legs. As much research as she'd done, she truly didn't know how the bond would work, if he would be constantly with her... She'd have to find somewhere for him to sleep. Did he even sleep? There were many questions simmering in her mind before she heard the all too familiar sound of slippers hitting the cool stone path. An older woman made her way into the Crypt with a look that could challenge most demons. Margaret was not known for being subtle. Eleanor half expected to be beaten with one of the heavy-footed slippers. Yet, when she reached Eleanor all she could offer was a look of disdain. "Of all the things you could do Eleanor, you could've broken the circle, anything but this. You know what happens to witches who step out of line." The older witch was clearly concerned for her granddaughter, but her anger was so abundant.
"She said the words already, Nana, I couldn't just wipe it clean, you know that. What the hell would you have done?" Eleanor couldn't help but feel her own anger rise up, she'd had to save her sister's life, she'd done it in the safest way possible. The pair stared each other down, as they had been known to do. It was a wonder why Eleanor had left in the first place.

"Keep him away from the other girls." Her tone was bitter, it was almost as if she was telling Eleanor the same. "And you," The older woman turned to look at the God for the first time, emerald eyes that resembled Eleanor's gazed into his eyes as she spoke. "You hurt my granddaughter and I will make sure you never have peace. Understand? Good." As she warned a God her granddaughter looked almost in awe, that's where she got her fire from. It's why they butted heads so much, there was a power in both of them to take control, to lead, and to stand up when nobody else would. With her intentions clear, Margaret took her leave. It was something for Eleanor to see her grandmother in a soft baby blue robe with her cream slippers threaten a being that was easily thousands of years old. The very thought brought a smile to her lips.

"Do you drink?" Long red curls bounced as the younger witch turned to face her new companion. "Of course you do, come on." She didn't even wait for an answer. The woman led him through the crypt and through the lengthy garden until she reached the back door of the house and let them in. It was rustic, it still smelled of wood and the same scent she'd smelled when she was young despite the rooms being updated. With the glass ceiling, the stars glimmered down toward them, giving the kitchen an eerie look until Eleanor gave a wave of her hand and caused several candles scattered around to light, that gave a warm golden glow. After rummaging she found an old bottle of Scotch. Two glasses were presented before she poured them both a double and took a deep breath. The witch gently nudged the glass toward him as she took a swig of her own, flinching slightly as the strong liquid trickled down her throat, warming it as it went.

8e7f1abea307412acd525774d6a6f5e1.jpg

Ellie_ender.png

caius.gif
Caius had not expected such a drawn out answer from the young witch. At most he thought she was going to tell him exactly why he was on this plane at all, but instead she had to give him an entire narrative about how she even came to be in this crypt. From the sounds of it, the woman's sister had unknowingly attempted to summon him without a sufficient source of power. Before Caius could even get a word in, another witch meandered in and the two began to bicker. The older witch even approached him and had the gall to threaten him. He scoffed before folding his arms over his chest and scowling. Was is customary for the mortals to act this way towards their deities? What happened to the days of bowing and showing their respect through sacrifice and offerings? If he hadn't been in such shock, he would given the older woman a piece of his mind.

"Is this how you treat your gods nowadays?" He asked with a tilt of his head. The volume of his voice dampening to avoid an echo off the stone walls. His eyes shifted to the younger woman and he lifted an eyebrow. "Is it customary in this era to be so disrespectful to your gods? I was at least expecting some sort of offering upon my arrival."

The woman seemed to ignore him, which irritated him even more, as the older witch shuffled out of the tomb and he was standing mute. Such a strange time he must be in where the old gods weren't revered. He was about to question her again until she mentioned 'drink' and turned, walking away from him. Reluctantly, he followed the witch and looked around as they left the stone building, making their way through a well kept garden that the god wanted to admire. But the woman kept walking and as much as Caius wanted to explore, he also couldn't lose sight of his summoner. Not because he didn't want to, but because if she happened to get too far from him, his left arm burn and the invisible bind tighten. In the past, it was the summoner who would have to keep up with the deity, so this was quite a different situation for him.

When they reached the massive house, again, the god found himself staring as he entered. It had been a long time since he'd been in the mortal realm. The air in the house was warmer, and while Caius had been busy looking around, the woman had poured two glasses with an amber liquid he wasn't familiar with. He glanced down at the offered drink that had been slid towards him. Even on the earthly plane he'd only ever drank alcohol created from fermented fruits or herbs. He lifted the glass delicately as he analyzed the liquid before drinking it in one swallow. It had a pleasant smoky taste and a warming sensation that pleasantly ignited his throat.

"What do you call this?" He asked as he set his empty glass back down on the counter and grabbed the bottle to pour himself another. "And what do I call you, mortal?" Caius wasn't usually one to ask a lot of questions, but this woman hadn't even introduced herself to him. It was disrespectful, really. To not name yourself to an old god who had been summoned for protection, or at least that's what he thought from what the witch had mentioned about 'difficulties'. "You're going to have to fill me in on your time. Everything is very different from the last summoning that I can remember." Caius gulped down the alcohol again and reveled in the heat it provided. Even though that it took a decent amount of spirits to reach inebriation, it could still alter his physical sensations. Though two drinks wasn't going to do it. Maybe if he drank the whole bottle.

Ellie.png
Bound

Delicate fingers brushed over her glass's rim before she began swirling the liquid inside. "This is... An alcoholic beverage, it's called Scotch. A type of whiskey that can only be called Scotch because it's made in Scotland. It's made from barley, well, mainly anyway." The redhead seemed exhausted despite the rush of magic he'd given her, she hadn't expected anything like this on her trip home. "Eleanor, what do I even call you?" The female hadn't even considered it. As he drank so willingly she reached forward, grasping the bottle of Scotch before refilling his glass with a heft amount of alcohol. "I think we'll best save that all for the morning, I'll have to show you as well as tell you. Depending on when you were last here... And it seems like it must've been a long time ago, there's a lot to learn." The witch gave a hint of a smile as she leaned over the counter, relying on its comfortable position.

"About earlier, it's been so long since any of us have even prayed to Gods let alone spoken to them. It's forbidden magic for us to even... Attempt to summon you. I apologise for my Nana, she's... Just angry, furious really. It's human nature to lash out and I'm afraid she's always been quick to anger, with what my sister did, well with what I finished. Other witches will want to exile us, and stop us from using our abilities. It happened a few hundred years ago, the biggest covens joined together and decided that summoning Gods was something we should never do again. You see, some witches are good, and some are... Different. More chaotic. Just as any mortals are, I was told a witch summoned a god, like yourself, and they caused havoc. Almost ended two large covens, if they'd managed that back then half of us wouldn't be alive today. Since then it's been forbidden, even for protection. My sister should've known better."

Eleanor downed a good deal of the Scotch in her glass and embraced the warmth down her throat before her gaze wandered up to the being. He seemed far more human than she would've thought, she wondered if he needed to sleep and eat as they all did. Even with all the excitement over the past hour, she was more than willing to curl up in bed and wake up to see that it had all been a nightmare. Unfortunately, she knew better than that. "So, do you need to sleep, eat, bathe?" The female was curious, and she wanted to know if she needed to show him how to use the shower and if she needed to find him a bed to sleep in. Despite the fact that he was a god, no doubt the women would find it... odd to have a man sleeping in their home. For hundreds of years it had just been women, witches naturally tended to have female children, and as far as they knew only women could inherit the power they held.

Several minutes later the stairs near the kitchen creaked as one of the younger witches, Kayla, made her way into the rather dimly lit kitchen. Even in the low light, the blonde's hair radiated with a platinum glow. She had been one of the only ones still in bed, she clearly hadn't been involved in the ritual at all. "Ooh now, who is this handsome dish? Ellie, I thought we weren't allowed to bring men back for a little... Session." The seventeen-year-old caught Eleanor off guard, causing the redhead's eyes to widen before shaking her head.
"Oh Kayla, you don't even want to know. Speaking of that, I should show you my bedroom. This is Kayla, by the way, one of our young students." The young blonde snickered slightly, "I sure as hell aint gonna be the one telling Maggie." Eleanor figured she would wait until the god liked the idea or not. She wondered how far their bond would go, if she could travel without him, or if they physically had to be within a certain distance.

Ellie_ender.png

caius.gif
Caius watched Eleanor carefully as she explained the amber liquid. She filled his glass once more, almost to the brim and he nodded his head before downing the alcohol quickly in one swallow. He savored the unfamiliar taste and a satisfied sigh escaped him as his set his glass on the counter once more, a gentle tap from the glass. It was strange for a witch not to know whom they had summoned. Most of the time it was the deity that fed them power or an associated lesser god, but in this time it must've been a less planned event than it was in the past since this had been more of an 'accidental' summoning.

"You may call me Caius." He answered as he looked around the room once more. "It has been centuries, from what I can tell by the," His eyes analyzed the red haired woman for a moment before he spoke again. "attire and language used in this time."

Forbidden magic? Caius's brow furrowed a bit when Eleanor mentioned that part. Back in the old days, it was common for magic users to summon a deity for almost anything, but the abuse of deities wasn't uncommon. Using them to retaliate against other covens to gain more power was something Ciaus himself had never been a part of, and he never wished it upon any other god. To hear Eleanor confirm that it had even become a problem among the witches was a bit disappointing. Perhaps that was the reason why he hadn't been to the mortal plane in so long. And perhaps it was the reason that the magic users had lost their way in the first place.

"I'll need the basic necessities of any living being while I'm here." Caius answered, crossing his arms over his chest. "The main thing I'll absolutely need from you is a consistent flow of mana to be able to maintain my corporeal form." He'd openly admit that he wasn't sure if Eleanor could supply him with the mana that he needed, but for the sake of their new found partnership, he kept his mouth shut.

There were several thoughts invading Caius's mind as he heard, but didn't listen, to Eleanor's words. How long was he even going to stay in this plane? And what sort of things were going to happen where Eleanor's sister thought it necessary to summon him? Before he could form these thoughts into audible speech, another young woman appeared. Her hair was pale, maybe the palest he'd ever seen, but she seemed a bit younger than Eleanor in the way she spoke.

"Sessions?" Caius arched an eyebrow before addressing Eleanor. "What sort of sessions is she talking about? Are men not allowed to practice magic?" These new age witches were very free spirited in the way they talked to each other, especially around him. Was no one aware of who he was? If Eleanor was older than Kayla, why wasn't the blonde giving her the proper respect? "Is it normal for students to be so flippant with the elder witches?" His eyes shifted to Kayla and back to Eleanor. Caius wasn't sure of the bond he shared with Eleanor quite yet. When he had been younger, it wasn't uncommon for the god to have more control over the witch, not that they ever abused that power. Perhaps it was because his summoning was still fresh, but he hadn't felt anything other than the initial binding and the moderate weight he felt on his left forearm. He did know most of the inner workings of a bond, though it could vary depending on the individual witch.

"Perhaps you can take me to your room and we can discuss the terms of our bond." It wasn't often that Caius was in a position of being in need of others. Especially a witch, but he was new to this era and if he was going to learn about it, he needed Eleanor's information.

Ellie.png
Amused

Caius. The name didn't ring a bell, she'd not come across it in one of her books, which meant she'd have to get to know him the old-fashioned way. Eleanor could only try and imagine how old he truly was and all that he'd seen. It seemed like an amusing surprise that Caius would live mostly as they did, although she wasn't sure what she'd expected. That meant he'd eat, sleep and need to bathe. It was amusing to think of an old God sleeping or needing to eat. When he mentioned the mana the witch felt a frown forming over her delicately trimmed brows, she wasn't sure just how much he'd need, and if she could even manage it. No wonder witches barely summoned gods nowadays, it seemed to require so much power, not only just to summon them but to keep them in the world. Part of Eleanor imagined it may even be a good thing if she couldn't keep him present, wouldn't that make their problem go away? Her concern would be the repercussions for such a thing, every spell comes with a cost, and Ellie was wise enough to know that something like that would most likely have some downsides.

d35798fadf3b2073fd232840abe5df46.jpg
Eleanor chuckled slightly to herself as Caius asked her about what Kayla had said; she'd clear that up later. When he suggested going up to her room, Eleanor gave a warm smile and nodded happily. It would be a good time to explain about the coven and some of the history she'd grown up learning, it seemed as though he'd missed quite a lot. The redhead got up from her seat and made her way, slowly enough for Caius to follow her easily, through the long hallway and up along the wooden staircase. On the next floor, she led the deity to her room, which was at the end of the hallway, on the opposite side that the stairs faced. It was serene, really. The room smelled of wood, faint traces of burned incense and a light trail of perfume.

"To answer your questions, younger witches here do respect their elders, but I left the coven for some time. I intend to go home and away from the coven when I'm done making sure that they're safe. I don't really have the ground to stand on to command their respect, not any more." It was true, she'd been away so long she didn't feel that she could take the reins back even if she wanted to, but to her, it was lighthearted and fun, still. "She was just mocking me really, playful. You see what she meant by sessions is that..." The female couldn't help but chuckle as she made her way further into her room and offered a seat on the small seat in front of her bed to Caius. "She meant to imply we were having sex. That I brought you home to sleep with you." The redhead couldn't help but chuckle to herself with a shake of her head. "And actually... You know, I've never seen males use magic before. In the books we have, the last known male to use magic lived hundreds of years ago. Some speculated that it was a curse on the race, a way to weaken the bloodlines. Some people think it's complete rubbish, I have no idea what to believe. Either way, it's hard to deny males lost their abilities with magic, many have tried to rekindle them but I've never seen it work."

Eleanor began to pace slightly through the room, over the old rug in front of her bed. Each footfall was tender, delicate, and rather uneven. "You can sleep in my bed tonight. I'll take the couch," The female waved to her bed with a dismissive hand. Her mind was clearly busy with other things. "You need the power to remain here. And I know breaking bonds with Gods comes at a price, this is why it's forbidden. It's not easy to make this bond, not for us. Maybe it was easier for witches before, but nowadays it's... Well," The redhead ran delicate fingers through her hair as she tried to think. How could she provide enough power for a God? She could ask her bloodline for power, but that would no doubt bite her in the ass. "Do you know of any way Witches could channel more power?" Her expression was scared, apprehensive. What was she going to do, how could she fix this?

8279d7f39655f37cc232e6f07b0e450f.jpg

"The bathroom is right through here," It was as if she couldn't keep herself still or focused. Maybe the reality of the situation just seemed too difficult. Regardless, she stepped toward a door that was deeper into her room that led to an en suite. The room was rustic, like a lot of the house, with original beams still in place. "There are towels in here, anything you'll need. There's a shower and a tub, so whatever you prefer..." She wondered if he even knew what they were. "I can show you how to use them. We can also go shopping in town and get you some clothes." The thought was almost amusing, taking a God to buy clothes and teaching him how to use the bathroom facilities. It was a strange thing, that was for certain. "Do you get cold?" She asked softly, considering her room was at the top of the building most of the heat came upward but considering the heating bills, it was barely on. Over the years she'd used a small fireplace in the room to keep her warm. At least that's something he may understand how to work.

Ellie_ender.png

caius.gif
Leaving the coven was unheard of when Caius was in his prime as a god. Even if the witches weren't blood related, leaving one's coven could result in a harsh punishment. Perhaps in this modern age it was more accepted with the low numbers of magic users nowadays. Still, he found it odd and thought that he might find this time a bit unnatural with all the technology, as well as the breaking of cherished traditions. Regardless of her standing in the coven, it should've been the natural order that Eleanor be respected by the younger members of the family. Caius followed the fiery haired woman up the stairs as she explained what the younger witch had implied with her comment.

"Sex?" He was a bit confused. Caius was under the impression that he had been summoned for protection, not for anything else. It wasn't common that a god would be summoned for physical purposes, but it wasn't unheard of. "Is that the real reason I was summoned? I am not a fertility god, so I won't be able to help with any blessings for offspring. Mating with me won't guarantee a pregnancy."

When they entered the room, Caius examined the room with indifference. He sat when he was offered a seat and inhaled slowly, taking in the incense as it reminded him of the forest. As he watched Eleanor pace, he was a bit confused as to why his presence was such a huge event. Sure, a god hadn't been called to the Earthly plane in centuries, but it shouldn't have been this big of an occurrence. Hadn't the elder witches taught the younger generation of their existence at the least?

"You may keep your bed." Caius replied when it was offered. "While I can sleep to maintain energy and stamina, it is not necessary. The mana that you are producing should be enough to sustain me, for the time being." He glanced at Eleanor with a quirked eyebrow. Her magic was sufficient to keep him present, though, if he were to be completely honest, if he were to use any power of his own, it would probably drain the poor woman. When he noticed the how tense and anxious she was, Caius felt the invisible chain on his arm tighten and he flexed his hand to try and relieve it.

He stood then, taking a step and a half until he reached Eleanor, grabbing her by the shoulders. She had shot off a lot of questions and directions at one time, enough that Caius himself was getting irritated with how distressed the woman seemed to be. As soon as his hands had touch her shoulders, he exhaled slowly, exuding a calming aura that he hoped would ease the witch's worries. At least for the night. He wouldn't be able to relax if she kept radiating restlessness. He could've compelled her to sleep, and maybe he should have, but he didn't want to coerce his summoner so early into their new bond.

"The elements in this plane don't effect me as much as it does you." He answered finally as he dropped his hands from the witch and turned towards the window. "I can feel the temperatures and enjoy heat, but I can't be burned or frozen by earthly elements. At best, I'll just need some new attire to seamlessly blend into this society." Caius looked over his shoulder into the room that housed the tub. "Though I do think a soak would be nice." Caius made his way into the large room and looked around. A faucet, he did remember how to function that and he didn't hesitate to close the drain before turning on the water until it reached a scalding heat. "Stay while I bathe so we can discuss things moving forward."

As the water reached an acceptable level, he shut the water off and shed the small amount of clothing that he was wearing before sinking into the soothing water. His head rested back as he closed his eyes and reveled in the heat. Even gods could take pleasure in simple things. A hot bath was one of Caius's guilty pleasures. With his eyes still closed, he rested his arms on the side of the tub, the cooler air making the water more enjoyable.

"So why did you leave your coven?"

Ellie.png
Bubbles

A genuinely warm laugh escaped her lips when she heard his comment, there was an amusing idea, and she just couldn't help but let her amusement slip. "Oh god no, no," The redhead shook her head, causing the long curled strands to bounce along her shoulders as she felt a sense of awkwardness fading the more she embraced the amusement his words brought. "Usually when guys are in this house it's because we've brought them home... You know? Sex for pleasure, not for mating?" Ellie wasn't sure if he'd even considered the notion, but she guessed she'd find out. Where had he been if not on earth? In a different plain? It was interesting to consider.

As he announced she may keep her bed, the female nodded slowly. It seemed as though she just needed to keep him running with mana. She would need to make some herbal tea to help amplify her magic and keep herself on the top of her game. The witch was considering multiple ways to enhance her natural abilities when she felt a strange warmth approach her, the link on her arm felt tight, as if it was wrapping around her wrist to restrain it. The moment his fingers grasped onto her shoulders she felt a bolt of power that drew her gaze to look up at him. The female watched as he exhaled slowly, she could feel the calming aura he allowed to pour from his body and she embraced it wholly. Finally, she felt herself calm down, her heart began to beat at a more regular pace and she found herself tuning more into who she was, and not the stress of the situation.

It was interesting to learn about what he felt, "I can find you some clothes," She already had several ideas for how to provide him with something until she could take him into town to get him some more clothing for his stay. Before she could ask him what he'd prefer he already was making his way into the bathroom. Ellie was about to close the door for him when he asked her to stay or commanded it. The witch wasn't sure what to expect, she closed the door behind her to keep the heat inside the room. When she turned she noticed he was naked and suddenly averted her gaze. "Not very shy, are you?" She couldn't help the little chuckle that left her. He was a God, after all. As he nestled into the tub she noticed his eyes closed, so she took a moment to look over him and admire his features.

"You know, you forgot something." The female noted as she leaned over the tub and poured in some liquid that smelled of lavender and she took the liberty to swirl it around in the water by his feet until bubbles began to emerge. The calming scent filled the room as the bubbles formed. Once she'd done that she settled at the bottom of the tub, she eased her back against the stone structure as she contemplated his question.

"Ah, leaving the coven," A soft, tender sigh left her full lips as she leaned her head back against the base of the tub. "It's a long story, but I suppose we have time." Ellie wasn't usually open, but she decided it was time to at least be honest, if not with him then with herself. A small flick of her wrist drew the bottle of glistening amber fluid to her side, somehow... She didn't feel any inch of magic being used, it felt... Odd. Regardless of the weird interaction, she grabbed the bottle, took off the cap, and took a long sip. "My mother and father were here many years ago. My mother was a witch, clearly, father was a mortal." Another long sip echoed through the room before she placed the bottle down and inhaled slowly. "My mother gave everything to the Coven. Not only her powers but her life, every moment was here. She even had me here, downstairs... My father knew, which is rare in our world. Usually, women run away and have their children with the coven to be raised that way. But... He was there, we were a family. I was young when he died. He was home alone with me while the coven went on a mission to find and eliminate a corrupt coven, demonology practices, and the like. He died protecting me, I didn't see it but I remember the way everyone acted." The redhead tossed a glance back at him before offering him the bottle with an extended hand behind her.

"My mother died when I was sixteen. That one I saw. There was an attack at our home, downstairs in the kitchen you can still see the scorches on the floor if you look hard enough. She was defending the home with my grandmother, rogue witches broke in, I never understood why but we could never find out who they were, the covens we spoke to said they'd never seen them. She was protecting me, I ran downstairs when I heard a noise and they saw me. She immediately tried to get me out of the house, to run away. I refused, they found us, and she stood in front of me before they incinerated her. She was too distracted to protect herself. My grandmother managed to come to us, but by then they left. It felt like they intended to kill her or they fucked up and realized their mistake. That's why my Grandmother was so bold with you. I'm all she has left, you see. After seeing her daughter die she couldn't bare seeing me die too. My mother was supposed to take over the coven, but she never made it... I am next... Or was. I left when I was eighteen when I could. I packed my bags and headed out. I knew I was being prepped to become the head of the coven, but seeing all this death... My family, what happens when another attack comes? Why is it our duty? I was selfish if I'm truly honest." The tone of her voice was soft, yet there was a firmness of truth and conviction. The female took the bottle and took another long sip before she continued. "I felt like if I stayed, I'd live the same life. I'd die young, with no chance of a family, no chance of being happy. You see, I don't know how it was in your times but now... Black magic is so much more prominent, demons are being summoned, and there's so much to try and contain. This is all my life would be. That's why I left because I wanted to live my own way. My grandmother granted me permission to leave; it's rare for a coven leader to do. Usually, it's exile, and you're not welcome back. But it was as if she understood, more than anyone else. Despite what I'd been through I'd lost some respect, as you saw. I am just the runaway, the one who couldn't handle the pressure. The selfish one." The female gave a gentle shrug, as if she dismissed the comments she'd made.

Once she placed the bottle down she raised herself up from the floor and settled herself along the wall surrounding the bath, her legs crossed before leaning her back against the wall. Her gaze assessed him, ignoring his nudity, it was a surprise at first but she was an adult. "What about you, Caius? Ever try to escape the inevitable? I'm sure you have many tales to tell. When did you last visit humanity? You know... I can't imagine why a being like you would be so... fine with being tethered." A half smile crossed her lips as she gazed out of the misted window. The heat of the water in the tub ebbed through the air, it was almost foggy. "Does it feel... Demeaning? To be tied to a witch? Someone so much less powerful than you? That's why I've been so nervous, usually, I'm not this way but... You're a God. I just wanted to save my sister, I didn't even think what it would mean. Hell, I could've got a god of war, I could've had a being that wished me to harm for completing the ritual." Ellie was being honest, the tenderness in her tone exposed it.

The witch continued to look him over as if she was assessing him. Waiting for him to prove her wrong, to attempt to either push her away or refuse to share. Eleanor was used to secrets, why would a God of all beings be honest and open with her?
[
/justify]​

Ellie_ender.png

caius.gif
While Caius listened the young woman speak and smirked at the comment about sex for pleasure (as if gods hadn't started that trend), he watched her closely and tried to tune into how she was feeling. The perks of a bond with a witch were usually an increase to both of their powers, but it was also nice to not have to ask how the other was feeling and to know when they were in danger. If Caius was to be completely honest, he was exceptionally curious of this time period and the independence that these new age witches seemed to have from their covens. While the red head added some sort of concoction to the bath water that caused an opaque layer of pearlescent bubbles to appear on the surface, Caius raised an eyebrow as the lower half of his body was shrouded from view. Human modesty was interesting.

As Eleanor continued to speak on why she'd left her family, he felt something different radiating from her. He could tell that Elanor was a bit forlorn about leaving, disappointment maybe? Perhaps in the fact that her family didn't press harder to make changes or to ask Eleanor to stay. It was a possibility that maybe the young witch didn't think about, that if she had become the head of the coven, she could've changed things. But deep down, Caius could tell she was content with the decision she'd made. Eleanor's concerns of staying in the coven were valid. She probably would've died at a young age if she'd stayed and most likely if she didn't, constantly being on the defensive would change her. What sort of life could one live when you're eternally concerned for not only your safety, but the safety of your family?

"Hm," A deep hum as he assessed her question. "I've never come upon anything that I didn't face directly. As a god, you have responsibilities that go beyond keeping track of your human charges. Mine was taking over the position of the former god your coven worshipped because she fell into the human world. Became obsessed with it, and eventually, she was banished from our realm. I took her place almost a millennium ago." Caius pushed himself up so he was sitting instead of lying, and turned to look at Eleanor. "The last time I was on the human plane, there was no running water in the houses. My last bath on this plane was in a copper tub under the stars and women came with buckets of hot water to keep it warm."

Eleanor asked a lot of questions. Caius wasn't used to it and he closed his eyes, massaging his forehead a bit before holding up his head. Most witches knew what summoning meant and the reason for it. There was no curiosity or the answering of a thousand questions. These new witches were definitely something different and Caius wondered for a moment, if any old custom witches still existed.

"I think your kind has a misconception of a bond." Caius sighed softly as he cupped some water in his hands before drenching his hair a few times. "The tether works both ways. We each benefit from the binding, it is not just a one way path." Without any warning, Caius stood and combed his fingers through his hair. A few bubbles clung to his damp skin as he stepped out of the tub and grabbed one of the towels that was hanging, wrapping it around his waist. "Now, what can you tell me about this threat and why I was actually summoned?" He didn't waste any time leaving the bathroom and settling down on the couch, waiting for Eleanor to explain what could be such a threat to a whole coven of witches.

While he sat back on the plush cushions, Caius glanced out the window to see the expanse of the estate that he had been summoned to. He could see the catacombs that he had been called to, and the garden that they had trekked to get to the house. At least everything seemed to be neat and cared for. No crumbling buildings or ill kept grounds. As a god that was in tune with nature, that pleased him. Off in the distance he could see the small dots of lights that were clustered together, almost like stars. He'd never seen such a sight and his curiosity grew the longer his gaze lingered out the window.

Ellie.png
Beauty

To think of a God's responsibilities were somewhat above her station, but it didn't stop her from wondering what else he had to be responsible for. "You have human charges?" She wondered if times had changed, but it seemed that Gods still did look after the ones they deemed worthy; now that truly shocked her. The witch was used to calling names in the dark, begging for help, yet nobody had answered. She'd deemed Gods thought they were above humans, clearly, she'd been mistaken to a degree. "You are the one we should be worshipping?" A frown rippled over her brows, no wonder the summoning spell called him of all Gods because he was theirs. If it were possible, she felt even more uneasy before him, but thankfully the alcohol relaxed her. "So you can never... Really stay with us? Unless you're summoned?" All of this was so new to her, she knew she must have been irritating him to a degree as if a cockroach was speaking to a human asking many things about the way their world worked.

A gentle chuckle left her as he commented on the bath.
"Well, now you have hot running water, tasty food, plenty of alcohol and clothing that fits rather snugly, if you're that inclined." The female wasn't sure what he was used to wearing, but she could bet it fit differently than modern clothing. As Caius informed her of the bond she began to ponder. "I thought that a bond with a God woul---" The female paused as he rose, her breath hitching ever so slightly before a warm blush glowed in her cheeks as she gazed aside, thankfully he chose a towel. "Not much yet, I'm sorry. I haven't been here that long myself, but I'm sure we'll be informed tomorrow completely on all my Grandmother knows." As he left the room, the petite witch rose and padded after him with a new find sparkle in her eyes.

As she watched him sit and admire the garden a warm smile graced her own lips.
"You were called because my sister does not know the new rules, or she doesn't care. Clearly, she sought someone to protect us, if I was to guess it would be to protect our grandmother. We've lost too many things." The redhead took a seat beside the God, crossing one leg daintily over the other as her green orbs focused on the outlines of the forest in the darkness. "When I was a child I played in that forest all day and almost all night, I can't tell you how many times I was dragged inside. It's beautiful, isn't it?" She whispered softly as if to offer true respect. "When I lived here as an adult I'd often find comfort in the forest. We have many creatures in there you see. Foxes, squirrels, rabbits, and just beyond there's the lighting of the road, of the busy world we live in. I forget you haven't seen it yet."

Interested in their bond and what it could mean for her, Ellie began to focus on the forest before them. Soft little yellow-glowing creatures emerged from the dense darkness to light the beautiful green leaves and the strength of the old, wise trees that resided there. There was a connection she could feel with the nature that lay before her now, it felt as if she could almost hear it; "You're a God of nature, aren't you?" She whispered softly before drawing on the well of power she could finally feel within her, his power, to lure the rabbits from their slumber to play in the light the fireflies had brought. She refused to use too much, and from the animals already rising deer and foxes began to emerge, all entranced in the beautiful light. "Tell me, what else are you commander over, I guess, in your world, we should be worshipping you. How would we...?" Of course, she knew of offerings, but she didn't know what he truly and personally preferred.

There were many questions she had about their powers being linked, but this was not the time. Maybe he was genuinely tired. She was, it'd been a hell of a day.
"I'm going to get some sleep," The soft, warmth of her hand graced his knee before she rose and made her way from him toward the bathroom. A quick shower would do her good. The door was closed before she undressed and stepped into the shower beside the bath, embracing the heat of the water. Ten minutes later she emerged smelling of lilacs and lavender, her long red strands were wet and almost appeared brown from the water. "So, if you wake up before I do, just feel free to nudge me and we can get started tomorrow. Hey, since you're all... powerful, you mentioned me keeping you on this plane, do you think I can manage it? I mean, we could always try some iron cuffs, see if you stay put with those bad boys." Iron was only used for certain beings, and she knew it didn't affect Gods in the way she was hoping, but it'd be amusing to see him consider the idea. The female breezed to her cupboard beside her bed and dropped her towel to reveal a petite hourglass figure, the ripple of her rear as she moved indicated how well-toned she was. Years of the gym and being athletic had certainly been kind to her. Soon enough she tugged on a pair of shorts that allowed her legs to be on display right until her upper thighs. A tank top soon joined that seemed to strain a little around the swell of her breasts, but it had been some time since she'd been home. Clearly, she'd become more of a woman than she had been there.

The little witch curled up into the coolness of her sheets and nestled down to sleep, staring up at the ceiling that still had those little glow-in-the-dark stars she'd put on it as a teenager. When she waved her hand to turn off the light they'd both see the ceiling lit up like the night sky. With that, she curled into the softness of her pillow and fell into a deep sleep. Throughout the night he'd hear her murmur soft words, toss and turn, almost to the point of falling from the bed. Considering how late it already was, the morning came far too early. The moment the sun trickled through the room she began to wake and threw a choice few cuss words before she rolled over until she was face down in her pillows.
"It's not time yet," She whined softly.

Ellie_ender.png

caius.gif

How the times had changed. Caius at least expected Eleanor to know the basics of the gods and what they offered to the witches. In this era, it seemed common for magic users not to know the past or traditions of their ancestors and the immortals. He listened carefully to the red head as she asked her questions, sighing softly as he massaged his forehead. He knew that young people could be curious, but the amount of knowledge that this witch wanted was hard to keep up with. There was an easier way of doing this and their bond would make it seamless and extremely quick. He had only done this with a couple of his summoners. It was a simple way to introduce himself without having to speak too much, but then again, most of them hadn't been as talkative or curious as Eleanor. Perhaps that would be something for the next day.

"Human charges are something a high god usually has." He answered quietly as the witch sat next to him. "I have never expected, nor wanted any. Sycophants are as much a relic to me as I'd assume they would be to you. I don't need humans fawning over me like doe eyed servants." Not all gods thought as he did. There were many that loved their human supplicants or even sacrifices. Even though whatever offering was put before a god was sufficient, human sacrifice always put a bad taste in Caius's mouth. "But there is something I can do to help you comprehend more in the morning."

When Eleanor mentioned she was going to sleep, Caius watched as her hand gently brush his knee and then make her way into the bathroom. He could feel how tired she was and it, in turn, caused his body to feel a bit heavier than it should've. When Eleanor emerged again, he heard her mention something about waking up before her and having enough mana to keep him here. He didn't need sleep, so he probably would wake before her, and he was a little eager to explore this new age that he'd been summoned to. If there was no imminent danger, there was no rush in his mind.

As Eleanor continued to talk, she made her way to a cupboard and his eyes carefully followed the witch across the room before she dropped her towel and the light caught the curves of her body. Caius wasn't a demure in any way, so he didn't feel the need to tear his eyes away from her like he'd seen her do when he'd stepped out of the bath. Modesty was something specific to humans, he had no need of it. If he found a creature attractive, why hide it? So he watched until she was dressed again, and even as she crawled under her blankets for the night. Caius waved his hand and the low lighting dimmed even farther before he removed the towel, leaving it on a heap next to the sofa. The springs creaked gently as he readjusted so he was lying on his back, pulling a fleece blanket from the back of the sofa to drape over his waist and legs.

Caius settled back against the plush cushions and closed his eyes for what seemed a moment before the sun was already dancing across his face. He heard Eleanor stir and a few choice words left her lips. "Is this the normal morning ritual for you?" The god rose and stretched his arms over over his head, forgetting for a moment, that he hadn't dressed from the night before. Of course that was no concern to him. "I realize I didn't answer all of your questions last night." He continued as he went over to the bed and sat down. "There is something I can do to answer them without having a lengthy conversation if you're up for it, but it could leave you feeling disoriented for a little while after."

He had only ever used this technique once before with complete success. In the past, the witches he'd attempted this with had needed a day or two to recover. Offering his memories and knowledge to a mortal could always have the chance of driving the weak minded insane. Though Eleanor didn't seem like a meek woman in mental awareness or physicality. So he was sure that she would be just fine with only some rest needed in the aftermath.

"In order for me to do this, I need your permission." He said firmly as he locked eyes with Eleanor. "If you fight me, it could cause some trauma to your psyche."

Back
Top Bottom