Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

which do you prefer?

Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

Jacqueline Vile

Planetoid
When playing 1x1, do you prefer a host/player dynamic? or a balanced dynamic?
to clarify, a host/player dynamic is where one person plays one or two characters while the host controls every character around the player.
a "balanced" dynamic is where each player controls however many characters they need to, sometimes resulting in both juggling up to maybe 5 characters each depending on the demand of the scenario.
So which do you prefer and why?

Last edited:
To answer my own question, I like both. it really depends on my mood and the subject matter. also, I recognize there may be existing terms for these two rp dynamics and so am open to being corrected -- but they also definitely exist.

For me - balanced.

I don't go into a writing partnership expecting that either I or my partner will do the buik of the character work - unless that is explicitly laid out in the RT.

I expect that both I and my partner will work equally on characters, both PC and NPC, major and minor.

Never did any GM-stuff, so balanced dynamic all the way for me.

However if the situation and interesting idea for me to be GM/participate in RP with GM would come then I would like to give it a go to see what it's like.

I find that balanced games for me always had the best chance of going on longer than hosted. It seemed like every time i participated in a hosted game the GM lost interested. And not because I me - I can read your mind! :)

A GM style situation is just too much work for one partner, IMO. It's exhausting and I think most people would rather be player than host.

Hell, I feel guilty requesting my partner play two characters.

Balanced. I don't want to control every other character or thing nor do I want my partner to do so. I prefer us both to equally put in the effort of telling our story. Doesn't matter what kind of setting it is.

Balanced dynamic, predominantly due to the fact that I need to lead everything else in life. The last thing I need to do that is in my hobby time, if I wanted to do all the work; I'd rather write by myself or try to do a story with ChatGPT after some modifications.

Concerning 1x1, I prefer to have the balanced dynamic. If someone is going to host (i.e. GM) the roleplay, I look for that in Group RP.

I typically go for "balanced" too, as I prefer both parties have roughly equal input as to what's going on and the story's progression.

Back
Top Bottom