Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Punishment for ghosting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate being ghosted, and think it is really disrespectful to your partner. How much trouble is it to send a single line saying you have lost interest and are pulling out of a RP?

Surprisingly I often get RP requests from people who have ghosted me in the past. My own rule is never to RP with anyone who has done so unless they give a believable apology (and even then I am less inclined to select them over someone who has not done so.) This may seem petty but my view is that respect is important, and ghosting shows the exact opposite.

Having said this, I do not think the site should be handing out punishments for it. Punishments should be reserved for genuinely bad things like harassment, breaking BM rules such as loli/shota etc. Ghosting is not actually harmful to the victim or the site. Just rude!

I do not know what the OP intended by "punishment," and they have been decidedly silent on that particular aspect of the matter. However, if one is a serial ghoster, they are, presently, indistinguishable from someone who has never done so. If a way to indicate how many times a person has ghosted another can be implemented without violating site rules regarding negativity (or with a slight amendment to such rules, if necessary), what then? Granted, it's probably something that could be abused, like the "bond system" (hah) suggested on the previous page. But then again, if someone is looking for people who don't constantly ghost, then a way to tell at-a-glance if the person they're looking at is who they're looking for might be better than them just having to stumble blindly and hope for the best. I dunno, if there's a middle ground between doing nothing and a "wall of shame" type deal (which I would never advocate for), should we not search for it? Yes, people mostly ghost for good reasons, but it still happens and it still hurts. I suppose my suggestion is more for those who do it constantly, to many different people.

As a possible counterpoint, another unobtrusive, anonymous system could be implemented to indicate how often a person has given a negative reaction to someone saying that they no longer wished to continue the roleplay.

In either possibility, the user would pick from a series of predetermined options without the opportunity to submit a "custom" response, which would give rise to temptation to violate the rules on negativity. Of course, this in and of itself could do that already, although it could also be seen as a form of peer feedback.

It's a difficult issue, and there is no easy solution, but I am not sure that doing nothing is the right answer. I certainly do not advocate for punishing anyone, but if it can be done right, a way to be forewarned about serial ghosters and/or people who often react negatively towards the ending of an RP might be a possibility. Only time will tell.

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, but I figured that a moderate perspective might add to the discussion. Have a good day, everyone.

You know I have a partner who I have played with for over 4 years now... we have both ghosted each other at different points. Mainly just due to life. But when asked neither of us have turned down playing with the other.

I have ghosted people... life happens. Lost my job, horse tried to die.... cat tried to die...... cat lost an eye.... just couldn't find the muse to reply and by the time I did they didn't want to play any more. Life happens... you move on. I ghosted on some role-playing I really really loved with partners I really enjoyed.

Ghosting is a regular occurrence and I think we all have gone through it at some point of time. Do you people think ghosters should be punished? If yes, what should be the punishment?
Bruh this is just roleplaying not some fucking multiplayer game with rage quit measures

Giving enough of a shit about ghosting to think a punishment would be warranted for it is absolutely unhinged behavior and I will die on that hill.

It's a hobby. Go outside, touch grass.

I wonder how many of the people on here saying that people should be punished for being ghosted have lost partners that might have otherwise played with them.

I wonder how many of the people on here saying that people should be punished for being ghosted have lost partners that might have otherwise played with them.
ding-ding-ding-giphy.gif
...we haaaave a winner!

This is one of the easiest ways to make me be immediately uninterested in writing with someone.

Yeah. I honestly don't know what to say here, as evidenced by my previous posts, but outright punishing people? Hell no. Trust me, I do not advocate for punishing people for ghosting.

ding-ding-ding-giphy.gif
...we haaaave a winner!

This is one of the easiest ways to make me be immediately uninterested in writing with someone.
Same honestly. Anytime someone puts a big message about ghosting on their request thread it kinda turns me away.
Stuff like
"IF YOU GHOST ME THEN YOU A BIG POOPY HEAD AND I HOPE YOU STUB YOUR TOE" or some shit

Same honestly. Anytime someone puts a big message about ghosting on their request thread it kinda turns me away.
Stuff like
"IF YOU GHOST ME THEN YOU A BIG POOPY HEAD AND I HOPE YOU STUB YOUR TOE" or some shit
me, seeing "I am not ghost-friendly" or "ghosting is rude" in a thread:

peace-disappear.gif

Okay, now this is starting to look like it could become a "pile on the people who openly dislike ghosters" thread...
We're allowed to express our opinion as much as the people who constantly harp about ghosting are. πŸ€·β€β™€οΈ

I'm gonna go ahead and lock this thread since it's quite a cyclical conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom