Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What's something a potential partner can do to make them stand out?

Bellini

𝖇𝖎𝖌 𝖗𝖊𝖕𝖚𝖙𝖆𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓
Welcoming Committee
basically, the title - what did your favorite partner do, or what is something you notice in someone that messages you, to make you really want to respond to their message? did they show that they read your thread well? were they joking, serious, flirty? what's the one thing (or more!) that never fails to catch your eye when a potential roleplay partner approaches you?

curious to see what others think!

My favorite partner was someone I wrote three RPs with back in the day, maybe oh five years ago or thereabouts? Perhaps a little longer. She was really good at communicating OOC, very much in turn with the specific things that got me excited to continue and made it easy to formulate different plots and settings. We went from modern to fantasy and back again.

On Blue Moon, since I've been here, I would say people who do read my thread carefully and are very clearly intrigued enough to message me with that idea in mind ready to go. To me it shows they've put some thought into it. I have very certain requirements in some ways, and those are not really negotiable. If someone is able to match that and be consistent as well as align with my preferences then that's when it is truly something special.

Just my two cents.

I would say someone who presents their own ideas in a reply tend to get my attention. I offer many plots on my thread so i'm not specifically looking for someone's own story but at least a glimpse that they have some imagination. Perhaps they suggest how a scene may play out or how they read my thread and thought of a different take on one of the ideas.

Something so I know I won't have to spoon feed a potential partner with every scene, plot point and situation when we RP together.

Best partner, who's still someone I'm playing to this date is one of those rare ones I approached first. I guess what made them stand-out from the rest of the bunch was that they seemed eager to brainstorm with me and actively suggested ideas and scenarios. We also get along really well OOC which makes both the play(s) and chat with them extremely fun and engaging. Similar taste in fandoms and kinks definitely helped as well.

As for what makes potential partner who hits me stand out I would say that the fact that they read my thread at least to some extent combined with the eagerness to a ready-made idea/pairing or willingness to brainstorm something (or in some rare cases suggesting their ready-made plot that I'm interested in). I also appreciate people who ask and drive the coversation forward with me and aren't just nodding "yes-man" who doesn't contribute anything. Essentially if I can see the potential partners interest to play with me then more often than not I will accept the offer and/or discuss with them further.

I also appreciate if the partner states that they are alright with slower pace and aren't expecting replies every day. Makes me a bit more confident that they'll stick with the play if I end up accepting the offer. But this is just a nice plus.

Hmm I can think of a couple things that really make people stand out:

1. Enthusiasm. This is just true for mostly anything, right? I want to feel excited about a project, so it's definitely cool when a potential partner seems hyped about an idea too. We don't gotta be jumping up and down but a lukewarm "w/e" is boring, no?

2. Ideas. Other people have already mentioned this, but I like people who either contribute ideas or put spins on my ideas.

3. Writing sample. Don't make me dig, man. Presumably, we are all here to write with people whose style we vibe with. So like, make it easy for me!

4. Clarity. Tell me what you wanna write. Gimme an f-list or something to that effect. We don't gotta discuss the nitty gritty if you don't wanna, but trust that I read anything I'm given thoroughly. Stumbling around in the dark ain't fun outside of a horror game. Don't make me guess... as someone who primarily write dom, trying to 'guess' what is gucci and what is not is not as amusing as it might sound.

I've got a couple!

1. The first and biggest thing is just good conversation. I know this doesn't exactly go for everyone, but I'm a big fan of casually chatting with my partners, and that little spark of chemistry goes such a ways. This is triply effective if someone else is reaching out to me about one of my interests. Just let me know you've got a genuine interest in the things that I like too.

2. Cooperate and help build. It's so engaging to bounce ideas back and forth. So give your honest thoughts, alternatives or ask questions, even if the premise being discussed is already fine, it's still nice to discuss ideas.

3. Maybe slightly controversial, but I love seeing/knowing my partners availability. I don't generally like it when profiles are kept on private and statuses kept invisible. This isn't a deal breaker, but it's very much appreciated!

Out of all the RPs in the past, I think great ideas, flexibility, and OOC chatter is what drives a RP further into the story. Ideas, descriptive pictures, or even casualness can help too.

Hmm I can think of a couple things that really make people stand out:

1. Enthusiasm. This is just true for mostly anything, right? I want to feel excited about a project, so it's definitely cool when a potential partner seems hyped about an idea too. We don't gotta be jumping up and down but a lukewarm "w/e" is boring, no?

2. Ideas. Other people have already mentioned this, but I like people who either contribute ideas or put spins on my ideas.

3. Writing sample. Don't make me dig, man. Presumably, we are all here to write with people whose style we vibe with. So like, make it easy for me!

4. Clarity. Tell me what you wanna write. Gimme an f-list or something to that effect. We don't gotta discuss the nitty gritty if you don't wanna, but trust that I read anything I'm given thoroughly. Stumbling around in the dark ain't fun outside of a horror game. Don't make me guess... as someone who primarily write dom, trying to 'guess' what is gucci and what is not is not as amusing as it might sound.
^^^

I would also add being able to keep a healthy OOC relationship. Even if you aren't talking to your partner 24/7, something like being clear on your wants & needs writing-wise as feral said definitely serves its' purpose in gauging interest.

May be an odd one but I kind of like ice-breakers and questions that while not related to the RP, can help me understand if this person is someone I'm willing to work with and be on the same wavelength of. After all, I wouldn't be in the hobby if I couldn't even stand 2/3 of my partners!

It 1)lightens the mood, and 2)helps me understand what makes another RPer click in the writing process (character/world-building? Action scenes? Dialogue?) since there are no two people who write in the same way, no matter how it may seem.

in OOC chat I love it when they tell me what they enjoy about my plot idea(s) and what they would like to change, even mentioning their own ideas if they are similar can come a long way.

Politnes and good manners tend to do it for me :)

Same here! I had one partner who wouldn't tell me when he changed his mind about something. We would be going along just fine after agreeing to stuff when suddenly things change out of left field. That included how his main characters were reacting to mine. I've had partners that keep things secret, and tell me they are secret, because they want to surprise me but this one was just no good.

Listens, take criticism, use refs of canon character and generally is open for some fun and comedic moments out of the RP

The most successful RPs I've been involved in have one thing in common: some kind of OOC chatter. I don't care if that's just periodically checking in/sharing ideas or constant chatter, but having some kind of dialogue with my partners has made RPs much more successful.

I'm generally receptive to everyone who reaches out to me but it's an instant turnoff if I can tell that you've responded with little thought. Don't ask me if I'm looking for partners still (if I bumped my thread I am) and don't just list pairings. Share your own ideas. Tell me what you like. This is collaborative, it's not all about me.

I just want you to show me that you've read my stuff/know what you're getting into and are down for some fun. It's a hobby, I don't want a super buttoned up, serious partner.

The most successful RPs I've been involved in have one thing in common: some kind of OOC chatter. I don't care if that's just periodically checking in/sharing ideas or constant chatter, but having some kind of dialogue with my partners has made RPs much more successful.

I'm generally receptive to everyone who reaches out to me but it's an instant turnoff if I can tell that you've responded with little thought. Don't ask me if I'm looking for partners still (if I bumped my thread I am) and don't just list pairings. Share your own ideas. Tell me what you like. This is collaborative, it's not all about me.

I just want you to show me that you've read my stuff/know what you're getting into and are down for some fun. It's a hobby, I don't want a super buttoned up, serious partner.
Who you talkin' bout!?

Speaking only on my roleplay experience as a whole because I'm still working my way around BlueMoon.

1.) When my request thread is actually read and the person finds something of interest on it that they have the enthusiasm to put in ideas for said interest.

2.) Polite and Friendly.

3.) The person actually cares about what I want to do too rather than just contacting me to fulfill some needs of their own.
(Example: "Hey I read your request thread, I would like for you to play these ideas I have in mind.)

4.) Want to legitimately tell a story with characters.

For me two things stick out the most

1. Enthusiasm. Of course you don't have to be super excited all the time. But when sharing ideas back and forth I greatly appreciate when someone seems stoked to plot together. Giving their own ideas and commenting on what they like about mine.

2. Friendly ooc. I'm a firm believer that becoming friends or atleast friendly terms. Makes the roleplay last. So talking about our interest and vibing together really shows me this partnership might last

When a partner asks me to elaborate on one of my ideas or stated interests so they better understand what would really make a plot, scene, or character engaging for me. Sometimes this leads to alternative ideas, or compromises, that I hadn't envisioned that are just as engaging.

OOC chat that was professional and RP focused. Contributing to the RP and being patient. That's probably the most important thing I value in a partner.

OOC chat that was professional and RP focused. Contributing to the RP and being patient. That's probably the most important thing I value in a partner.

This, being patient is the best thing they could possibly do. Other than that, contributing with their own ideas helps them stand out. Telling me if one of my ideas isn't for them is also a big bonus, I am wary of people that will accept anything I suggest. I know that sounds weird and I don't think less of those that do, since they could just be on the same wavelength as I am, just helps me to know that at least they won't say yes to something that they don't really want for fear of missing out on a partner. I can take a no, I don't want to get 20 posts into a roleplay I am enjoying only to find out that they are not because they didn't tell me I'd suggested something they did not like.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Being that I mostly play men against women, and generally lean dominant (I guess), I run into a lot of the same tropes, so subversion of them is always appreciated. A tall female? Love to see it— taller than my character even? Insane, your mind is brilliant, I’m in love. Older women? I’m down. Women who are unapologetically rude and bitchy, or, God forbid, selfish? Love to see it. I don’t mind playing a taller, older and often times meaner character, but it can feel limiting at times that it’s all I ever play, so to run into people who write women who aren’t so… formulaic, I suppose, is very fun for me. It’s not even that these tropes have to make her a dominant figure, because I do prefer playing the dominant role if smut happens, and that makes it all the more interesting of a dynamic to me. But I don’t really like strict roles like that anyway.​

I like when RP partners are equally involved in the process of sharing ideas, being clearly enthusiastic about the RP - I also have a penchant for partners who are open to dynamics outside of the typical burly/gruff Dom Cishet Male and the Sub early 20s Cishet Female dynamic, it’s honestly just very boring to me now and I’m looking for partners who seek to write relationships outside of that dynamic - as well as people who aren’t prickly when it comes to doubling/writing multiple supporting roles/background characters etc, I’m so tired arguing about doubling - I literally CANNOT write an RP/story where I limit myself to just one character/relationship.

I also like when people play around with gender dynamics - for example I’ve been leaning to writing futa/Dom female against males, for example just to spice things up a bit. I also tend to go for darker settings, and or alternative universe things, monsters, supernatural creatures - if it’s two rivals in an office with vanilla sex, I’m so out of there

In my opinion, its the introduction that a roleplayer makes about themselves. I know aesthetic can be very eye-catching, but without a nuanced introduction about themselves as roleplayers/writers and the way they present their ideas, I personally don't end up being that much interested.

listen, i love smut, i'll talk about it all day. but i'd love if someone also engaged with more character dynamics/plot related aspects of the story. i also love when a partner starts off with a lot of effort on the starting post. doesn't have to be super long, but just the 'intro/writing sample/kinks/ideas of your own' part being fulfilled is great.

oh, and added further elaborations on my ideas rather than suggest ideas straight from their own request thread - i rarely entertain these right off the bat without heavily meshing my own interests and pre-existing plots if they are the ones to reach out to me first.

but also, at the end of the day, it's kind of an intuitive vibe i get if i want to respond. they don't really need to send me a detailed f-list or a writing sample for me to be open writing with them (but it does help).

When they message me they provide a brief intro as to what they like, how they like to write. Why they are messaging me, how they see my idea (or their own) playing out and why they think we would make a good match.

Also good when they bring their own ideas and I don't feel like I have to drag information out of them or build the whole thing myself.

Nothing worse than "Wanna RP?" or "I like your idea, wanna RP?" ummm which idea? Why?

Back
Top Bottom