Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Compulsive character creation help needed!

Triss Merigold

Planetoid
I have a terrible habit of getting a character or characters for a plot and then the plot gets going and is great, so great I get inspiration for new characters! But I don't want to neglect my OG characters or over do it for myself or my partner. Any have any advice for this ailment? How many characters would you consider is too many for a plot? Would you find the introduction of new characters after the initial start of the plot annoying?

You need to have enough characters that each one has sufficient depth and credibility. Instead of jumping to creating a new character, think about where the new characters you think of (or perhaps new characteristics) would fit into your already existing characters.

Know your limits and know when you're beginning to spread yourself too thin. I have zero information regarding what type of story you're talking about, or if the inclusion of multiple supporting characters are even necessary, but I wouldn't consider this an ailment. It sounds like you have a healthy addiction to expanding a story and giving it life by introducing multiple characters, and that's only a bad thing if you lose sight of the main objective of your story in favor of going down an endless side quest. Geralt might have time to clear out a monster nest or clear a contract on a Fiend, but the main goal is still finding Ciri.

The question of "How many characters would you consider is too many for a plot?" depends on their purpose. Are you adding characters to join the party and form a group on a long term quest? Or are you talking about lending a name or identity to a traveling merchant? Harry befriended Ron and Hermione on the way to Hogwarts and over the course of the school year, but it was a man named Ollivander who sold Harry his wand in the first place. All these characters are necessary for the plot but only Ron and Hermione were necessary in the long term. Once Ollivander sold Harry his wand, and once Harry left Diagon Alley, Ollivander's part in the story was over.

The introduction of new characters isn't annoying unless they overstay their welcome. Always let there be a reason for these new characters to appear at any point in the story, whether it's as simple as a town crier providing information to a passing Witcher in need of work, or being an old love interest who is currently trying to help mages escape witch hunters, all while being a mage herself. Whether the role is big or small, let there be a reason we're reading this interaction play out, and don't overextend their role if they no longer serve any use to the main story.

Thank you! Those are some really good points that I'll have to try implementing! Very nice use of the Witcher 3 as an example as well, I definitely get what you're saying from that.

It might not work for you as a writer/person, but... Write them up, create your new character, get your buzz from creativity and completion and... File them away.

A point in the RP might come up where you could suggest to your partner OOC that you have another character who would be great to introduce and ask how they would feel about it. They might be perfect for an RP of their own or fit well with someone else's request thread.

At the end of the day that urge to create will always be there and in all likelyhood you will forever have more characters/ideas than will ever be used... So enjoy creating then move on.

Like I say that might very much not work for you personally though, but it's tended to be how I've coped with that and similar issues.

Yet another great idea, I think that could offer some interesting drama or dynamic by adding in a premade character that can fit into a plot while not being specifically tailored for it. Now just to find the right place for my character prison or purgatory šŸ˜‚

Back
Top Bottom