Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Rather Have The Servant Boy (BlueAmbient&LoverBoy)

images
Garrett paces his private quarters, arms folded behind his back. It's been a bare three weeks since his return from the war, hardly enough time to settle in to his new home at the kingdom palace. Ten years had passed, ten long years of war, since he had last been in the capital. He'd been conscripted at eighteen, and had barely managed to prevent his childhood best friend from joining him. But he had, and had left his friend behind, safe from the fighting. A lot had changed, and being unable to send letters home, Garrett feared his friend had forgotten him. But nothing he can do for that right now; Garrett waits for the summons to the Great Hall, where he is to be wed.

Upon his return, the King had bestowed upon him the title of War Hero, as he had brought an end to the tyrant king of the kingdom that had started this ten year war. It wasn't something Garrett had done to win a title, he simply wanted the fighting to end. With this title, unsurprisingly, the King had publicly announced Garrett would be wed to his daughter, the princess, in three weeks time. Garrett had no say, but speaking out in front of the public would humiliate the king, and even his newfound title wouldn't save him.

So here he is, pacing the quarters he'd been gifted, waiting. White and black formal dress, which Garrett finds incredibly uncomfortable, black cloak, and a ceremonial sword. A flimsy thing, barely more than a rapier, not even comparable to his own greatsword. After this wedding, Garrett would prefer to never wear formal dress again. After ten years in leather and armor, he feels exposed in the thin fabric.

0b2cf4a756166d718f82f41106086f44.png

9427405515dc85761222240079676eaf.jpg

Seconds later, the counselor knocked at the door, announcing it was time for Garret to get to the hall where the lunch will be consumed, and that he was there to lead him.

Meanwhile, the hall was already filled in with the elite aristocracy coming from all over the kingdom for the marriage that would be held in a matter of minutes, and many more were still arriving, each announced by the chamberlain at the door before making their entrance in the huge luxurious hall.

On the first bench, right in front of the shrine, the king and the queen were sitting along with their second daughter, already waiting for the ceremony to begin.

On the way to the hall, the chamberlain explained all the etiquette that Garrett was expected to put in practice from now on, starting with the ceremony. From his brief explanation, it was clear that the court expected him to be already be aware and prepared for all of that.

As soon as they were in the vicinity of the hall, the chamberlain stopped.

"My lord, now is time for you to go. The princess will be coming in a matter of minutes and you should already be at the shrine by then."

He said, while adjustin the soon to be husband's clothes and cloak, before encouraging him to step through the massive door that would lead him to his new life.

Garrett groans as he opens the door, not at all ready for this. But there's nothing to do about it now, though his thoughts wander as he follows the chamberlain down the hall. This was not the life he had thought he would return to, one of glory, royalty, and far more expectation than he had ever wanted. and yet, this is to be his life. He can't turn back now, to do so would mean disrespect to the king, and potentially death.

Garrett nearly runs the chamberlain over when the man stops suddenly. He listens, with a growing frown, to what is expected of him. He's sure to fumble his words regardless. Swatting the chamberlain's hands away and sighing heavily, Garrett steps through the open door to the Great Hall. His left hand rests on the pommel of his flimsy ceremonial sword, but it brings him little comfort.

Another deep breath, and Garrett strides to the font of the hall. He doesn't walk slowly, but he doesn't rush either. Just the normal ground-eating stride of a man of six feet three inches. His grey eyes remain ahead, refusing to meet the eyes of any but the royal family. At the shrine, Garrett turns to face the entry to the hall, bowing his head in respect to the king briefly.

All of a sudden everyone stood up.
All that was visible was just a crowd of people, but after a few seconds when everybody bent on their knees, Princess Ashlyn just appeared on the opposite side of the massive hallway. She regally managed to advance through the crowd of nobles surrounding her, as she began to make her way to her future husband, accompanied by the wedding march.

The sudden difference between the brightness of the room and the darkness of the hallway almost burned her eyes. A nice excuse to keep them shut.
As she proceeded towards her fiancé, she knew she had all eyes on her. This, in addition to her already tensed nerves, brought her to the edge of shaking, and it took all of her strength to stand still, as she grabbed on her tulle long dress, adorned with pearls.

Ashlyn has been training for that moment ever since she was told what her future was going to be, so it was easy now for her to proceed despite her eyes being shut and having a veil on. Her brain perfectly knew where the Hero of the Realm should be, and it guided her toward the exact position.
She only stopped once she felt the hot breath of her fiancé blowing on her face through the light shield of her veil.

It was only when she stopped a few steps away from Garrett that it was finally clear how it was possible for her to be so fast despite the long heavy bejeweled white gown. Right behind her, Julien was following the woman in order to hold up the train of the dress.
She heard the sound of what she knew could be the sword in the sheat of the Hero, afterall he could be the only one moving in this stony silence. She raised her head, her sweaty hands crossed over her lap. A soft sob of desperation escaped her lips as she realized it would be only a matter of seconds before this agony would come to an end.

Garrett watches with a blank expression as his bride-to-be comes up the hall between the throngs of nobles. The dress is beautiful, the ceremony is proper, but Garrett can't stop the pit in his stomach. He does a double take when he spots the manservant behind Ashlyn. There's something about him that just seems.. familiar. Shaking his head, Garrett, he does his part as princess Ashlyn comes to a halt in front of him. Garrett lightly grips the veil, flipping it back from the princess's face. She's beautiful, of that there is no doubt, but Garrett has never been interested in women.

Nevertheless, Garrett speaks the vows he'd been given to memorize the last three days. His deep voice recites the words, but there's no emotion behind them. Hopefully, the nobles accept it as simple formality. Hopefully, the princess doesn't notice. Once his vows are complete, Garrett waits in silence for Ashlyn to complete her part. Garrett's eyes keep straying to the manservant behind the princess. He has to keep reminding himself to pay attention to Ashlyn. Once again, his left hand lands on the pommel of his ceremonial sword. Once again, the thinness of it offers him no comfort.

Soon as the cold breeze caressed her face, Ashlyn squinted her eyes, preparing herself to what she was sure would be the greatest disappointment of her life so far.

Instead, when she opened her eyes, she almost fell off balance out of astonishment.
What was staring back at her was not at all what she has expected to find infront of herself. For a moment, she couldn't help but think about whatever expression she most probably had right now on her face , but before she was actually able to structure any answer to her own question, she stared back at her reflection through Garrett's grey eyes. She really was surprised, caught completely off guard by the handsome man she had in front of her.

She was unable to say anything, so she stared in his eyes for what to both of them, and most probably all of the presents, seemed like to be an eternity.
Everyone was holding their breath, awaiting for the ritual to be concluded as per tradition.

The woman then realized that she was going to have him marrying her. And as she thought about that, her muscles loosen up, releasing all the tension charged through the days, weeks, months... inevitabily making her feel dizzy to the point she eventually felt her legs were abandoning her. In order not to collapse, with her last strength she leant over her groom to be's chest, resting an hand over it, feeling Garrett speeded up breath under her hand. Must've been love at first sight - she thought before closing her eyes, smiling to herself as she felt her strength was abandoning her. She listened carefully to the man's words as they resonated through his chest, reaching her ear.

She then raised, still having an hand on the other's chest, and took her turn to spoke the vows.

It was at that point that finally the servant came in between them. He kept his gaze to the ground, as requested by the etiquette. He, a servant, wasn't allowed to stare directly at any Lord or Lady if not after being ordered to do so.
He opened the little wooden box that he held all that time in his hands, revealing two golden rings.

Garrett stood unmoving as Ashlyn spoke her vows, her hand on his chest serving only to make him nervous. He had thought she might faint, but she seemed to be able to hold herself upright. He barely listens to her words, but at least manages to pay attention to when she stops speaking. For Garrett, this is nothing more than ceremony; there's no affection for the princess in his heart, no attachment whatsoever. It's his loyalty to the king and his kingdom that keeps him carrying on with these proceedings.

When the manservant moves around beside them and offers up the rings, Garrett finds himself staring again. He withholds the urge to tell the boy to look up; that would be against etiquette and would cause a stir. So Garrett takes one of the rings wordlessly, then takes Ashlyn's hand. "With this ring, I complete our marital binding. From this day forth, I am your husband, and you, my wife." The words are empty, meaningless to Garrett's ears. Once Ashlyn does the same, Garrett leans sets his right hand at her lower back and leans down. His lips press to hers in a kiss, but there's no emotion, no passion. There is nothing Garrett can do to hide this fact.

The whole crowd bursted in an unique applause as the couple kissed.
Despite meaning nothing to the Hero, that moment actually meant her entire world to the princess. All of her life revolved around this moment, her marriage.

It was now the turn of the king to congratulate the couple, before actually concluding the ceremony. He got close to the couple, kissing both on their cheeks. When coming to Garrett, the King asked him to kneel down at the right moment. Then, he actually began proclaiming with his loud voice:

" Dear subjects, today is a great day. We just assisted to my daughter marriage. However, this won't be the only thing we will celebrate."
The King turned to Garrett, who now was already on his knee, and spreaded his sword, laying the tip of it on one of the Hero's shoulders."I, the King, proclaim Lord Garrett, Hero of the Realm, Head of the King's Guard". With a quick gesture, he moved the sword to the opposite shoulder. "and I pass him the title that I carried on ever since sitting on the throne. May your sword always serve your kingdom, Protector Of The Realm!"

The whole room exploded in a standing ovation, and confusion and chaos spread all across the Great Hall.

Garrett does as the king bids him, kneeling next to his new wife. He listens as he receives the title of Captain of the King's Guard. More responsibility he hadn't wanted, but at least it would give him something to throw himself into. Something to distract him from this new life. Garrett stands when the nobles applaud, but their confused murmuring is heard beneath the clapping.

Unexpected change, nobles never like it. But that's the way it is to be, nobody questions the king. Garrett looks to Ashlyn, nodding once. Then his eyes travel to the manservant again, only to find him gone. Who is he, that he makes Garrett feel deja vu? Garrett refocused, paying attention as servants start to clear the benches, pushing them to the sides and bringing in tables of food to line the walls.

A group of minstrels appear to one side of the hall, and Garrett suppresses a sigh. Expected to dance, he turns to Ashlyn. "My lady, shall we dance?" Garrett holds out one hand, waiting for Ashlyn's reply.

Ashlyn quickly raised her hand to reach her brand new husband and fit her hand into his one. It was so warm, so big... Just like his chest felt. And perhaps, not just these... She giggled to herself.

The minstrels began to play their music, and nobles started to gather to the center of the Hall to join the dance.
Meanwhile, the king and the queen kept monitoring the whole situation.

No matter how many attempts Garrett made, the servant was no where to be found. Disappeared.

Garrett spends the evening struggling through civility and formality. Ever on edge, he's uncomfortable among the nobles, and even more so in his clothing. He longs for his supple leathers and the steel of his armor. He turns down food, falsely claiming excitement is stealing his appetite. The end of the evening can't come soon enough.

When Garrett can finally excuse himself and his new bride, as etiquette decrees after more than half the nobles have left, he follows Ashlyn to her chambers. Once there, just the two of them, he's kind enough to help her out of the heavy train and Veil of her dress. However, he steps back before assisting with the dress itself. "Princess Ashlyn, I must be honest with you. Though we are newly we'd, I must confess I only accepted this marriage through loyalty to your father, the king."

Ashley stood still when she heard the words. She was so happy just a minute ago, and now she was shuttered by her husband being so casually cruel in the name of being honest.

"how... Why... Why then?"

Her cheeks bursted of heat, just as her hands and neck. It was quickly expanding to her whole body. She felt like she was about to cry, but she managed to fight the urgency and don't give the man that shuttered her heart this satisfying view of herself.

"As I've said, I am loyal to your father, and refusing to wed you would be to humiliate the king. I wish not for death, so I do what the king demands. But I cannot share your bed. To attempt to do so would be.. An embarrassment to myself." Garrett looks away from Ashlyn, his jaw tense.

"I will protect your honor and remain here for a short time, but then I will return to my own chambers." If Garrett were to immediately leave and someone were to spot him, it would be obvious that they hadn't consummated their marriage. By staying for a bit, it would at least make it seem like they had.

Garrett remains by the door, keeping his grey eyes turned away respectfully. His hands are at rest by his sides, posture that of a guard on standby.

Ashlyn quickly gazed away from the man. She knew that if she would've another stare, it would be done for her. It was just too much to stand. It was her day. Her most anticipated day. And now it was ruined.

Playing it as casual as possible, as if nothing that upset her has happened, she sat at her boduoir. She picked up her silver brush, and began to brush her hair after undoing the complex hairstyle she've chosen for her marriage. Brushing her hair always helped her relax and facilitated her thinking.

As predicted, it didn't take long before her mind came up with queries and scenarios. Of course everything the man told her had to be true. But what could the blocker be? Of course it was out of discussion it could be her appearance. She was considered to be the most beautiful woman alive in her Kingdom and beyond. Many suitors reached the court over the years just to have a chance to ask for her hand, only to be refused by her father the King.

But then, what would it be? Maybe the man was just not used to be around women? After all he has spent most of his life on the battlefield.
Suddenly, she smiled at self once the most promising scenario pictured in her mind. He must feel embarassed by my presence. I'm probably too much for him all at once.
She decided that she had to work it around and dive deep.

"husband, I..." she stared at him through the mirror "I Don't want to necessarily rush things. I do understand, and I'm a little overwhelmed too... By the whole situation. But I don't want you to feel embarrassed of yourself because of this situation. It hurts me...to the heart." she turned, looking at him from over her shoulder, bringing her most reassuring smile on her lips" so... why don't you come here and sit down next to me so that we can get some time to know something about each other?"

Garrett's eyes track the movement of the princess to her boudoir, but it's out of habit; a warrior must always notice and monitor movement, lest that movement bring a threat. Even here, in the quiet calm of Ashlyn's chambers, Garrett can't stop ten years of cultivated instinct. His eyes turn away again when she speaks.

Garrett is silent for a moment when Ashlyn finishes. Her words make him uneasy, but who is he to deny the simple request to sit together? Though he appears relaxed in his movement, Garrett's muscles are tense. He walks over to sit beside Ashlyn, taking her left side so his ceremonial sword isn't between them. "Princess, I wish not to hurt you, but I cannot bring myself to functionally complete our union. I.."

Garrett trails off, searching for words. How to tell her of his disinterest in women without getting himself killed for offending her? "There is.. Something.. Someone.. I wish to search for. But time has muddied the memory, and I fear too much has changed."

She silently stared at him, as he sat next to her. She continued brushing her hair as a sincere smile shaped over her lips. It worked! - she thought. Soon she would realize that she couldn't possibly be more wrong than this.
There is someone.
All that followed those words was obliterated by the fact of that single sentence resonating in her mind countless time. She stopped brushing her hair, holding still in position, with her head slightly tilted to the side. Her smile shuttered just like her heart did, as she was staring in front of her, apparently at her reflection in the mirror, although she was only lost in the echo of these words in her mind.

Garrett can see the princess freeze up, and worries that he has offended her anyway. He stands, offers her a respectful bow. "Deepest apologies, my lady. I will carry out all other duties as your husband, but I cannot share your bed. To do so would be dishonest to you, and to myself. I understand I have upset you, so I will take my leave now."

Garrett moves to the door, pausing a moment to make sure Ashlyn is alright. Then he leaves, heading the few paces down the hall to his own assigned chambers. Once there, he's quick to shed the ceremonial dress, exchanging it for a simple tunic and leather breeches. The leather feels comfrotable; after years spent in nothing else, it's a welcome change from the stiff fabrics of court clothing.

Once alone, the princess was actually free to give voice to her emotions. Tears began to run down her cheeks, falling onto her lap. In the silence of the huge chambers, the sound of her intensifying sobbing bounced from a wall to the other.

All of a sudden, a knock on the door alarmed her. Before she was able to say or do anything, Julien stepped in with a silver tray, containing a tea set.

"Your Grace, the tea you re....Your Grace.. ?"

Surprised to find her alone, hearing her sobbing, Julien stepped toward the princess. Once he was close enough, he was able to see her devastated aspect through the mirror. With one single quick gesture, she angrily hurled her silver comb against the mirror with all her strength, shuttering it into pieces.
Julien closed his eyes, reacting instinctively to the gesture.

"LEAVE ME ALONE!" Ashlyn yelled, releasing all her frustration through the words.

With no hesitation, Julien rushed himself out of the room, afraid that if he did not be fast enough he would be next in line to end up as that mirror.

Despite the thick stone walls, Garrett can hear the princess' scream. Guilt cuts through him, but in a fleeting sense. There one moment, gone the next. Donning the thick bearskin cloak he'd procured during his time on the front line, Garrett pulls on his leather boots, and straps his knife belt around his waist. It doesn't have the same weight as his greatsword, but makes his feel better all the same.

Garrett leaves his chambers, choosing to wander the halls. He's unlikely to sleep well tonight, anyway. So he walks, thoughts trailing in and out of his mind, sorting through old memories and trying, in vain, to imagine what his old friend would look like now.

Julien Edenvae. The name is one thing he can remember clearly, at least. Julien's family had done so much for him, and Garrett had thought he was protecting Julien by preventing him from going to war. But who knows what had happened over the last ten years? Where Julien had ended up? So much had changed.. By the time Garrett realizes it, he has wandered into a part of the castle he's never been before, and has no idea how to get back to his chambers.

Silence was surrounding the whole hallway. Every now and then, a torch on the side walls lightened up the path ahead. The sound of his steps resounding all around.
But a more careful listen, an additional stepping sound could be heard in the background.
At this point It was clear this was not the only sound. There was definitely someone else, close enough.
The other's steps sound was now accelerated.

Julien found himself running through the hallway, having to escape as soon as possible. He wasn't aware of who was there on the other side, but he was sure that whoever there was, it won't mean good news to him. He hastened his pace, wondering if it would be better to hide and where he could eventually do that, in the event of not being able to reach his own room.

Garrett heard other footsteps, further ahead, and hastened his pace. Perhaps whoever it was could lead him back to his quarters, or at least to the Great Hall. He could find his own way from there. But when the footsteps turn into running, he slows again. Whoever it was must have been startled, or wasn't supposed to be wandering around.

At this point, it's dark outside, likely late into the evening. Garrett finds a window, but the view outside doesn't help him to get his bearings. He sighs, then starts walking again. Eventually, he would either find someone, a dead end, or the hall would loop around and back the other way. "I am most definitely lost." Garrett speaks quietly, but his deep voice still echoes down the hall.

Julien hastened to his room, that would be not too far from where Garrett was. Although he couldn't see him, he could definitely hear someone was there, as he reached down his pocket to find the key of his room, realizing it was no longer there.

Fear slowly Crept in, invading his mind. As the steps get closer, the panic rushed exponentially. His hands quickly grabbed the door's knob, forcing it down multiple times, but it was no use. The sound of the steps got closer and closer, he was sure that the other would be on his back any seconds now, coming out of the darkness that the torch wasn't able to dissipate.
Panic then fully permeated his brain, and began to work it's gimmicks: he could definitely feel the hot breath of whoever was going to find him violating the curfew on his neck.

He convulsively continued to try with all his strength to open the door, only stopping once he hear that voice. His hands gripped on the knot, as he stared into the dark in front of him, waiting for his destiny to come out of it.

Garrett could hear clicking up ahead, which quickly became more frantic. Someone trying to get into a room? He frowns, left hand touching the knife on his belt. When he rounds the corner and spots a servant standing by one of the doors, Garrett realizes he must have wandered into the servants' wing of the castle. He relaxes, coming to a halt some five feet from the other man.

"Pardon, but I seem to be lost. I don't know my way around the castle yet, and I appear to have come the wrong way during my wanderings." Garrett keeps his voice gentle, though the deep tone still echoes in the stone hall. He can see the servant trembling. "My apologies if I startled you. But could ypu please show me the way back to the royal wing?"

Garrett doesn't know the rules of the servant's curfew, so he doesn't think of his request as anything complex. He waits patiently for the servant to agree, or even to look at him. His eyebrows do furrow slightly, not in any emotional display, but because he's thinking. This servant looks vaguely like the one bearing princess Ashlyn's dress train at the wedding.

Julien resisted the natural stimuls of closing his eyes when the figure appeared out of the dark.
He narrowed his eyes in order to understand if he knew the person infront of him. The voice did sound familiar, but the look didn't linked to anyone he knew. With this doubt, it was better to address the man properly, even though he wasn't wearing as a noble, his bearing definitely gave that vibe.

"No need to apologize, m-my lord..."

At a second glance, once the man was in the light of the torch, it was all clear. How could he not recognize that silhouette? He had a slight start when he realized.

"Lord Com... Mander!" he hastened to take a bow "I hope you can find mercy to forgive my inattentive eyes for not recognizing you at first. This is no place for a Lord. "

From Garrett's request, he supposed he got lost in the castle. But... how could such a Hero get lost? However, he was well aware he could never ask this. By court etiquette, servants couldn't make any request to a noble,unless allowed.
Just as they wouldn't be able to violate the curfew, unless allowed.

He was almost sure he had a map of the castle in his room, however he couldn't certainly tell Garrett he lost his key and couldn't access the room.

"You must forgive me, my good Lord Commander, but I cannot be of any help at this time, as I'm not allowed to leave this wing of the castle..."

When the servant turns toward Garrett, he realizes this is the servant from the wedding. He also gets that same sense of deja vu, that feeling that he should know this young man from somewhere. The strict formality makes Garrett grimace. "Please, just Garrett is fine, or Sir Garrett, if you must. I'm a lord by appointment, not choice, and I don't like formal titles."

Garrett sighs, taking a step back, as he can see he's making the servant nervous. "As for helping me, ypu would be my escorted, and thus under my brief command. I can promise you would not be in any trouble. Please, I don't know my way back."

Back
Top Bottom