Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How long do you wait? Protocols of gaming

CreativePassionMB

Planetoid
Hi

Still getting accustomed to Blue Moon have a couple RPs. I did have some questions about protocol.

hiw long should you wait between posts? Should you post everyday? What if you don’t get a reply? When should you reply back?

What have you found that works best? I struggle with social anxiety and one of the reason I came back here was to break out of that in a safe place.

hiw long should you wait between posts? Should you post everyday? What if you don’t get a reply? When should you reply back?
Completely up to each person. You won't find a one-size-fits-all here. Some don't want to wait, some don't mind it. Some reply daily, some (like me) take up to a week or even more.

If you don't get a reply, my advice to you is to focus your energy on partners who do reply. Ghosting happens, and dwelling on it won't really do anyone any good.

My view is always respond back when you can and when you feel up to it. Some people are stricter. It's all about finding what you prefer and finding partners that prefer similar things.

Completely up to each person. You won't find a one-size-fits-all here. Some don't want to wait, some don't mind it. Some reply daily, some (like me) take up to a week or even more.

If you don't get a reply, my advice to you is to focus your energy on partners who do reply. Ghosting happens, and dwelling on it won't really do anyone any good.

My view is always respond back when you can and when you feel up to it. Some people are stricter. It's all about finding what you prefer and finding partners that prefer similar things.
Thank you Black Magic. I think this is something that I will learn the rhythm and patterns of this site the longer I am on it and the more roleplays I do

Everything that Black Magic said, there's really no one-size-fits-all approach or established etiquette.

Here's my advice:
Post whenever you are in the mood to write. Whether that's an hour after the other person posted, a day, week, or month; do what feels right for you. Roleplay shouldn't feel like a chore. This is a hobby for all of us and no one should feel pressured or rushed to reply.

After not hearing from a partner for two weeks, I will typically reach out in an OOC PM (I always have separate OOC and RP PMs going) to ask how they're doing. I try to keep it light and never directly ask for a reply as I never want to make the person to feel pressured. If they don't respond, I leave them be and go on with my life. Being ghosted can be a bummer, but there's plenty fish in the sea.

What have you found that works best? I struggle with social anxiety and one of the reason I came back here was to break out of that in a safe place.
I try to post once a week. I typically write longer replies, so this works best for me. Sometimes anxiety can sneak up on a person, even in the safest of places. There's nothing wrong with taking a mental health break. Communication is key, so if there's ever a period where you're unable to post, most partners will appreciate the heads up.

I struggled with social anxiety as a teen a lot too, forums actually helped me a lot with that. I clearly remember how I used to get half a panic attack when I got a notification. I can laugh about it now, but I certainly couldn't back then ^^'

• Generally people expect a back and forth. I personally dislike it when people *bump* the rp - that's what I keep an ooc channel for
    • some people - like me - are sensitive to being pressured. "Where's your reply?" "Still interested??" can feel a bit rude, instead think about how you'd like to be approached. My own mental healthy backstory actually helped me a lot with finding a good tone here. "Hey, just checking in on you again, is everything alright? :)" now that's a message even anxious old me would have survived ^^
  • Often times people write in their RTs how frequent on average they reply. I'd say after 2-3 days it's okay to check in ooc, but personally I tend to wait around a week
    • Little tip: Often times people writ eon their profiles if something's up! Check them first, multiple times now I was about to ask ooc but stopped when I noticed an explanation for their absence on their profile
  • For your own posts - reply when you feel like it. It's really that easy. Be open about it, it's okay to read replies and not reply instantly, it's okay to chat ooc but nor replying in the rp that day. If you are worried to send the wrong message like that feel free to proactively explain it "Hey, I really liked your reply! I feel a bit under the weather today though, so I don't think I'll be able to get a proper reply done today"
    • We are all human beings here - you don't have to overshare if that makes you uncomfortable, but we all are familiar with bad days, so people tend to understand
  • As stereotypical as it sounds, honesty is to me the best solution. If you have silly anxiety born worries about not replying frequently enough, disappointing people etc, share them. A semi joking tone can make it easier to get these things out, just don't slide too deep into self deprecating humor - that ain't good for you and can rub some people the wrong way ^^

I struggled with social anxiety as a teen a lot too, forums actually helped me a lot with that. I clearly remember how I used to get half a panic attack when I got a notification. I can laugh about it now, but I certainly couldn't back then ^^'

• Generally people expect a back and forth. I personally dislike it when people *bump* the rp - that's what I keep an ooc channel for
    • some people - like me - are sensitive to being pressured. "Where's your reply?" "Still interested??" can feel a bit rude, instead think about how you'd like to be approached. My own mental healthy backstory actually helped me a lot with finding a good tone here. "Hey, just checking in on you again, is everything alright? :)" now that's a message even anxious old me would have survived ^^
  • Often times people write in their RTs how frequent on average they reply. I'd say after 2-3 days it's okay to check in ooc, but personally I tend to wait around a week
    • Little tip: Often times people writ eon their profiles if something's up! Check them first, multiple times now I was about to ask ooc but stopped when I noticed an explanation for their absence on their profile
  • For your own posts - reply when you feel like it. It's really that easy. Be open about it, it's okay to read replies and not reply instantly, it's okay to chat ooc but nor replying in the rp that day. If you are worried to send the wrong message like that feel free to proactively explain it "Hey, I really liked your reply! I feel a bit under the weather today though, so I don't think I'll be able to get a proper reply done today"
    • We are all human beings here - you don't have to overshare if that makes you uncomfortable, but we all are familiar with bad days, so people tend to understand
  • As stereotypical as it sounds, honesty is to me the best solution. If you have silly anxiety born worries about not replying frequently enough, disappointing people etc, share them. A semi joking tone can make it easier to get these things out, just don't slide too deep into self deprecating humor - that ain't good for you and can rub some people the wrong way ^^
Thank you very much LupaLuna. Great advice. I am doing my first RP by PM. Social anxiety is a bear but I am working on it. Being on here I think will help that. Learn to accept rejection and interacting with people better and hone my writing skills.

Back
Top Bottom