Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

ꜱᴛᴀʀ ᴛʀᴇᴋ: ᴍᴇᴍᴏʀᴀʙʟᴇ ᴍᴇᴅɪᴄᴀʟ ᴍᴀɴᴇᴜᴠᴇʀꜱ [ᴅᴏᴄ x ʙᴜɴɴʏ] (currently closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor Manhattan

"ɪ'ᴍ ᴊᴜꜱᴛ ᴀ ᴘᴜᴘᴘᴇᴛ ᴡʜᴏ ᴄᴀɴ ꜱᴇᴇ ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴛʀɪɴɢꜱ."
Stardate 37202.1

Captain's Log: Having just encountered three Klingon warbirds along Ceti Alpha Seven, we are lucky to have escpaed with our lives. Recommend commendations for Sever, Lucas, Giles and Jensen. We lost Danvers; I...was responsible. I ordered him on the last away team. It wasn't his rotation, he was on break but dammit, we needed people. I'll inform his family personally. Ahh...I've suffered some cuts myself, nothing to severe, in mild pain. I'm on my way to sickbay now. Hopefully not for too long.

Shutting off his communicator, Captain James T. Kirk of the U.S.S. Enterprise checked himself in the large, full-size mirror that he kept within his quarters. Sure, it was an antiquity of a bygone era; classic wood paneling, cracks and some stains that he hadn't yet cleaned on the surface. Still, he kept it around, and not merely to bask in his own reflection. While he'd readily admit to a large ego, he wasn't that self-concerned, nor that self-conscious. It had belonged to his mother, Winona, and therefore he treasured it. The mirror had been in his family for generations, and preserving something so ancient but with such sentimental value mattered to him greatly.

So he kept it here.

Glancing at the man in the surface staring back into his cool blue voids, Kirk wasn't sure whether he should wince, or be impressed. Yes, he cut a striking figure, and had always been popular with the ladies - perhaps too much so, if Pike's stern warnings were any indication. Smirking, Kirk's expression faded as he considered the real reason why looking into the depths of his reflection haunted him today, and that was due to his injuries. For the first time that he could remember, the man actually felt properly old. It was enough to drive anyone mad.

Sighing, at least even in his staggered pain he told himself it wasn't that bad. Danvers, god bless him, paid with his life. Kirk shook that and the discomfort away; looking down, all he saw was minor wounds that wouldn't require much treatment. Bones would understand - that was his nickname for Dr. McCoy, who absolutely hated the term. This only made Kirk use it more. Funny that way, it was just within his sense of humor to give the good doctor a bit of hassle.

Whenever it came down to business, however, Kirk proved time and again to be as sharp and shrewd as anyone in charge of a ship, much less (as in his case) the very flagship of the Federation itself. He'd always believed that he'd handled it with dignity. Perhaps today only felt moderately different. It was just the injuries talking, he told himself. A dash of blood here and there, nothing much, but he had to get it treated or he'd never hear the end of it.

Steeling himself up, Kirk made his way toward the turbolift, ignoring most of the crew generally as they went about their day and firing off a salute to Commander Evans, who sent one to him first. Typical. It was empty inside, besides himself, and as he stepped out briskly, he went straight to the main sickbay ward. "
Dammit Jim, trying to kill yourself already? It's not even lunchtime," McCoy said drily, by way of greeting, which Kirk nearly laughed at before he caught himself. Was that cute nurse around? Hmm. Pondering that, Kirk instead extended his arm and replied, equally as sarcastic. "Lucky for you, Spock caught me before I could jump. So you'll only have to deal with these," the good captain chuckled, extending his hand. McCoy, for his part, smartly bit back his rejoinder, and scanned with the tricorder.

As the doctor got to work, Kirk swiveled around, casting his eyes around the room, which was unusually full. Damn this war. Damn those Klingons. Again, he thought of the nurse, and hoped she was near. He could use some good cheer.

Rolling her neck she let out a soft sigh. Work never seemed to be done, at least on the Enterprise. Therese had been on smaller ships, but her promotion to the Enterprise had been a dream come true. Being out there on the front lines, seeing the galaxy? What she hadn't counted on was the number of benign accidents that would require her attention. It wasn't unusual to see Therese all over the ship tending to minor wounds. The heavy weight of her hair pinned up with a pen, locks tumbling around her pale face and neck as she tended to her patients. It wasn't that she was being run ragged, she was inflicting this on herself, trying to prove her worth to her new Lieutenant. Doctor McCoy was a well known and respected doctor, even if his methods were some time outside of the box. She'd seen them her first day on the ship as she attended to him while he patched the Captain up. Captain Kirk and Doctor McCoy had an interesting relationship she'd learned that day. It reminded her of her brothers, the way they bickered with one another. She'd caught herself smiling and the focus of the Captain when she'd excused herself, her cheeks burning crimson. He was handsome, the Captain, but she had dismissed the look as anything else than surprise at her smiling. He'd never want someone like her.

If McCoy was well known, Captain Kirk was a legend. Hell, most of the bridge staff was. Yet, she knew his reputation as a fan of the ladies and she? Well she didn't fit that brief. She wasn't tall, gorgeous and built for sin. Tessa had seen some of the women since, that flocked to the Captain and she knew for a fact now, she wasn't his type. She was tiny, first off. Four feet and eleven inches. The women normally around him were five foot five or more; legs for days and the swagger to back it up. They were also built like goddesses, where she was delicately portioned. You could tell she was a woman, but that is where it ended. Her uniform fit her well though and if she wasn't setting her sights on the Captain than she'd be fine, Tessa felt.

Humming softly as she finished her report, her head bent over her clipboard as she walked into medical. Without looking up she spoke, her voice soft and sweet. "They are all patched up Doc. Is there anything else you needed me to do?" Walking past them, still focusing on the end of her report she rose on her tiptoes, her slender frame stretching as she put the clipboard at the top of the rack. Down in the engineering bay it had been hot, but here in the medical bay it was cool. Turning she pulled the pin from her hair and placed it into her pocket, her smile faltering as she saw to whom McCoy was tending to. Lips slightly parted, she flushed and cleared her throat. "I could go help out Livingston, if you'd like Sir." Her eyes, those pale jade green orbs had slid off of Kirk as if he were medusa from ancient Greece and he'd turn her to stone.

Unfortunately the door slid open with a soft whoosh and Livingston came in. Tossing his own clipboard onto the counter he gave her a wave. Shaking her head she turned to pick up his clipboard, putting it away properly. "You are such a slob, how did you ever become a doctor?" Her voice held a slight teasing tone, the pair friendly. The man chuckled and stuck his tongue out at her. Laughing she turned back to McCoy and inhaled slowly. "Did you need anything before I headed to grab dinner, Sir?" Unlike most women, she didn't stare at the Captain, but studiously kept her gaze on her Lieutenant. Standing this close he'd likely smell the scent of spearmint and bergamot with vanilla lingering in the air as she shifted uneasily on her feet. She just wanted to escape, still embarrassed by her first interaction with the Captain.

Wincing slightly, Kirk watched as McCoy picked up his instruments, specifically choosing the synthetic fabricator, and went to work. He'd told Bones before that he remained fascinated by the way that the other male did his job, with a methodical accuracy that time had rarely if ever proven to be poor. Perhaps a handful of times McCoy had been wrong, and even that would be stretching it. His Number One, Spock, no doubt had the numbers ready, since they both took great pleasure in ribbing each other whenever able. Thankfully, Spock currently manned the bridge, while Kirk remained here getting patched up. Hooray.

No one hated being here more than him. Not when there was work to do. Not when they were in the middle of a protracted battle that didn't seem to want to end anytime soon. Not with Danvers, shot to pieces, dying in his arms. Kirk dealth with death every day; it didn't get easier, but when he survived as he had done all those times past, he sure felt worse about it.

It was for these reasons that he sought the alleviating presence of the new nurse, Therese. Or Tessa as McCoy tended to call her, if he remembered correctly. Normally pretty good with keeping up on his crew, he made sure he'd learned all he could within the good nurse's file personally, upon seeing her for the first time. Maybe she might not have felt it herself, having not been blessed with the 'standard' looks that tended to allure others. To Kirk, though, she was such a breath of fresh air, both in appearance and in personality. Always he found himself smiling when she was around.

Right on cue, the woman herself showed up and Kirk took a gander at her surreptitiously, as McCoy brought the intensely focused laster optics up along his nicks and cuts. "
Dammit, that stings," Kirk howled, unable to resist, but McCoy just laughed. Good; usually, that boded well. It's when the Doctor went quiet that Kirk really got concerned. At least Tessa distracted him, just by being nearby; he definitely felt much better immediately, and he'd of course put it down to the Doctor's efforts if asked.

Of course.

She joked around with her teammate in Sickbay and perhaps he was merely overthinking it or perhaps he caught on to her downcast eyes, but it seemed to the Captain that Tessa avoided looking at him directly. Why? What had he done? Racking his brains, he couldn't guess at what might be the cause, although in their very short history together (which amounted to essentially nothing), he'd never once even addressed her. Hmm. Ah, then it registered for Kirk. His reputation preceded him. That must have been it. Even still, it wouldn't matter unless there was a spark of attraction there, though for the life of him he couldn't imagine that to be the case. Huh.

Instead of dwelling on that mystery, it seemed like she was about to leave. Shame; he would have liked to talk to her further. Just then, he yelped, as McCoy nearly singed him. "
Watch where you're pointing that thing!" Kirk shouted out. Glaring at him, McCoy instead looked like he would snap at the nurse, though his tone softened immediately. "Yes, Tessa, since my patient wants to be a crybaby today," he drawled lazily, much to Kirk's bemusement, "Why don't you come here and hold his arm steady while I finish him up? Then I'll even buy your dinner," he promised, though all three of them knew it was a hollow statement.

Food didn't cost anything on the Enterprise, not with the replicators everywhere.

"
Good to see you again, Therese, under what I wish were better circumstances," he said to her charmingly, brows slightly widening. The scent of her various fragrances combined permeated his olfactory senses pleasantly. Kirk directed his brown orbs at her, searching her face for clues as to her reticence. Could be she was just shy? "And how are you enjoying your time aboard the Enterprise so far? Hopefully this war hasn't been too bad for you all," he mused, a grimace flittering across his features when McCoy restarted his pacing again. At least he'd have some good conversation during this patch-up, he thought, the faintest smirk rising to his charismatic face.

Again that sense of ease between the two men struck her. It wasn't unusual for the higher ups to be friends, but that wasn't so readily on display; at least in her experience. It made the Enterprise feel.. more like a family. Tessa was unsure if this was their key to success, but whatever it was, it made them a force to be reckoned with. Standing to the side, she waited and when McCoy looked up, his face initially annoyed, softened almost instantly upon seeing her and she gave him a soft, shy smile. "Of course, Doctor." From beneath her lashes she glanced at the captain as she stepped between the men.

The softness of her frame pressed against the Captain's side, her hands firm as she held his arm in place, though while she pinned the limb down, she was gentle with the pressure she applied. The rumble of his voice could be felt as he spoke to her and she glanced up at him a soft, sweet blush in her cheeks. "This is normally the way I see most people." There was a slight confusion in her voice and behind her McCoy smiled. It was refreshing to see a woman not throwing themselves at him. He knew that Tessa was mostly just oblivious. He'd seen several men from injuries, self-inflicted, trying to flirt with the woman only for her to chastise them about being more careful, their flirting going above her head.

"Wars are never pleasant. I am just happy I am able to help." In truth she'd seen some injuries that had made her stomach turn, but unlike some of her co-workers, she'd kept it down and not puked. It wasn't like the horror on the bodies of men and women had happened to her after all. The least she could do was look at what had been done to them without disgust in her eyes. "I like it here though," this was added as an afterthought. She did like it on the Enterprise. There was never a dull moment and to work with the Doctor? It had been a dream come true. She respected McCoy greatly.

"If you relax, Sir, it will hurt less." This was murmured softly. The wound wasn't horrible in truth, but his muscle had been damaged, which was in part, why it hurt so much. "When you contract your arm like that, it tenses the muscles around the wound and it will just hurt more." Jade eyes rose to meet his and she tilted her head to one side, a soft smile on her lips. "What is your favorite thing to eat?" It was a random question and was meant to distract him from what was happening. McCoy smiled behind her as she worked her magic. There was more than one reason he'd never snap at the girl. She had an innate sense of what to do and what was needed.

She also was the perfect candidate to distract Kirk. Young, pretty and oblivious to his charms. That would drive his friend crazy... He could only too well remember how he'd chased Uhura. Unlike Uhura though, Tessa was single as far as he knew and if he was honest, she'd be good for the Captain. Though, it would take a bit of work to even get her to notice him. She smiled at the Captain as the Doctor pulled back. "See, all done!" Her voice was bright and cheerful and frankly the same tone she'd use with a child. McCoy coughed to hide his laugh. "Thank you Tessa. You are free to go now." Turning she smiled and nodded. "Alright, see you in the morning." She lifted her hand in a small wave and turned to leave.

Taking the opportunity to relax as much as he could under the circumstances, Kirk immediately felt his blood pressure decrease rapidly simply by that first touch of the young nurse on his cool skin. Therese had the ability to hold him firmly, and yet display a tenderness that only the best in her field ever aspired to. "Of course, naturally, that makes sense," he said awkwardly, when she made it clear that he wasn't at all out of the course of normal procedure around here. Though that hadn't been exactly what he'd meant, he found it funny, a mild quirk of language, and moved on, as he still felt restless, ready to get back to the bridge the minute he was pronounced good as new.

McCoy hovered nearby, and while a tad nervous since he'd already felt the sting of the doctor's efforts, Kirk allowed the good man to continue right along with what he was doing, easier with the woman now holding him steadily. "
The Doctor tells me you've been indispensible, so keep up the good work," he finished, rather lamely. It came off as more the standard slogan a ship's captain might parrot. "Err, meaning, the war's not over by a long shot yet," he recovered, instead turning it into a warning of sorts. All sense of the dire dissipated from his tone, however, as Kirk didn't want to paint the horrific picture of all they'd had to go through.

Tessa already knew, better than most. The Klingons were a vicious sort.

Up close, her gentle smile affected him deeply, as he felt a little more hopeful thanks to her alighted features. Kirk rarely let himself delve into the depths of his mission, what he'd accomplished so far and what he had yet to do. Certainly, serving on the Enterprise and leading the ship remained a challenging, daunting affair, one that he'd not so easily allow to weigh on him. But watching Danvers lose his life made Kirk more reflective than normal, more cognizant of the big picture, and the many potential dangers that lurked out there in the galaxy.

But, he was getting ahead of himself. Returning to reality, Kirk glanced up at the girl and took in her abundant warmth, returning the grin. "
Sorry, I'll make it easier on you," he said quietly, loosening the inherent tension that had sprang up thanks to the damage taken. "Good thing you enjoy it here, McCoy needs company or he'll get grouchy," Kirk tossed off as a joke, causing an inaudible grumble to utter lowly from McCoy's lips. Still, the man's hand didn't flinch, impressive. "Ah...sorry, good question. I love pepperoni pizza, though our replicators are woeful. Ever been to New York? Still the best pizza on the planet," he stated firmly, ignoring the last vestiges of McCoy's work.

"
All good. See, that wasn't so bad. Don't forget it in my next performance review," McCoy drawled out lazily, causing Kirk to laugh. Hopping nimbly off the bench, he saw that Tessa appeared ready to go, and decided, what the hell, he wanted to spend more time with her, if he could. Get to know her better. "Uh, wait. Mind if I join you? I could use replenishment before returning to duty. Isn't that right, Bones?" McCoy glanced up, eyebrows raised. Smart ploy, and surprising. Kirk hadn't ever indicated any interest in Tessa before. Hmm. "That's...correct. Can't have you falling over. Go on, make sure he's fed," McCoy teased Tessa, consciously helping the Captain's cause, more for his own sense of amusement than anything else. He'd never force her; it was merely a suggestion and she'd freely choose her own path. McCoy merely wanted to guide them a little.

If nothing else, medically, it boded well for Kirk to have a good girl by his side, right? She'd be a much better pick for him then Uhura ever was. "
Have fun, kiddos," McCoy stated plainly, then - after briefly saluting the captain - he turned heel and went back to his office, so neither of them could see the huge smile plastered to his face.

The captain was a bit odd. That was what Tessa was getting from the little interaction they had as she assisted the doctor. It wasn't bad by any means, but it still stood out to her. He was meant to be this smooth ladies man and yet, he seemed awkward. It was almost charming even if it puzzled her. "Thank you, Captain." This had been murmured as he told her to keep up the good work. "I will," Her voice trailed off and she offered a slight nod when he told her the war was far from over. War was something she'd never get, but she knew enough to know what it meant to other races. She was able to respect their views even if she vehemently disagreed. He was a good patient though, when she asked him to relax he did. She blinked large, beautiful eyes at him.. "Grumpy?" This was the first she was hearing of it, but then again, the good Doctor went out of his way to not be grumpy to the young woman, not that she knew that. She smiled though as he answered her question. "I haven't." Tessa had been born ins pace and only attended the academy on earth for the years she was required to. She was about to question him about what made the pizza from New York so good when the Doctor finished.

She turned as he asked her to wait. She blushed slightly and looked at the Doctor. What the look was for was anyone's guess. Was she asking permission or begging for him to save her? Though she nodded slightly and offered the Captain a shy smile. "It would be my pleasure." There would be some benefit to having the Captain with her. She'd likely be left alone and allowed to eat in peace. People on the Enterprise were such a lovely bunch, if she was seen eating alone there was always someone who wanted to eat with her. "See you tomorrow!" She waved and headed out, opening the door and waiting for the Captain to pass through before falling in step beside him. As they walked she felt eyes on them. Was it because they were looking at the Captain? Something told her it was more than that. She wasn't someone he'd normally be seen with after all.

The silence felt a little odd so she broke it looking up at him with a smile. "So what is it about New York pizza that makes it better?" The pair walked down the hall side by side, passing members of the crew as they hurried from one place to another. As they stepped into the lift Tessa said. "Ten Forward, please." The please wasn't necessary, it wasn't like the ship cared, but Tessa always said it. It made her feel better. The lift began to move and she leaned against the wall relaxing for the short trip. As the door opened, she waited once more for him to exit before following. "You know you can't have pizza, right?" Her voice held laughter as they entered the mess hall. She was mostly teasing, but she would prefer if he got something healthy. She knew what pizza was, even if she'd never tried it herself.

Walking to the fabricators she bit her lower lip, thinking for a moment. "Chicken Caesar salad and water, please." She took her food as it appeared and she took a step to the side. Looking at the Captain she smiled. "I am watching." Again she tried for a joke. Around them she felt eyes, but this time it wasn't just the females, but the males of the ship who had been trying to catch her eye for as long as she'd been aboard. Mutterings of course it would be the Captain who caught her. But much like their advances and his own, she hadn't a clue.

Later, the captain would consider that perhaps he was a bit too forward, a bit too eager to go off alone with the newest crew member, and maybe even brazen enough to want to take her out from Sickbay for a bite to eat. It didn't exactly fully register initially that he sort of butt in, when it wasn't warranted. Hmm. McCoy definitely had no problem at all with the interjection, based on that small smirk that Kirk caught when the doctor turned away from him. Oh, he'd bet Bones would be more than happy to talk his ear off about the many wonderful qualities that Tessa possessed aside from her obvious beauty. Probably why McCoy had no problem with the two of them together, if only for a light jaunt and a meal.

"It would be my pleasure."​

However, it wasn't till Therese herself assented, and so clearly too, that he felt actually comfortable with what he had done.

Pacing behind her gently at first, he rattled his own brains to discover what it was that made him want to be in the young girl's company a little longer. Not just war, no; that was merely a part of the story in full. Really, he was too solitary, too cooped up in his quarters, too easy to frustrate. So she offered a bit of a distraction from all of those troubles. Her cheery method of seeing McCoy off caused Kirk to grin. Nothing made him happier than to see his crew getting along so well, the pair of them working so efficiently and effectively while they were busy and then reverting to relaxed and loose when it wasn't. Perfect.

But even as he went to fall into step with Tessa, just beside her, Kirk knew that he could make any excuses that he wanted but really - he just liked the girl. She looked so lovely, and her personality matched. In fact, he was more aware of the many different sets of voids that seemed to flit toward him and his company while they moved. Kirk was used to it; as the head of the ship, often he was actually stopped in the hallways, as someone had something pressing to discuss with the good man, and catching him here rather than on the bridge made it that much easier. Apparently, according to what Spock had told him once, people found climbing up to the bridge very intimidating. When he then asked his Commander what the opinion of Kirk was amongst the crew, based on the research, Spock merely quirked his eyebrow in that irritating manor and said simply, "Fine, Captain. Just fine." Instead of elaborating, he then left on an 'urgent errand'. Between Spock and McCoy, it often seemed that Kirk would have to find new friends pronto.

He realized that he had been a poor host up to this point, and Tessa's question brought him crashing right back to the ship itself.
"Ah, that. I grew up in Riverside, Iowa. But my dad had a friend, Freddie, who came from one of the old burroughs in New York, Queens. Man used to make the pizzas by hand and I swear he put extra love in every bite. Why is it the best? Well, have you ever eaten food flavored with some real passion? That's what the spark was. Replicators can only do so much," he said woefully, stopping in front as they grabbed their individual trays.

It felt nice for him to be able to share that story and he appreciated that she showed enough interest to ask. Of course, just then he felt the complete opposite from her, giving him grief, as he actually was just on the cusp of ordering pizza. Smart. Looking at her gleefully, Kirk bit his lip to avoid showing his grin widening. "
Uh huh. Nice. Gladst...please," he added politely as an afterthought, mimicking his partner. "It's a vegetarian Klingon dish, don't worry. Keeps me in fit and fighting form," he mused, finding a table in the busy dining hall and holding the chair for his partner out first. It was an old and antiquated custom of politeness perhaps but to Kirk it always registered strongly. Once they were both settled, he moved his food around the plate slightly - certainly it was a lot less visually appealing than pizza - and, ignoring the chatter of those around them both, he looked up and finally asked Tessa the question that he'd been wondering about since her requested transfer had come in.

"
I want to know...if you don't mind," he interposed quickly, "what was it that made you want to join Enterprise? The war had just started and the document came through, then I looked at your file and frankly felt more than glad to take you on," he said firmly, impressing upon her that he had been proud to accept. "But...it's strange, coming to this ship at this time. So, what was the draw? Sorry, just curious," he finished, and waiting on her response, he bit up the courage and took a bite of his Gladst.

Not bad. Not bad at all.

Listening to him talk about pizza, and the man Freddie made her smile slightly. His question made her smile grow and she gave a shake of her head. "I haven't. I grew up in space.. Not many private quarters have the things needed for a home cooked meal." It was true, what he said, she had heard about it loads. It was honestly some things he felt she was missing out on, but with no way to remedy, she tried to not dwell on what a home cooked meal filled with love would be like. Much like the captain himself, it was something that wasn't destined to be hers, so she didn't dwell on it. Why waste that effort? She could be happy with where she was on the ship and her position and in her replicator produced foods. Her eyes narrowed a fraction as she said uh-huh.. Something telling her she had just caught the captain before he ordered pizza. The please wasn't lost on her, but rather than feel self-conscious about the odd little habit she had, she found it pleasant to have him echo it.

"Oh I have had it," Tessa's voice was dry and she wrinkled her nose playfully. "Not really my cup of tea." Following him to the table she blushed as he pulled out her chair, but took the seat and let him push it in gently behind her. Like an actual gentleman. No wonder so many women fell for him. It was more than the title he bore. The charm sure as hell had a lot to do with it, she mused as he took a seat. "Thank you." Stirring her salad she watched as the leafy greens stirred, the chicken and veggies vanishing into the pile before she speared some on the end of her fork, lifting to her mouth as Kirk shifted his Gladst on his try another smile flickering on the edges of he mouth as she chewed. His question had her setting her fork down and reaching for her water, taking a sip before clearing her throat. It was a fair question.

"The easiest answer was a desire to work with Doctor McCoy." It had been the main draw of the post.. "But.. More than that. I wanted to be somewhere where I would be of the most use." She gave a small shrug. "Sure, I would be useful anywhere, I guess one could argue... But war is never easy." She looked down at her water, a finger tracing a slow drip of condensation. "I am perhaps not the best, but I have enough confidence in my skills and ability to know I would be an asset in times like this. Prideful I suppose." Her eyes lifted and her cheeks burned now as she met his gaze. "I knew I could do some good and pride or not, that was all I really wanted." Biting her lower lip she watched him chew his Gladst. "And this ship, if you take the Doctor out of the equation, well.. I would think that was obvious, Captain. The Enterprise is the jewel of the fleet, on the front lines and almost always in the thick of... whatever is at hand." He had also been a draw, but that felt too much like brown nosing to say she'd wanted to serve under a Captain like him.

Shifting slightly in her seat she looked down at her plate. She wanted to ask him something, but it wasn't the sort of question you asked anyone, let alone him. Yet she couldn't leave well enough alone. "How are you holding up after today?" Her voice had softened and it was clear she didn't mean the injury. Her eyes, those vivid green eyes softened as she looked at him and she continued softer still. "You don't have to answer, but I know what it is like to lose someone that I am meant to care for..." She was offering him an ear and silent understanding for him to let go of that burden. Tessa doubted many offered to listen to the losses he suffered. He was the rock of the ship. He was meant to be stoic and without faults. It was an unrealistic standard and if she could help him shoulder the burden, even a little....

Rarely was Kirk lucky enough to have someone's company in Ten Forward. Usually, the captain dined alone, or with Spock and McCoy in the few but welcome occurences that they had their shifts off together, or could join up for dinnertime. Kirk had many qualities that many found archaic; his argument had always been that he'd been preserving the legacies of the past for the generations of the future. This applied to how he ate, and chose to eat, opting for public meals with friends, bread broken and stories swapped while the rest of the crew on the ship had the chance to interact with their senior officers. Reflecting how different all of this was for either of them, Kirk took a moment to bask in the easy peace that settled in once they both started eating in earnest. He could do with that feeling more often.

As the minutes passed and he listened to Tessa's interesting answers, Kirk gnawed on his Gladst, and privately wished he'd gotten something else. However, he didn't dwell long on that minor complaint; more relevant were her words, expressing truths that he could sympathize with. "
I had to bring a lot of my own kitchen items from back home," he confirmed, finding it a bit sad that they relied on the replicator technology so much nowadays. Some things were better when done directly. At least he and Tessa agreed on that, or so it appeared. No comment was needed on his politeness, or her opinion of his food - one that today he was coming around to share. Her response to what drew her to his ship intrigued him greatly, though, as it told him much about her personality. Kirk also subconsciously noted that she avoided mentioning him as part of her decision-making, which wasn't very common at all. Without any sense of ego, he was well aware that his name carried a certain amount of weight throughout Starfleet.

It was one of the reasons that they'd given him this spectacular ship to call his own.

"
Well, I'll have to thank Doctor McCoy personally for being so exemplary that he attracted you over here," Kirk said bemusedly, smiling bright. "I've read the reviews from him, by the way; he thinks you're an outstanding nurse, one of the best he's ever worked with. So I'd say your confidence is far from mistaken. You did keep me sane earlier," he added, grinning even wider now. Taking a sip of his cool water, Kirk leaned in slightly, eyes alighting. "And you don't need to tell me, of all people, about the allure of the Enterprise." Splaying his arms wide, he then turned and pointed out the large windows behind them. "That right there, that's why we're out here. To explore. To learn. To study. New life and new civilizations are everywhere, some needing our aid now more than ever due to the war, and we're the first and last line of defense. We have to be the best. That's the example I've tried to set," he told her solemnly, the smile finally fading ever-so-slightly.

8550eb8ff59373d80a3182f33d8f9530340c8f6b.gif
Considering deeply the query she posed in return, Kirk's expression grew sad, forlorn. "
Danvers, you mean? I knew George for years, served with him on the Faragut. His wife, Carol, made a mean old fashioned meatloaf," Kirk said fondly, keeping his voice steady despite the flood of emotions that swept over him. He didn't usually get a chance to let any of these thoughts out safely, so Tessa inadvertantly gave him the permission to say what was on his mind. She also said she knew what it was like, which he seized on. "Do you know, then? I tell you Tessa, it hurt me, down to the soul. Always does. And I'm the captain, I don't get to shirk off work, and wallow in depression. I came back, took a glance in the mirror, and got myself fixed up." He held up his hand to emphasize the point, though of course she was the one who'd helped McCoy to repair it. "Me? I'm fine, and thank you for asking. I'll be fine, I'm used to it. Danvers? He'll never breathe again. The Damn Klingons got him. I'll have to live with that, but it only makes me want to do better."

Slowly, Kirk lifted his glass, offering it tilted toward her for a toast. "
To Lieutenant George Herbert Danvers. Starfleet got lucky with him, and his loss will never be forgotten." Quietly, taking a quick sip, he put it down and pushed his food around, thinking for a moment. "Do you ever wish you'd pursued a different field in the Academy? Or, better yet, if you weren't in medicine, where would you be?"

Unlike Kirk, Tessa found it hard to eat alone in Ten Forward, though she chalked this up to people being friendly. Even as they ate and talked, sharing the meal and more, others snuck glances at the pair. They both drew attention for different reasons and yet, they were identical if not flipped depending on the sex of the one looking in most cases. She could feel eyes, but dismissed them, choosing to give her Captain her full attention. Oddly enough, the nerves that had been present when he'd first asked to join her had vanished and Tessa ate her meal comfortably as they spoke about why she'd transferred. A small smile curled on her lips as she watched him eating his meal. While outwardly he didn't show dislike of his meal, she sensed.. something. Shifting her plate she tilted her head in question. When he responded she tilted some of her caesar salad and chicken onto his plate. "While I am sure your Gladst is delicious.." her eyes shimmered with laughter as she went back to eating, listening to him talk. "You have a kitchen?" The way he said it made it seem as if he could cook his own meals. her own quarters, while nice, were not that nice. "Do you cook for yourself?"

Her cheeks flushed to a bright pink and she shook her head, the heavy weight of her hair swirling slightly around her shoulders with the motion. "Please don't." The idea of him being informed that he was the reason she'd transferred was mortifying and Kirk only made her blush deeper as he told her about the reviews of her performance. A sheepish mile was given and she fought back a laugh. "I am glad I was able to help." Her smile faded slowly from her face and she listened as he talked with passion about the ship he captained. She nodded, and smiled looking out the window. "I grew up in space and it always manages to take my breath away.." Her voice was softer now. Eyes moved back to his face and she reached out touching his hand, "You do, you know?" Her eyes had softened and she withdrew her hand quickly enough.

The subject changed, that sadness sort of lingering around them both. "Yes." She smiled slightly and leaned forward, listening to him speak about a friend. The closeness with Danvers would only make it hurt more, not less. "I do..." Her voice tailed off, haunted by the losses she'd witnessed and been unable to stop. Her heart hurt for him in that moment and she nodded. While she couldn't shirk her own details, she was allowed time to grieve. He had no such luxury. He was the face.. one might even say the soul of the ship. If he showed his pain, his hurt... it would ripple through the ship and cause mirror reactions. She frowned when he claimed it. "Lair." Her eyes were not cold, and her voice was still that soft tone from before. "You may be good at hiding it, but to be the man you are...You wouldn't be you.. You never get used to it." She eyed him and was willing to bet that he had nightmares after one of his men died. Not something that would be proper to ask an almost complete stranger or accuse him of either... So when he lift his cup she did as well, the rims of their glasses touching as she echoed, "To Lieutenant George Herbert Danvers. Never forgotten"

Taking a slow sip she leaned back in her seat. His question was a very clear direction change and she didn't push the subject further. "I maybe would have wanted to be a doctor, but if not medical... I always wanted to fly." She bit her lower lip in though and closed her eyes. "And if I hadn't joined Starfleet... I would have likely tried my hand at something like archaeology." Her eyes opened and she smiled. "Earth may be well known, but the galaxy? She still holds mysteries and uncovering them would have been a lovely way to spend my life, I think. What about you?" She toyed with her fork, not as hungry as she had once been.

Kirk hadn't had Gladst in ages. No wonder it tasted difficult for him, not awful but not at all as savory as he remembered. Kirk recalled that at that time, he had been dining at the behest of the Klingon High Council, when he was on much friendlier terms with the Klingons - indeed, the entire Federation had been in those days. So what he had eaten had been authentic, and this glop was...decidely not. He wasn't a big fan of the stuff, but he would stomach it if he had to. Thankfully, Tessa seemed to notice that he had some issues with the meal and delicately added some of her own food to his plate, for which he was grateful. "Thank you, really, you're too kind," he admitted, feeling out of sorts. It wasn't like him to try and impress someone he didn't know too well with a fancy delicacy from another planet, and it was even more unlikely that he'd be flustered. Still, seizing on her question, Kirk at least found some solace in the answer as he began to nibble on his chicken and salad portion. "I do have a kitchen in my quarters, yes, but I rarely cook. Never have the time," he told her, smiling at least since his meal became much more edible.

Finding it a bit odd that she was so hesitant for him to say a word to McCoy at first, Kirk then reflected that privately, it was a big ask, and he was taking liberties. That was the last thing he wanted to do with Tessa, or even give that impression in the slightest. She was such an amazing woman and he was lucky to have her in any capacity, so if staying quiet worked better for her then he'd do so easily. "
Alright...my lips are sealed," he told her instead, shifting gears, and then after taking a few more big bites of her food that she'd spit with him, he reflected on her kindness, complimenting him, as well as her own statement about the amazing powers that the very stars held in the imagination. He could relate to it greatly.

It was much quieter when they toasted Danvers. He was glad she instantly sympathized, as any good nurse would do. But it was more than that, really. She had such a personable quality to her, and he saw that she also had to deal with those tough emotions, either due to patients being faced with it or for herself. Eyes raised slightly, he braced himself at her harsh rejoinder, but there was no heat in it; she was merely trying to let him get his thoughts and feelings out. "
I'll never get used to it, then, but we do move on, and that's all I can do. Your ear alone means a lot, and I really do appreciate you asking about me," Kirk said to her gently, taking the grasp of her delicate palm as she offered it. She felt warm and fully alive, vital. He needed that reminder now more than ever.

"
Archaeology is an amazing field. Me? Oh, I don't know, I was always a bit of a scoundrel," Kirk allowed, smiling broadly. "Probably I would have flunked out of the Academy, my dad would have beat my butt and I'd be doing shipyard construction on the docks. A few near my home, so, easy money for honest pay," he joked, the atmosphere much lighter since he relieved the lingering tension that had been toying with him since he returned to the ship.

"
I don't want to keep you too long, if you're done," he added, looking at her plate. His own only had the Gladst left, forgotten. "You saved me. Last time I order that," he mused out loud, leaning back in his chair. "We can head off whenever you're ready. I'll walk you to your quarters, if you like," he finished, unsure about the last part. Kirk would say that he was merely being genial, and a good host as captain, but he was reluctant to give up time with her for as long as it might be, if it could be avoided.

Last edited:
She shook her head and smiled. "I was ordered to make sure you ate." It had been more than that though. For her, sharing her food was a way to show she cared. It was part of her love language, not that that was currently a factor. She might have a crush on the Captain, but love was far off. Flirting wasn't her strong suit either and while she'd considered winking, yet there was no way he'd look at her like that and it would kill the budding friendship between the pair. While she'd been almost afraid of being alone with him, Tessa found she enjoyed his company. He wasn't stuffy or unapproachable. Not that she'd have thought he'd be... other Captains had been though. Tilting her head she rested her chin on her palm as she watched him eat. "That seems a shame that you don't put it to use." He'd gone through a lot of trouble to bring it aboard.. "But it does makes sense. You lead a very busy life." They all did, but she doubted anyone could say their life was as hectic as his own.

"Thank you." She exhaled and smiled shyly. "I know it seems silly, but I admire his work. I don't want it to change how we interact, knowing that he was the reason I put in to transfer here. Even if just in part." Toying with the edge of her glass her smile grew. "Like, if I worked on the bridge and told you I transferred only because you were captain, it might not hurt me in your eyes, but it isn't a good enough reason. It seems... like I'd be kissing up. I don't want to earn my place, my role on the ship because of such a thing." Chuckling, she sighed. "Sorry." She felt a bit silly for explaining it when he'd already agreed to keep it to himself.

Her hand tightened around his, a squeeze of understanding. "It never does and I don't think it should." It was much an echo of what she'd said to him just moments before. Death should never be easy. "I doubt many take the time to realize you're human too.." This was said so softly, her eyes rising to meet his. "My door is always open if you need to talk." It was offered in hopes he'd actually make use of it, but she wondered if he would. Men like Kirk, in her experience, would not seek that sort of help, but rather shoulder the weight of the world on their shoulders. Some would crack under the pressure and some wouldn't.. She had a feeling he was the latter.

"You don't say." She couldn't help the laughter in her voice. Nodding, she took a sip of water and listened. "It would have been honest work, but Starfleet would have missed one hell of a Captain." This was agreed upon and she could see him just at ease in the captain's chair or working construction. Blinking, she gave a smile and nodded. "I am, I was just enjoying the conversation.." This was admitted as her cheeks flushed prettily. Standing she took her tray to dispose of and waited for him to join her before slowly walking back towards her quarters. One lift later she came to a pause outside her room, looking to him. "Would you like a drink before heading out?" This was offered shyly and she stepped into her quarters.

They were simple enough, the living room had a standard couch and a small table before it. On it were an arrangement of candles and a glass like egg filled with water and greenery. Small shrimp could be seen in the seaweed. A painting rested behind the couch, full of life and color. Tessa, by quick glance, favored bold, rich colors. "Make yourself at home." Plants were resting here and there as well as softer touches. It told a story of the woman who had made the place her home. Turning she moved to the replicator and said "Two Kanar Sazerac's please." Two dark amber filled glasses were produced and she handed him one with a smile.

While it was true that McCoy did, in fact, cajole her into dining with him, Kirk would never hold it against her in the least. In fact, he'd had a great time basking in her company, a rarity for him aside from his two usual companions, the senior officers that he was so lucky to serve with. "Maybe one day I'll be able to really properly cook, and practice. Definitely I'd need someone to teach me, or work with me," he mentioned lightly, though he didn't follow up on that stray thought. The consideration that it would be Tessa herself certainly struck him as a proposition he would have been keen to explore, but it was too early for their budding friendship to be so forward. Even Kirk had plenty of reserve and decorum, despite the reputation that seemed to precede him and follow him everywhere he went.

He only hoped that if Tessa was aware of any of that noise, she'd let it flit away from her ears unconcerned.

"
You're right and I didn't think of it that way admittedly," he told her, since she went on to offer an explanation of her reticence for him to speak to the good doctor on her behalf. Kirk appreciated that drive; it spoke well of her type and personality, and was the general sort of person he wanted aboard his ship - one that would go above and beyond to prove themselves. "Nothing to say sorry for at all. And, careful, you'll have me at your place at random hours seeking solace," he chided lightly, laughing, not realizing initially the double meaning layered in the words. When he did, instead of commenting on that further, he let it pass. A slip, perhaps, revelatory of some deeper desires of his, but nothing he'd let linger.

Goodness, her hand in his as well as her breathy tone and the way she lit up when she stated she was enjoying herself all combined to make Kirk feel relaxed, happy, and loose. Many of the crew treated him so formally when he longed for anything but that, yet Tessa today had been nothing like that at all. "
Sometimes working with your hands makes you feel good, raw, primal," he explained, "and thank you - being a Captain suits me just fine. Let's head out then," he smiled at her, removing his own tray and then following her out to her quarters, thoughts stirring in his always fertile mind.

Upon entering and at her question, he grinned broadly.
"If Bones knew you'd offer me a drink before I went back on the bridge, he'd flip," Kirk joked. This wasn't really true; they both knew that all the drinks from the replicators were blended with Synthehol, so the effects wouldn't linger. "Absolutely, I'd love one," he answered, and when she made her order he raised his brows curiously. "You don't mess around, do you Tessa? Plus ten brownie points for this," he mused, taking the proferred glass and looking around. Whenever he got the chance to visit one of his crewmate's quarters, he always took a little bit of time to look around, as all the particular quirks that each individual brought with them aboard endlessly fascinated him.

Being alone with Tessa in her room didn't register as strongly as it could have, but then again, this was merely the first time out. So he walked along the length of her quarters, admiring the candles and what held them, and then stopping in front of the painting with a look of wonder on his features. "
This is amazing. Did you paint this? I love the way you've set this up," he readily offered, spreading his hands out. "You'll have to see mine sometime - nothing much special about it except it's a bit bigger, and I have a conference space for obvious reasons." Did he really just invite her up to his own place? Kirk internally cringed, feeling as if that might have been awkward, but he hoped that Tessa wouldn't take offence. He just wanted to get to know her better, as a Captain normally would.

Right? "
This is a strong Cardassian drink, one of my favorite. You like these, hmm? Noted. Now I know what to order for the next shore leave party," he chuckled, taking a long sip and relishing the bite that it gave him.

Smiling, she let the conversation drift away from the idea of cooking with the Captain. That was part of her problem, she still put him in this place of power above her. Rarely did she think of him as Kirk, just another shipmate. So the idea of cooking with him hadn't struck her as even an imagined invitation, though she did for a moment mourn the loss of getting to try his food. Silly really, Tessa couldn't help but thinking. For a moment she let her mind drift, thinking how lucky some girl would be to try his food, enjoy the experience and knowing it wouldn't be her. They were just starting to become friends and she pushed past the thought. It wouldn't do to linger on such things when she felt like she had a real chance at friendship with him.

She knew of his reputation, but spending time in his company, she found it a little hard to picture. The rumors painted a very different man than the one who was sharing a meal with her and in truth she'd not seen him with many women. Of course he interacted with his crew, but the few times she'd seen him in off hours, he wasn't wining and dining women, it was often just Spock or McCoy dining with him. He was also the last off the bridge and the first back on most days. This was hearsay, but she had no reason to doubt it. So when exactly was the womanizing Captain going to womanize? Snorting mentally she turned back into the conversation and she smiled. "Thank you," she laughed softly and shook her head. "The offer still stands." There was a faint blush though to her pale cheeks. The double meaning hadn't been missed on her, though she was sure she was imagining it.

Though he was her Captain, Tessa found it easy to treat Kirk like any other man. For that is what he was in her eyes and she knew at the top he had to be.. well lonely. Just for friendship.. She knew of his close friendship with Spock and McCoy obviously, but that was the only support he had and while she was sure they were fine friends, it was a bit different than having a softer ear. Something told her that the Vulcan wasn't the place to go for a sympathetic ear, too pragmatic even being half human as he was. It was a good trait for Kirk to have in a friend and she doubted him to be too stiff to not show care or concern if called for, but it likely wouldn't be his first thought. McCoy, kind and patient with her, had a wicked dry humor and again, she doubted he'd turn his friend away, but it wouldn't be his first thought... Though Tessa far from thought herself the solution to the problem, she was happy to extend her hand in friendship. Besides being a place for him to come when the weight of his title got to him, Tessa was thoroughly enjoying his company.

As they walked to her quarters she paused and turned to him, "You know you should still do something with your hands. I'd say in your free time, but something tells me you are a bit of a workaholic." Her voice was light and playful. She was thinking maybe suggesting he take up woodworking. Something that would engage his mind and hands and give him a shadow of the work he was talking about. She didn't however realize how her words might come across as she turned and continued walking.

"Yes, but then you'd have to tell on me." She said as she moved to the replicator she placed her over before looking over her shoulder. "And I don't peg you as a tattletale." Her smile was easy and warm. His drink in hand she watched him explore her small space as she leaned against the small table, sipping her own. "I did, based on some old images of Paris in the fall..." Having never been, she'd only been able to use the photos, though she likely could have made use of the holodeck. She blushed again but smiled over the rim of her glass. "Naturally." She hadn't minded her small quarters, they were quaint and she didn't spend much time within them. She laughed and nodded. "I enjoy the bitterness of it.." Shifting she moved to curl up on the couch, sipping her drink.

Now that he was here it almost felt a little awkward. She wanted to invite him to sit down with her, but she found her mind drifting to places it shouldn't. Chiding herself Tessa tried to push the curiosity out of her mind about what kissing him would be like. They were just friends and she doubted he saw her in that sort of light. No, of course not. She was just a friend and blurring those lines would be foolish and only lead to hurt when the truth she already knew came to hit her in the face. Besides, even if that was an inclination of his... she doubted that their first real meeting would be where he made his move.

"The offer still stands."

That sentence alone made him reflect and consider his companion in a whole new light. Combined with the faint streak of color that appeared on her cheek, it gave the impression that she genuinely wanted to be around him more, in private. Why was that so strange? Possibly because he wasn't the type to be so social with the lower decks, generally. No, there was no stigma there, it was merely that his closest friends that happened to be part of the bridge crew. So he didn't venture out much past that, and it just dawned on Kirk while standing there that he needed to change himself, and work to establish a rapport with everyone on his ship. There were 430 members of his crew here, and he absolutely had to make sure he spent as much time with all of them as possible. Or, like Danvers, it might be lost to time and the vagaries of fate.

Snapping out of those morbid thoughts, he returned to the reality of where he was - Tessa's quarters - and smiled brightly at her, not revealing anything other than his own happiness. The comment regarding his hands made him look at his large palms, and he took in the hidden layer of that statement at face value, as he suspected that Tessa might be playing into his own slips of the tongue. "
I wouldn't mind a lesson in how to use my hands properly, if you want to teach me sometime," he offered casually, though his own voice hinted at much more than merely a bonding session.

But it was only a hint, for now.

Again examining the art she had, he nodded, another sip taken, steadily swishing around his drink amongst the ice cubes and feeling that pleasant burn. "
I went once. You captured the likeness of the city remarkably well," he admitted, as he felt the allure of the painting pulling to him. Automatically, as she'd shifted to sit, he joined her, moving toward the right-hand side of the couch where there was space enough to allow him to plant down. Folding his legs, he flashed her another grin, and his mind began working once more, all sorts of images and ideas popping into his ever-active imagination. She was just too damn appealing not to want to be around more.

He didn't want to leave, not in the least. After the great time he'd had, and with most of the people he worked with strung out on the war and the duties of running the ship, Kirk got a reprieve today, of real time with the woman in front of him - and he liked her a lot. Strange, after so long, to be able to say that internally; after the disaster with Uhura, he wasn't sure he'd ever get those longings again. Kirk had shut himself off, in part, due to the circumstances that he had to face each day. it was easier to stay at a remove. He saw that he'd been wrong, in that regard, and it was thanks to Tessa that he discovered that sense of restlessness in his spirit - the good kind, the kind that longed to branch out.

As comfortable as he was on the couch, sinking into the material lazily, he knew he had to get back onto the bridge soon. It was a miracle Spock hadn't buzzed him, though of course the male was more than capable in the captain's stead. Turning to Tessa, he raised his glass and took a big gulp. "
Cheers. Maybe it was an order but thank you for lunch - I had a great time with you," he said easily, letting her hear the truth in his words. "I don't often get to stretch my legs, literally," he quipped, allowing his stems to lean forward in front of him. Then, reluctantly, he sighed deeply and swirled the remaining contents of the glass around. "I have to go, soon, my ship needs me. But, I will take you up on that offer. How about in a couple days, you pop over around 6, for dinner, and I'll see what I can scrounge up? Just be prepared to go easy on me," he said gently, teasing her a bit. "Worst case, you'll have to help me. But you're a capable woman, you'll manage. What do you say?" Was he really asking her on a...date? Well, yes, actually, come to think of it, and Kirk pondered that he wasn't bothered at all. A date with her would do him nicely. If, that is, she accepted.

I wouldn't mind a lesson in how to use my hands properly, if you want to teach me sometime.

Her cheeks flushed a slightly deeper pink, the dual meaning not lost on her, though Tessa was willing to bet Kirk hadn't meant it as she took it. She gave him the benefit of the doubt due to her station and her looks; plain to her own eyes, she wasn't going to tempt a man like the Captain. Though that hint had been there, unbeknownst to her and it had been far from her misjudging the situation and the burgeoning friendship. It was unknown territory for the young woman in all honesty. While there were many who fancied her, it was hard to get past the defenses of her mind and her own opinion of herself. That deprecating view that talked her out of what they might feel to something more akin to friendship and her misreading the scenario. Not many had been able to push past that barrier.

Her smile was pleased as she looked at the painting with him, her eyes tracing the familiar lines. It always made her smile, but to hear from someone who had been that she'd done it justice? That brought her even greater pleasure. "Thank you," her smile turned to him "I wasn't sure, for pictures alone leave something to be desired at times." Both curled on the couch she sipped her drink slowly. The time was passed in comfortable silence, both sipping their drink until he tipped the contents of his back. She understood, of course. While she was free for the afternoon, he was not. She inclined her head. "It was my pleasure." They both knew she could have refused, but she'd not seen any reason to and while she'd been nervous, she was happy she'd not backed out. Getting to know him had in truth been a delight, as little as she'd learned.

Chuckling, she shook her head. "You should do it more then." Her voice was light and almost playful as she nodded. "Without a doubt." His next words made her cheeks color again, a pleasant little flush to her pale cheeks and she bit her lower lip before nodding. It was a friendly offer. Nothing more. "Um.. Sure. I'd.. Like that" She flashed him a small smile. Taking his glass from him, the empty glass still held the warmth of his fingers. Rising with him, she moved towards the small table, setting the glasses there as she opened the door. "I will see you on Friday, then?"

★━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━★

The next few days passed without too much action. There were no more deaths and only a handful of skirmishes which needed tending to by the good Doctor and herself. There were others that demanded her attention. A child who ate too many sweets. A crewmate who had been trying to impress a girl and hurt himself in the process to name just a few. For the most part she was able to keep her mind off the coming dinner date, though anytime she called it a date in her mind, Tessa scolded herself. In truth, she really did find it hard for anyone to look at her in that sort of way. A mix of obliviousness, scorn for her personal appearance and innocence.

As the time of the dinner drew closer though, Tessa's nerves frazzled. It came to a head as she stood in her quarters in nothing but her underwear, unsure if she should wear her uniform, or if she could wear something more comfortable. Finally she settled on a dress. It was a pale cream and from the front, was almost delicate with the crocheted middle. The back however, was a bit more daring. Her locks were left to fall down her back in soft waves, hiding some of the revealing back and lastly a pair of heels were added, a pop of pale pink color to bring the outfit together. Insides squirming she made her way to his quarters, though she'd had to look them up before leaving her own, just to be sure. As she headed down the corridors, she was oblivious to the looks she got, lost in her own thoughts. Exhaling a shaky breath she pressed the button to alert him of her presence. Fingers twisted uneasily behind her back as she waited, her cheeks flushed a pretty pink.

This was silly. It wasn't a date. It was just dinner between friends. Then why did you dress up? A most unwelcome little voice asked her and she bit her inner cheek. She could turn around and leave. He hadn't opened the door yet... and she could make an excuse of being ill? Yeah.. that was a better idea. Shifting in place she moved to turn as she heard the door slide open, that soft whoosh of air. Holding her breath she paused and turned back to him, a sheepish smile on her face. "Hey.."

"Friday it is. Enjoy your evening, Tessa," he added, as he rose to leave gently. Even the use of the informal name signified that he felt relaxed, as he would have usually addressed a junior officer on their rank.

Once he stepped outside, however, Kirk took a long drawn-out breath that he didn't even know he'd been holding, and looking around the corridor (which was empty), he removed his handkerchief from his pocket and dabbed his forehead gently. The rush of heat was palpable, and he knew why; it had nothing to do with the ventiliation or the cooling system within the girl's room. No, he had a serious attraction to her, one that burgeoned considerably over the time they'd spent in each other's company, which was why he immediately made a play to get her alone again if it could be managed. And Kirk wasn't exactly an expert in women's behavior, despite his avowed reputation, but he suspected that she felt at least somewhat the same.

It was a fine mess that he'd stepped into, and one that he could not reasonably share with McCoy so early, largely because the good doctor would never let it go and rib him mercilessly, even if he was the one who supported them stepping out. You're rushing way ahead of yourself, like with Uhura, his mind told him, and he wanted to quell that thought into silence but it was the literal truth. One step at a time, that was the path, if he wanted to see what would develop here.

Sighing, mind whirring, Kirk made his way to the turbolift and headed straight for the bridge. They were at war, so he had to be vigilant and perform his duties admirably, no matter what. Whatever feelings he had, he couldn't let them distract him. "
Captain on the bridge!" came the call when he stepped out, and Spock bowed very lightly before stepping out of the captain's chair. "You are relieved, Mr. Spock," Kirk said lightly. "I stand relieved, Captain, thank you," Spock noted, quickly heading to his station over near the science schematics. However Kirk detected the faintest phantom of a smile, of all things, playing on the Vulcan's lips. McCoy must have said something. "Wipe that smirk off your face," he jokingly told his second-in-command, and he'd swear for years after that Spock actually laughed at that.

★━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━★

tumblr_pms99rZ6WX1w8hpj6o1_1280.jpg
"
You should do it more then." Those words of hers echoed out to him as Kirk worked quietly and methodically in his kitchen, a few days later. Thankfully, the war hadn't been all that bad over the last few hours, and it seemed to him based on the reports he got from Starfleet Command that the Klingon Empire was rethinking their strategy, odd for them but not in the least unusual given the toll that had already taken place over the course of the war. Lieutenant Ripken had a bit of an incident in which he'd done some of the most foolish stunts imaginable deep in the heart of Klingon territory. When asked later he'd said it was for his girlfriend to notice. Dammit.

But, that was the worst of it for now. That left free to contemplate the fast-approaching...date that he'd made, and in his mind he had little doubt this was how he actually felt in the moment. As if she was the woman that had his heart, and that he had to work to get her to notice not unlike Ripkin had done with his own femme. Unlike Ripken, however, Kirk wasn't nearly so foolish as to risk his life, and that wasn't at all the least bit necessary either. Fundamentally, they were merely coworkers, right? And this was just him being kind, and more indulgent of her time, correct? But, no, Kirk knew in his heart that his emotions didn't lie; she was attractive, intelligent and had such a reserve of personality that a man like him seriously wanted to know what lay beneath.

When she stepped in, and he saw what she'd chosen to wore, he nearly felt floored. "
Hey...you look stunning," he told her, kind eyes traveling all over the way that her dress hugged her gorgeous figure. Kirk had worn his more formal jacket with just a plain shirt beneath, but now he wished he'd put on a suit. Well, that would have been the best choice if this was indeed a date, which they hadn't yet established. It sure felt like it. "Have a seat at the table; I made us pork roast with roasted carrots and potatoes. Nothing like Gladst," he teased, laughing, and his hands automatically went through his hair, ruffling them slightly. For the first time Kirk actually registered butterflies in his stomach. What did this woman do to him? "How have you been? Hopefully Sickbay hasn't been too bad lately, with the lull," he added, bringing the last few dishes to the large table that outlined his quarters. Immediately, as he had done in Ten Forward, Kirk stepped forward and pulled her chair out for her easily, then took a seat on the other side and poured out the red wine - Synthelol, sure, but it seemed proper. Then it was just the two of them, and he began to serve her plate generously while he waited to hear what she had to say, blood pumping strongly in her presence once more.

Her cheeks heated, the blush warming them into a charming pink. Biting her lower lip she gave a nervous laugh. "I don't normally have much of a reason to dress up. I used this as an excuse, I hope you don't mind." This wasn't the truth, she'd dressed up for him, but seeing him in his uniform, she felt out of place. Smoothing her skirt she looked up at him and smiled shyly. They had never said it was a date and Tessa would have been downright floored had he called it a date. Still, she had dressed up for him, wanting to look pretty. The cream dress was pale against her own pale skin. Looking to the table, she moved towards it, her skirt brushing along her thighs as she did. She watched him add the last few touches for the dinner before he pulled her chair out for her. "Thank you." Taking her seat, she tucked her ankles to one side, crossing them. "It looks amazing, Sir." She didn't know if she should call him Kirk.. it would have been nice to say his name, but his uniform was throwing her a bit.

Toying with the stem of her wineglass while he served her she laughed softly. "Ripkin was the worst of them. He was a bit... spotty on the details, but I can imagine what he was trying to do. He was trying to impress Lieutenant Cassidy." She smiled again, her face softening. "As I left her to tend to his superficial wounds, I'd have to say while beyond foolish, it seems to have worked." Once he'd served her she inclined her head. "Thank you, it really does look amazing." Lifting her wine she took a sip before setting the glass down. "And a tummy ache for the lass, Jemma. She seems to have figured out the replicators and decided to gorge herself on candy." Her eyes danced as she cut herself a piece of pork. She sniffed it, not because she doubted him, but to smell the seasoning on it. After a moment she ate it and made a soft, pleased sound. "It tastes as good as it smells." She beamed at him. Shifting in her seat she played with her fork for a moment. "How have you been?"

The question was innocent, but she didn't think pestering him about the war would be a good dinner conversation. As she waited for him to answer, she ate the potatoes and carrots, a few a time. She was shocked he had doubted he'd be able to cook, with how good this was. The room also smelled of his efforts, a warm, cozy scent. Her eyes slid from his face to his walls for a moment, inspecting his space, before looking back to him. "You made it sound like you didn't know how to cook, you know." Her voice was light, playful as she took another bite of the pork. Sucking lightly on the tines of her fork she tilted her head. "That clearly isn't the case." Teasing him, watching him smile at her or the way he'd looked at her when he'd first saw her? It made her stomach twist in the most pleasant of ways.

Here, alone in his quarters, she could pretend she was on a date. A silly dream, but one that she found pleasing as they talked and ate. The company, the food and wine all adding into the fantasy. It was a dangerous one. One that would likely leave her heartbroken, but one she couldn’t seem to stop herself from having.

Did he mind? No one in their right mind would have, and Kirk had to resist openly staring, such was the striking figure that his companion made. Moreover, he realized he was the one out of place; in trying to be more formalized with his outfit, he'd created unnecessary tension where it wasn't needed at all. "That outfit is fantastic. I'm the one overdressed, definitely. Sorry about that," he noted smoothly, scooping off the jacket. Then he moved rapidly to drape it around his desk chair rather than near the dinner table. With that taken problem instantly taken care of, Kirk immediately felt much more relaxed, and that was evident in his reply to her compliments on the meal. "Oh please, call me Kirk, or Jim while we're here; all my friends do," he smiled broadly, as if to indicate that he considered her one in such short order.

Even if neither of them said the dreaded d-word, that was exactly what this was and for his part Kirk couldn't have been happier. He'd lucked out with the loveliest woman on the whole ship.

Falling into the lilting discussion of how the week had gone wasn't all that difficult; given her position, she had a front row seat to the worst of it, and also at times the best. Kirk himself privately wondered at many of the decisions Starfleet had made recently and confessed to Spock and McCoy in private that the Klingons could easily gain ground with the Alpha Sector with two good tactical strikes. As yet, that hadn't happened thankfully. So he listened, amused, at Ripkin's enterprising attempts to woo Cassidy, which if he recalled the man had been working toward for quite some time.
"Good for him. The man needs some relief, we all do," he murmured, "And Jemma's sweeth tooth gets the worst of her at times. I have to admit a fondness for chocolate myself." Regarding her opinions on his cooking, he demurred modestly, and it wasn't an act. "Really, it was nothing; just following directions. Even someone like me can't mess it up," he joked, laughing while a sip of his drink followed, and then he dug in a bit before moving on to the next question she'd posed, the one he somewhat dreaded answering.

Kirk's irises shifted blankly, as if he was looking through her for a second, but after their conversation in Ten Forward, he firmly believed that telling her his honest feelings served them both better, and especially if he wanted this relationship to develop - which he hoped more and more was a real possibility. So, finally, after a long bite and digesting the flavorful pork and potatoes, he pointed his fork out the window view while focusing on her.
"I'm...not great. It's been a nightmare. We're winning but this could easily turn...and then what? They've been our allies for years, the Klingons. For them to throw it all away is a terrible look for the Federation for every planet, and a big blow to our reputation. So we've got to make the absolute best of it. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't a lot of pressure but well, this is the best ship we've got so onward we go," he finished, relaxing somewhat as he allowed his worst fears and suspicions out.

Honestly, despite the heaviness of the subject, Kirk had to admit he was enjoying himself way too much. Tessa was easy to talk to, about anything, and he wished he could spend more time in her company, but there was a part of him that remained scared to push forward. Instead of letting it settle though, he broached the subject himself, raising his glass once more, though this toast was a far cry from the one he'd offered previously in her company.
"To the Enterprise and her crew. I have to say, Tessa, thank you for coming. I...like this very much. It's been hard for me sometimes. I had a thing with..." he was about to say Uhura but realizing that would be a mistake, instead went on, "...one of the bridge crew, but it ended poorly. My fault, not hers. Since then I guess I've been overly cautious. But you seem to bring out the best in me. I just appreciate it," he ended quietly, and took an awkward sip afterwards, feeling that perhaps he'd still said too much.

That was much better than never having spoken at all, however, so Kirk felt his heartbeat pick up the pace while he tried to guess and hope at what Tessa might say back to him.

She blushed as he said her outfit was fantastic and she shook her head as he said he was the one who was overdressed. He was handsome in his uniform, she wanted to say that, but the words caught in her throat. She watched as he removed his jacket and draped it over his desk chair before joining her once more. She smiled at him and when he asked her to call him by his name she blushed and looked down for a moment. "Alright, Kirk." A friend? That made her insides glow warmly. The idea of being his friend was a nice surprise, but a welcome one. It made the dinner between them evolve into something else. They were both thinking it, though he was sure of it and she was almost positive she was imagining it. It was a lovely fantasy though and it helped her relax.

They talked, the conversation flowing between them as they spoke of her charges in the med bay. "It is nice to see them together. They seem to light up when they look at each other," her mused softly, her fingers toying with the stem of her wine glass. "It is nice to see people finding one another, more so in these hard times." Her words echoed his own. Chuckling, she lifted a brow. "Is that so? I will have to remember that." It wasn't the first time she'd taken care of Jemma, the girl was sweet, if not precocious. "I don't know, this is pretty impressive." The words were followed by her spearing another carrot on her fork and taking a bite, chewing with relish. "I am not sure I could have cooked this." This was more than a compliment, she really did doubt her ability to cook something like this. She'd only grown up with replicators.

She watched him stare through her for a moment, his eyes distant. Her hand reached out, taking his within her own. She listened to him speak, telling her about what troubled him. Tessa squeezed his hand gently and listened in silence for a moment. "You carry the weight of the world on your shoulders, Atlas." Her voice was soft, "Others have cracked under that weight, Jim. I am not sure I could handle it. If.. I may ask, why did they decide to start this war?" In truth, Tessa wanted nothing more than to share this burden with him. She would never be as strong as he was, but to just help take some of the weight off his shoulders? Perhaps it was presumptuous to think he'd want her help.. but she couldn't help but want to.. She'd also never share a word of what he said to her with another. "Things have been a bit calmer, are you thinking it is the calm before the storm?" Her hand still held his, her thumb brushing against the back of his palm.

She raised her glass with him, though her lips parted slightly as he spoke. Her eyes widened slightly and she took a sip of her wine before setting it down. Her teeth caught her lower lip as she looked to the window, worrying it. A thing wasn't friendship. It made her stomach swirl with butterflies. "Jim?" His name was soft and her eyes moved away from the window, to his own. "What is this?" She motioned between them, her cheeks hot. She needed him to say it. Without him saying it, she wouldn't be able to believe it. She shook her head suddenly and laughed. "I mean, you couldn't.." her words fell silent for a moment "I am not.. your type." She said this as if almost trying to convince herself and him. She was babbling, her cheeks heating brightly. "You're you and I am.. me.."

Well, if he had thought that it might be easier after letting the words sorta slip out, instead it only caused visible confusion. Great. Kirk would have to work to untangle that, assuredly, and explain himself much better.

Before all of that, however, he was having the time of his life. WIth the jacket off, only the form-fitting black t-shirts that were form fitted and hugged his skin served as his top, though he still wore the formal paints. At least her acceptance of him as a friend made him feel much better, as was the first issuance of his very name from the girl's lips. Damn. Even a haggard soldier like Kirk felt that wave of approval, and a warmth flood him. They made tremendous progress in those brief seconds, but it was enough to carry through to the remainder of the conversation, and Kirk even refilled both of their beverages as the food slowly disappeared in both sets of bellies.

Her observations regarding the pair of erstwhile lovers amused him, only because it illustrated Tessa's introspective nature. She had a sharp mind and it always seemed to be working; to her, something which Ripkin himself might have found hard to admit seemed like the easiest task in the world because the two people fit together within her head.
"I agree," Kirk replied, sipping only lightly from his drink, as he already felt nearly full and some of his veggies hadn't been touched yet. "You never know when you'll find a pair well-suited." It wasn't Ripkin that he was thinking of when he spoke. On his chocolate addiction, he had to laugh at the way she noted it down. "Are you going to ply with me with sugary treats when I least expect it then? Careful, you might make me loopy," he teased her gregariously, the chuckles even louder before they died off.

Tessa's hands wrapped around his own felt warm, and he wanted to keep her there as long as he possibly could, just like that. It was perfect, her ability to empathize and offer a much needed ear to lend his concerns toward. Leaning in, he whispered, although there was no need for it; old habits died hard.
"I'm hardly Atlas, but yes, the weight is indeed heavy," he sighed, finishing off the remnants of his second drink. Then he answered her succinctly. "About a month ago, the Klingon homeworld of Qo'nos was attacked by a renegade group of former Starfleet officers. They called themselves the Maquis," he revealed, though anything beyond that was classified. "One of the leaders of the Maquis is Christopher Pike, by the way, a very decorated Captain and former head of this very ship," Kirk went on. "Pike made a big show of selling the Klingons that it was the Federation responsible, with reams of data to support his theories, and with his personaly charisma, ingenuity and carefully mapped-out traps, they believed him. Hence, even with full assurances from top Federation brass to the Klingon High Council that we're innocent, the Klingons are out for blood. And that's the gist of it," he finished, almost tired after having said so much.

Kirk didn't begrudge Pike; he'd met the man once and liked him a lot. Pike shared the same sort of morality and ethics that Kirk did, or so he thought; hence why he was so easy for the other to get along with. More than likely there was a lot more to the entire war than anyone save the Maquis had realized, but they'd achieved their goal of disrupting the Federation and now he had to suffer, along with the rest of his crew and the fleet itself.
"Yeah, it's the calm...but the storm is coming and it will hit hard," he answered almost presciently.

DistantWideeyedHypacrosaurus-size_restricted.gif
It was only then that he withdrew his hand away from her own and as she stammered at what he'd expressed, finding it difficult to form words, Kirk looked directly at her, eyes alight.
"I don't know what this is, Tessa, I'll be blunt. But, to me, it's been a lovely date so far." He said it, and went on saying more. "And...yeah, I am strongly attracted to you. I'm sorry, I know, I'm your senior officer and it's terrible to say. But you're gorgeous, your personality is really lovely and most of all you seem to care a lot - about the ship and about me personally. I've noticed," he added, averting his orbs away from her. "Maybe you think you're not my type but...I'd like to keep seeing you, and have the chance to find out for sure. Isn't that what you truly want as well?" Kirk only fervently prayed that he wasn't wrong, or he'd be caught flat-footed and completely embarassed, unable to face her afterwards. Yet he never did anything by half. So he flashed her a bright smile and counted the seconds until she revealed his very fate, held tightly in her smaller palms.

Talking with him was far easier than she had expected at first, but then again, their first dinner had demolished that notion easily enough. Tessa however, had been nervous about this dinner. The ambiguity of it and her own silly mind. The thought that it was folly, that they could be something more than friends was constantly on her mind. Tessa had it bad. It would hurt her in the end, she was quite sure of it and yet, pulling away from Jim was something she wasn't sure she could do. So she'd willingly walked into the fire. Burning wouldn't be so bad, would it? Her smile was warm as he said some people just fit. He had her pegged as Tessa was still thinking of the lovers. "Love makes us do silly things, at least this time it has a happy ending." For it could have been much worse. Her laugh was surprised as he accused of her planning to ply him with chocolate. "And have an angry Vulcan and Chief Medical Officer breathing down my back?" Her eyes danced as she giggled again. "I am not sure I am that brave.."

Her nose wrinkled playfully as he said he was no Atlas. It was an attempt to lighten the mood, even if for a minute as she listened to him. Her hand tightened on his marginally as he told her how this all had started. As the name Pike came up, she lifted her brows in surprise, though she said nothing. She too knew the name. It was much like his own. A legend in his own way. As he told her of Pike, she nodded slightly, her thumb brushing over the back of his hand unconsciously, offering comfort. Her brows drew together and Tessa wanted to question him. She didn't though, sure that he more than likely couldn't answer them and she didn't want to put him in that position. "When it does, we will weather it." She reassured him, knowing he knew it. There would be casualties, a loss of life that would weigh on them all.. But they'd come through this.

The conversation had shifted and left her feeling flustered and unsure. His hand had been removed from her own, and her hands vanished beneath the table, twisting in her lap uneasily. Date. Her cheeks heated and she looked down. It had been a date? But, he'd not called it one when he'd asked her. Yes, she'd dressed up, wanting to pretend, even if for the night, that it was a date. But to hear him call it by that word? It made her heart race. Her eyes rose to meet his and she shook her head, lips parted still in that soft shock. Her mouth closed, opened and closed again as she stared into his eyes. Her eyes, those beautiful eyes searched his face. After a moment she nodded, her cheeks bright pink. "I.. I would like that, Jim." Her smile was shy and she looked down. "As to feeling pressure of any kind because of your rank, you can rest assured, I don't." She peeked up at him, her smile growing.

"Least now I don't feel so silly for dressing up," She confided with a breathy laugh as she picked up her glass of wine, taking a sip. This wasn't a dream and she'd not been a foolish girl. That seemed foreign, but in the best of ways. She slipped her hand back onto the table, her palm up. A simple request for his hand. While this was entirely new for her, Tessa couldn't help but be excited for what would come next between them. Biting her lower lip she gave him a slightly goofy grin, "Do you really think I am gorgeous?" Another thought hit her and Tessa tilted her head to one side. “Do we need to tell anyone? Because you are my captain?”

A weight that he didn't even know he'd been carrying seemed to lift immediately upon her words, her acceptance of what he offered so unexpectedly. It hadn't been spur-of-the-moment, from his perspective; he felt strongly attracted to Tessa from that encounter in Sickbay straight on through their lunch together and then all the way over to here, the pair of them alone in his quarters and having navigated away from all the pratfalls. A part of him of felt that they had moved quickly and then the other part seemed raring to go, frustrated at being held back. So perhaps it was the right time exactly to profess his feelings for her? She hadn't run, no, and instead even the touchy subject of his position with regard to her own had no bearing on her feelings. She wanted to spend time with him as much as he did with her and that was all that mattered to both of them in the end. Kirk couldn't have been happier and resisted the urge to leap for joy as soon as those sentences left her lips.

Immediately, seeing her palm wriggle forward, he seized it like it was a prized possession and caressed her gently with his fingers, stroking, so happy and thrilled despite not showing it too evidently. Everything with Uhura had been a mistake, he saw that now, and with her and Spock together he had little qualms about the way things had progressed. It was best for the two lovers, what they really deserved in each other, and he did truly wish them well. Tessa was different, far more empathic then even the communications officer had been and keenly in tune with Kirk's feelings, which he sorely needed. They fit each other like a glove, and he wanted to explore how their relationship would blossom now that they planned to make the effort together. But her questions stopped him short.

"First of all, you are brave; doing what you do takes courage that few possess," he said kindly. "Second, you don't know how glad I am to hear you say that," he admitted, gripping her even tighter in response to his own statement. "Third, in that outfit and with your figure, you're absolutely stunning," he added, a slight huskiness to his tone as the answer dripped with a latent desire. "And fourth - no, I don't think so. There are no rules against it, and therefore there's no reason to inform anyone. I...don't want to make it anyone's business but our own, you know? Sorry if that's not what you feel," he added quickly, unsure on that point. Yet to Kirk, the more people who knew, the more risk that there would be consequences as a result. The very last thing he wanted was for her to get injured as a way of hurting him. He couldn't bear it, and he wasn't sure she even realized those possibilities.

Hopefully, she'd understand why he was hesitant on that point and not take offense.

Without any reservations any longer, Kirk felt almost giddy; it was almost like he didn't know what he should do first with her. They had time this evening, as far as he knew; granted, he hadn't looked at her schedule but his own had been cleared. While it was true that he'd have to leave if an emergency popped up, aside from that he was free. Kirk's two longest fingers dragged across Tessa's hands, and he smiled at her lightly.
"I think we should be careful about revealing the truth to others but...between us, I can't imagine many limits," he said succinctly, trying to think. Looking at the nearly empty plates, both of them appeared to be done with dinner, but he didn't dare move the dishes yet; he would momentarily. For the moment Kirk was content to sit there and simply feel her a few seconds longer if he could. "What's next? You'll have to guide me," he joked sheepishly, the grin on his face unable to fade. Already, he felt so much better about asking her over, and the result turned out to be unable to quibble with.

The warmth of his hand was welcome on her own and she smiled as his fingers caressed her skin, the soft brush thrilling. Tessa wasn't a virgin, but in truth? She wasn't far off. Her number of boyfriends could be counted on one hand.. Shifting her hand she linked her fingers with his, tangling them together. She shook her head slightly, though her smile didn't leave her lips. "Maybe. I have the courage to look at someone hurt and try to fix them, but to be out on the front lines, risking it all? I don't think I would have the courage for that." While the view point perhaps sounded negative, she wasn't talking down about herself, it was a solid evaluation of her abilities. There were all types of bravery after all. She laughed, her cheeks burning as she tipped her head to the side. "I was excited to hear you call this a date," if he was going to be honest with her, Tessa felt the least she could do was return the favor.

Her smile grew and Tessa looked down. She had after all dressed up for Kirk and to have him notice well, it pleased her. The tone his voice had taken as well thrilled her, that husky tone that made her look back into his eyes shyly. He continued and she bit her lip before nodding. It made sense. He wasn't directly in charge of her, though ultimately her commander, there was at least on barrier between he an her when it came to her performance. She agreed with him, though Tessa didn't plan to hide either. "I don't want to hide, but I don't feel like we need to go around telling people either." As to the risk it would pose to her, it wasn't something Tessa had even considered, though.. she wouldn't have known to worry over it either. When it came to the them of the matter, she'd only seen him and wanted to be with him. His job wasn't the appeal. The man was. So the sticky issues that could come because of his job where unknown.

She tipped her head to one side and she couldn't help but ask.. "Why, if you don't mind?" Tessa wasn't as foolish to expect he'd be embarrassed of her or any such thing. It didn't fit with his personality. She thought about it for a moment and then her lips parted, that unknown surfacing. "You're.. worried about the war, aren't you?" It hadn't taken her long to suss out the reason for the concern. It didn't change her feelings, but her question changed. "How likely do you think it would be that I was targeted?" Tess honestly didn't think anyone would go after her, but she knew on some level that was naïve. Jim wasn't some random officer, he was Jim Tiberius Kirk, Captain of Starfleet's flagship. Her hand tightened on his and she offered a nod. "We can be careful.." She offered softly. Those beautiful eyes holding his own. "You'd know better than I, " Laughing, she rose to her feet, hand still in his. "Lets clean up first.. then we can decide." Reluctantly she let his hand go as she picked up her plate and then his. Her nose wrinkled. "I want to chastise you for not eating all of your vegetables, captain.. But I think it is cute that you didn't eat as many of them at the same time."

Shaking her head she carried their plates to the replicator, setting them in one at a time. Turning to look over her shoulder she flashed him an easy smile and motioned for the pan. "Once we finish, I think we should visit the holodeck. I have an idea." her eyes danced playfully as she came back for the other dishes, once the mess was fully cooked she held her hand out to him again. "Can we at least hold hands on the way to the deck?" There was a shyness to her voice, it was clear she'd enjoyed holding his hand and was loath to give up that feeling so easily. "I'd understand if not though," the offer was made quickly and she smiled again.

Perhaps he didn't know that he had felt any tension, but with her hand in his own, he felt all that anxiety evaporate. It wasn't easy for someone in his position as the Captain of the ship to engage with any officer - though he had far too many times to count. Still, because of those experiences Kirk had grown more cautious and wary, especially since Uhura had taught him much within his empty and ultimately fruitless pursuit of her. Kirk felt so much more comfortable and at ease with Tessa. Whether that was the result of her profession or merely her manner and her attittude towards him, he didn't know, but he absolutely adored it and had no reason to anticipate that the feeling would change. "We all have our own kind of courage. For example, saying this was a date to me out loud definitely wasn't easy," he joked lightly, enjoying their warmth together.

Her quick agreement to his suggestion went over well, because he didn't want to have to explain it at every turn going forward, especially during war. Glancing towards her more sharply when she asked about it, he said as much.
"It's a definite possibility, and I don't want to put you in that position. But I don't necessarily want to hide either, so one step at a time," he added succintly, to clarify it for both of them. Kirk had no qualms about making his affections known if it came down to it, but he also had no plans to advertise either. Immediately, he sprang up on her suggestion and nodded, moving the few plates she didn't grab up to the replicator with the rest of them for cleaning as the conversation continued. "I did my best; it was a heavy roast, okay? Can't have me getting chubby under your watch," he teased her, chuckling.

Helping her render everything up and back to his usual neat array, Kirk easily grasped Tessa's hand warmly and flashed her a bright smile.
"I'd be honored," he replied gallantly to her question, as pleased as she seemed to be able to keep contact. Kirk had no idea was Tessa's prior experiences were but he had a feeling that even if she wasn't all that experienced, she'd surprise him. That was evident from her plan which made his eyebrows spark up. "Oh really? Well I have to see this for myself. I'll lead you," he said calmly, feeling the pride of having a woman to call his own again. Well, it was early, and there was plenty of time to explore more. But Kirk felt so much more light and free, basking in her presence. Perhaps someone would see them on the way to the holodeck, perhaps not; he really didn't care. With that thought firmly in mind, they walked out together.

Thankfully, the walk to Holodeck 1 from his quarters was short; they only managed to run into Lieutenant Peters on the way. Despite the slight grin that formed on the junior officer's lips, Kirk didn't get much more than a nod out of him. He wasn't worred, however; Peters wasn't the type to gossip and tended to keep his thoughts to himself. So they made it to the holodeck and, finding it blissfully empty, Kirk opened the door and had it close shut behind them, before he pointed to the controls and finally (reluctantly) let go of the younger woman's fingers, allowing her to program in whatever she wished.
"All yours. I do like surprises," he mused, very curious indeed as to what she had in mind. Kirk had all the time in the world; he'd blocked out enough for the dinner and unless he was paged, he was in Tessa's capable hands.

There was no better place to be.
"Let's see what you got," he told her, the smile never leaving his radiant features.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom