Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Starfinder groups?

Murdergurl

Incorrigible Butt-Slut
Okay, so I'm not really into Dice games. But I thought I'd give it a try again after years of being turned off by D&D stats and mechanics.
I bought myself some Starfinder manuals and would totally be down to try and join a group game if someone was thinking of hosting it.
I'm not entirely read through on all the character creation stuff yet. But I will get right on top of it if someone is running a setting I can get in on.

Oh, and I'm totally willing to do this off-site as well. Like on Discord or whatever

I can't GM this. So please no one suggest it. It's not even a matter of time and patience. It's a matter of not having enough experience in these kinds of games to rightly attempt such an endeavor.

Last edited:

K-Fox

Horny for fantasy and/or sci-fi
Hm... a very strong maybe but I have GMed my own homebrew Starfinder game for some 2 years now. I'll admit I'm not overly attatched to following every single rule if it slows down or interrupts the flow of the game, also not very familier with the magic system since my setting by default has a lot of restrictions on magic. But set in an alternate version of my world- maybe I'd be willing to do it with some peeps here?

My experience with Starfinder so far is completely PG-13 you could say, so how much smut/sex would be preferred?

Bacchanal

Planetoid
Never played Starfinder or Pathfinder, I'm a DnD 3.5 grognard. But reading through this Starfinder manual, seems it solves a lot of my major gripes with Pathfinder. I've DM'd plenty in 3.5, so I'm familiar with d20 here so I could probably run a Starfinder game. Still reading through things here of course.

I've run adult games for d20 as well. So I'd mirror the question of K-Fox on the smut content. I'd also want to ask about setting, whether you'd want the base Starfinder setting or more just the ruleset and theme of a science fantasy space opera sort of thing.

K-Fox

Also more than willing to be a player in such a game, if Bacchanal or someone else ends up running it. I've GM'ed and played for about 6 years in total for mostly Pathfinder, Starfinder had just been my most recent forray to accomodate my sci-fi setting- though I lack experience with anything ERP related as previously mentioned, serious themes do appear in my content so I meant PG-13 more just in relation to sexual content. (Just to be clear to avoid confusion- I absolutely would LOVE to try my hand at running or playing in a very raunchy/sex-involved game if that is the preference.)

But yes in general a bit more info on preferrences is needed 🙏

Last edited:

Bacchanal

Planetoid
Yeah preferences and the like very important for this sort of thing. Gming anything that is more roleplaying and story focused takes a lot of prep time if you want it consistent. So finding out what people want in tone, flavor, content, smut, etc pretty important to figure out if we'd be interested in trying to put something together or not. Plus limits for all those things as well.

OP
OP
Murdergurl

Murdergurl

Incorrigible Butt-Slut
Hm... a very strong maybe but I have GMed my own homebrew Starfinder game for some 2 years now. I'll admit I'm not overly attatched to following every single rule if it slows down or interrupts the flow of the game, also not very familier with the magic system since my setting by default has a lot of restrictions on magic. But set in an alternate version of my world- maybe I'd be willing to do it with some peeps here?

My experience with Starfinder so far is completely PG-13 you could say, so how much smut/sex would be preferred?
I mean, I'm not looking for having constant orgies or anything. Mostly I just want it to be open to a lot of adult things and risqué character stuff. If someone wants to whip their dick out and slap the Ysoki across the bar with it, go ahead. In other words, just not barring the PCs from adult content in case people want to "go there". But I definitely want it to be about character narrative and violent adventure. Otherwise, what does the setting even matter?

Never played Starfinder or Pathfinder, I'm a DnD 3.5 grognard. But reading through this Starfinder manual, seems it solves a lot of my major gripes with Pathfinder. I've DM'd plenty in 3.5, so I'm familiar with d20 here so I could probably run a Starfinder game. Still reading through things here of course.

I've run adult games for d20 as well. So I'd mirror the question of K-Fox on the smut content. I'd also want to ask about setting, whether you'd want the base Starfinder setting or more just the ruleset and theme of a science fantasy space opera sort of thing.
Well, if I'm being completely honest, I actually don't like the inclusion of Magic and Gods in the Starfinder setting. What I really care about is the sci-fi space opera setting. I'm not hung up on the stats and dice stuff. I actually prefer freeform RP. But it seems like system stuff is the only way I'm ever gonna join a group in this kind of general theme (especially in an adult forum). The freeform groups here are super dead, and on other sites, the entire place is in slug mode. So yeah, it doesn't have to be specifically the Starfinder universe. And like I said, the mechanics and stats and all that are just something I'm tolerating to be able to RP in the setting I want. Which I'd just like to reiterate that I'm still not exactly clear on how all that works, and this would be literally my first time using the system.

Tenshi

Supernova
*Bounces* May I play?

Starfinder that is!

I'd offer to run but my GMing docket is really full right now.

I'm very flexible on smut levels so long as there's a full story involved.

Mudergurl, magic is pretty deeply integrated into the Starfinder setting and mechanics. I hope you can play with them. If you wanted to try something else with a pretty straightforeards system, i would suggest Star Wars: Saga Edition.

That's pretty space opera with a lot less magic. You could even make your own setting without the Force.

But yes, if someone runs Starfinder could I please play? Would you like to see some of my favorite concepts?

OP
OP
Murdergurl

Murdergurl

Incorrigible Butt-Slut
*Bounces* May I play?

Starfinder that is!

I'd offer to run but my GMing docket is really full right now.

I'm very flexible on smut levels so long as there's a full story involved.

Mudergurl, magic is pretty deeply integrated into the Starfinder setting and mechanics. I hope you can play with them. If you wanted to try something else with a pretty straightforeards system, i would suggest Star Wars: Saga Edition.

That's pretty space opera with a lot less magic. You could even make your own setting without the Force.

But yes, if someone runs Starfinder could I please play? Would you like to see some of my favorite concepts?
I do have a Star Wars OC... I wonder how she'd covert over to whatver system this uses? I'm completely ignorant about this RPG. But yeah, I'd need two things to happen for me to want in on a Star Wars group RP.

1) not include the Jedi and Sith (or Force stuff in general)
2) Old Republic setting

If not with those two things in mind, I'd not be all that interested in the setting. And realistically, I don't expect star wars fans to be attracted to a Star Wars setting without the force

Bacchanal

Planetoid
Yeah d20 based systems as a whole tend to have a lot of magic ingrained into them. If you're just looking for something without necessarily having magic or supernatural elements but also rules light, a D6/D66 system would be more your style. The Maid RPG for example, and it can easily be hosted in a space setting and even has some base generation rules for that.

But yeah, even system games are pretty dead as far as group games go. And they'll be like that in any forum/community/etc where there is a large propensity for ghosting and lack of activity. GMs don't want to put together ideas and do the work to come up with a story and adventure when most people are just gonna randomly drop on them within a week. Even with a freeform game because they still had to come up with a concept and make it appealing for multiple people. 1x1 rps require far less dedication, time, and the like to figure out how to put together.

OP
OP
Murdergurl

Murdergurl

Incorrigible Butt-Slut
Yeah d20 based systems as a whole tend to have a lot of magic ingrained into them. If you're just looking for something without necessarily having magic or supernatural elements but also rules light, a D6/D66 system would be more your style. The Maid RPG for example, and it can easily be hosted in a space setting and even has some base generation rules for that.
Um... okay. But would I even be able to find someone willing to do that one? I've never even heard of it.

But yeah, even system games are pretty dead as far as group games go. And they'll be like that in any forum/community/etc where there is a large propensity for ghosting and lack of activity. GMs don't want to put together ideas and do the work to come up with a story and adventure when most people are just gonna randomly drop on them within a week. Even with a freeform game because they still had to come up with a concept and make it appealing for multiple people. 1x1 rps require far less dedication, time, and the like to figure out how to put together.
Oh, trust me I know. Not in system form, but I stopped hosting freeform groups a long time ago for that very reason. too much effort on my end to just have participants falter and waste my time. So I stopped trying to run groups. That and, I just don't have the time for it anymore. Between my kiddo and work, I can squeeze in some participatory time. But I most definitely do not have the availability to run something. but the truth of the matter is that I enjoy Group RP way, WAY more than I do 1x1s. In fact, I would go as far as to say that group RP is what I actually look for, and 1x1s are what I settle for in the meantime.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Murdergurl

Murdergurl

Incorrigible Butt-Slut
Without magic, gods, the Force, and a system, maybe we would be better off with Star Trek or Babilon 5? Or even something with Stargate, possibly with Aliens (Predators)...
Star Trek is hella stiff. Not my bag, and to be on a ship you basically have to be part of the Fed or miliary group or some such thing. I wasn't looking ot make such a rank and file type of character. I'm not at all familiar with Babylon 5, so I have nothing to say about it one way or the other. I tried watching the first episode once... and omg was it bad. like the acting was so... cringey.
Alien/Predator isn't diverse enough with various species and planets and such. What if I don't want to be a xeno or human or Yautja? I'm looking for something with a whole lot of races and settings to pick from. A little more "Wild west" but in space, ya know?

The setting doesn't have to be derived from a fandom, btw. I'm totally fine with a generic version of what I had mentioned. Just starships, FTL, a plethora of alien species and worlds, blaster fights, space battles, smugglers, pirates, etc.

Last edited:

K-Fox

I don't want to imply that I have the answers to everything, but with a couple of small homebrew tweaks and class restrictions, I have run my personal Starfinder game pretty well without magic and it seems to function alright.
Plenty of room for space battles, pirates, galavanting around the sector, starships, different alien races, FTL warp travel, etc.

Granted, it'd be an alternate (and possibly somewhat edited) version of my universe so as to make it better suited for this kind of game and not mix it completely with my home game, but anyway-

If we're going really freeform, It might be actually advantageous AND easier for the GM to improvise a lot along the way, and not feel the need to plot out a huge over-arching story, instead focusing only on the characters.

(Sorry I should wrap up this thought soon, lol) In any case if we're still doing starfinder but we don't want to tie it to my setting, I could simply share some of the homebrew adjustments I've made if that works. Just throwing out my two cents 😅

nlln

Meteorite
I think dropping plot for simpler more freeform stories is the way to go. It tends to be easier to run in this kind of context. And in the inevitability that the GM burns out, someone else can take over without needing a large transfer of campaign notes.
If this is the style we want to go for I might be willing to GM on occasion.
It'd probably be no more than a session's worth of stuff a month, since I don't really have capacity for more at the moment. Just short stories while shopping or travelling.

OP
OP
Murdergurl

Murdergurl

Incorrigible Butt-Slut
I think dropping plot for simpler more freeform stories is the way to go. It tends to be easier to run in this kind of context. And in the inevitability that the GM burns out, someone else can take over without needing a large transfer of campaign notes.
If this is the style we want to go for I might be willing to GM on occasion.
It'd probably be no more than a session's worth of stuff a month, since I don't really have capacity for more at the moment. Just short stories while shopping or travelling.
I actually like that idea. advocating small episodes in lieu of a long-winded storyline

OP
OP
Murdergurl

Murdergurl

Incorrigible Butt-Slut
So like.... I don't actually know what's going on here anymore. I've had suggestions for trying out a different system more geared to non-magic and simplicity in mechanics. And I'm totally down to look into that. Buuuut... I still can't/don't wanna GM. So, that's kinda more up to whoever winds up running the RP. I'm still very much in limbo for finding this elusive space opera setting. I feel like my capacity to get into this kind of group dynamic is at the mercy of everyone else because I'm very inexperienced in these kinds of RPs.

K-Fox

Perhaps in that case our next course of action would be to confirm what system we are using and then choose who is going to be the GM and where/how we're running the roleplay?

My personal votes are for (slightly modified) Starfinder with not too much focus on game mechanics, and Bacchanal as the GM.

Top Bottom