Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Anyone just want to have a SFW conversation about writing F/D romance?

I want to have a SFW conversation about F/D romance even if I don't have the space to start a roleplay at the moment. Would anyone be up to simply discuss what we enjoy about it, what are the challenges of writing an unorthodox relationship like this, and our favorite SFW scenes of F/D that we've come across?

I'll start - I enjoy the trust that built up between them on a platonic fashion, and I also like that he also has a special relationship with her based on supporting each other during some of the most important parts of their lives. I also like the playing with the power dynamics - her trying to one-up him and come out on top at times or them teasing each other. But at the end of they day, they love each other on the deepest levels, even if they don't admit it or don't even realize it.

The challenges of writing F/D relationships is finding resources to connect with other individuals with similar interests on a platonic, SFW context. Usually once I mention F/D, it's either not accepted in the forum space or only accepted in explicit terms, which can feel really isolating. I started RP to connect with others over this similar interest so if it defeats the purpose if it only makes me feel more alone.

My favorite SFW scenes include one where he was telling her why he can't return her feelings and she cries her eyes out. Then the doorbell rings and she says that's her classmate. She tidies her hair and makeup well enough to look put together, then leaves to go get changed. When she's heading out the door, he spots that she's wearing a dress she bought while she was shopping yesterday and is sourly wondering whether she was serious about actually liking him. That got a chuckle out of me.

I'll bite. I'll admit this is not a dynamic I've wanted to delve into as much since I actually *became* a father, but I do have experiences. I appreciate the playful moments you can have between scenes. The long history of made up experiences you can reminisce about together and it be entirely innocent until someone is in the mood.

I'll bite. I'll admit this is not a dynamic I've wanted to delve into as much since I actually *became* a father, but I do have experiences. I appreciate the playful moments you can have between scenes. The long history of made up experiences you can reminisce about together and it be entirely innocent until someone is in the mood.
Thanks for the reply. If you feel comfortable responding, what are the made up experiences that you find often work well in a SFW romance setting?

That's just it - none of them are kinky or smutty or transgressive in any way. They're just entirely wholesome childhood experiences. They can fun to write about. A family trip here, or a new toy there.

It's just the dynamic of roleplay itself, where romance and/or sex is a sort of lubricant to creativity - making it easier to naturally find things to write about - that makes those stories happen. But the lazy delicious stuff is in the pretend reminiscing. Often as a way of both writers taking their own childhood experiences and reliving them in a sort of arms length way.

Idk just thinking through some old stories I'd written and what I'd enjoyed about them lol.

The pretend reminiscing is definitely one of the highlights of writing these themes. Finding the magic and the memorable in the banal, where nothing significant may have happened but a memory stuck with him or her. I think those are what make these stories more compelling, that underneath it all there's an unconditional love for each other.

Or the other side which is where a childhood memory caused some internal trauma and that bleeds into any possibility of the transgressive happening. And they would need to work through any of the damage done before they could take things further.

Yes! Certainly the movie Encanto this year has a lot more stories of family trauma coming to my mind.

Actually that reminds me of another neat thing you can do in these stories: time shift. Your character can remember things that happen *right now* as if they're memories. I.e. maybe her favorite movie was Encanto when she was a little girl.

Admittedly that works even better in true ddlg, when someone wants to experience or talk about their love for a kids movie or show through the headspace of a little, but this is the place where the ideas overlap somewhat. (in my experience at least, this is more what someone might enjoy in real life ddlg play, rather than roleplay per se)

I see, the fundamentals of ddlg don't really mesh with the F/D romances I want to write - prefer an attempt to equalize the power dynamic at least. The movie is a good idea. There could also be continuing platonic moments that develop their relationship together, e.g. him helping her through a panic etc.
I also like continuing to visit the confusion with them having to navigate between their interactions as father and daughter and significant others. He might get into Dad mode during an argument, not sure when that would happen though.

Very interesting topic! I do have this same kink, but you brought it up as a SFW platonic build-up, which is surprisingly enticing. I wonder if you've been able to find a safe forum for this genre of writing...

Back
Top Bottom