Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

My dark savior [Degu x Tsukuyomi]

Cydros shook his head at her conclusion. It seemed she had misunderstood his words. "Before you get any ideas about taking the gem and hauling me around with you, it would only work once. You’ll have to call my name, and then it’s up to me whether I come or not." His brow knitted as he went on. "To put it simply, I don't really exist in the same way you do. I suppose that if you divide a person into body and soul, my kind is something like a soul without a body. You were born as a being of flesh and blood, I wasn't.” A low sigh pushed past his lips. “So, if I have the great misfortune of being 'killed'… I can be brought back again at any time."

"But that’s not necessarily a good thing,” he warned. “One of the reasons why I prefer solitude is so I don't get some bloody sorcerer doing everything in their power to kill me and re-summon me into a vessel they control.” He ran a hand through his hair in exasperation. Just the possibility stressed him out. “Been there, and I can guarantee you it is a horrible experience to be a puppet on strings."

"I was in physical pain when I had to jam souls back into their bodies and raise an army of undead,” he grumbled. “Because that always goes so well...!” His voice dripped with sarcasm as he uttered those words. “I can tell you they get quite cranky when you not only deny them peace but just expect them to do your bidding.” His tone fell to a mutter as he shook his head. “I feel no pity for the mortals who learn the extent of their fury the hard way.”

"Wait, what?" Her eyebrows shot up in surprise and she shook her head quickly. "I was not getting any ideas!" She was simply trying to understand what he was saying, she had no intention of abusing him or his power! "I would not take it." Now she was thoroughly confused. He could be killed and revived at any time? That sounded... Beneficial but also troublesome, and she listened carefully before speaking again. How many bodies had he been in? Whose body was he currently in, or was it a vessel crafted specifically for his soul? There were so many things she didn't understand.

"I am aware how painful it is to be puppeteered." She'd never been physically forced like he was speaking of, or not quite in the same way, but she understood having her life and all of her actions, even her words controlled by someone else. "I am sorry you had to endure that pain." She reached out hesitantly, resting her hand on his for just a brief moment before she pulled it back and stared down at the remainder of her stew uneasily.

"I would never wish to bring you such pain."

Cydros listened intently to her words, his gaze flicking down to his hand when she reached out to touch it. She had such soft, delicate hands… Her hand only rested on his for a moment, but he found himself wishing it had stayed there longer. “Perhaps, you are someone I can entrust with this item, then,” he remarked. For some reason, her words filled him with a confidence that she would take good care of this powerful item he had created. Someone had to receive it sooner or later, otherwise its existence would be pointless.

“I don’t know the details of your predicament, but I will provide you with protection from your family in exchange for your companionship,” he promised. “I’ll be content if you just have your meals with me. Do tell me if my actions or my words upset you so I can reflect and adjust my behaviour accordingly.” He wore a deeply sincere expression as he spoke these words. This straightforward attitude was rather a defining trait of his. He didn’t beat around the bush.

“I consider myself most fortunate to have found such a beautiful bride,” he murmured with a bashful smile. “I would have already considered myself blessed if fate had gifted me an ugly wife.”

Trust her, a woman he barely knew? That seemed a bit odd, but everything about him was polar opposite of everything she had been told by her people. Her gaze lifted momentarily at his proclamation and she nodded, grateful for such an easy deal she could follow without issue. Eating meals with him was a small price to pay for protection and shelter from her family, not to mention all the other things he was insisting she must have while wed to him. How would they even go about finalizing their marriage? A ceremony with no one to attend seemed pointless, but perhaps there was something he wished to do to solidify their union.

"I am glad I am pleasing to your eyes." Her cheeks flushed before she went back to eating, managing another couple of bites before her stomach protested anything else. She hadn't even finished the meal and poked at it with her spoon, unsure if she should try to force herself to finish it to be polite, or if she should gratefully end her meal there.

'I, ah, the food is very good, but I'm afraid I'm not used to large meals. I'm not certain I can finish it, I hope you won't find me rude for it."

Cydros gave a small nod when she admitted she couldn't finish her meal. His eyes were gentle and forgiving. He knew better than to pressure her into eating more. "Not to worry. But do let me know if you get hungry again later. There's more than enough food in the pantry."

He gazed at her thoughtfully as he pondered over what he could give her as a way of finalizing their union. He couldn't just give her any old junk... It had to be something special. A show of trust. She seemed relatively harmless, not like the sort who would go off and form evil plans behind his back. Perhaps... he could gift her the gem in the form of a ring. Or as a necklace. He couldn't think of a better way to start their relationship as husband and wife than by giving her a part of himself. A sliver of his essence. It seemed a fitting gift when she in return devoted some of her mortal life to keeping him company. Time meant little to him... but to one with a limited lifespan, it meant everything.

"What sort of jewellery do you prefer?" he curiously inquired. "A ring, a necklace, a bracelet... or earrings?" Come to think of it, he could probably split the gem in two to fashion a pair of earrings for her if she preferred that. Although she would need both to summon him in the event that he 'died'.

"As you wish." It was a pleasant sentiment knowing she could eat should she hunger later, but the elf had a feeling that once she finally bathed and was subject to a warm, comfortable bed, any hunger would be forgotten until the morning. Even now she yearned for the heat of a bath to soothe her sore and abused muscles, to clean herself of any filth before dressing in whatever her intended presented her for bed.

"I am not sure," She frowned slightly and thought over it, over what would be the most practical now that she wasn't constantly going to be looking over her shoulder. Rings were common among humankind and even many elves, and wouldn't get in the way of most tasks. Earrings could easily snag on her hair or any of her clothing should she move the wrong way, and a necklace, although elegant, could also snag on things if she was being active.

"I think perhaps the most practical choice would be a ring, if I am to be riding and tending to any plants or animals."

Cydros nodded at her choice. A ring seemed sensible and most practical if she was the sort who preferred a more active lifestyle. "I will gift you a beautiful ring, then." A slight smile came onto his lips, his sincere gaze resting on her face. "I hope it will be to your liking."

She seemed like a practical, level-headed woman. He liked that about her. He hadn't known her for long, but he had a feeling that if there was any mortal to whom he could safely entrust his essence, it would be her. Whether she could protect it from those who would misuse it was another matter...

Finally, he rose up from his chair. If she had finished her meal, he saw no reason to continue eating. He ate with her out of mere courtesy, after all.

"There will be a hot bath waiting for you in the bed chamber, along with a nightgown." He stepped around the table to stand beside her, extending a hand to her as a polite gesture. "Shall I lead you there? I won't disturb you, of course - I have some matters of my own to attend to."

"I'm certain it will be." Everything had been catered with an attempt to be to her liking thus far, after all, and she hadn't even bathed or gotten dressed properly yet! He wished her to don the finer quality of life while she remained at his side, to eat when she pleased and to pick up and tend to hobbies as she pleased. Hell, she was still waiting for the other shoe to drop, to see what the catch for this seemingly perfect situation would be.

When he rose from the table that was her sign to get ready to as well, although she waited patiently for him to reach her side and extend the hand, a courtesy she had a feeling he would extend at the end of their meal. There was a brief moment of hesitation more out of habit than anything before she took his hand and nodded, allowing him to lead her away from her unfinished meal and toward the chamber she would soon share with him. His additional comment about the nightgown did soothe her nerves some, the material comfort would both keep her covered and warm through the wintery chills of her new environment.

"That would be lovely, thank you." Her eyes were moving as they walked, observing her surroundings despite the fact that they'd just come from that direction a short while ago. One could never be too careful, and things were always changing in her home land, what was to say it couldn't do the same here? She had little knowledge of the kind he employed aside from the fact they were likely poor company for a living being!

Back
Top Bottom