Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

This isn't my...world (Spirit and Aember)

S

Spiritfire41

“Where is she?” Groaned Ri, he was becoming very impatient, she said she would be back by now! Growling lightly Ri tried not to think of anything that might have accidently happened to her. Groaning again he moved and leaned back on his hands on the large rock that he was perched on, his legs spread out in front of him.

Ri, when standing, was a little over six feet tall. He was built well, his body strong and sturdy, but lean at the same time. Ri had muscle under his skin, but he was nowhere near being a body builder, he just looked like someone one would not want to mess with in a fight. Ri looked rather normal, except his ears were at a slight point, but it was very faint, and when he smiled his teeth were a little sharper than the normal humans. All minor characteristics, but things that made a species per say.

Ri shifted lightly and crossed his legs comfortably. He wore a black shirt and pants that seemed to be made of special cloth. His black boots seemed heavy, and meant to be hiked in. They were comfortable, had to be. There were no automobiles in this land, just horses and carriages. To his side, leaning against the boulder, was a sword that was strapped into the sheath. Attached to his side Ri had twin daggers also. “Hurry up Ani!” Growled Ri, even though she probably couldn’t hear. The rock he was sitting on was in a valley, a little to the side, but a good distance away from the enclosing trees. At many points there was a dirt path leading from the valley into the trees.

Limping she whimpered lightly. She was in the form of a brown puppy. Some stupid humans had kicked her and tried to tie cans to her tail, she had bitten them and got away, but now she was limping. Letting out a whimper she headed towards the building that she knew would take her back to the valley. Why do humans have to be so mean she groaned in her mind.

In her land the puppy, Ani, was a shape shifter, being able to take form of any kind of animal she wanted to, though she usually stuck with normal and regular ones. There were some actual forms that she couldn’t take on without seeing them first.

"Hey, Jack, look!"

The teenager named Jack turned his head to the voice that was calling him. It was one of his friends who was up ahead on the street a bit, making another point to their triangle. They stood in such a formation because they were playing catch. All three boys had on mitts and the baseball was currently in Jack's hand, poised to be tossed. But as he saw what his friend, Steven, was pointing at, he lowered the ball into his mitt.

"Aw, how sad," Jack commented. The third friend, who had noted the hold-up, began jogging toward Jack and Steven. Jack looked back to the other boy, Ron, and then began jogging to Steven. Once they were all near Steve, they began to advance as a group on the object they saw.

It was a puppy. A cute little brown puppy that was limping, and it looked to be a bit dirty. It looked like it had a rough time. Jack had a bleeding heart when it came to animals-- especially dogs. He loved dogs, and it almost broke his heart to see such a cute little puppy in such a state.

"Hey, I'm going to go see if I can help it out, you guys play," Jack said, then tossed his mitt to the ground and handed the baseball to Steven. Steven looked at Ron and they shrugged, then jogged back into place. Jack, meanwhile, slowly advanced behind the dog, wondering where it was going.

Confusion was written on his masculine features. He had a strong jaw that was clenched, and dark brown eyes filled with worry. He was a teen bordering on adulthood, and his body also told such a tale: he was developed, his arms slightly muscled from baseball and his legs muscled from running. Still, he was gentle as could be-- not the type to get into a fight, for sure. Definitely more of the type to go chasing after injured dogs. Where was that dog going, anyway?

Ani didn't notice the human following her at first, her mind locked on the target ahead, it was just down the alleyway she was headed towards, only a little ways away from where she was. She jumped when she heard something behind her. With a whimper she looked over, seeing the human she was worried that he was going to hurt her. Ani took off in the direction she had been heading. She didn't want to be kicked again, she didn't notice the worry in his eyes. She yelped as she hit into a trash can by accident, stumbling over herself before forcing herself up and into the building of her goal.

Ri lifted a hand, putting his whole wait on one, and ran it through his blood red hair that was a bit messy. The hair wasn't long, but it wasn't short, and it spiked out in places from going un-brushed a lot. His skin was covered by a nice tan from being outside a lot. He jumped to his feet, his hand going to his dagger when he heard something behind him. He paused and let out a sigh of relief. "Ani..." he paused and his features went from relief to concern. "Ani, you're hurt...Of course"

Ani was still in puppy form, she limped over to Ri and jumped on the rock, sitting down and just waiting. Ri shook his head and said, "Don't give me that look, you're the one who wanted to go to the human realm and see the humans, why couldn't you just leave them be?" He sighed and shook his head. Then he paused, sensing something wasn't right, he looked over to where Ani had come from.

Jack noticed that the dog seemed afraid of him. Poor thing!

"Hey, I'm not going to hurt you! Wait!" He called out. As the puppy began to bound forward, Jack sighed and then began running after her, not wanting her to stay outside if she was hurt. If she didn't have tags, he would take her back home and help to heal her up. Maybe if he was lucky he could keep her, though he didn't know if his parents really would let him. . .But that was something he would have to argue. Now, he just had to catch her and help her out!

Wincing as the thing hit the can, Jack paused a moment as he watched the dog stumble into the building. Scary-looking. Still, Jack pressed forward, wondering why the dog was so attracted to a run-down building. Maybe it's mother was in there, or something? Doubtful.

It seemed that once he entered the building, a bad feeling filled his stomach. As soon as his foot stepped inside, however, he had no time to think about such a feeling because he was sucked through the portal. It felt as though his body was disconnected from his conciousness for a split second.

And then Jack was back in his body. His eyes, which he didn't know he had closed, opened. He felt dizzy from the transaction, and because of this dizziness and blurry vision it took a moment to realize he wasn't anywhere he was supposed to be.

Birds chirping? Fresh air? The smell of green vegitation? What the hell?

Jack stumbled forward, spinning around as he did so, wondering where the hell he was. Did he pass out? Was this a dream? It had to be a dream. There was no way he could be inside of a fucking forest. He was just in the city. . .

Doing a full circle, Jack finally came forward once more, only to see the tall redhead and the puppy. He froze in his step, his eyes widening.

"W--what the hell?" He croaked.

The moment the other spoke Ri pulled back out his dagger that he had sheathed when he realized the first movement was from Ani. His eyes narrowed and all emotion fled from his face, a cold stare on the other, his extremely dark eyes seemed black, but if one got close enough they could tell they were actually a dark purple. Though, most things died before they got that close to him, besides Ani.

Ri moved in his step, getting ready to attack the other when Ani barked. She moved from the rock and changed form in a flash, into a human form. "No! Ri! Don't!" She said. In human form she had brown hair, white shirt and black pants similar to the cloth of Ri's, her feet covered by smaller white shoes. Her body was that of an eleven-year-old, she had big brown eyes that had the ability to make most things go 'aww, how cute'. "He's fine! He's human, harmless. He scared me back there and..."

"Was he the one that hurt you?" Ri asked coldly, but he didn't look like he was about to attack anymore. He relaxed a little bit more, stood straight though. But, he still had his dagger out.

Ani shook her head abruptly, "No! He just scared me, he tried to help me, followed me in the building and got struck by the portal."

Ri looked over Ani's head to the boy and then let out a sigh, sheathing his dagger, when he did Ani turned on her heals and moved closer to him, her arm having a bruise on it, the one she was limping on when she was in puppy form. "Hello." She said happily, "Sorry about Ri, he's a little..." she looked over behind her at Ri who had his arms now crossed over his chest, staring at the other skeptically. "Protective." She shook her head and looked back at Jack, "My name is Ani, sorry I ran from you, you just scared me." She held out her small hand to the other.

Only to add to his fright, the odd red-head pulled out a knife on him! Jack jumped back and put out his hand, as if his hand was really going to defend him from a dagger. Yeah, right. The look the man was giving him made him shiver with fear-- hell, he'd never been so afraid in his life! And as he stepped forward, Jack was even more afraid.

"Hey, wait! You-- you shouldn't play around like that! Those things are. . .pointy," Jack muttered, moving backwards, his face blanched and his eyes still wide. His hand was trembling. Oh, fuck, he was going to die!

It was at that moment that the movement caught his eye. By the time he looked the dog was gone and a small girl stood next to where the dog had been. Oh, Jack was going to have a heart attack! He sputtered, looking around, wondering where the hell she came from and where the hell the dog went.

Only when they started talking about her being hurt did Jack groan and put his face in his hands. This had to be a dream. He was dreaming. He couldn't be in a forest, with crazy men with knives and dogs who changed into girls. . .Couldn't be. Couldn't be.

The mantra kept repeating in his head, only to be interrupted by the girl getting close and then speaking happily. Jack peered through slightly-open fingers and looked down at her. His face looked as if he dreaded his further existance. He was almost certain he was going insane.

In awe, Jack pointed to the redhead. "Ri. . . ?" He sputtered, then pointed to the girl. "You. . .the dog? Hurt? Oh, god, I'm freakin' nuts! This is a dream, this is a dream," he started murmuring, and turned away from the girl's outstretched hand, hugging his own torso.

"That's the reason you carry them, isn't it, because they are..." Ri paused, "Pointy, as you put it." Ri couldn't help it he had to smirk at the wording the boy used. Ri studied the other some more, wondering if he really was a threat or not. He was human, that was for sure. Ri's eyes scanned the other up and down, a strong urge suddenly seized him, he wanted to wrap his arms around the boy because he looked so scared. Ri tried to push the feeling away and he looked away, looking around the valley instead.

Ani paused and listened as he rambled on about the whole situation. She pouted lightly when he turned away from her outstretched hand. "It's not a dream, see," she reached out and pinched the other's arm. "You humans are strange." She giggled lightly and watched him, frowning now. "I'm a shapeshifter, I can change my form to different animals. And it's not the end of the world you know, it's not like you can't get back to the human realm."

Ri moved from his spot finally, walking up behind Ani and placing a hand on her head, "If he wants to think this is a dream and be naive then fine, leave him for the Ikoki to get him."

Ani glared up at Ri, "Ri! That is mean! He tried to help me, the least we can do is help him get home!"

Yes! That was exactly Jack's point! People carried daggers, or knives, because they were pointy! Because pointy things killed people! Only gang bangers and other mischief-makers carried knives, and it unnerved him to all hell and back that the man infront of him had one. Even though it was sheathed by the time Jack turned his back. He still was scared out of his wits. Who knew how many more daggers. . .Ri had?

When he was pinched, Jack yiped and spun back around, looking down at the girl who was giggling. His eyebrows were furrowed and he looked confused. If it wasn't a dream, how the hell was he supposed to explain suddenly appearing in another setting, completely different from the one he was just in?

"A shapeshifter? Those only exist in stories," Jack muttered, and shook his head again. He didn't have to worry about getting back to the human realm because he was still in the 'human realm.' He was just dreaming! All he had to do was wake himself up. . .He pinched himself again. Nothing.

Frowning, Jack looked up at Ri as he spoke, then down at Ani.

Was. . .this really happening?

"If. . .If i'm not dreaming, and this is real. . .How do I get back?"

"You get back the same way you came," Ani answered, "Through the portal." She nodded happily. "All we have to do is find the portal and then you'll get taken back to your home." She nodded. "All..."

"Sh." Ri cut her off, shushing her. He looked around some more and groaned lightly, "Damnit, they're early, we got to get going." He moved and headed towards the rock, picking up the sword he had left there and put it to his side, starting to walk, "Come on."

Ani paused and sighed, tugging Jack's shirt she said, "Come on, we don't want you getting hurt, and if the ones coming see you here, they'll be mad." She turned and started to walk. "By the way, what is your name?" She paused and clarified, "If you stick with us we will find the portal, Ri is real good at finding the portals, he found the one I went through."

"And if you remember correctly I told you not to go because it was a bad idea," Ri said simply.

"Just because you have gone through and had a bad experience doesn't mean that the entire human world is bad!" Ani growled at him.

"And when you went you got hurt!" Ri pointed out, his tone edgy with frustration. When Ani stuck her tongue out at him he huffed and looked ahead, leading the way.

"Anyway....we should have you home in no time," She nodded and examined Jack, "You're cute too..." she paused, "Yay! A cute, nice, human!"

All they had to do was go back through a portal. A portal. Simple portal. Good. Well, that was good. Should be easy! But where was it?

Jack looked at Ri carefully when the man went and picked up his sword, then groaned and told them to follow him. Cautiously, Jack stepped forward and began to follow them at Ani's urging. However, he was completely confused by the young girl's words. The ones coming? What the hell? Though, he trusted the girl enough to follow them and rely on them to get him to a portal. Hell, she'd come into and out of one too!

After listening to their argument, Jack blinked and shook his head, sort of surprised that the girl had taken such a liking to him. She was pretty cute too. And she looked slightly like his little sister-- or at least she reminded him of her. He sort of laughed, and shook his head.

"Ur, thanks," he said, and laughed again. He then grew serious. "Ah. . .Where are we going? Who is coming? Why is he in such a bad mood?"

Ri looked over his shoulder, "I'm not in a bad mood."

"He really isn't, you'll know when he is a bad mood, you'll want to hide," she giggled lightly and shook her head, "He is just not really social to strangers."

"I don't trust you," Ri clarified, looking at the other for a little before looking back in front of him, the urge to comfort the other filled him again. Groaning lightly at the feeling he tried to push it away, but it was hard. "We have a few more hours of daylight, let's stop at the place we stayed last night Ani, then we don't have to go around in the dark."

Ani nodded and said, "Don't worry, uh....what's your name again?" She paused and added, "Ri won't hurt you." She looked behind them all and said, "To say, the people that were coming were elders, they are traditional and hate the idea of humans coming to this realm. They would send uh....we call them Suni's, but you would probably refer to them as...cops I think the word is." She paused thinking about it, "You're language have some different terms than we do."

Ri turned and they came into a small clearing that had a pond near the edge, a tall hill kind of cliff thing was blocking off a side. "We'll rest here for tonight and start off tomorrow." He paused and looked over at Jack, "Are you hungry?"

Jack furrowed his eyebrows and looked down at Ani as she spoke. Horrible mental images of Ri and those knives flashed through his head and he visibly shuddered, tripping over some rocks and stumbling slightly as he was caught off-guard. Once he'd righted himself, the images were pushed out of his head. However, Ri's words invaded him again.

"You don't trust me!" Jack exclaimed, looking at the man's red head with disbelief. "You're the one with knives!" Some evil voice in the back of his head chirped, 'And a sword!' Really. That was all the clarification that he really needed. Jack shuddered again and looked around him, taking in where he was. How the hell did Ri even know his way around this place? It was just a bunch of trees.

That made the human's footsteps speed up slightly. He didn't want to get left behind. He didn't know what he would do if he was lost. He'd probably curl up and die. Okay, so maybe not really. He'd find out something to do. But he couldn't guarentee to himself that he'd live through it.

"My name's Jack," he said, a bit bashfull, "Sorry." He smiled slightly and then paused to listen to what she had to say. Elders? They hated humans coming into the realm? Jack wondered if they were violent. "Uh. . .These. . .Suni's. . .the cops, what do they do if they find a human?" Great. Great question to ask.

He didn't know if he wanted the answer.

When they stepped into the clearing and stopped, Jack looked around. What a pretty place to stop. It was nice to know they were resting. . .He really didn't have walking shoes. Just a pair of converse.

"Yeah, a bit hungry," he informed Ri, then smiled slightly. He went to looking around again. "So. . .how far is it from the nearest city?"

Ri held back his remark to the other about the knives. He wanted to tell the other that if one didn't carry a weapon then they might as well go up to another demon and say 'look here, I taste like chicken, eat me'! Ri refused to say anything though, he was afraid that if he wasn't careful he would let the emotion go towards the other in another way, he was trying to turn it all in distance.

Ri walked over to the pond and pulled off his sword and laid it on the ground before kneeling and drinking some water. Ani didn't make any move towards the water, she wasn't hungry at the moment. She looked at Jack, more interested in him. "Jack...That's a funny name." She giggled lightly.

The trip that Ani had taken was her second to the human realm, the first was very short, and so was this one. She had yet to find out about their culture like she wanted to so now she had her chance to learn, through Jack. "Depends on which one finds you. Some of them will only just imprison you, others might kill you on the spot." She shrugged as if it was nothing, "Though you don't have to worry about being killed, Ri will protect us." She nodded and looked over to Ri who was walking the perimeter of the clearing.

"A City?" Ani questioned, looking puzzled.

"That's what they call large areas of civilization where people live and all. Bigger versions of our villages." Ri answered absent minded. "There is a village about half a days walk away from here." Ri answered the other's question.

When the other said he was hungry Ri nodded. "I know you're hungry Ani," Ri said before she could speak about that topic. After deciding nothing was coming or near the perimeter he walked over to the two and gave Jack a cool stare, then looking down at Ani as she spoke, "Can I?"

"Can you what? Go get food?" He asked, raising an eyebrow. When Ani nodded Ri sighed and shrugged, "Sure, go ahead, just be careful."

With a nod she smiled brightly and moved away, in a flash she was once again the little brown puppy, running into the trees.

Ri looked at Jack calmly and said, "There's nothing wrong with carrying weapons."

"How is Jack a funny name?" Jack said, furrowing his eyebrows. Honestly, he found Ri and Ani to be funny names! And he didn't like how the little girl made fun of his own. The brunette made a face at Ani, then grinned and folded his arms over his chest.

As she told him what they were do to him, Jack gave a shudder and looked apprehensively over at Ri. Hell, it didn't seem as if the redhead would even like him very much. . .How was he supposed to rely on the guy not to let him get killed? It seemed like he wouldn't let Ani die, but Jack? Chopped liver. Jack furrowed his eyebrows. And if these Sunis were so bad, Jack knew he couldn't protect himself. He was a pansy! If forced to, he could probably fight, but he had no expierence. Not a good thing in such a world.

And Jack realized it.

Knocked out of his thoughts by Ri's speech again, Jack looked at the man and his eyes widened. "Half a day's walk?" He echoed, and looked around at the forest terrain. "You're kidding, right?" Well, his shoes would get a good work out. And Jack was never one for hiking, so while he was fit, he didn't know if he could walk for a half of a day.

Plus, Ri had said villages. . .Not cities. . .Crap.

The cool stare made Jack eye Ri back, and it also made him jumpy when Ani switched into her puppy form and loped off into the trees. Jack opened his mouth up to tell her not to leave him alone with Ri, because frankly the man scared him, but she was gone before he could. Damnit.

Jack's eyes turned to look at the redhead as he mentioned weapons again. A shiver ran through him and he furrowed his eyebrows and pressed his lips together. "See, where I come from, only thugs carry weapons," Jack replied.

Ri reminded him of a thug, too. Mean. Seemingly in a bad mood. Not afraid to kill.

"And. . .thugs are bad people. . .I'm guessing you know how to use those, though. That's. . .that's good, I guess. Nothing's worse than being irresponsible with a weapon-- I mean, if you don't know how to use it you might. . .hurt. . .someone. . .that you didn't mean to hurt. . .Like. . ." He stopped his nervous rambling and turned to look around the clearing.

"Nice forest."

Ri didn't necessarily like the idea of being all alone with the boy for however long it took Ani, but he knew that he couldn't just leave the boy alone in the clearing. Even though he was skeptical of the other, mainly because of the feelings stirring in him while he was around the other, he wasn't about to let Jack get killed by the likes of some around the area. He shifted lightly when the other was explaining his views of weapons, how only thugs used them.

Thugs? Ha! Ri couldn't believe what he was hearing. Alright, so he could, but it didn't mean he had to except it. The fact that the other didn't approve of something, it should have made Ri happy, by the other disapproving of something it meant that Ri would have an easier time keeping him at a distance. But the look of disapproval that the other had on his features made Ri want to curse and apologize at the same time. What was it with this kid?! Why could he cause Ri so much frustration and emotion all at once.

When the other turned and commented on the forest he couldn't help but let out a laugh. His laugh wasn't a cold or sarcastic one, it was kind of hearty and all. He shook his head lightly and walked over to the other lifted a hand and placed it on his shoulder. "Do you really think that or just saying it to get off the subject you are oh so nervous about, Mr. No hiking." He smirked.

He looked at the other and his eyes held a softer look to them, not as hard as before. He also had a small smirk on his lips still that eased his features. He moved away from the other, his features going back to a distance kind of way as if he just snapped out of a daze. He started towards the edge of the clearing and started picking up wood that had fallen off the trees. "Besides, I only use knives if I have to." He paused, "Like when there is an opportunity to be attacked. And I rarely use my sword unless in a fight and as a last option."

Jack seemed to be completely oblivious to Ri's discomfort. But that was Jack-- not the most observant of people. That came from not having to be observant, though. Jack lived in a good part of the city-- he really didn't have to pay attention to his surroundings, or other people's reactions.

"N--no. It's a nice forest!" Jack snipped, his eyes narrowed at Ri when the redhead mentioned that he seemed nervous. Well, that was a crack to his manhood. It was one thing to be frightened out of his pants at the fact that someone so close to him had deadly weapons, but it was a completely seperate thing to mention it! The memory of that hearty laugh was enough to not allow Jack to be angry for too long. After all, Ri had almost a comforting voice when he laughed.

For the first time, Jack didn't suspect that Ri wanted to kill him!

As the brunette looked up at the man, he noted the soft look in his face and Jack furrowed his eyebrows, taking a stepped away from the hand on his shoulder before Ri pulled away as well. The touch had sent shivers down his spine. . .It had been so soft, and that unnerved Jack.

"Well-- well, that's good to know," Jack commented, watching Ri pick up wood. It took a moment, but suddenly Jack lurched into action and he began to help Ri, picking up twigs and wood from the clearing and around the forest line.

Ri cursed himself for letting his shield down for a moment, but he couldn't help it. He looked over to the other out of the corner of his eye. He might not be such a burden after all, he could prove to be a bit amusing. Ri just had to find a way to not let emotions get in the way. The last time he let emotions get in the way the ending didn't go so happy.

He looked over when he saw the other go into motion, smiling softly to himself. Honestly, Ri didn't expect Jack to help, he expected him to go get a drink or something else, but it made him glad that he had helped. At least he wasn't a slacker or anything. He moved the wood he collected towards the center of the clearing, a yard or so away from the pond.

It didn't take long for enough wood to be collected to fit Ri's satisfaction. He rearranged a few things and set up a pile ready to be set on fire, waiting though.

He looked over at Jack and said, "You can relax now, we're just waiting for Ani now." He paused and watched the other curiously, "So...what part of the city do you live in?" His curiosity winning out for now.

It didn't take long after the question that was asked that Ani came skipping in, back in her human form, holding three large fish in her arms. "I found food!" She said happily. "Isn't this great, there were market fish sellers passing on the path towards the village and they gave me three free fish!" She beamed with happiness.

Ri smiled softly and said, "That's wonderful." He paused and then added jokingly, "You always were one to get what you wanted out of other's." When she stuck her tongue out at him he laughed.

Ani looked at Jack and said, "I hope you eat meat."

Jack was glad to help. He wasn't a slacker, not really-- though he did put off his homework as long as possible and he would put off classwork in lieu of talking to his friends-- and plus, what would he do if he didn't help Ri? Sit on his ass and stare at the other man awkwardly? It didn't sound like that much of a good time. Granted, neither did picking up sticks, but at least it made things substantially less awkward.

When their gathering was through, Jack's doe-brown eyes rested on the pile of sticks in the clearing as Ri began to set them up to start a fire. He didn't look at the man, just at the sticks, as if they were the most fascinating thing in the world. Because of this concentration, Jack nearly jumped when Ri finally spoke, telling him to relax. His shoulders slumped slightly, and his lips were about to open to answer the question when Ani came bounding into the clearing carrying fish.

A small grin played on his lips at Ani's and Ri's antics, but when Ani looked at him and asked the question he nodded his head, and replied, "Yeah, I do." After answering, Jack looked down at the fish in her arms. His lips pressed together to suppress a grimace.

So Jack was a little squemish. So what? He could never be a hunter or a fisher or a butcher. Not that big of a deal. He only hoped that he didn't have to clean the fish, or he might loose his lunch and not even be able to eat dinner.

Back
Top Bottom