Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

[NSFW] In a World Full of Mist (PbtA Based) 1-2 spots!

steelsmiter

Dwarf King
I've written another System game, this time a JRPG... Well, sort of, I'm white and not stupid enough to think that I really qualify as a subject matter expert on Japanese culture, but the game I wrote is all about emulating the feel of those games before everything became an ARPG (and some in the transition period like FFXII and FFXV) where everyone starts off with rusty iron stuff, and can eventually advance to Top Tier gear and having 9,999 HP and MP. Games where characters have Limit Breaks and Summons. Games where characters only die against End Bosses or better and Cutscenes,. It's a game largely inspired by the PbtA system, but differs enough I don't want to outright call it that. But it follows the same Basic/Advanced/Class move structure as at least one PbtA game(DW), and the Basic and Advanced Moves kind of look like menu options if you look at them sideways. It also follows a modified form of the Class Warfare in which everyone picks an ancestry (required) and two other options from mixed ancestry, class (no qualifications), and any advanced class they qualify for.

FAQ
I always get some questions when I write a game I will do my best to answer here. I'm old enough to have forgotten some of them, so bear with me, yeah?

Q: Where is this game going to be played
A: Here in the forum threads, with possible side questing in PMs. Don't bank on this.

Q: Why not use [System]
A: It didn't do something or all the things I wanted. I mentioned a few in the paragraph above

Q: Why so long?
A: Fortunately if you're not running it, you really only need the characters book, which contains 15 Ancestries, 9 base classes, and 18 Advanced Classes. I don't know how many combinations that makes, but I think factorial works in there somehow. That part's 60 pages, plus the 36 pages of magic that JRPGs often have, and another 60 in equipment. Plus I threw in some appendix stuff on how to make characters and inspiration for naming.

Q: Why is it so much harder than PBtA?
A: Because PBtA occurs on the individual points (I) scale, or tens of points (D) scale, while JRPGs occur on the thousands of points (K) scale. Multiplication and Algebra are implemented to resolve this difference.

Story Ideas
A Twitch Glitch in the System

A new MMO in development phase is all the rage, but it has a dark secret. The subscriber base is small enough that it's not well publicized yet, but some players have been disappearing under mysterious circumstances. When [party size] popular video game streamers from various platforms go missing after logging onto a collaborative video effort news breaks out and the game suddenly becomes so much more popular. What's more, those loved ones who kept the computers on have started to realize their owners are attempting to speak to the outside world. Can the streamers figure out what captured them and escape before they are killed, or will they be glitched out in an update cycle?

A World of Modern Magic
Somewhere along the way, technology did not progress like one might expect, and some, or potentially all modern devices are powered by magic instead of their usual mechanism. This could mean that there's a lot of magical crystals laying around, or it could mean that cars run on demon power, or that Wi-Fi must follow the path of ley lines. It also means that there are people tasked with making sure that the magic that keeps the world running smooth doesn't go awry. Your party is those people.

Optional: Secret Magic.
Like above, except common folk don't know it's magic that runs their smartphones, or really any of their tech. Those who suspect it might be true are largely regarded as crackpot conspiracy theorists. The party would be responsible for cleanup and cover-ups in the event that technology fails in a way that blatantly runs the risk of revealing the secret.

Earth 21XX
Some time ago, scientists were noodling around with Quantum Physics (as one does, ya know…) and accidentally created the first Quantum Mage, but also accidentally opened a portal into an alternate dimension from which weird creatures spawned. Over the next 7 years the creatures' continual presence slowly altered the physics of the world so that certain advanced technologies no longer worked and certain technologies that had previously become nonviable came to fruition. At first the creatures were winning, and then suddenly the first Royal of Old New York City summoned an archangel to protect the town. That summoner along with anyone who knew the old world is now dead. And from the ashes of the old world, a small group of new heroes arise.

Woke up on a Battlefield
The players all appear to have participated in a great battle of powerful magicks. They are laid out on the ground in a scorched earth crater. Why are they there? Who did they serve? To what end was the battle fought? Why can't they remember anything before?

Any takers? I'm looking enough players to make 4 PCs at least, but will accept up to 10. You don't have to read the book immediately, but I think to avoid thread clutter, I want you to edit your initial post indicating interest to include your character sheet.

Last edited:

Sample Character Sheet

NameK'hu
AncestryChīhuò
ClassesSourceror/Alchemist
DescriptionK'hu appears to be a 20 something year old cross between a human and a frog, 1.7 meters tall and weighing 102kg colored yellow with tufts of brown hair sticking out of various spots. While the tufts of hair suggest that K'hu is masculine, their name is culturally nonbinary and K'hu doesn't refer to themselves in either fashion. K'hu wears a leather apron, and the uniform of a military chef--Which military though, is an unidentifiable patch, damaged by events that occurred during K'hu's service.
LanguagesK'chin, Common

AbilityValueDerived StatisticValueStatuses and Conditions (Duration)
Strength-1HP240
Vitality-1MP400
Agility+1Destiny0
Mind+1Initiative+1
Spirit+1Stamina10
Secrets+0Speed1
Shenanigans+2

Allegiances and Oppositions

FactionModifierPoint Value
Some think K'hu might have been in league with The Dread Wyrm Kael'Var, Eater of Light-1-2
People who are wary of K'hu's experiments' potential to explode-1-2
K'hu's uniform indicates he was a military cook, which most people can respect despite misgivings about service record+14

Armor Proficiencies

Light Armor, Medium Armor

Weapon Proficiencies

1 handed Blades, Rods, and Staves,

Starting Moves

Eat Anything
Threshold +25%; Can gain 1 Scrap (Chef's Knife)

Monster Magic
  • Charm (Tier 1; MP Cost 1; A target of a threat tier equal to or lower than your Power Tier+Spirit will follow +Spirit commands from you)
    • Upgrade: This effect can be made a Mass effect by adding +3 tiers, increasing cost to 8
  • Element Breath (Tier 2; MP Cost 2; 160 or 80 Damage of a chosen element in a 10 meter area immediately in front of the caster.
Alchemize
Three scrap items make a consumable, see the class for more details.

Advanced Moves

None Yet

Key Items

• A Mess Kit
  • Intricate hand made bone jewelry
  • A Basic Alchemy Set

Armor

ArmorLeather Apron
Tier2
Arm200
M. Arm400
Other EffectsEquivalent to Battlekini, Resistant to Fire

Weapons (Damage (Item Tier+PowerTier) x (Ability Mod x60 or 100))

Main Hand
WeaponChef's Knife (Tier 2)
Damage(2+1) x (60 or 100)=180 or 300
Other Effects
Whenever you would use Banquet, you gain 1 more Scrap. If you can't use Banquet, Gain 1 scrap when you Eat Anything anyway.​

Off Hand
WeaponUnarmed Attack (Power Tier 1, nonlethal)
DamageK'hu isn't really strong enough to even deal stamina damage.
Other Effects
Nothing​

Accessories

AccessoryTierEffects
Oven Mitts1Ignore fire damage, but the mitts suffer 1 durability loss per 100 points mitigated
Chef's Outfit1The character is recognized as a legitimate authority in any kitchen. Parley rolls to avoid suspicion are made with +1 dice, taking the highest two.

Other Items

Basic Healing Item x3
Basic Mana Item x3

Last edited:
Interesting. I can certainly see the Final Fantasy influence.
Guilty. It's primarily influenced by FFs (whichever was the first full color one on NES in the US, ya know not just a single color per character), IX, X, XII, XV, and Tactics. I've played a few other JRPGs (Some Lost Odyssey, Persona 3 FES, Persona 4, Very little Chrono series) that snuck minor influences in there from time to time. I wanted it to be generic enough to fly under corporate radar, while also being referential enough that people see where it's going and can in turn go with it. I don't know if you can see my sig, but if you're actually interested enough to throw your lot in on scenario preference and make a character, my discord will provide easier communication during that time. I have another there who may jump in on the action, and a few players of my other PBtA game (in multiple scenarios) who might make character creation easier. Of course if you're familiar with Dungeon World's "Class Warfare" you won't have too much trouble.

I'm up for giving this a try! Here is my tentative character. Some of the specifics may change depending on which setting we end up settling on, but I'm keen to play a dragon knight.

NameXC2 ("Ex-See 2", Experimental Combat Unit #2)
AncestryAndroid
ClassesMonk/Dragon Knight
DescriptionXC2 appears to be an extremely focused human woman, but her body is actually entirely inorganic and artificial. Her 'skin' is cold to the touch, and beneath it lies only complex circuitry and pistons. She does not breathe; she does not blink.
LanguagesCommon, Binary, Longyu

Strength+1HP600
Vitality+1MP200
Agility+3Destiny0
Mind+1Initiative+3*
Spirit-1Stamina46
Secrets-1Speed3
Shenanigans-1
* Including Quick bonus

People who think Enlightenment/Your form of Martial Arts is Bullshit-1-2
The Dread Wyrm Kael'Var, Eater of Light+22
People who oppose Kael'Var?-2
Unspent - PCs??2

Armor Proficiencies

All armour and shields (but XC2 cannot actually wear armour)

Weapon Proficiencies

Knuckles, flexible weapons, staves, all bladed weapons, polearms

Starting Moves

Robotic: You do not need to breathe, eat, drink, or sleep. Moves that tell you to do so automatically fail unless they affect whatever method was used to create you. You're immune to poison, and disease. Because you effectively don't have a stamina score, effects that would reduce it for you cause HPenalty instead. You also don't heal damage without being repaired (which can be accomplished with an integrated tool set) with a +Mind roll and consumption of parts.
Armoured: Your body counts as Medium Armor granting your Power Tier x 150 to both ARM and M. ARM damage. You cannot wear armor with this modification.

Ironfist: The monk's unarmed attacks deal damage as if they were a weapon equal to the monk's power tier
Tameshiwari: Whenever a monk with this art attacks any object with a Durability score, may spend MP to deal Durability damage to the object. This costs as much as a spell of their Damage Tier, and deals 1 Durability per 100 Damage.

All of your jumps are either Strength or Agility x10 in height and distance now. You never suffer damage from falling this distance or less, even if you are thrown from a mount. After you jump, you must take a 1 action cooldown, at the end of which if you land on a creature, it suffers (25 per meter) plus your weapon damage.

Advanced Moves

None Yet

Key Items

• Broken technology which nobody knows how to fix. (Haven't thought about what this might be yet)
  • Prayer Beads
  • Dragon Crest signet granted by her patron, made of silver

Armor

ArmorNone
Tier1
Arm150
M. Arm150
Other Effects

Weapons

Main Hand
WeaponKatana (Tier 3)
Damage(3+1) x 3 x (60 or 100) = 720 or 1200
Other EffectsAgile, Quick

Off Hand
WeaponUnarmed Attack (Tier 1)
Damage(1+1) x 1 x (60 or 100)=120 or 200
Other EffectsNone

Accessories

AccessoryTierEffects
Elemental Armguard (Fire)3Absorbs fire damage.

Other Items

None!

Last edited:
I'll take a look. Was initially hesitant due to custom system, but... it shouldn't be a problem.

Something I forgot to mention (because I forgot BMR doesn't have one): I have a dice roller on my discord. I hope needing to make rolls there isn't a deal breaker.

**Work in Progress**

NameCecilia Urbane
AncestryHuman
ClassesLight Mage
Description Whitemage.png Cecilia is a spry young woman full of youth and opinion. She wears the robe of her Order eagerly, ready to aid the injured and "set wrongs to right"
spreading the message of hope to the world.
LanguagesCommon

Strength0HP140
Vitality0MP630
Agility0Destiny0
Mind+2Initiative+1
Spirit+2Stamina28
Secrets-1Speed1
Shenanigans-1

Androids, Mistfolk, and others who are viewed as spiritually inferior-1-3
People who look upon their religion favorably+1+3
Allegiance with human aristocrats.+1+2

Armor Proficiencies

A Light Mage can use light armors only, but not shields. While they don't lose proficiency with armors if they takethis class later, using armor heaver than light can interfere with their ability to cast.

Weapon Proficiencies

A Light Mage can use rods, staves, and wands. Regardless of proficiencies, Light mages cannot use edged weaponsby way of a vow.

Starting Moves

High Born: As a minor noble, You have +1 Allegiance with human aristocrats. Mutually exclusive with Street Kid

Cosmopolitan: Humans have many cultures among their own Ancestry, and often serve in merchant bands for other Ancestries. As a result of this, when using Parley for bargaining, or to improve another's disposition, take +1 Ongoing. (Flaw: Naïve: +1 dice around cynical or pessimistic people, take the lower two)

Light Magic: A light mage can learn spells of the Holy, Light, Healing, and Status Recovery types. They Cast with the Mind Ability
Healing Touch, Tier 3.
MP Cost 4
Heals Tier 3 damage on a single target. The caster touches according to the Cast move with +Mind as the Ability.

Advanced Moves

Call: Animal Instincts, Tier 2 MP Cost 2
Your animal guardian leaps out to defend you. On a 12+ with cast, this attack deals Tier 2 damage that ignores armor. When you Call Animal Guardian at HP Critical, it Whisks Away you and your party, equivalent to Mass Escape.

Key Items

• A journal, in which you record reflections on important events.
  • A book containing the religious teachings of your faith. All Light Magic spells are contained within, but they are encoded such that even if you know Angelic you will only learn them "when you're worthy"

Armor

ArmorCloth Robe
Tier1
Arm100
M. Arm200
Other EffectsNone

Weapons

Main Hand
WeaponWhite Staff, Tier 3
Damage3+1 x (60 or 100)=240 or 400 Melee or Element Holy Bolt at 100m
Other EffectsLimited Use Spells: The magic staff has 3 Element (Holy) Bolt spells, and 3 that can be used once per day (Restore Voice, Haste, Light) , and a single tier 5 (Lasting) status spell (Detox)

Off Hand
WeaponNone
Damage-
Other Effects-

Accessories

AccessoryTierEffects
None--

Other Items

400 GP

Last edited:
Those sheets are approved. I would prefer to take at least 1-2 more before we start. We might have one in progress, and there are a few feelers out that I'm not sure about.

Back
Top Bottom