Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Suggestion Replying

I understand having to make three posts to get full access and everything to make sure you're a real member and won't spam. But I do think you should at least be allowed to reply to posts in the searching for roleplay section, specifically at LEAST your own post so you can bump it if needed.

Making this suggestion will push me into the third post criteria but I still think it's really strange that you aren't even allowed to reply to your own post until you're a member. The reason I didn't have three posts yet was because I didn't have any questions and I keep my roleplay requests compacted into one since many forums allow for only one post. So it isn't like I could have posted another one there since I already had everything I'm searching for in one.

Again, I understand the system, but I still think it could do with some tweaks. Like again, being able to reply to your own posts so you can at least bump them.

Writing in your intro, conversing with those that have greeted you, and saying hello to others in their introduction threads is what we typically recommend to newcomers. If you had responded to Staine, for instance, you would have had a second post almost immediately. So, the ability is definitely there.

And the bumping rule is pretty strict at the 23 hour mark as well. So posting a second time in a RT soon after would violate that rule, if I'm understanding what you're saying.

Writing in your intro, conversing with those that have greeted you, and saying hello to others in their introduction threads is what we typically recommend to newcomers. If you had responded to Staine, for instance, you would have had a second post almost immediately. So, the ability is definitely there.

And the bumping rule is pretty strict at the 23 hour mark as well. So posting a second time in a RT soon after would violate that rule, if I'm understanding what you're saying.
1. Uh yeah I wasn't gonna reply to the person who commented even if they're welcoming committee, what does one even say to,, that? If you want people to reply to comments in their intros then the welcoming committee should actually greet them instead of typing out what is essentially nonsense. I hope I don't sound disrespectful; this is from a constructive stance. 2. It just says "'Full access' is after three posts have been made, and you have been registered for more than 24 hours. This lets you view profiles and start private conversations." It doesn't give examples on where to post other than introduce yourself and set up a request thread, and I believe there was a line about posting in questions and suggestions, nothing else that I saw, so that information isn't easily available, it should be made more available and should be made clear what the site counts as a post. 3. You did misunderstand, I had been a member for over 24 hours, I was fully within the rules, I just hadn't made a third post yet. I know the 23 hour rule, I waited OVER 23 hours before I even went to look at my post again when I noticed that I wasn't even allowed to bump it because I couldn't reply at all to the post because I hadn't posted 3 times.

At the risk of sticking my nose in, you could had replied to this question to improve your post count...just sayin'. :)

Capture.PNG

1. Uh yeah I wasn't gonna reply to the person who commented even if they're welcoming committee, what does one even say to,, that? If you want people to reply to comments in their intros then the welcoming committee should actually greet them instead of typing out what is essentially nonsense. I hope I don't sound disrespectful; this is from a constructive stance. 2. It just says "'Full access' is after three posts have been made, and you have been registered for more than 24 hours. This lets you view profiles and start private conversations." It doesn't give examples on where to post other than introduce yourself and set up a request thread, and I believe there was a line about posting in questions and suggestions, nothing else that I saw, so that information isn't easily available, it should be made more available and should be made clear what the site counts as a post. 3. You did misunderstand, I had been a member for over 24 hours, I was fully within the rules, I just hadn't made a third post yet. I know the 23 hour rule, I waited OVER 23 hours before I even went to look at my post again when I noticed that I wasn't even allowed to bump it because I couldn't reply at all to the post because I hadn't posted 3 times.

Oh boy.

1. I'm gonna have to agree that I'm not a fan of copypasta being sent at me in a welcoming post. It's comes across as no better than an automated message. While I understand the need for some of the message to be consistent and regular, for the dissemination of information, there should be some sort part of the message that comes across as unique and genuine. The welcome in your thread comes across, as you said, as nonsense due to the false platitudes.

That being said.

You do sound very ornery and disrespectful. What do you say to a response like that? You just be polite and thank the person for at least posting in your introduction thread. As someone else pointed out, Staine did add some part of his message that was personalized towards you-- or so it would seem. At the very least it is a question that could be answered. The question posed was adequate enough to get a response out of you. Your claim of not seeing it is something that has stuck with me as I read the rest of your message.

2. At some point user error and a severe lack of an inquisitive nature is on you and not the staff. Could they write out a detailed, step-by-step manual on how to make three posts on this message board? They certainly could, but should they? I don't think so. It's the most basic of the basic.

The fact that you missed a portion of Staine's post leads me to believe that you're rushing ahead, getting impatient and not looking to pay attention to details. It should have taken you ten minutes of those 24 hours on probation to figure out that you can just make three posts pretty much anywhere on the forum. If you are entirely unaware of what the word "post" means, then this is a post. You write a message in any thread and then hit the "post reply" button. It's common and understood message board lingo, and considering it's right there on the interface, it isn't exactly a mystery.

However, you do comment on "where" to post. This information is not posted in "Introductions." It is, however, posted in a thread that one should read before posting in this very forum: Frequently Asked Questions, Answered! Please Read Before Posting [Updated 11/22/2020]

You have your answers right there. Should this information be in "Introductions"? Maybe, but it's right there in a thread that anyone SHOULD read before posting a thread here to ask about it.

3. You are confusing terminology. A thread is a specific topic of conversation made by a user. A post/message is the individual responses within that thread. Posting is an "action" that can be attributed to creating a thread or post/message.

You created/posted/made this thread. This is a post/message that you are reading, which I have "posted".

You are disgruntled over not following any of the steps to be able to do what it is that you want to do. If you had only taken the time to read the rules, respond properly to the welcoming post, and then read the "Frequently Asked Questions" thread, then this entire conversation would have never needed to happen. Your problems aren't the fault of a nonsensical system that is in dire need of change. They're a result of your apparent inexperience and the failure of your powers of observation.

Oh boy.

1. I'm gonna have to agree that I'm not a fan of copypasta being sent at me in a welcoming post. It's comes across as no better than an automated message. While I understand the need for some of the message to be consistent and regular, for the dissemination of information, there should be some sort part of the message that comes across as unique and genuine. The welcome in your thread comes across, as you said, as nonsense due to the false platitudes.

That being said.

You do sound very ornery and disrespectful. What do you say to a response like that? You just be polite and thank the person for at least posting in your introduction thread. As someone else pointed out, Staine did add some part of his message that was personalized towards you-- or so it would seem. At the very least it is a question that could be answered. The question posed was adequate enough to get a response out of you. Your claim of not seeing it is something that has stuck with me as I read the rest of your message.

2. At some point user error and a severe lack of an inquisitive nature is on you and not the staff. Could they write out a detailed, step-by-step manual on how to make three posts on this message board? They certainly could, but should they? I don't think so. It's the most basic of the basic.

The fact that you missed a portion of Staine's post leads me to believe that you're rushing ahead, getting impatient and not looking to pay attention to details. It should have taken you ten minutes of those 24 hours on probation to figure out that you can just make three posts pretty much anywhere on the forum. If you are entirely unaware of what the word "post" means, then this is a post. You write a message in any thread and then hit the "post reply" button. It's common and understood message board lingo, and considering it's right there on the interface, it isn't exactly a mystery.

However, you do comment on "where" to post. This information is not posted in "Introductions." It is, however, posted in a thread that one should read before posting in this very forum: Frequently Asked Questions, Answered! Please Read Before Posting [Updated 11/22/2020]

You have your answers right there. Should this information be in "Introductions"? Maybe, but it's right there in a thread that anyone SHOULD read before posting a thread here to ask about it.

3. You are confusing terminology. A thread is a specific topic of conversation made by a user. A post/message is the individual responses within that thread. Posting is an "action" that can be attributed to creating a thread or post/message.

You created/posted/made this thread. This is a post/message that you are reading, which I have "posted".

You are disgruntled over not following any of the steps to be able to do what it is that you want to do. If you had only taken the time to read the rules, respond properly to the welcoming post, and then read the "Frequently Asked Questions" thread, then this entire conversation would have never needed to happen. Your problems aren't the fault of a nonsensical system that is in dire need of change. They're a result of your apparent inexperience and the failure of your powers of observation.
I DID read the linked thread. Thats where I got my information from. I'm sorry if I come off as disrespectful and ornery, I'm just trying to be blunt instead of beating around things.

"Posts" count as different things on different platforms so my apologies for not knowing exactly what constitutes a post on this specific platform. To a lot of platforms, a "post" isn't the same as replying to something.

Anyway, I did look back at the post and Staine's reply. That's on me and my phone. When I clicked the notification it looked like the persons uh, name thing? Title? Whatever that is, is the comment because there's a ton of space between that and the ACTUAL reply since the images didn't load in. So I take back my comment and apologize for that. I am, once again, on mobile and it's hard to view the entire thing/I didn't even realize WHAT it was I was viewing, I clicked on the notification and it showed the name followed by what I thought was the comment but have now realized wasn't. It wasn't about rushing, it was about not understanding the forum's layout, as most new members wouldn't, and images simply not loading in that caused THAT mistake.

Had I seen the actual message/had the image loaded in I would've seen the copy pasta and I don't mind those. So I do genuinely feel bad, I spoke out of turn when talking about what I thought was the greeting message. But again, it wasn't due to me rushing.

I however DO still stand by the fact that things should be made more clear as a whole. I won't retract that, at all. It literally wouldn't hurt ANYTHING to make things more clear. It wouldn't change how everything is set up, I could care less, things simply need to be made more clear.

I appreciate you taking a step back in tone.

I will concede that the information in the link I provided should be in The Introductions forum, because what does it hurt? It just makes sense.

However, I still don't understand how it isn't clear. If you are indeed 18, then perhaps it's just a generational thing. I've been using message boards longer than you've apparently been alive. This sort of thing did not confuse me when I was 10. So, to me and many others, this is all very simple and straightforward. I would be interested to hear from others in your age group, 18 or 19, if they've also had trouble understanding the contents of that post and how exactly to make three posts. Perhaps it's a result of message boards almost being a legacy technology compared to Reddit, Twitter, Tik Tok, Discord, ect.

Ultimately it's no skin off my back if they make more precise instructions. I mostly just posted to rebuke you due to the abrasive way in which you were posting. It's not really a matter worth arguing over. You are making a suggestion, and it isn't exactly a harmful one.

I can see how the beginning part of Staine's welcome message could be a bit confusing. It's very cute...but if you can't load the wolf pictures, it sounds a little nonsensical.

I know the artists for BMR put in a lot of effort to make these colourful welcoming messages and make them unique to each WC member so they have their own flair and identity. But something that should be noted is that on some of my old devices those fancy coding letters like these "нι тнєяє, нєℓℓσ, нι!" showed up for me as merely empty boxes all in a line. So, if I were a new member, using one of my old tablets(just a regular Amazon Fire 10 so not even that old really) I would not have been able to read 90% of Staine's welcome message as it is written in that alt code font.

And the functionality of this site is very different from other forum styles like reddit. Omg, I've been on forums like BMR for too long that I can't navigate places like Twitter or Reddit and I get old man angry when I try. I can see how someone completely new to this style of forum might find it difficult to navigate if reddit or something like that is what they're used to. I mean, it's that problem you face working as a cashier or service employee at a place for years. You're standing there all day, every day, and you know all about how things work and where everything is. So questions like, "Where is the restroom?" seem really stupid time wasting questions until you consider 1. this person needs to use the facilities and isn't desiring to go on a long journey searching when 2. they've never been here before. They don't know if they look up into the northeast corner of the store they might see the Restrooms sign and they probably have to go so bad, they're not fooling around with "let me look for a restroom sign all over. I've got time to waste and my bladder is aight."

I dunno how you adapt for that. I dunno if it's even worth it to alter how everyone does things when very likely every WC member could have a site map in their welcome message and still get asked where the bathroom is every day. I just looked because I was curious and thought I'd mention for this particular instance, I could see where the confusion came from.

Last edited:
Oh boy.

The copied part is the format and all the links, yes, but I and I assume the others manually type out a question to every single person we greet. In this exact instance I asked about their favourite fandoms because they said they enjoy fandoms.

I can see how the beginning part of Staine's welcome message could be a bit confusing. No offense to Staine and the persona adopted. It's very cute...but if you can't load the wolf pictures, it sounds a little nonsensical. *cringes* I'm really really trying not to be mean or critical. But I can definitely understand the critique of what was said being "essentially nonsense" and overall missing information or not being clear on what is relevant or not. ESPECIALLY if the fancy images aren't loading.

I know the artists for BMR put in a lot of effort to make these colourful welcoming messages and make them unique to each WC member so they have their own flair and identity. But something that should be noted is that on some of my old devices those fancy coding letters like these "нι тнєяє, нєℓℓσ, нι!" showed up for me as merely empty boxes all in a line. So, if I were a new member, using one of my old tablets(just a regular Amazon Fire 10 so not even that old really) I would not have been able to read 90% of Staine's welcome message as it is written in that alt code font.

I'm not trying to be critical or shit on anyone. I just can understand how that could be a little bit confusing and potentially frustrating, especially if parts of the post weren't loading right. "You're a good boy? Squirrel? What? What the hell are you even talking about right now? I need 3 posts? Ok. Thanks, I guess."

And the functionality of this site is very different from other forum styles like reddit. Omg, I've been on forums like BMR for too long that I can't navigate places like Twitter or Reddit and I get old man angry when I try. I can see how someone completely new to this style of forum might find it difficult to navigate if reddit or something like that is what they're used to. I mean, it's that problem you face working as a cashier or service employee at a place for years. You're standing there all day, every day, and you know all about how things work and where everything is. So questions like, "Where is the restroom?" seem really stupid time wasting questions until you consider 1. this person needs to use the facilities and isn't desiring to go on a long journey searching when 2. they've never been here before. They don't know if they look up into the northeast corner of the store they might see the Restrooms sign and they probably have to go so bad, they're not fooling around with "let me look for a restroom sign all over. I've got time to waste and my bladder is aight."

I dunno how you adapt for that. I dunno if it's even worth it to alter how everyone does things when very likely every WC member could have a site map in their welcome message and still get asked where the bathroom is every day. I just looked because I was curious and thought I'd mention for this particular instance, I could see where the confusion came from. Sorry, Staine. *pet pet*
Regarding different text as boxes, my dear, could you DM me a little screen shot so I can get an idea? Obviously no design is made to not be read by all. And I would definitely want to rectify this problem. X.x

Regarding different text as boxes, my dear, could you DM me a little screen shot so I can get an idea? Obviously no design is made to not be read by all. And I would definitely want to rectify this problem. X.x
Actually, waking up my old tablet and taking a look, Staine's message is fine. None of that is unclear. So, my mistake.

However, to show you what I mean, and I have no access to any image hosting services so sorry, no private messaging, Jum. That writing in your title slot comes up as nothing on this older model of my same Fire tablet(it's just an older year, 2018, I believe). So, I'll amend and say some texts using alt codes or fonts can't be read by some older model devices.

Screenshot_2022-06-18-11-27-14.png

The copied part is the format and all the links, yes, but I and I assume the others manually type out a question to every single person we greet. In this exact instance I asked about their favourite fandoms because they said they enjoy fandoms.
Oh hey, hi yes I want to apologize to you. My phone didn't load the images at the time and I didn't know how the forum layout was. I thought the little message directly under your name was the comment because there are tons of places where that's how it's laid out. Your post wasn't nonsensical or anything of the sort, so my apologies. Sorry that I likely came off as abrasive about your message that I didn't even end up seeing until it was pointed out to me. A mix of tech error and user error on my end.

How exactly would you suggest we make things more clear? That isn't mean to be read as sarcastic, I would genuinely like the feedback to see how we could improve things.
All good, I think for one having it in more than one place would be good, people might read something like that, fully understand it, click off, and since it wasn't something like a rule, lose the information because sometimes human brains are funky and pull pranks on us, but also, since you're always gonna have 18 y/o's who have never been on a forum platform before as the years go on, it would probably be best to explain what we might know as "comments" also count as posts, it mentions replying and such, but it's easy to accidentally skip over even if you're trying to take your time to read everything, specifically I think it might be wise add a bullet point in the "often asked questions" things that specifies this. Only because if you're reading through something, you might just remember "well this bullet point basically said this" it just wouldn't hurt to add an extra one with the clarification because then people would go "well, I need three posts to get access to the site" and then remember "Oh the next bullet point said comments(or replies on this forum, whatever), count as posts, I'll go say hi to someone" etc.

Oh hey, hi yes I want to apologize to you. My phone didn't load the images at the time and I didn't know how the forum layout was. I thought the little message directly under your name was the comment because there are tons of places where that's how it's laid out. Your post wasn't nonsensical or anything of the sort, so my apologies. Sorry that I likely came off as abrasive about your message that I didn't even end up seeing until it was pointed out to me. A mix of tech error and user error on my end.

Don't worry about it all, absolutely not a problem for me. Some people read the intros and answer, and some don't and both are absolutely fine, you know? We use our templates to get the rules out there and the info people need, so long as you're good with the rules it's entirely optional whether you respond with us or not. :)

Hope you find more enjoyment in the site now, and as always if you have any questions about things my inbox is always open!

How exactly would you suggest we make things more clear? That isn't mean to be read as sarcastic, I would genuinely like the feedback to see how we could improve things.
I know I wasn't asked, but I will chime in here and say that when You click on a user's name and see "messages" it'd be clearer if it said "post count."

I always associated the word "message" to a DM/PM mailbox type system. Not a post. Don't know what control we have over that, though.

While not directly related, the topic of Replying and the notation that different fonts and character sets can cause problems...

Could we have some standard in place for usernames?

For example: AVA and Feral.

They're both using non-standard characters in their names. Sure, it looks good on a screen, but how am I supposed to @ them if I ever feel the need? Am I supposed to go searching to find out what special characters might actually work if I need/want to tag them in chat or in a post? Sorry, that's too hard and my time is limited - I either won't bother, or I'll try someone else.

While not directly related, the topic of Replying and the notation that different fonts and character sets can cause problems...

Could we have some standard in place for usernames?

For example: AVA and Feral.

They're both using non-standard characters in their names. Sure, it looks good on a screen, but how am I supposed to @ them if I ever feel the need? Am I supposed to go searching to find out what special characters might actually work if I need/want to tag them in chat or in a post? Sorry, that's too hard and my time is limited - I either won't bother, or I'll try someone else.

a trick I use is copy and paste. all modern phones and computers has this ability and any adult that is using the internet should know how to do this. ^_^

a trick I use is copy and paste. all modern phones and computers has this ability and any adult that is using the internet should know how to do this. ^_^
Sure, that'll work...assuming either of them have posts that are readily available for you to be able to perform the copy.

Most people, though, when they want to tag someone would normally expect to be able to type the @ and then keep typing.

Not trying to be argumentative or difficult here - but I like things simple, and having to skim through posts to find a particular person's username so I can copy it so I can tag them is not simple.

Sure, that'll work...assuming either of them have posts that are readily available for you to be able to perform the copy.

Most people, though, when they want to tag someone would normally expect to be able to type the @ and then keep typing.

Not trying to be argumentative or difficult here - but I like things simple, and having to skim through posts to find a particular person's username so I can copy it so I can tag them is not simple.
Well, one might assume that the users with special characters in their names assumed that risk then. Thereby making some kind of overarching regulation rather unnecessary?

You cannot even create a user name with symbols like the two of them use. Just tested out the f feral uses and bmr says nope.

They're likely people close to the owner of the site or something. I doubt others will get special symbols even if they asked.

You cannot even create a user name with symbols like the two of them use. Just tested out the f feral uses and bmr says nope.

They're likely people close to the owner of the site or something. I doubt others will get special symbols even if they asked.
Huh. Well maybe BMR changed it account registration settings at some point. I made this account in 2015 and the ƒ went through just fine. Can confirm there isn't some kind of backroom deal with site owners

For ƒeral, it was definitely before the site changed to Xenforo. While I can't say for 100% sure, if you want a non-standard letter in your name, you're best off asking one of the (active) admins or the like. I can't say if they'll do it, but it wouldn't hurt to try - that being said, non standard letters/ASCII are obviously a bit of a pain to search up for anyone, so staff might deny due to that.

Back
Top Bottom