Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Save Me... Please... [Monster and prettylyksin]

G

Damien groaned as he looked around him. It was still freezing cold. It was still light out. He could see the opening of the cave, tiny from where he was pressed against the back end of the space. Why wasn't the fucking sun going down?! It had been over a month now... maybe two... maybe more! He freaking hated this place! He didn't even know where he was...

As he ranted inside his own head, his stomach groaned loudly. He curled over himself, leaning his head against the ground, closing his eyes tightly. He needed food. Not regular, of course--he didn't eat 'regular food'. He ate something quite--"Argghhh..." He groaned loudly as another painful spasm hit his stomach. "I hate this place!" He informed himself loudly, then cast another glance towards the entrance of the cave. The sunlight was still there, bright as ever, mocking his pain.

Another groan escaped him, though this one was softer. He sat up only to find the room he was in was spinning. His eyes rolled back into his head, his eyelashes fluttered, his hands grasped at nothing. His mind finally shut down after weeks of sickness, discomfort, and horrid sunlight, he was passing out. His vampire stamina was finally failing him. With a thud and a scrape, he landed on the rock floor, shivering in cold, lips blue.

14765.jpg

• "Christian!"

A delicate female voice echoed through the trees, her voice carrying farther than usual, as the snow amplified her light voice. Rowan walked through the forest that had been her backyard all her life. She and her family had lived in the northern most Alaska for generations. The girl couldn't imagine living anywhere but her cozy little cabin where she lived with her mother and grandfather. She didn't know her father. Her mother had said that they had met one Beltaine eve and her darling Rowan had been conceived. She did not even know her father's name. Her mother was a fascinating woman. She believed in the Old Ways of her British heritage. How her family had come to this secluded part of the world, Rowan couldn't say. She knew only that she had lived here the whole of her seventeen years. Being how they were so isolated from the outside world, the only people she had to talk to was her mother and grandfather. And the animals, of course. She always spoke with the animals as though they were truly listening to her.

"Christian, where are you?" She called again, her hands cupping her mouth so her voice would travel even farther. One would have thought she was calling a lost child the way she carried on.

A streak of black appeared in the snow, several hundred yards to her left, and a large black cat mewed at her loudly. Relieved, the girl smiled brilliantly and started towards the animal. "Christian," she scolded it as she approached him. "Where have you been? The sun will be going down soon, you silly animal." Winter was coming and the long months of endless sunshine were at an end. She would miss them. She loved the sun. She reached the cat just as it disappeared into a large opening in the rockface. Curious, Rowan peeked inside. Christian was standing before an unconscious man, clothed only in a thin blue dress shirt and jeans.

"Oh my!" she cried and scrambled into the hollow, falling to her knees beside the man. She struggled to push the man onto his back where she could find if he lived or not. A small gasp escaped her lips as her pale green eyes fell on the stranger's face. He was... beautiful, if you could put that word to a man. She reached out and gently pushed the dark strands of dark from his beautifully pale face. He was so cold! His lips were blue, his flesh cold, she hoped not with death.

Quickly, she pulled the thick woolen shawl from around her waist and struggled to pull his around his lean frame, having to pull him up into her arms. It was not an easy task, he felt as though he were carved from marble. The shawl, already warm from her body, was wrapped, tightly around his shoulders. She looked around desperately, she had to get him out of the cold. She pulled off her furred outer coat and tugged that around him as well. The cold bit at her flesh, but she tried to ignore it the best she could.

"Oh, please, wake up," she cried to him softly, trying to get his arm over her shoulder. Maybe she could carry him home. She managed, with difficulty to pull him to the edge of the cave, and saw, with a wail of despair, that the sun was sinking beneath the western horizon. She would have to carry him in the dark.

She half carried, half dragged him through the snow towards her small cabin. Christian led the way, looking back at the pair every now and again. Finally, after an hour's walk, they reached her home. Her mother was outside, looking out into the trees, a worried frown creasing her face. Rowan called to her, and the older woman raced to her daughter to help her get the man inside, listening as her daughter recounted how she had happened upon him. They carried him inside and put him in the guest room, covering him with many heavy blankets.

Rowan refused to leave the man's side, bringing a chair to sit beside his bed. Her mother knew that the girl would not be deterred, and left her alone, checking in every now and then, and finally to bring a blanket for her daughter. The girl had fallen asleep by the stranger's bed.
          [/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]

Something wet nudged against Damien's forehead. Warm and wet. And breathing. He tried to push the thing away, but found his limbs were firmly stuck to the ground, so he let what appeared to be a black cat nudge at his skin. Too cold... He informed himself sleepily as he saw what looked like a golden-haired angel coming towards him amidst the hungry haze that surrounded him. It's far too cold for this to be real...

While he never did fully pass out, he was mostly there. His arms and legs were useless; as were his senses. He could barely hear a word the girl was saying, nor could he form words in his brain or his mouth to tell her what he was thinking or who he was. The only thing he could really do was take in the intoxicating warmth of her coat and her shawl and her hands on his face... A soft sigh escaped him when she wrapped him up like that. Whether it was happiness or relief, he couldn't even tell himself. But maybe that was just the hunger confusing him.

As she attempted pulling him into her grasp, he let out a small groan of displeasure. It hurt. He tried to help her get his arm around her shoulder because, at this point, he would've done anything for a chance at food, but his limbs were still useless. It was as though a mannequin from a store window had come to life, but only half way. He could think and breathe and see, but he couldn't move. Feeling quite pathetic for a vampire, he allowed himself to be dragged by the poor girl to wherever she might take him.

As his consciousness wavered in and out, he wondered how long it would be until he could taste sweet human blood again. Perhaps if he rested a while he would regain enough consciousness to find someone to taste... He wouldn't drain them to death, he never did, but he would certainly take quite a bite out of them. He almost licked his lips at the thought.

Suddenly, he found himself being turned horizontal. He felt warm air on his face, and a lot of weight on the rest of him. His breathing began to regulate itself, as it had been unsettlingly slow before. His lips slowly turned back to a ripe pink color, and though his cheeks remained pale, they were much warmer-looking than before. After a good night of rest in the warm house, his piercing blue eyes fluttered open and he looked at the plain ceiling of the room he was in, taking in every sound and smell and touch.

"Where am I?..." He wondered aloud, eyes still tracing the pattern of the cracks in the pain on the ceiling.

• The black cat she had called Christian, jumped up onto the bed, looking up at the vampire with dark green eyes, so much like Rowan's own. The girl herself was still asleep, her small body half seated in her chair, her head was resting on her slender folded arms; nestled in the warmth of Damien's blankets. Her hair was splayed around her, a golden cloak of silk. It seemed almost as if someone had taken gold and spun it into strands of hair. The dim light from the lamp cast soft shadows over her features.

The cat sat by the girl's elbow and continued to stare at Damien. It didn't seem to be threatened by the man's presence, but Rowan's mother had always told her that cat's were old souls reincarnated into animals to live a simple life. Christian now looked at Damien with a sense of intelligence that others might have missed. It was almost unnerving, how he stared without blinking.

The girl stirred in her sleep, smiling gently as something she saw and murmured incoherently, her voice a bare whisper. One could scarcely believe that such a petite little girl had carried him all the way from the cave. Now that she was at home, she had retired her thick winter clothes and donned a long modest brown skirt and brown turtleneck sweater. She body was made of gentle curves, the clothing did little to hide her slender body.

Damien sat up carefully as he saw the cat's eyes. "I'm not going to hurt anyone." He informed it in a whisper, so as not to wake the sleeping girl. He spoke as if another person was listening. "I wouldn't bite an innocent when they weren't even having fun themselves." His eyes moved from the animal to the girl who was sleeping so contentedly, arms practically in his lap. It was the angel who had saved him from a horrible eternity of wasting away in that blasted cave.

"Thank you." He murmured, gently brushing a hand through her hair. So soft... He was almost overjoyed that her face was turned towards him. The delicate features were intoxicating, the smile heartwarming. Gentle fingers brushed along her cheek bone, then pulled back almost regretfully. Damien didn't want to wake the beautiful girl; sleep looked so good on her. He carefully moved his strong frame so that he leant on the headboard of the bed.

While he quietly sat, he also watched. Some strength had returned from his resting, so as his eyes sleepily watched the girl, he tested the muscles of his arms. His fists clenched and unclenched, elbows bent, shoulders stretched... Every movement was slow and careful and silent. Eventually, he ran out of things to do and just let himself rest some more, eyes half-closed.

• The room was silent for a long while, the only sound coming from Rowan's deep, even breaths. Christian laid down beside the girl, his small head nestling into her golden locks. No sound came from outside the room. It was quite late, and Rowan's family had retired for the night. Like Rowan herself, they were completely trusting, or they thought that the strange man was too close to death to do any harm to their Rowan in the night.

It was sometime after midnight when Rowan finally began to stir, her eyes fluttering open. She yawned and stretched out over the bed, her hand brushing Damien's cold fingers. Startled, she sat up quickly, staring wide-eyed at him. "Oh," she gasped, her cheeks flushing with color. "You're awake." The usually chatty Rowan sat with her hands folded in her lap, just staring at Damien. He was even more beautiful awake, his eyes like liquid sapphires. She couldn't help but stare. Her first encounter with another human being other than her mother and grandfather, and he was absolutely gorgeous.

Her blush darkened when she realized she was staring. "Umm... what were you doing out there in the cold? You were nearly frozen when I found you." He looked as though it had never happened. His skin was still icy to the touch, but otherwise she couldn't tell he had been out in the snow at all. She pulled Christian into her lap and began petting him absently.

As he watched the girl start to wake, he smiled to himself. What a lovely little creature. She was pretty and cute at the same time--maybe even beautiful. He found his smile growing a bit as she stretched like that, almost like a cat. When she jumped up like that, obviously startled by his touch, he continued to smile. He let the grin disappear, though, so he didn't frighten the girl.

While he didn't know her, he knew that it would be easy to frighten her. She was a trusting little girl who had, most likely, grown up in this horrid wilderness. His eyes searched her beautiful face and, now, her upper body, though the glance didn't last. He was already hungry for her. "Thank you for saving me." He murmured, voice quiet and smooth. Like the music of a saxophone, it had a level of rasp from cigarettes and alcohol, but a level of manly charm stayed with it.

"I can't say I remember why I was there..." That was a lie, he thought, but no matter. He would say what he needed to gain this beauty's affection. "All I really remember is hunger and cold, and of course you. I was almost awake when you found me." He picked up his hands and wrung them as if they would actually warm up.

• Rowan's face grew hot at his gentle smile. She didn't understand why she felt so shy and embarrassed in front of him, or why, when those perfect blue orbs gazed at her, she felt her insides butter. She stroked Christian awkwardly, running thin fingers along his sleek body. The cat cat contently in her lap, purring loudly, though his dark green eyes never left the man in the bed. Whether the he had not understood the man's words, or chose to disregard them, he sat like a silent guardian in the blond's lap.

Rowan smiled shyly at Damien's first words. His voice was like black velvet, and it brought chills to her skin. "I couldn't just leave you out there," she said. "But it was Christian who found you." She lifted the cat, smiling radiantly. "If it weren't for him, I never would have looked in that hollow."

The girl scratched the feline vigorously behind the ears, and it responded, purring all the louder. This seemed to delight Rowan and she uttered a tinkling laugh. She hugged the animal to her. It was obvious that the feline meant a lot to the girl.

She saw Damien's gesture, and leaped to her feet with a loud, "oh!" She pulled the blanket from around her own shoulders and draped it over him. She took his hand, a look of horror passing through her face. "You're still freezing!" she cried in dismay.

When she lifted the cat, Damien reached forward and gently pet the furry little thing behind its ears. He was getting a very bad vibe from the creature and really hoped he wouldn't get bit. After a moment or two he pulled back, and went back to his careful examination of the young beauty before him. She looked so innocent, so pure. He was so distracted that, when she grabbed his hands, his eyes opened a little more with surprise.

For that fraction of a moment, he enjoyed her touch. When she drew away, he released a soft chuckle, having realized what was happening. "No, no... don't worry about me. I've been a little icy my entire life." He informed her, leaving out the part about his death. He had decided not to tell her about his bloodthirsty lineage. It would be best she didn't know until much, much later. As she draped another blanket over him, he reached over and set his hand on her forearm, over her sleeve.

"Please..." He murmured, his eyes the deepest blue of a crystal-clear mountain lake as they stared straight into hers. "Please, tell me your name... I need to know the name of the beautiful creature that saved me..." His hand was not grabbing, fingers not gripping. His hand just rested almost delicately on her arm, because he didn't want to scare her away. A few dark strands of hair fell in front of his eyes, causing his gaze to grow, if possible, more intense.

• She looked down at his hand on her arm. She could feel the cold of his fingers even through the material of her sweater. It couldn't be natural, could it? She kept her gaze on the pale skin of his hand, the flesh was so smooth, avoiding the intensity of his eyes. Those dark blue orbs set her off-balance, clouding her mind and making her nervous. He had called her beautiful. She didn't really know what that meant. Of course she thought her mother was the most beautiful woman in the world, but seeing as granddad and momma were the only people she knew, she had little to compare herself to.

"Rowan," she murmured, still looking at his hand. Her hands were very still on Christian, as though afraid to move. In truth, she was afraid to look at the stranger before her; afraid of what he made her feel. Christian yowled softly, jarring her from her thoughts, and not five seconds later, her mother came bustling into the room. Rowan looked at the cloak. Five o'clock in the morning. Her mother was always awake at this time. Rowan's mother, Deidre, was like an older, mature, version of Rowan, with the figure of a grown woman.

The woman smiled, her green eyes crinkling at the sight of them. "So you're both awake," she announced. "Good. You can help me with breakfast."

Damien continued to search the girl's face. He wanted her to look at him. He wanted that so much... He wanted that beautiful girl's eyes to look into his. His fingers slowly moved from her arm towards her face; he wanted her to look at him and, if she wouldn't on her own, he would give her a gentle... nudge. His fingertips had barely grazed against her jaw, though, when another beautiful woman entered the room. He nearly jumped out of his skin, his hand falling immediately against the blanket on top of him.

"Good morning, ma'am." He said, sucking his composure back in as best he could, as he'd let it spill all over the floor at the feeling of the beauty's warmth against his finger tips. He smiled that dazzling smile at the woman who had just entered the room. "Thank you so much for saving my life. I understand Rowan wand Christian were the ones who found me, but I sure do appreciate being welcomed into your home."

He hoped she didn't really make him eat. Human food made him feel kind of sick.

Back
Top Bottom