Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Let's share some fun facts!

Henzie

Meteorite
Hey, hope everyone is doing well! Is there a topic you know a lot about? Do you want to tell people about it or learn new random information? Well, you're in the right place. Share any random knowledge you want and discuss your special interest. I'll go ahead and start us off.

Fun facts
1: Legs are not what separates Lizards from snakes. Instead, it is the way their ears are formed. Lizards have a complete ear with an external opening while snakes do not! That's how we have legless lizards.
2: The U.S.A Literally has caves full of cheese from subsidizing dairy production.
3: Albino plants do exist but unfortunately can only survive if the species is parasitic or connected to other plants because they are unable to photosynthesize. A great example of this is 'ghost' trees such as albino redwoods which have connected roots to their neighbors.

I'm a Marine Biology geek so I'll share some information I find interesting about some sea creatures.

1. The Lion's Mane is considered the largest species of Jellyfish, only living in the northern pacific, Artic and northern most parts of the Atlantic Ocean. They're also quite dangerous to touch (as you might have guessed but who is going to be going around touching jellyfish lmao). It's also considered one of the most beautiful of the jellyfish because of how varied they can be and the different colors they can come in.

GettyImages-1223464510.jpg

2. Thresher Sharks are one of the few Sharks that attack prey without just going in for a bite. Instead, using their long tail to slap their prey, paralyzing/stunning them so they are unable to move. I always found them to be very fascinating. (They're also not dangerous to humans so if you see one rest easy, even if they look kind of scary!)
SEIFERT.ThresherShark_opt1.jpeg

3. Seahorses and Sea Dragons are the only known species that allows for the male to become pregnant, and this is due to their lack of an immunity gene. The eggs from the female are inserted into the male where they are fertilized, which effectively makes them the baby carries interestingly enough!

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

That's all for Mint's Random Marine Biology Facts today, tune in next week for more content :p

It is possible to have three flushes in a seven-card stud poker game using a standard 52 card deck and no wildcards.

Bus is derived from the Latin word "omnibus", which means "for all".

It's illegal to own just one guinea pig in Switzerland. It's considered animal abuse because they're social beings and get lonely.

Despite the curved appearance of their backs, camels have straight spines. The humps are not skeletal, but are fatty deposits. By concentrating their fatty tissue in one area, the camels can withstand desert heat better than if the fat was evenly distributed all over their bodies.

Babies are just fully baked cream pies.

No one laughed? Okay I’ll see myself out lol

Lanthorn is an archaic spelling of "lantern" because animal horns that had been scraped thin and flattened were used in place of glass in early lanterns.

Sharp Ratio : A measure that indicates the average return minus the risk-free return divided by the standard deviation of return on an investment.

Back
Top Bottom