Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Issue "search keywords were too short"

Ever

Moon
I am trying to do a thread search for the keyword "GM" however it's saying that the term is "too short, too long, or too common". Safe to assume it's the first case. Is there a reason why short keywords aren't searchable? Too many potential results / too long search time perhaps? The problem is that this is an important and highly relevant keyword that can't really be searched otherwise. Typing out the whole word "game master" works in some cases but in many cases (including that of my own GM thread) people just say GM for short. So it seems difficult to do a good search for this atm...

A fundamental limitation of MySQL/MariaDB indexing is it will not index anything shorter than 4 characters.

Xenforo does sell an Elasticsearch plugin I could use, which would let me improve this. It's been primarily a convenience thing, as search isn't really taxing the database currently.

A fundamental limitation of MySQL/MariaDB indexing is it will not index anything shorter than 4 characters.

Xenforo does sell an Elasticsearch plugin I could use, which would let me improve this. It's been primarily a convenience thing, as search isn't really taxing the database currently.
That makes sense.

It would definitely be nice to have this feature, to be able to do a thorough search for commonly abbreviated terms like GM. Currently I will have to make do with similar terms like "narrator".

Thank you for the response.

Huh.

I can give it a shot when I end up restarting the database next. I'll try setting it to 2. I may have been confused with something else.

Back
Top Bottom