Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Best Brushes for Painting Tabletop Miniatures?

MysteriouslyQ

I like girls who like girls~
Hey there folks! I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on good micro brushes that you would use to paint miniatures for games like D&D and Warhammer?

I've recently began purchasing 3D printed miniatures to use as monsters for the campaign I am running. I've been painting them with Warhammer base then adding The Army Painter paints for color. I've noticed on my smaller brushes the bristles keep warping and I'm not sure if I'm just using them too aggressively or if they're cheap (I got a brush kit from Amazon, and then purchased some smaller brushes from Michael's).

I appreciate the feedback - danke!

For really intricate stuff you have micro brushes Micro Swab Applicators (Lint Free)

They don't have to be any of the specific brands above. I tend to use brushes bought from thrift shops and different types of micro brushes. You can also join modelling forums and ask around too.

For really intricate stuff you have micro brushes Micro Swab Applicators (Lint Free)

They don't have to be any of the specific brands above. I tend to use brushes bought from thrift shops and different types of micro brushes. You can also join modelling forums and ask around too.
Thanks for the suggestion!

I've noticed on my smaller brushes the bristles keep warping and I'm not sure if I'm just using them too aggressively or if they're cheap (I got a brush kit from Amazon, and then purchased some smaller brushes from Michael's).
It's that they're cheap. The main thing that will distinguish high quality brushes is that with proper care they will hold their shape and point for quite some time.

When I was into painting a decade ago the gold standard was the Windsor and Newton Series 7. The brush is made with Kolinsky sable, which is about as good as it gets. They're also rather pricey; maybe $10 to $30+ per brush.

It's also important you take good care of your brushes. Avoid getting paint up into the ferrule (the little metal thing that holds the bristles), and make sure to clean them with a good brush cleaner after use (if I remember right I used Pink Soap brand cleaner).

Back
Top Bottom