Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Black Rose Files vol.1

Sour Diesel

Vibe Check
Case Report​

Officer Finch, Tobias
Monday, 2/07/1945 12:32 p.m.
Case number: 101567, Armed Robbery

The arresting officer writing this report has sworn to recount the events as truthfully as he can recall from memory. His word is certified as truth by the Office of Articles and Authority overseen by the High Council of Dominion:

The first thing I heard was the sound of their gun coming loose out of the holster. The suspect, James Arquet, drew on the owner of Circle Mart. James wore a black overcoat and handed a bag to the owner. I was just trying to get something to eat. James didn't see me in the back.

I drew my service weapon and prayed I didn't have to use it. Through the aisles I approached cautiously. James continued to threaten the owner and waved his gun around. I approached.

"Freeze, Dominion Police. Drop the weapon." I said, though I suppose I wasn't very forceful. I was worried about him shooting the owner. I got a good look at him. Skin like worn leather, small beady eyes, and a pair of pinhole scars in his forehead.

The suspect dropped the gun, and as he did so, grabbed the bag of money and bolted out the door. Upon recovery of the weapon, we later discovered the weapon was a stolen prop from a theatre set.

I pursued the suspect out the door, screaming "Stop" as I gave chase. James continued to flee down the adjacent alley. I holstered my service weapon and focused on trying to take the target down. He was unarmed, and I did not believe my life was at risk.

Mitra guides the faithful.

The suspect was starting to outpace me, however. As one of the top field track sprinters from my graduating year, this is not an easy feat. I feel that is worth noting for what happened later.

The suspect emerged from the alley and started running into the street. I followed, near-miss with a rolling taxi, into the next alley that suspect Arquet fled down. It was then that I retrieved my prayer beads.

I began burning the bead in my hand and casting a miracle spell. I spotted one of the trash cans in the alley I ran down and took the lid off. I casted True Strike on myself and hurled the metal lid at the suspect's legs.

Mitra be Praised.

James Arquet fell after the lid made contact. He grunted and started to breathe heavy after running two blocks. I caught up to the suspect and retrieved my handcuffs. I restrained Arquet and searched him. The bag contained 275 crown notes, found after evidence collection.

While waiting for backup to arrive, the suspect threatened the officer's life. He claimed that Tbe Nightcrawler would kill every cop and government official in the city. He also implied this creature would fornicate with my mother before killing her. This was an obvious attempt to anger me into attacking the suspect, but I simply recorded his statements into the record.

Results: This case is filed Green, for CLOSED. It is decided by Divine Justice that James Arquet shall face the courts for his crimes of Aggravated Armed Robbery, Fleeing Custody, and Verbal Assault of an Officer.

Terror Rose​

That was what they called the captain at the Dominion Police Central Command. The facility was a watchtower with a deep dungeon buried under the foundation. This facility hosted the worst criminals in their custody, and one lone guard who oversaw the place. This guard trained Captain Roslyn Harper, Toby's boss.

She had a head of flaming red hair in a bob cut. Her dark blue overcoat had her badge and stars shined to a polish on her chest pocket. She had the most terrifying stare to ever be possessed. Her rage was the thing of legends. In a past life she would have used this power to wield battle axes and wade into combat. Modern life didn't dissuade a warrior's spirit from manifesting.

"Tobias!" Her voice rang out from her office. She had just finished reading his approval stamped report. Not stamped by her, but Inspector Curtz. The lithe blonde cleric staggered into her office. Toby had bags under his eyes like he hadn't slept or been sleeping on his desk. His hair was a mess.

"Yes ma'am?"

"Sir! Sit down!"

"Yes sir." Toby planted his ass in the chair across from her desk. The captain planted her hands on her narrow hips and paced the floor behind her desk. She didn't open her mouth yet.

"Listen, captain if you're upset with how I handled the robbery I understand. I misused city property and casted a spell in civilian territory. I thought it was better than firing my weapon." Toby would keep understanding and apologizing like the yammering quire boy he was if she didn't interrupt him.

"I'm not here to ask you about the case. It's your report. Why did Curtz get it before me?" She asked.

"Uh, he was first on the scene after me. He was riding with a new detective when I made the call, or so he said, sir." Toby answered with a shrug.

Roslyn paused briefly before asking, "Did he have any questions about the Nightcrawler,that thing that the suspect said to you?"

"No sir. He just congratulated me on a clean arrest. Why? He just wanted to get a rise out of me."

"I'm asking the questions here... What do you know about the Nightcrawler?" Her voice got quieter as she spoke. One could even call it her inside voice.

"It sounds like a penny theatre monster." Toby said.

"It is. James Arquet. He got a prop gun for the robbery. Turns out he was a light operator at the Amphitheater. After truth compulsion he was still crying out about the Nightcrawler and how it would exact revenge on the city."

"It's probably nothing, just a mad delusion caused by stress. He thinks a monster is going to kill us? I mean... I'm sorry sir. I don't understand why you're fixated on this."

Roslyn was slow to answer. She lit a cigarette and puffed on it into the dusty ceiling fan. She snapped her lighter shut with a metal flip.

"When are you off duty?" Roslyn asked.

"Seven-thirty. I've got boxing practice tonight." Toby answered.

"Well cancel your plans. Wait for me at the motor pool after work." She said firmly. "Now get out of here and go catch bad guys or something!" Her voice made Toby jump out of his chair and exit her office. She huffed and took another drag of a smoke as the door closed itself.

She sat in her chair and felt a dull pain in her forearm. It got bad whenever she thought about monsters or Black files. It reminded her of when she worked with the creepy old man. It didn't do her well to think about Lautrec at work. It made her feel weak whenever she needed him to bust a case for her. She wished she could live in Toby's naïveté for a moment. The aspiring young cleric officer had promise on her team. She could see it, but also see where he could make grave mistakes.

Tobias had joined the precinct a couple years ago. He managed to keep his nose clean, even after being propositioned by undercover officers. He caused a stir among the clergy when he crossed the aisle to join the police department. There were no civil orders in place to bar this, it was just sort of unusual.

The officer was raised in their orphanage: The Mitra Order of Nuns and Clergymen. It was more often a lost boy turned to crime than become a cop. Most who made it through their teen years and still had love for Mitra became members of the Order.

Toby loved Mitra. In fact he didn't have another woman in his life besides the captain and the Lady of Life, Light, and Purity. The three stars of Dominion's banner were on the uniforms of police, even though the banner had roots in the faith. The clergy saw the way the government meets out justice to be a dirty business, and many such turned their backs on young Tobias, whose reasons for the decision he kept private.

He carried himself like he was invincible. Sometimes he felt like he was with the way he charged into danger, with his chest out confident to face the hardships ahead of him. He believed Mitra's shield would always protect him. A belief he no doubt adopted from his upbringing. That was what worried Captain Harper. Police had to cope with their mortality every time they drew their weapon or had a confrontation that might turn violent. Roslyn hated cops like Toby because they got killed eventually.

He needed a mentor, and it wasn't going to be Roslyn. She never left her desk because she'd likely go on a warpath in the streets. Busywork kept her head on straight. She had to think of a good fit, and scratched her arm again.

"Heh... I wonder if that old bat is awake yet." She looked at the clock. It was almost seven p.m. and the sun was setting behind the west wall. Maybe Lautrec was bored enough to answer the phone.

Squared Up​

Roslyn sat near the motor pool. The white squad car with its gold pin stripes rumbled like a hungry beast. The many cars came and went with regular frequency but a captain had separate parking. She was sitting and waiting for Toby so she could roll up. She felt that anxiety when one thinks everyone is watching her, and judging the fact she was stalling on the side of the drive and not pulling out. The captain growled and pounded her steering wheel. It was 7:45, and Tobias blew her off.

He was where he said he'd be headed. Toby didn't miss boxing for anything except mass. Tonight was an important night for him. Toby was geared up with gloves and headwear.

Two teenage boys the officer met days ago climbed onto the ring canvas. Toby had broken up a beatdown and was teaching them how to defend themselves. They stretched and the elder started showing them proper form.

"It's only to be used in self defense. A well placed punch can kill someone." Toby said.

"What, like a super powerful punch?" One boy asked.

"More like hitting the pavement. Most fighting deaths are caused that way. There's no shame in curling up if it saves the back of your skull."

The boys quietly nodded and were silent. They looked around the officer as someone stormed into the building.

"Toby! You're dead!" A shrill voice made Toby shrink. He didn't think Roslyn was serious when she invited him out.

"You're dead." The boys said while nodding at him.

"Go on. Leave us alone." He shooed the boys out of the ring and Roslyn entered via the steps.

"I can't believe you ignored a direct order. I waited a half hour for you." Roslyn stepped through the ropes.

"I didn't think you were really inviting me out. What I do after I clock out is my time. I had a prior commitment." Toby shrugged.

Roslyn approached him and grabbed his arm. She tripped him with her legs and took him down onto the mat. Toby landed on the side of his head, then felt as his captain wrenched his arm behind his back. He clenched his teeth and seethed in pain.

"I've never, ever said ANYTHING I didn't mean!" Roslyn shouted. Toby strained and moved to get up by the captain was also tying her legs up around his. She was putting him in a submission hold.

"Mitra, I usually pay a night of drinks to end up like this," Toby chuckled. He was enjoying the pain she inflicted on him. "You can tell me that stuff you wanted to tell me now."

She growled and put her arms around his neck and lifted his spine up. Roslyn used her raging strength to try and make him suffer. "I would but I'm too pissed off!" She growled. "Submit!"

"Make me," Toby gushed with a moan that was more sexual than pained. Hearing that made Roslyn sneer in disgust and let go.

"Freak," she said and got off of him. She wiped his sweat off of her palms and took deep breaths to cool herself off. Toby was laying on the mat panting.

"The Nightcrawler... is more than just a myth. Are you familiar with Black files?" Roslyn asked in a calmer, exasperated voice. Toby rolled over and pulled his helmet and gloves off.

"I am but I've never seen one before. All of my cases are either yellow pending or green." Toby said, which was a veiled brag. A majority of officers had at least one red tag a week. Red tags indicated poor performance or cases that were too thinly reported to be considered closed or under review.

"Sure, golden boy. You take the easy routes around the holy districts. Would love to put you in West Quarter and see how your portfolio looks, but then again you don't have a partner." Roslyn leaned against the ropes of the ring.

"The Quarter. They call it Monster Alley in the church. Are there really demons living there? I always thought the priests were speaking metaphorically."

"Yes and no, technically. A pure demon could never break the celestial barriers over Dominion. Their demi-human offspring, however," Roslyn sighed. There was so much to unpack that she couldn't do alone. She wished the bat had answered the phone, even if just to chide her.

"How do you know all of this? How can I know you're telling the truth?"

"Don't you have those truth detecting spells?"

"I didn't prepare one. Their materials are kept under lock and key at the councilor's office. Answer my question."

Roslyn shrugged and bounced against the ropes. "It's classified information. Need to know. I'd have to take you off the beat and assign you to Black Files, but I'd need to put someone with you. Even with a truth spell, your account alone isn't absolute."

Toby reflected on the case he closed today. Under truth compulsion, the suspect couldn't discern reality from fantasy. Now he started to wonder if it really was fiction, the account he gave.

"Two accounts are better, yes. What does any of this have to do with the Nightcrawler being real?" Toby asked.

"The Nightcrawlers real?!" One of the boys had been listening and was at ringside. Toby gasped.

"Of course not! Haha. The captain and I are just reciting lines for the police talent show!" He chuckled nervously.

"Go home kid! SCRAM!" Roslyn barked and the boy ran off terrified.

"Look, you don't have to believe me. Just come for a ride. Do I have to knock you out and stuff you in the trunk?" Roslyn clenched her fist. Toby nodded excitedly.

"Make it hurt." He leaned his cheek towards her. Roslyn groaned and rolled her eyes. Why did he have to make it weird?

The Meeting
Air blew in through the passenger window as the car rolled over the bridge into the west end. Toby didn't venture out to this side of the city because the church told him since youth not to venture that way. For his safety, they said. They told him to avoid joining the police department for that reason too. He hasn't felt welcome in the House of her Light since his brothers and fathers turned their backs on him. Of course he still believed in the truth in her purity and the justice carried in Her name. He just wished his brothers could see the Light like he did.

"You're quiet. Did I knock some sense into you?" Roslyn asked without taking her eyes off the road.

"The Nightcrawler swallows souls. That's his thing, right?" Toby asked. "A human soul has tremendous power. In the hands of a demon it can make them fearsome, insatiable predators like the vampires of old. If this creature was real, the church would've surely found and exorcised it by now."

"So you have been paying attention. You're forgetting something if you didn't know. Nightcrawler has no true face. He's a mass of limbs and mouths. He's teeth and hair. A living cancer bound in human skin."

"You're saying he has some way of eluding the paladins? They're the most highly trained guard in the city. There's no way."

"If he's real, my old friend will be a great help. He's the one who helped me work the Black files when I was new on the force."

"You mentioned your mentor. Said he worked in hangman's grotto."

"That's right. Who better to guard a prison than someone who never sleeps?"

"Feels like I never sleep anymore either." Toby rubbed his temples. He lifted his head and noticed her rear view mirror was foggy. He touched the glass and felt it was icy.

"Are you cold?" He asked the chief and saw her exhale. Toby held his breath looking as the windows all started to fog and ice over. The car engine died and the vehicle came to a slow stop by the curb. He felt a tingle down his spine, and an overwhelming presence of something malevolent around him.

"Toby, just relax and breathe." Roslyn said.

"Hello, Roslyn." A deep voice spoke from the backseat. Through the suspect cage, Toby saw a pair of piercing red eyes. In the dim moonlight he saw a slender, pale face and long grayish-black hair like brushed steel.

Toby was frozen in fear realizing what he was witnessing. An actual living vampire in the modern world, ages after the fall of Artemis. Vampires first ruled a dark and barren world with humans as their cattle slaves. Those were the days before Mitra's Light cleansed the earth. Before humans rose as the supreme leaders over Dominion.

"I got your call." He said and blinked slowly at the captain.

"You didn't answer so I thought I'd go looking." Roslyn said. "Make sure you aren't getting into trouble."

"You're the only one who calls. I know what you want. I'm retired, child. I'm not playing cops and robbers anymore." The pale man in the backseat leaned forward and took a good look at Toby. He could feet the boy's heart beating out of his chest. His fear was palpable.

"I wanted to ask about a closed case, actually. A suspect mentioned The Nightcrawler like he was walking around eating people."

"And you think I... heavens." The man shuddered. He had to lean back and cover his mouth. The urge didn't effect him often but Roslyn had to put the idea in his head. The boy had caused a panic in his chest by getting close. He definitely had been anointed and was carrying a holy symbol.

"I haven't done anything if that's what you're implying. My cravings are terrible but my throat is dry. Please tell me you don't suspect me of wrongdoing." His paranoid tone made Toby gasp. Was it true? That dark aura he felt was coming from this creature born of evil? If he was a serious murderer then he'd produce an aura like this as well. He wasn't certain he was looking at a true undead.

"I don't believe it. Vampires have to drink blood every night or they wither away and die. That's the first thing everyone knows." Toby grew annoyed with the captain. "Are you trying to scare me with this charade? What kind of stunt is this?" He interrogated.

Roslyn couldn't speak. Toby opened the door and got out of her car onto the sidewalk. "Toby!" She called to him.

The pale man was already standing on the sidewalk facing the cleric when he stood up. He was much taller than Tobias and wore a long cloak over his wrinkled black suit.

"Am I supposed to believe the DCPD let a vampire play detective, and even guard it's prison? We're guardians who protect this city, and all I feel from you is pure evil." Toby snarled and balled up his fists around his bead necklace around his neck.

"Look deeper if you wish. You only sense my undead bloodline." He said.

"So you say it's not just an act? How about I channel some holy power and see if you burn, vampire?" Toby clutched the bones in his hand and started to channel Mitra's Light. The so-called vampire's eyes widened and a look of fear flashed across his face.

Roslyn got out of the car yelling, "Officer, stop!" but she was too late to stop the spell being cast. The light only grew brighter. If his target was merely a man this spell might cause slight eye irritation looking directly into the spell. It would heal fresh wounds or help set a broken bone. To the undead and pure evil this spell was a searing pain that sought destruction.

The bead broke and disintegrated into Toby's glowing fist right before he unleashed his spell at the vampire. He felt the spell grow and separate, going in directions around the target like a rippling current.

What the captain saw was, at the moment Toby cast, Lautrec had also cast a protection spell on himself. A protection from good forcefield protected him from the brunt of the assault. It didn't negate all of it. When the dust settled, he was lightly smoldering around his body.

The burns weren't bad but they were enough to draw a scowl from him. Toby felt cold in his chest. He put a lot into that spell just in the hopes he could vaporize a vampire tonight. It seemed like this man brushed it off.

"Are you happy? I bought him that cloak and now it's smoking." Roslyn smacked Toby upside the head. "What the hell is wrong with you? Lautrec St. Leore is a decorated detective. He taught me everything I know, so he also taught you by extension."

"Why did you bring this fledging to me? You... you don't seriously want me to mentor him?" Lautrec pointed at Tobias.

"I don't need a mentor. I need to know what the hell is going on," Toby exclaimed.

"Agreed." The vampire folded his arms and looked to Roslyn.

She finally had their attention. "There was an incident two days ago. A body was found in an Eastpoint apartment, completely drained of their bodily fluids and throat ripped out. Since Lautrec was barely effected by your spell, we can probably rule him out. That's why I want to know about the Nightcrawler and if this rumor holds water."

Toby wanted to know more about this. A murder was serious enough to get him interested but the strange case presentation brought up a lot of questions he hadn't formed yet.

"It's an old story," Lautrec lit a cigarette and stuck it in his mouth. "Humans always have fears of what lurks in the dark. I doubt the literal character stepped out of the pages and started killing. A demon is possible, but a rather sick human could commit the act."

While he spoke it boiled Toby's blood. He could almost taste the killer's instinct being projected by this man. He could've easily committed the act and was covering it up. He could've instructed a human to drain the blood for him. It was too easy to picture this fiend stalking the alley like a cloud of mist, just like how he got into Roslyn's squad car unnoticed.

"I thought he said he was retired," Toby muttered to Roslyn.

"I know how to get his attention. It's like charming a snake." She said. She could already see his mind ticking like a clock while he dragged on his smoke.

"What I'm hearing is you don't believe the Nightcrawler exists?" Toby said. "So that means you can quit chasing fantasies and maybe we work this case like a normal murder?" He asked. Anything to get away from this pale hunter.

"Not necessarily. I said a demon was possible. That's enough to treat this case like a Black file." Lautrec answered. "The probability is too high compared to regular murder. Roslyn did say all of their vital fluids were drained, not just their blood. Am I correct?"

"The coroner's report listed all fluids, yes. The body was described as dry and cracking with severe desiccation. The murder itself took place only a few hours before the body was found."

"Then the probability is very high that this was supernatural." The vampire answered.

Back
Top Bottom