Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Do you speak German? Looking for a chat buddy

Jericho Z. Barrons

Withdrawn
Withdrawn
Hallo! Guten Tag! Ich male gern.

So, recently, I've decided to learn German. I'm doing fairly well on Duolingo and reading German Short Stories on KU but I also want to be able to ask questions to a real person. My biggest weakness is grammar and knowing when to put things in what order in a sentence. Or when to use certain phrases. For instance, what is the difference between "Sind Sie ___?" and "Bist du ___?" ("Are you ___?"). Is it simply formality? Does it change based on who you are asking or the thing you are asking them? I asked this question in a few of the learning German groups I'm in on FB but the mods haven't approved my questions and I'm kinda tired of waiting for answers on that.

So! I thought I would ask here if there's anyone who knows how to speak and write in German who would like to be a chat buddy on Discord with me? I just want to be able to approach someone one on one who can tell me simple things, like the difference in phrasing and why you might say "schwimmt" "schwimme" or "schwimmst" at different times. Because Duolingo is great for me memorizing specific phrases but not in explaining why the usage changes for certain circumstances.

And really, I'd just like to have a buddy that I can practice on. I promise, it'll be amusing and cringey as I stumble through trying to think of the right words to impart what I am trying to say. You might get a kick out of it.

Ich bin sehr aufregend! Hoffe, bald jemanden zu finden!

I, in no substantial way, am a speaker of German. Though I’ve been brought up always under the impression that I am very much German and English. And despite many thinking that German is an “ugly” language…….I disagree! I think it’s quite beautiful.

So, I can’t offer to help in too many ways with this, although if you’d like a sounding board….you know where to find me, doll! Here or Discord, of course.

That being said, I looked up your question about the differences of Sind Sie and Bist du…..hopefully this helps somewhat……

“‘You are’ has three forms: in the single if you're talking about one person (du bist), in the plural for more than one person (sie sind), and in the polite way (Sie sind). Mind the capital in the last form. Also, sie is used for she and for they.”

And here is the link that came from, which may help you further with learning, hopefully, maybe!?

Learn Any Language (German)

Back
Top Bottom