Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Sᴜɴғʟᴏᴡᴇʀs ﹠ ᴡʜɪsᴋᴇʏ ˑˑ ᴰᶤᵍᶤ ˣ ᴺᵃᵘᵗᶤᶜᵃˡ ˑˑ

Bunny

α нeαrт'ѕ α нeαvy вυrdeɴ
Staff member
EAC50677-1045-4E1D-A357-15413DCEC4D7.png
Rising with the sun wasn't something all that unusual on the Riverland Ranch. Not for the family within the big house nor the ranch hands in their neat little bunk houses. For Charlotte those wee hours of the morning when the sun was rising and you could smell the dew on the grass were precious to her. Most days she could be found in the kitchen, making breakfast for her father and their half a dozen workers. It had been her momma's job before he'd passed and Charlie could remember watching her knead the biscuits and fry the bacon. The scents now were like a soothing balm that reminded her of a time long since past when her mother had sung off key while cooking. No one had ever told Charlie to take up the work her momma had done, but with her missing from not only her life but her father's, Charlie had wanted to step up. To fill that hole in their lives and hearts. It brought her peace and made her feel closer to her momma. Humming softly Charlie pulled her white blond hair into a high ponytail, the ends flicking back and forth as she worked the hair tie around and around the heavy weight of her hair. The sun hadn't even risen all the way and she could already feel the heat of the day in the kitchen. It would be a scorcher.

Looking out the window she could see the ranch hands already moving about. A smile played on her lips as she pulled out the dough from the refrigerator. She'd make some cinnamon rolls for the boys and then the normal fixings of eggs, bacon, sausage and biscuits. She worked silently as the sun came up, just the sound of her cooking and the bird song outside keeping her company. Her father had left before she as she had been getting up, something about a fence being down. The smells slowly began to fill the house, baking bread, the salty scent of bacon and the sweetness of maple sausage. Inhaling she smiled softly. She had other jobs than cooking, though she normally made the breakfast while Mrs. McGibbons slept in. She would handle lunch and dinner while Charlie saw to other aspects of the day to day. She would manage the books, order their supplies for the week and help out where the ranch hands would allow. They doted on her in truth, but they were very picky about where they'd let her help. Though, in the end, while she was sweet as could be, she was also stubborn as hell. She was often the one, no matter what they said who broke the new horses. It was a dangerous job, but one she loved. Their ranch was a cattle ranch, though they also raised horses as well.

Setting the food out Charlie moved to the front of the house, ringing the bell that signaled breakfast was ready. Slowly the men started to head towards the big house and she greeted them warmly. Most of them looked at her like a surrogate daughter, niece or little sister. They were warm with her and she doted on them. Made sure they had food, water and lemonade. She also made sure every birthday and holiday to do something for them. A little sign of her love for them. She looked at most of them the way they looked at her. As older brothers, a second dad or a lovable uncle. Everyone... but one. Grant. He had been on the Ranch for almost two years now and Charlie had to admit she fell for him pretty hard. He was handsome, that was for sure, he had cheekbones she would have killed for... but it wasn't his looks that drew her in. It was the way he smiled at her. It hadn't happened right away, but something slow that had built over time. Over countless smiles, soft touches and conversations. He hadn't ever treated her like she would break and she had loved that about him. "Hey Eddie," her voice was husky and sweet as she smiled at the last man to arrive. "Where are my daddy, Thomas and Grant?" A frown worked between her brows. It was the latter she was concerned about. Her father had mentioned taking Thomas to fix the fence, but Grant should have been here. "Oh, Miss Charlie, I think he is with Whiskey.." Her lips formed a soft oh and she nodded. Whiskey was her new horse, a beautiful shite horse with three white feet and one brown. He was having some trouble settling in. "I see. I will go get him for breakfast. Please help yourselves!"

Slipping down the lawn she headed for the barn, her boots getting covered in the morning dew. She had dressed for the day, knowing it would be a hot one. A pair of faded denim shorts and a black sleeveless top. It was one of her favorites, well worn with age and soft to the touch. As she came into the barn she could see both Grant and Whiskey and she smiled. "Why howdy boys." Her face lit up when she saw Grant, as it always did when they were alone. They could steal bits of time, but a life of a ranch hand didn't give much time for free time. Often, their time alone consisted of her asking him to run her errands with her. She did all of the ordering, but at four foot eleven, she needed someone with a bit more muscle than she had to do the heavy lifting. "Didn't you hear the bell?" Her voice softer now as she came towards them. A hand reached past Grant, and she stroked Whiskey's muzzle. "I hear you are up to no good..." Her free hand found Grants and for a moment, her life was perfect.

While this wasn't exactly the life he was accustomed to any more when he showed up two years ago, Grant Olson was no stranger to a bit of hard work and took to working on the ranch pretty quickly just as he remembered. He'd moved away from this slow lifestyle a long time ago and took up a darker way of things, one that he didn't necessarily take pride in. That life caught up with him in bad ways and several decisions blew up in his face, ultimately leading to him needing a way out. A couple of hard conversations and one packed truck with his belongings later, there he had arrived with hat in hand. Charlie's father was a family friend of sorts and was quick to lend a helping hand to one down on his luck, but was also firm in warning him that there was no second chance if he were to squander the opportunity. That was certainly something Grant had no intention of doing.

He worked just as hard, if not harder than the other five hands, and not because he had something to prove but simply because he didn't have anything left but to work. Some of them still had family, kids they visited or they went home in the winter when things slowed down. Grant was always here. Sun-up to sun-down he was busy with something, you could be sure of that. He heard the bell for breakfast, figuring he'd haul in after a little bit but was busy making sure Charlie's new horse hadn't hurt himself and wasn't too worked up after running through the fence early that morning when he was turned out into the pasture. Grant took his eyes away from the animal who snorted and quietly bayed a greeting to the new person entering the barn, though he was careful to keep one hand on the muzzle of the horse in an attempt to keep him calm. Both of the young stallion's front feet were wrapped up tight to help for swelling after all the running he had done so early.

"Yeah, I heard- I figured I'd head up in a few minutes." He answered with a smile as he looked towards Charlie. He offered his free hand to Charlie when she reached out, his hand rough and worked compared to hers as he gave it a soft squeeze. "Think something must have scared him when we put him out this morning, took off running and went straight through the fence. No worse for ware, few cuts but nothing more than what he might get if you took him on the back trails like some of the other horses. He's tough. Seems like he know he done wrong after he wouldn't come back to us." He spoke up more to the horse than Charlie at that point, his other hand running along the side of the horse's face.

Charlie was a bit of a shining light for him, a respite in a maelstrom of bad over the past several years since she was anything but. She seemed to have taken a liking to him pretty quickly, and he couldn't help but like her. The affection grew the more time they spent and while moments like this one were fleeting, the two of them certainly chased the more often than not it would seem. "I'm a little worried about you trying to break him, though." He stepped away from the horse who seemed at ease finally and simply put his head down slightly. "He's just got a wild streak in him like I haven't seen yet." He turned to face her then, giving her his full attention. His attire that day was not much different than any other, a pair of faded jeans and a plain t-shirt. Today it was dark blue, tomorrow it might be grey, the next day it may be white.. but it was almost always jeans and a t-shirt. There was not much else to wear when you worked the way he did. The same pair of boots were on his feet as usual, broken in and comfortable to him, but nearly ready to be replaced. He had another pair in his closet that he had worn on occasion.. almost broken in - those were the replacements on deck. As soon as those became the ones he wore every day, he would buy a new pair and begin the process all over again. In some things Grant was a creature of habit, he guessed. "Yet, no matter what I say I know there's no point in arguing with you because you're going to get on that horse whether I like it or not aren't you?" He grinned at her and shot a playful wink, knowing there were some things that just did not change. "So I won't argue this time and instead I'll just ask you what you've got that needs done today - anything for me?"

A playful click of her tongue as he said he would have headed up in a few minutes. "Keeping a woman waiting?" Her voice held a warmth that went past friendly as she came close. Fingers linking she looked up at Whiskey. "Poor baby." Her words crooned now and she stroked his muzzle, leaning into Grant. Charlie always savored the warmth of his body, the feel of his hand in hers. Perhaps it was silly, but it felt like coming home. Her thumb brushed the back of his hand and she laughed, a right, throaty sound. "Aww, he knew he'd been bad?" Leaning forward she placed a kiss on his nose, her eyes dancing. Turning she looked up at grant. As he started, her eyes narrowed, the humor fading from them. He knew she hated that, even if it was from a place of concern and trepidation for her safety. He meant well, Charlie knew that and she gave his hand a soft squeeze. "I will be okay, Grant." His name was softer, though there was nothing but stubbornness in the set of her jaw and in the bright blue eyes. "Pretty much," she agreed with a smile.

"Shouldn't argue with me ever" Flicking his nose she wrinkled her own at him. His question was given a nod. "I need to go into town. Need supplies for the big house and the ranch. Also Mrs. Jefferies might have some calves that need fostering. Their momma died." Her free hand reached up, brushing a smudge of dirt from his cheek. "Maybe we can steal a few hours, if you could spare them..." They didn't often get much time alone, but when they could the pair would steal a few hours and spend it alone. So far, it hadn't gone too far, talking.. Charlie was ready for more, but knew they had to be careful. While she might not be ready to give up her innocence, a kiss? God she wanted him to kiss her. It wouldn't be the first time she'd wished for that, nor the last. If he couldn't spare a few hours, she'd understand. It was often the case.

Shifting, she stepped away from him, gently tugging him to follow. "Go get breakfast, I will tend to the bad boy while you eat. You can come back and get me when you're finished." As if she didn't want to let go of his hand, her fingers lingered as she pulled them free. Humming softly, friends in low places, she moved to get the brush. While Whiskey wasn't in love with the idea of being ridden, there was one thing the Stallion loved more than anything else. Being brushed. It was a way for them to bond without stressing him. Her voice was rich and sweet as she began to sing. Whiskey's ears flicked forward and he knickered happily, prancing in his stall. Charlie was nothing if not able to handle her own. Her small from climbing the door of his paddock, one leg over and then the other before dropping in with him. Using the brush as a microphone, she sang to him. Not many got to see her this free, Grant was one of the few.. Dancing in place she began to brush out Whiskey. Fingers careful over his scrapes. He had did a number on himself, but Grant had been right, he'd be fine.

"What spooked you handsome?" He'd hear as he left.

He did know that it was not worth arguing with her. He could see the look on her face already. It wasn't even a battle worth starting. "Well, lucky for you - since something spooked the young'n back there.. your old man thinks we've got predators trying to get after the calves. I've gotta go into town and get some things to take care of that myself, so I supposed you and I can both make a trip into town and take care of our business together, I'm sure there's no problem there. And if there are calves that need fostering this is the only place they can go for a couple of counties, right?" He was fairly sure they were the only ranch with the space, time and proper knowledge and folks that cared enough to raise more head.

He scrunched his face up when she reached up to wipe dirt off of his cheek. Despite the reaction, he was actually quite pleased at the thought of her touching him. He was rather affectionate as a person, it just didn't come out often. They never did seem to get moments like this - they worked on a ranch after all. There was always something to do. Grant wasn't exactly relishing the idea of hunting predators on a ranch this large, not by himself. Maybe a long time ago, being out on a piece of property like this in the middle of the night by himself would have been exciting but now.. it was a touch unsettling in concept. It had to be done though, he and the others were all mostly in agreement that it was coyotes but the odd suggestion that it could be a group of wild hogs was not the least bit exciting. "Yeah, yeah-.." He responded and shook his head as she bid him to run off and go get breakfast while she played caregiver for the horse - more like coddled him after he'd caused them all a bunch of extra work that morning.

He stopped a few steps out of the barn, stepping just out of sight to listen to her singing while she brushed the horse. Her voice carried just enough out of the barn that he could still hear her quite clearly from outside. He didn't linger long, smiling at himself and shaking his head as he headed up towards the big house where breakfast was ready. As he stepped on the porch he made sure he didn't look like he'd just been talking to his sweetheart from seventh grade, wiping the smile off of his face and assuming the stoic look that the ranchers all seemed to adopt as their daily wear. He quickly fixed a plate of breakfast and sat down to eat, catching up with a few of the other hands that were finishing up while he just sat down. There was some small talk and he asked a few questions about the livestock trailer just so he knew where it had been parked last and whether or not it was clean. Thankfully this time it was, so there was no real prep needed to get it ready to pick up the calves Charlie had mentioned.

With breakfast finished, he grabbed the keys to one of the newer trucks, a privilege he had earned for being one of the more reliable hands. It wasn't brand new, but it was a bit nicer than the late models used to haul around the farm - and it certainly wasn't the one that seemed to never move that her old man had just recently bought maybe a year ago. Regardless, it ran without issues and hauled the trailer without problem no matter how many head they had. He headed down to the barn first, knowing that this would be some of the quietest time that he might have with Charlie. He slipped inside and towards Whiskey's stall where she said she would be, knocking on the wooden gate outside of it lightly a few times to get her attention. "Knock, knock- I've got the keys to the truck, so we can hook up the trailer and go whenever you get ready. I've got to take a bit of a night shift tonight so at some point I'll have to get a little bit of sleep." He wasn't quite sure he'd explained that to her, nor was he sure she would be very happy about him being up through the night in the fields either, but she certainly got her stubbornness from her dad and he knew not to argue with either of them.

The idea of him hunting predators never seemed to sit well with Charlie. Oh, she understood someone needed to do it and that it was vital for a ranch their size. There was no way to avoid predators and loosing a calf or worse a fully grown cow would be an expensive loss. Naturally they lost some, it was unavoidable, but it always resulted in someone being sent to hunt the beasts. It had never bothered her, not really until the first time Grant had been sent out. It had been a week after her fledgling crush had taken root and she had been on edge until she saw him the next day. Safe and sound. It wasn't uncommon for the predators to hunt them back. Casualties were not normal, though injuries could be. Though, like he had given up on stopping her from breaking the stallion before them, Charlie knew she couldn't ask him not to go. Firstly, there was no way to get him out of it... Her father wouldn't budge once he assigned a man to do something and while her daddy might know she had a crush on Grant, asking him to send someone else would confirm it and Charlie wasn't sure what that would bring. Charlie was a grown woman and her daddy like Grant, but that didn't mean he'd approve and if the other men got wind of favoritism? More than that though, Charlie wasn't sure how Grant would feel if she mothered him, got him reassigned. She never would, she knew he could handle himself... But knowing that didn't stop the worry.

Pulled from her thoughts she nodded slightly. His question being the catalyst for jarring her from that reverie. "Yeah, we are the only ranch really equipped to handle them. Petterson could, I suppose, but they run on a tighter budget than we do..." Her voice trialed off. Their ranch was by far the most prosperous one for several counties. There were smaller ranches, but they didn't have nearly the capacity or manpower to easily take on more. Charlie smiled at him, a soft curl of lips as she looked up at him. "Sounds like a plan." her voice had lost that distracted tone and she squeezed his hand. "Go on, get." She nudged him off and turned her focus to the horse before her.

Charlie was good at what she did, despite everyone preferring she didn't break the horses. She had a gift though, a natural instinct. She knew when to push, when to back off... But more than that, the horses loved her. Naturally, she babied them and that helped, but she had an affinity for horses and they seemed to know that. Singing as she began her work, she took her time looking him over. Of course she trusted Grant, but it was habit. These stallions and fillies were hers and she knew them, their mannerisms, their hurts like she knew herself. So she brushed Whiskey down and sang to him, checking his injuries, pleased at the care Grant had taken to tend to him. You could tell a lot about how a man took care of a horse. Lost in her own little world, time flicked past her like the flicking of Whiskey's tail. Constant, but never ending and when she heard Grant's voice she looked up from her work. In the heat of the barn, her skin shimmered slightly, making her pale skin glow.

"I'm ready now," Charlie said with an easy smile, though that smile faltered some as he continued. Charlie wasn't stupid, she knew exactly what he would be doing. It was bad enough during the day, but at night? Her lips formed a hard line, but she said nothing. There was little point, Grant knew she wasn't happy about the situation, berating him wouldn't do her any good. It was his job. Stepping away from Whiskey, who could tell she wans unhappy, giving a nervous kicker and danced in place. Turning to him she gave his nose a kiss. "Shhh, everything is okay." While it didn't ease all the tension from him, he calmed slightly as she slipped from his stall.

"Grant?" When he looked at her, Charlie took a deep breath and gazed up at him. She could ask him to come closer, naturally.. but it wouldn't be as pleasant as what she did next. They were still alone, at least for the moment. Crossing the short distance between them, she reached out, grabbing a handful of his shirt. Pulling him into her, she rose on her toes, her mouth pressing against his. In truth, Charlie was tired of waiting for him to kiss her. She wanted that kiss... Her mouth was soft and willing against his, even if the kiss was chaste. The slenderness of her body had pressed against him as she had kissed him, her hand still tightly curled in his shirt. Slowly pulling back, her lashes rose as she looked up at him. "You are slower than molasses and I couldn't wait any longer for you to decide you were ready.." Her voice was husky and warm. The sound of boots on the gravel outside had her releasing him and stepping back. "I will meet you at the truck and we can get goin'" This was said with a forced casualness and she pushed past him, her body brushing against his as she headed for the truck.

Inside the cabin, Charlie brushed a finger against her lips, a smile curling on them. This would be a fun ride into town. She had left Grant standing there like a statue, a slightly bemused look on his face. There was one thing Charlie knew now... She wanted to kiss him again. Her smile grew as she looked towards his door as it opened, her eyes dancing. "Ready to go?" Charlie felt giddy as she smiled at him.

While it was plain to see that Charlie wasn't happy about him being the one chosen to go predator hunting in the middle of the night - the decision had already been made by her old man. It was not clear whether he was picked because he was the most trusted or because he was the one closest to Charlie, but it mattered little to him. He was paid to do a job and intended to do that job. At the sound of his name, he was a bit puzzled - not sure why she was trying to get his attention in such a way. He looked down at her, and it seemed like he had fallen right into the trap she laid for him. He was met with the feeling of her hand finding a handful of his shirt. His eyes lit up when she kissed him, his frame relaxing as he let out a quiet 'Mm..' noise at the feeling of her soft lips against his own. His eyes fell shut slowly and he enjoyed the embrace for the short while that it did last, a bit lost for words when she finally pulled away. His lips parted as if to speak when she did, but he couldn't quite find the words before she spoke up. Her words wrought a chuckle from him and he shook his head - he was being cautious more than anything.. but he had been taking his sweet time making any real moves.

He stood there was she walked away, still mildly stunned from the kiss and wishing it hadn't ended, really. He turned to watch her walk away, then turned back to the young colt in the stall. "
Whiskey, that girl is crazy, you hear me?" He chuckled and shook his head at the horse as if he understood him before starting to walk out of the barn and follow Charlie towards the truck. When he got to the truck he found Charlie already inside the cab and waiting for him, so he didn't waste much time getting in the driver's seat and starting the engine. He shot her a glance, a smirk on his lips as he put the vehicle in gear and pulled away from where it was parked. "Slower than molasses? C'mon it hasn't been that bad-" He laughed and shook his head, reaching for the radio to adjust it to a station until a familiar song started to slip through the static - Blake Shelton's 'Ol' Red' coming to life in the cab of the truck and he immediately started to sing along to each and every word. He drove to another part of the ranch where the cattle trailer had been left, seeing a few hands having just finished cleaning it and backing up to it. As he did, they guided him and he didn't even have to get out as they helped him navigate the truck beneath the fifth-wheel hook-up and secured everything. A few moments to check blinkers and lights and they were off in a cloud of dust kicked up from gravel on the long, meandering driveway that led off of the property.

"
So, where are we headed to first?" He spoke up as they pulled out onto the main road into town. As it was, it wasn't much - just a simple two lane road that wound and wound for several miles past the ranch before it turned into neighboring farms and ranches and then finally a long stretch of nothing but untouched trees before what was considered town to them. If you blinked, you might miss it really. There was a little diner, a post office, one bar and pool hall, a family owned grocery store and butcher shop, a single gas station and a rather large feed store. The latter three of the list were the most important of the facilities really, well - besides the police station. It was hardly a police station with how much the game warden actually spent time there, but the local sheriff surely appreciated the extra help and authority from someone like the more experienced official. There was always something happening out here that needed attention from the warden, so it was always a good idea to know whose property you were on and whether what you were doing was legal. No matter her answer, the direction could only be one way so the diesel engine came to life as he pushed his foot down to the floor and watched the sides of the road. He did, however, reach over with one hand and find one of hers to let his fingers tangle with hers and give her hand a squeeze. It was not often the two of them had time like this together, so he did intend to enjoy this little bit of an escape from the day's usual work with her.

In the cab of the truck she touched a finger to her lips, hearing that pleased mm in her head. Charlie had felt him stiffen and then instantly relax into her kiss and it made her smile like a damned fool. Biting her lower lip she fought to keep that smile of hers growing. He had been so slow, but she could also understand the reasons. If it mattered, she was his employers' daughter. Hell, there wasn't anyone in the county that didn't know Charlotte. She was the kinda girl you couldn't help but like and naturally the people of the county kept an eye on her for her father. So there could have been that, but maybe he thought moving too fast wasn't his style... which was fair, yet he had been moving at a glacial pace. Charlie was quite happy with the way he'd reacted and the stunned silence she'd left him in as she headed to the truck.

The door opened and she tilted her head to the side, looking at Grant as he slipped in beside her. Her brows lifted and she smirked. "No? What would you have called it?" her eyes danced with joy as she let her eyes fall forward. "You made the lady make the first move, after all.." The warmth in her voice was clear as she teased him. The music started, Charlie let herself relax back against the seat. She watched the men hitch the trailer in the side mirror, humming in tune to the music. Once they were ready to go though she gave them wave as they drove off. The country began to rumble by and as they turned onto the main road Charlie smiled at him as his hand snagged her own and she gave his hand a squeeze. "Well that depends.. Can you play a little hooky with me?" She loved the feel of her hand in his, it was silly, perhaps, but it felt right.

"If so, let's make a detour down to the lake.. We can go for a swim. If not, I think it would be best to get all the feed we need before picking up the babies. They will be scared enough." Charlie was okay leaving the choice to him.. He knew what he had time for, while hers was less ordered. She had no plans beyond swimming with him and perhaps stealing a few more kisses. Innocent enough, though Charlie couldn't help but wonder how her daddy would take it to know they were becoming more than friends. It was a worry.. Though a distant one. Grant was a good worker and while he might not favor her falling for a ranch hand, he had little say where her heart fell. Her head fell to the side and her eyes watched his profile as he drove. Grant was far too handsome for his own good.. "Your pick though, darlin'"

If he was being honest, he couldn't remember if he'd ever considered skipping a day's work on the ranch. His focus had been so narrow that some of the simple pleasures had been a bit lost on him. Surely if this one occurrence didn't become so regular that it interfered with the quality of his work it would be okay, right? He looked over at her as he drove, one hand on the wheel and the other holding onto hers still. They weren't necessarily on a set schedule.. just had things that needed done before sundown. "Well.. that.. that really don't sound like too awful of an idea to be honest with you-" He turned his eyes back to the road as they reached one of the many caution lights they'd pass through on their way into the little bit of civilization that would be called town before making it into the more developed suburbs and then the city eventually. Normally the route would continue onward, but this time with the lake in mind he let his hand drift down the steering wheel and took the wide left turn with empty trailer in tow to head down the long two-lane road that would take them to their new destination.

The lake sat north of the small town and well away from the ranch, and he was not at all unfamiliar with the body of water but it wasn't swimming he did most often but fishing more than anything. "We'll go up here and spend a while since we don't usually get any time to ourselves.. Just gotta make sure we get to town before the feed store closes so we can get everything we need." He nodded over at her and gave her hand a squeeze to confirm his statement again. The longer they were on the road, the narrow it became and the less trees passed them by as the scenery opened up. Eventually he pulled the truck to a stop at a spot that seemed good enough - also secluded enough that the two of them would have at least the idea of privacy. There was still the idea of word getting around about the two of them and making it back to her father and his boss, something he wasn't sure was a good thing yet.

The gentle rumbling of the diesel engine cut and he reached for the handle of the door to open it, stepping out and stretching as he looked out at the water. It had been a while since he'd been to the lake just to be at the lake. "Well, here we are-" He spoke up as he opened her door for her, helping her to her feet next to the cab of the truck. Once she was firmly on her feet, his hands found her hips and he leaned in to let his lips find hers - something he had been waiting to do again since she had ambushed him back in the barn. The embrace was careful, but not overly so as he pressed his lips to hers for a long-awaited second kiss.

A soft smile curled on her lips as he said it didn't seem too bad an idea. Much like Grant, Charlie wasn't one to play hooky. There wasn't really any place for it on the ranch and while she wasn't a farm hand, like Grant, no one could accuse her of not pulling her weight. There were some factors, namely her father that kept her from doing more. The men wouldn't let her push herself either, not like they did to themselves. It left her to care for them instead, to help ease their burdens where she could. Though, even then, they'd let her bring them a drink or a meal, but help wrangle a steer? Less likely. The most they'd let her do was help repair a fence normally, and even then, they were like mother hens. Cute, but unnecessary. The truck turned and she shifted in her seat, eyes on the window as the country slipped past. Her eyes flickered to him and she gave a soft snort. "I wouldn't get you in trouble.." She knew that hadn't been an accusation, but if they started doing unexpected things, it would raise questions. Questions likely neither of them would want to answer.

Charlie was the apple of her daddy's eye... his little darling. She was pretty sure he thought she didn't date (she didn't), but also that her eyes would turn to one of his men. Most of them were too old for her, others treated her like a little sister. Grant was quiet and reserved. Likely unassuming.. But it was part of his appeal to her. That and the way she caught him looking at her when he thought she wasn't watching. It made her heart race. Returning the squeeze, Charlie smiled softly. "I can set an alarm on my phone, just to be safe." This was offered as a promise as they pulled up to the lake. It's calm blue water stretched on for as long as the eye could see. The beach was a mix of sand and pebbles, water lapping lazily along it. His door opened and she watched him with a small smile as he stretched, admiring the view. Her eyes trailed him as he came around to her side, her door opening and the warm air brushing her skin as he helped her from the cabin. Before exiting, Charlie set the timer as promised, slipping it into the pocket of her shorts.

Feet planted firmly on the ground, Grant leaned in and she shifted, arms twining around his neck as his lips lowered to hers. A soft sigh left her and she pressed her smaller body against his. It was a chaste kiss, all things considered, but there was no reason for them to break apart guiltily now. His scent enveloped her, woodsy, cedar mostly and some spice she couldn't place. Her cheeks heated as a darker, sweeter thought came into her mind. Smelling like him, how she would... slowly she pulled back, her lips a bit flush from the kiss. "Mmmn, I suppose that was worth the wait." Her nose brushed his, teasing, playful before she stole another sweet kiss, slipping through his arms as her shirt was lifted above her head. The fabric fell in a heap as she wiggled out of her boots, and then her shorts. Left in her underwear, it didn't leave much to the imagination. The fabric along her rear was sheer, with little pale teal flowers stitched into the nude fabric. Little white lines added to the design, distorting the view slightly. Her bra wasn't much different and it wouldn't be hard, if Grant looked to see the pink of her nipples through the fabric. Humming softly, both were discarded as well before she slipped nude into the water. His only indication would be a soft splash as she swam out, her hair bleeding into the blue of the water. The white blonde of her hair turning silvery. Chuckling, she gazed up the bank at him. "Going to join me or stand there like a bashful statue?"

Back
Top Bottom