Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

[WB] Other Earth

Disclaimer: None of these images are mine and I don’t take ownership of them.

The year is 2110.

How did we get here? Climate change has taken its toll on the surface of the world and drastically changed many areas. The ensuing wars did the world no favors either, resulting in sunken cities, barren wastelands, sandstorms, hurricanes and tornadoes, as well as cloudy skies and the sun being blocked throughout. You would think that this would simply be the end of humanity, but no. It was the arrival of “aliens” that changed everything, no doubt marking the most important day in human history.

They came in April, and they instantly arrived with gigantic, metallic rings that only grew outside our Earth. They sucked up all of our space junk, our satellites, and rendered them into nothing. It didn’t take long for contact to be established with the important governing bodies of the world, and eventually we learned that they were a lot like us - more than we gave them credit for. The catch? Technically speaking, they weren’t even from our universe at all. They were human, as they claimed, and they were from an alternate Earth.

That was the beginning of our Earth’s indoctrination into the new unified path to being a subservient Earth to these visitors. In a way, we were a colony, but most people believed sincerely that anything was worth saving us from the horrible fate we had now. Some resisted and fought against being a part of something bigger, choosing instead to stay on the ruined plains of Earth instead. Everyone else, however, began work on the construction of the giant pillars that held up the megastructure surrounding the Earth and gave the mass migration of people into the upper atmosphere a new life.

The overarching man-made ring around the world, made with the help of alien technology, gave us a new chance to wait out the exceedingly long time that climate change would reverse, all while giving more effort into resurfacing. At least, that would occur whenever the storms and troubles died down.

7vlv43mw0so81.png

This is the large mechanical hub situated above the Earth in the year 2110. Obviously, all of these resources, materials, and the science going into building it could never have been procured without the help of those who came from us offworld. Here, there are megacities, power plants, schools, and all the resources people would need to live their new lives up here. This also means that work never ends for people, as an influx of scientists, paramilitary forces, expeditionaries, mechanics, and more are trained and educated before taking up jobs in the ring.

There’s a comparatively small subset of people who have clearance to actually interact with those ambassadors from “the other Earth,” especially since they usually appear wearing odd clothes that cover their whole body from head to toe. Some say they’re creepy. Others say they’re simply unable to breathe the same air as us. It’s doubtful, but they’re definitely very prudish about being seen. Meanwhile, they’re working in tandem with the newfound technology of the other universe’s Earth, including creating an efficient enough power source to allow our world to open up new gates to other Earths as well. Labeled as Project Jacob, it could be the future of our world. The future of humanity.

thumb-1920-249311.jpg

67330d4c29de0e1b01dc5227273e36a3.jpg

The surface comes in many colors. Submerged lands, dry barren wastelands, sandy areas, city ruins, areas drenched in rain year-round - they’re all harsh in their own way. While Babel doesn’t have much contact with the surface, with the exception of strongholds and large states guarding the Pillars, there are still plenty of pockets of survivors and communities braving the apocalyptic lands. Some of them were outlaws or exiles, others descended from those who simply chose not to go up to Babel, while others are those who distrust the idea of another universe.

Regardless, they carved out their own claim to the Earth themselves, and sometimes when the ring above them shoots down their unnecessary waste - in pods that collapse into the Earth’s surface - there are always scavengers ready to see what goods are available for the taking.

thumb-1920-489533.jpg

The other Earth is a very advanced world, to the point where they have God-like technology. They’re very enigmatic, extremely religious, and at times off-putting to those who haven’t seen them before. They’re extremely prudish, oftentimes dressing head to toe in garments that cover them, even covering themselves with very complicated masks resembling skulls. They say if people from the Other Earth ever have to go to the dentist, they have segments of their masks that come off to expose their mouth, but the whole mask doesn’t yet come off. The only part of them that they’re comfortable showing to others seem to be their hair and eyes.

This is of course odd, as most things from the other world are extremely human-like to the point where it may be uncomfortable. Whether it’s something akin to forniphilia or just the general culture of their world, they have human features and statues everywhere. Part of their furniture, bleeding fountains, and even the clothes on their bodies are adorned with features such as little trims along the torso to keep parts of their clothes affixed that resemble ribs. The most striking of course would be these odd, multi-purpose packs they wear around them, which can resemble pitch black human mannequins with their arms wrapped around their figures, whose faces glow and project holograms if needed. The extra arms are mechanical, but they literally come in handy (pun intended).

Needless to say, they are extremely religious. Technically, you could say they're Christian, but their faith and practices are quite a bit different, if unknown. Something about them being drawn here to this Earth like kindred spirits is something not to take lightly. It might be nice to have a sense of camaraderie with them, that is if they consider us on equal footing. It might seem strange that they popped in and gave this world a bit of a fix, but is it so hard to believe? To them, people joined the United Nations, they all came together for a cause, all while being part of something to take on the bigger picture. In their eyes, it's no different when they come to this world with their own ideas of Manifest Destiny, making something new and incorporating this world under their umbrella. It's not a bad thing, especially when this world was on the state of despair... right?

There’s a lot to unpack for those living in this weird future. The idea of there being a separate Earth yet unseen by many, and the promise of a new gate being opened to lead them into another universe - and another Earth - is still a lot to take in. Still, with more colonization comes a more bountiful future.

I know this is all over the place, but this was an idea that I wrote back and forth with another roleplay partner who unfortunately had life come up and didn’t actually get the ball rolling with me. I still really loved the ideas we brainstormed and I thought I should get it here. Now, it’s definitely barren compared to other worldbuilding ideas but I see it as room to grow. I can’t deny that I simplified it a ton, though. I just hoped to get something posted to give a show of my writing, too.

Back
Top Bottom