Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The use of extras in 1x1 roleplays

WanderingBlackDragon

World Hopper
Okay, so I was going to try to write a series of novella for a set of characters I'd been developing for a few years. Lately, I've decided to discontinue these ideas because of a myriad issues that kept popping up.

So, I've decided to reserve one character for roleplaying, especially 1x1 roleplaying. But, here's where my issue comes up, and I'm not sure if it'll all make sense at first.

In my plans for the novella, my solo character was going to be in a poly relationship with three female characters I'd also developed. However, since I'm now using this solo character for roleplays, especially ones involving romance/erotica, I'm not sure what to do with these three female characters.

I've had ideas about using them as extras: If I find a partner who's interested in a polyamorous romance, I could use one or more of the female characters to fill in the blanks. This is meant to help with character creation, as well as take some of the strain off the both of us from having to manage and play multiple characters, by simply sharing these extra characters.

But, lately, I've been wondering if this is even a viable idea. Especially since that could mean asking my partner to play a premade character, which I've gotten a few rejections over.

At the moment, I'm just seeking food for thought, as I'm trying to decide what to do with a bunch of characters on my hands.

As you yourself pointed out, asking someone to play a premade oc to your mc is gonna be a tough sell, yeah?

Instead, since it sounds like you are leaning plot-heavy anyway, maybe considering using these characters to flesh out the plot?

Sprinkle them in for bits of flavor. For example...

Let's say the main quest is retrieving an artifact.

Your character (C1) and your partner's character (P1) are looking for a hint. Maybe a mysterious letter arrives, and C1 & P1 follow it to a rundown warehouse, where they meet up with C2 (one of C1's lovers). Tiny bit of flashback. P1 get to interact with C2. C2 helps them to advance the plot...

You now just fleshed out C1 more, and offered something interactive for your partner. Boom.

As you yourself pointed out, asking someone to play a premade oc to your mc is gonna be a tough sell, yeah?

Instead, since it sounds like you are leaning plot-heavy anyway, maybe considering using these characters to flesh out the plot?

Sprinkle them in for bits of flavor. For example...

Let's say the main quest is retrieving an artifact.

Your character (C1) and your partner's character (P1) are looking for a hint. Maybe a mysterious letter arrives, and C1 & P1 follow it to a rundown warehouse, where they meet up with C2 (one of C1's lovers). Tiny bit of flashback. P1 get to interact with C2. C2 helps them to advance the plot...

You now just fleshed out C1 more, and offered something interactive for your partner. Boom.
Damnit, now I'm not even getting emails of replies.

Well, since posting this thread, I've decided to keep the extra characters in the set I want to reserve for writing stories.

I've used extra characters in 1x1 RP's before. It can open up the story and possibilities and sometimes it just helps push the plot along.

I see extra characters as NPC's (Non Playable Characters) this means that although they are referred to and written about, it's not the same as the main characters. You just get their actions, responses etc without them really becoming as important as the 2 mains.

You can also make it that the NPC's are shared characters that either partner can utilize as required. I have never had a problem with bringing extra characters in but then I guess it depends on how much you have developed them and how strict you are on how they are played.

Back
Top Bottom