Yesterday I was a Hero. Today I am a freak. (Halo inspired ex soldier story)

Evo Var

Supernova
The thoughts of an ODST who help pick up a few of the Spartan 3s. (Halo universe)

So these were the expendable suicide troops, the colonial cannon fodder. Dam, they were teenagers. None of them could have been older than eighteen. They were just regular-sized kids. One of the girls was so smalled and fresh-faced that she didn't look old enough to be out of school, let alone given firearms. She stared at Vaz like a malevolent ferret and didn't say anything. And we're the good guys are we. They stared back at him. Edgy was an understatement.
9c647e1fc38bf77a3e9f751ce1f3fe5b.jpg

So this is heavily inspired by Halo specifically the Spartan-III program. These soldiers were recruited from a pool of Orphans who survived Covenant attacks on human colonies. Given the chance to get revenge on the covenant they spend years training and then end up going through augmentations similar to those of the Spartan-II candidates. These Spartans are meant to be used on suicide missions that are too dangerous to waste ODST or Spartan-IIs on. These missions are behind enemy lines and many of them have a less than 1% survival rate.

Those who survived would have to make it to cloaked extraction vehicles before their power cells depleted to make it back to friendly territory again. As the units got smaller, a few survivors were made into Head hunters. Two-man assassination squads are sent to take out high-value targets in the same high-risk environments. By the end of the war, I think about ten thousand of these soldiers would have been trained. At the end of the war, I am thinking only a thousand, if not less, survived.

I want to explore what it is like to be fifteen to twentyish having to try to find a place in the world(s) to fit in when they can barely remember anything before they choose to dedicate their life to revenge. How does someone that young and broken who has accepted that they would have a short and painful life deal with living an entire lifetime?
56447317870a7b7b15779ef9b27e5ba5.jpg

Three young faces looked up from the back of a civilian warthog to watch a pelican as it briefly flew over the treetops. They all shared a look before going back to checking the M7 SMGs each grabbed from a rack-mounted in the back of the warthog. "No markings, but it looks like it was stripped of its heavy munitions."

Jack slid a magazine into the smg and then checked the clasps on the body armor he had grabbed. "So not UNSC then. Hopefully, it's just a trader who got their hands on some surplus equipment. Maybe we can get our hands on something better than these Confetti Makers."

The other three youths in the warthog laughed and even the older woman driving the vehicle joined in before she spoke up. "Remember kids, we are just going down to give the sheriff some backup if he asks. Best to stay out of sight until we get a call or the lead starts to fly." The smiles were wiped off their faces as they were reminded of the awkward situation they were in. Things had been fine for about six months, everyone had just assumed Jack, Alex, and Brianna would get some awkward looks whenever someone saw a few of their scars or they acted a little too much like the soldiers they had been.

All that changed when the colony got news of the Spartan program. They had not been kidnapped but like the twos but they were still child soldiers. Things had gotten awkward after that so the three of them spent most of their time up in the foothills trying to set up a homestead and just trying to learn how to be normal. None of it would have been possible if it weren't for Kendra who acted as their go-between. Since she was an ODST most of the colonists treated her like a person and the few who resented the UNSC were smart enough to leave her alone.

This was the first chance the threes got a chance to show that they could be helpful to the colony. None of them were afraid of a fight but they were all nervous about making a bad impression.

Possible pairings for this would be:
Soldier X Spartan
Colonist X Spartan
Mechanic/engineer X Spartan
Supersoldier X Spartan
Anything you can come up with.

I am open to writing male, female or non-binary characters which is why I didn't bother tagging the thread.

Feel free to pm me if you are interested in discussing this idea.

Last edited:
Bump added a few images and an example of what I have in my head.

I should be adding a second example inspired by Hardspace: Shipbreaker. Aka blue collar workers in space.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom