Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Anime Recommendations

Saber

Saber of Rad
Staff member
Administrator
I just finished binge watching Demon Slayer and would like more anime recommendations!
I'm open to most genres whether it be goofy comedy or horror (though less on the horror I'm working into it).
So tell me what some of your favorite animes are!

if you like demon slayer, Jujutsu Kaisen might appeal to you.

and it's totally unrelated, but I think Bakuman is an interesting series.

Overlord - Isekai done right IMHO. Tired of trashy MCS? Tired of OP not properly done right? Tired of power of friendship to save the day? Well, Overlord is for you.
Tanya the Evil - Dark/twisted world of war. Similar to WW2 Germany.
Parasyte - Generally about aliens infesting people
Code Geass - Best mecha anime hands down. (Sheer drama and storytelling alone.)
Ajinn - I actually liked this. Pretty good if you can get pass the graphics as they are drawn different from most animes. (I believe it was Chinese series anime.)
Death Note
To Your Eternity - A story about humanity. No seriously. You will see some stuff and character growth and yea... It can be pretty depressing. Like it really covers how people act with the MC going through a series of evolution more or less.

Ummm. Probably others. I prefer mostly dark/edgy or drama animes anyways. Dunno how their ENG dub overs are, I never watch ENG DUB.

Overlord - Isekai done right IMHO. Tired of trashy MCS? Tired of OP not properly done right? Tired of power of friendship to save the day? Well, Overlord is for you.
Tanya the Evil - Dark/twisted world of war. Similar to WW2 Germany.
Parasyte - Generally about aliens infesting people
Code Geass - Best mecha anime hands down. (Sheer drama and storytelling alone.)
Ajinn - I actually liked this. Pretty good if you can get pass the graphics as they are drawn different from most animes. (I believe it was Chinese series anime.)
Death Note
To Your Eternity - A story about humanity. No seriously. You will see some stuff and character growth and yea... It can be pretty depressing. Like it really covers how people act with the MC going through a series of evolution more or less.

Ummm. Probably others. I prefer mostly dark/edgy or drama animes anyways. Dunno how their ENG dub overs are, I never watch ENG DUB.

Code Geass is the best anime period. Prove me wrong! CC best girl. Kallen pretty great too though. And Lelouch is one of the only anime INTJs I actually like. God Code Geass was so good I can't believe they didn't make another season.

I'm gonna check out some of these recs myself due to your good taste in Code Geass haha.

Adding to the list:

1. No Game No Life. As the title would imply, the type of humor most gamers would enjoy. MC is a huge weeb but cunning.

2. The King's Avatar. More gamer shit. It's on youtube. I don't remember if it's subbed or dubbed. I think there's a fully voiced English version, but even if there isn't, there's definitely a subbed ver. Oh there's also a cringe live-action one. Not that one - the anime one. This one is worth watching if not just for the action scenes.

3. I've Been Killing Slimes For 300 Years And Maxed Out My Level. Really trashy. But funny. No real plot. Did I say funny? A lot of wlw fanservice. Hence it made the list.

Code Geass is the best anime period. Prove me wrong! CC best girl. Kallen pretty great too though. And Lelouch is one of the only anime INTJs I actually like. God Code Geass was so good I can't believe they didn't make another season.

I'm gonna check out some of these recs myself due to your good taste in Code Geass haha.

Adding to the list:

1. No Game No Life. As the title would imply, the type of humor most gamers would enjoy. MC is a huge weeb but cunning.

2. The King's Avatar. More gamer shit. It's on youtube. I don't remember if it's subbed or dubbed. I think there's a fully voiced English version, but even if there isn't, there's definitely a subbed ver. Oh there's also a cringe live-action one. Not that one - the anime one. This one is worth watching if not just for the action scenes.

3. I've Been Killing Slimes For 300 Years And Maxed Out My Level. Really trashy. But funny. No real plot. Did I say funny? A lot of wlw fanservice. Hence it made the list.
Aye, Code Geass was great.

They did do a movie though that continued or finished up. I forgot its name, but they didn't make a continuation of the series. A shame there. Not sure how movie went, I still haven't watched it. I think it came out few years ago?

King's Avtar was another Chinese(think) film. It was alright. Quanzhi Finashi(sp) is another series of anime. I dunno how far they subbed it. It also has a long going comic/manha. I remember King's Avtar though being a novel that was later adapted in anime. The novel is basically completed though.

Supposedly Solo Leveling is getting anime adaption but dunno there. Just heard rumor.

I do recommend To Your Eternity. Honestly it is its own masterpiece. (It is like, a bad train wreck that draws you in. I mean that in good way lol.)

Aye, Code Geass was great.

They did do a movie though that continued or finished up. I forgot its name, but they didn't make a continuation of the series. A shame there. Not sure how movie went, I still haven't watched it. I think it came out few years ago?

King's Avtar was another Chinese(think) film. It was alright. Quanzhi Finashi(sp) is another series of anime. I dunno how far they subbed it. It also has a long going comic/manha. I remember King's Avtar though being a novel that was later adapted in anime. The novel is basically completed though.

Supposedly Solo Leveling is getting anime adaption but dunno there. Just heard rumor.

I do recommend To Your Eternity. Honestly it is its own masterpiece. (It is like, a bad train wreck that draws you in. I mean that in good way lol.)
Are you talking about Akito the Exiled? I never actually sat down to watch that one. Heard it was ok, but more mech and less 'mind-game' like Code Geass. Not interested in mech just for mech enough.

Is Quanzhi Finashi good? I'm surprised you thought King's Avatar was just ok though (you are entitled to your opinions of course!). King's Avatar has one of the least cringy MC in the whole 'i'm-a-beast-at-video-games' genres I've seen in a long time. The OVA for King's Avatar was really good too. The novel is kind of unreadable compared to the anime; don't recommend.

Tower of God is vaguely related to the same genre. It was...how to say. Really good and really bad at the same time. Some episodes I was like - aye this is sick. Other episodes I was like - aye this is the suck.

Are you talking about Akito the Exiled? I never actually sat down to watch that one. Heard it was ok, but more mech and less 'mind-game' like Code Geass. Not interested in mech just for mech enough.

Is Quanzhi Finashi good? I'm surprised you thought King's Avatar was just ok though (you are entitled to your opinions of course!). King's Avatar has one of the least cringy MC in the whole 'i'm-a-beast-at-video-games' genres I've seen in a long time. The OVA for King's Avatar was really good too. The novel is kind of unreadable compared to the anime; don't recommend.

Tower of God is vaguely related to the same genre. It was...how to say. Really good and really bad at the same time. Some episodes I was like - aye this is sick. Other episodes I was like - aye this is the suck.
Noooo. Not Akito. They literally made a movie with Leouch came back in it. It was few years ago. >.< Lelouch of the Resurrection. Though the creators of the series said it wasn't really canon so there is that, now that I read up on it and that the ending of the original remains intact. (Had to google it, I probably won't watch it now after reading up the basis of plot.)

It is alright. I enjoy it. It is basically modern cultivation-ish with beasts/monsters and magic/fantasy. I dunno how far the anime went. I kinda went to reading the manwha after awhile. Haha. Well, I couldn't get too into KA. It is just the gaming sense of genre was a bit lost on me. I dunno, I have mix feelings about competitive gaming in anime same with animes base off sports.

Noooo. Not Akito. They literally made a movie with Leouch came back in it. It was few years ago. >.< Lelouch of the Resurrection. Though the creators of the series said it wasn't really canon so there is that, now that I read up on it and that the ending of the original remains intact. (Had to google it, I probably won't watch it now after reading up the basis of plot.)

It is alright. I enjoy it. It is basically modern cultivation-ish with beasts/monsters and magic/fantasy. I dunno how far the anime went. I kinda went to reading the manwha after awhile. Haha. Well, I couldn't get too into KA. It is just the gaming sense of genre was a bit lost on me. I dunno, I have mix feelings about competitive gaming in anime same with animes base off sports.
Oh that one. Omg I think I actually did watch that one. It was so bland I suffered memory loss and forgot I watched it LOL. Do NOT recommend.

I'll check out Quanzhi Fashi then. I do like cultivation as a genre. There was a pretty decent Japanese anime with shamans/talismans/ghosts/demons that was pretty good. With a funny looking half orange half white cat. I'm forgetting the name, but it was good. Nyanko?

Since you said anything goes I will just throw some of my favorites here that haven't been mentioned before:

Monster - Psychological thriller anime masterpiece. Pacing might be slow to some, but the buildup and suspense this serious has is amazing, and it has one of the best written villains in the anime in general.
Kaiji - Another psychological anime. This time centered around gambling. Main character is someone you really want to root for and the suspense + lack of plot-armor for our MC makes this a pretty intense ride.
Mushishi - Peak atmosphere. Episodic show centered around a man resolving problems related to Mushi-called creatures all around the Japan. Premise might not be the most interesting, but the atmosphere created by visuals, music and interesting lore really got me hooked and binge-watching this.
3-Gatsu No Lion - SoL and Drama show centered around Shogi. Has a perfect blend of serious stuff and extremely wholesome moments.
Welcome to the NHK - Another SoL/Drama about a NEET and his otaku-pal trying to develop a game. Like 3-Gatsu blends serious stuff and wholesome stuff together very well.
Oregairu - One of my favorite romance anime. Great main characters and both drama and comedy landed well at least for me. Also has a proper ending, which is something that many romance anime lack.
Psycho-Pass (specifically S1) - Great sci-fi thriller with interesting world. Also has one of the best villains in whole anime.
Mushoku Tensei - Isekai that surprised me positively. Really liked the internal struggles the MC had to go through at the beginning, and the great drama in season 2 after a big plot-twist happens.
Wotakoi - Cutest romcom anime I've seen. If you just want a wholesome, easy to watch show I recommend this one.
Hunter X Hunter (2011) - If you want to watch some shounen this is probably my go-to recommendation. Starts of as your regular battle shounen, but starts to turn into a serious seinen after first few arcs.
Non Non Biyori - Just a random CGDCT-rec. Friends having fun and comfy time in a little rural village. No much plot. Just comfy times. Personal favorite of the genre.

And since I saw Revolutionary Girl Utena on your RT list (amazing show btw) I recommend two other shows from Ikuhara Kunihiko, which are Mawaru Penguindrum and Sarazanmai. Both have the same charm as the Utena, but the themes they handle are obviously vastly different, but both have that abstract visual storytelling and an interesting, sort of a wacky-world that Utena has.

I could go on and on with my recs, but I think I'll stop here for now.

Just one right now.

Ranking of Kings

Kinda brutal, very heartwrenching, and incredibly uplifting all at the same time. The art is unique in the way it grabs from older styles and it's a medievalist fantasy setting that doesn't lean absurdly into rpg tropes nor does it rely on isekai contrivances. It's also done by Studio WIT if that means anything to you (it certainly will after watching the show). The series is ongoing I believe and has wrapped up its first major arc, so now would be an excellent time to binge.

I love One Piece but I don't recomend, there gonna loose weeks of there life binging that.
Yep, never thought it possible. One Piece already pass Detective Conan and is catching up to Pokemon.

I was going to watch it, but then did a hard pass. At that time I think it had 800-900 episodes. And Detective Conan was still ahead of it in Episode Count.

Oh that one. Omg I think I actually did watch that one. It was so bland I suffered memory loss and forgot I watched it LOL. Do NOT recommend.

I'll check out Quanzhi Fashi then. I do like cultivation as a genre. There was a pretty decent Japanese anime with shamans/talismans/ghosts/demons that was pretty good. With a funny looking half orange half white cat. I'm forgetting the name, but it was good. Nyanko?
Oh.. Damn that sucks there. Well, I will avoid it then. I was already on fence after reading it. RIP Code Geass Leolouch saga.

Dunno on Nyanko. I did recall some other one, but it wasn't cultivation. It was a strange Japanese anime. The dude had prostrated limbs/blades in them and was hunting demons? Dororo. Then there was that other one with dude that had mechanic arm or something and was contaminated with demon. Ugh.. Forgot its name.. It was steamworks with kinda 'zombies,' in it.

Back
Top Bottom