Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Suggestion Exporting Conversations/PMs

lasciel

Malefic
Supporter
I have some RP-by-PMs that are now >100 pages long. While I keep decent notes about what's happened in-game, etc, sometimes I find myself spending hours going through old content page-by-page trying to find a quote or a name or a date. Threadmarks help (they're great!) but aren't perfect. I'm aware that indexing all the PMs on the site to search would probably bring Bluemoon to it's knees, and I don't want that. Anything in the last 50 or so pages I can usually dig up pretty quick, it's when I have to go back past page 100 that I end up spending a lot of time.

To alleviate that, I'd like to be able to just do the search on my end. Would it be possible to add a feature, perhaps only once every N days/weeks/months/years (to avoid site overload) to export the entirety of a PM chain to some external format? Heck, I'd pay per-use on this (if it isn't super expensive) -- it would be that useful to me. Also, I'd have some peace-of-mind of retaining RP logs if the site ever goes kaput forever.

I'd love for something like this to get implemented even for threads. The topic has come up in the past before but I believe that it's too technically challenging to implement if I remember correctly.

Personally I'm paranoid as well and like to create backups of my more beloved roleplays just in case something ever happen to the site but it's a pain to copy paste every post one by one.

Although it wonโ€™t be the same or give the same result, would an easier version of this just be to search through the entire message thread? Not just ctrl+f on each page but like you do in fb groups where you get up every post with that word, etc. At least it would help if you knew what you were searching for!

If you donโ€™t, perhaps it would be a possibility to add more posts per page?

Or better yet, continuous scrolling! Like a โ€œload moreโ€ button at the bottom instead of going to the next page.

I donโ€™t know what would be the easiest/better option, if exporting is too difficult.

Something like that would certainly help searching but would do nothing for the half in desiring a way to save an external copy of the roleplay for safekeeping.

Again, I don't really know much on the backend about how difficult these things would be but I do remember this topic coming up multiple times in the past and never amounting to anything.

I keep all my stories in Word. I write them there, and copy my partner's replies into docs before I start my reply. So an Export function wouldn't be terribly useful to me.

A Search function for PMs, though, would be useful.

Oh yeah I understand that. I wasn't trying to throw any blame around or anything, I realize the coding isn't usually a simple matter for stuff like this. Still, thank you for the clarification Solo that it's at least on the to-do list for the long-term future.

Probably not the answer you are looking for, but --

Google doc accepts external formatting beautifully. So if you set a blank doc to that bmr shade of blue and just copy paste entire pages onto it, it won't take too to go through an entire thread which you can then use one ctrl-f to search through.

Back
Top Bottom