Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

SEASON 1 - Dawn Chorus Police Department

Praxis

⋆✶ᴘʀᴀᴄᴛɪᴄᴀʟʟʏ ᴘᴇʀꜰᴇᴄᴛ ɪɴ 𝓔𝓿𝓮𝓻𝔂 𝓦𝓪𝔂 ✶⋆
Supporter
696tzBG.png

Character: Charlie Liddle
Time/Location: Dawn Chorus Police Department / Basement 11:45 - 12:00
Scene Status: Closed
Tagging: @pixel.

cont. from here

Wasn't my cat. Was my wife's.

"Oh," was all she could manage in response.

She knew the story. Not well, of course. She'd never taken the time to pull the reports from back then. Had never spent hours or days or weeks wondering, fretting and worrying for an answer, even if it'd be one she'd hate. She'd never lost sleep, skipped meals or taken to the bottle over the baseless anguish that comes with having your world ripped away. Her mind went to Morris, to his poor, grief-stricken wife, to the dozens upon dozens of faces that'd all stood and watched, helpless, while a man – one of their own, a husband and business owner, a friend – had died in the street. Charlie couldn't bring herself to return his stare as it burned into her.

On instinct -- or ...what Charlie told herself was instinct -- she gripped at the steering wheel more firmly at Rand's mention of "whatever" had fatally wounded Morris. Not who ever.

What.

What do you mean? The words very nearly left her lips before she caught herself on a vision of Frank – shirtless, piss drunk and frantic as a Catholic in a whorehouse – invading her thoughts. She could hear it already. Aliens, from Proxima Centauri, here to suck the blood from every virgin in the tri-county area. Or, perhaps in this case, it'd be monsters of some variety. Werewolves, or Brownies or ...Teardrinkers that predate time. Slumbering beneath the town, waiting for their once-every-few-generations opportunity to feed. Evil. Evil towns. Evil things out there in the deep, dark woods, hatching evil plans against the poor, hopeless townsfolk. What do you mean? Asking that was asking for trouble. Asking to worsen a headache she'd been working to abate since dawn. So, instead of asking – instead of saying anything at all – Charlie sighed out her resignation and settled instead for silence. A decision that seemed to sit well enough with Rand, as the pair of them didn't speak another word until they'd arrived in the officer's lot, behind the police station.

She led him in, through the rear-entrance and around to the front desk where an occupied Maggie eyed Rand suspiciously. Nosy, even by police dispatcher standards, she covered the microphone of her headset to whisper to Charlie as they passed, "What happened?"

"Nothin'. I'll tell ya later. Anyone down in two?"

She shook her head while big, glassy, accusing eyes skittered up and down Mr. Mcdougall. "No. 'Course not. But Sheriff Ryan's bee-"

"Is he here? Now?" Charlie asked a bit too eagerly.

She pointed with the tip of her nose to the conference room. "Still!" She said in disbelief. "Been on the phone all mornin'. Finally sent McCann out, who knows where. Raffert-"

"Great, thanks – oh!" she added, "order an extra of ...whatever Rafferty got. Please."

To get to the basement, and thereby Dawn Chorus PD's three holding cells, Charlie and Rand needed to take a stairwell. She'd always hated them. They were too narrow, too steep and arranged in such a way the first, few, awkward steps were spent both holding the door open while waiting for an automated light to kick on. It usually resulted in a blind fumble for a step down, only for the struggling florescent to sputter on once you were more than halfway through the second set. There were bundles of cable, painted over and wall-mounted (a slapdash fix from when the town had adopted high-speed internet, and the police department was forced to find a cheap contractor, quick) running the narrow length of brick wall to ceiling. The entire space was no more than the width of Rand with just enough to spare for someone the size of Charlie to his side and behind.

"Sorry -- the service elevator is out. Vermin we think; chewed the wires," she said, "supposed to have a guy out lookin' at it. Anyway, it's quiet, you can mind yourself a bit while I take care of a few things."

The basement itself left as much to the imagination as the top floor: plain walls; brick, painted a sort of grey that might've been as close to no-colour as anything ever was. A single desk and task-chair; unmanned but equipped with what looked to be a copy of Mad Magazine and an old soft drink cup. Windows; the tiny, basement sort that only allow a slit of light, grimed over from having maybe never been scrubbed. And, finally, three cells; two side-by-side and a third, around a corner in the concrete foundation. It faced against the taped-over elevator entrance and was by far the dimmest of the three, only receiving a portion of the natural and overhead lighting that seemed ever insufficient against so much dark. Each was equipped, for lack of better term, with a cot, a rimless and dented aluminum toilet, and one pillow about as thick, and perhaps about as soft as, a pizza box. Bleak. Spartan even, but nonetheless clean and quiet as she'd promised. She showed him to the third cell, gestured at the bed, and turned to leave. When she returned, briefly, it was only to place a triplet of items just beyond the bars of an unlocked door. Rand had taken for the bed and was facing away from her when she approached.

"Here," she said, placing a bottle of water and an oatmeal-raisin granola bar. "Gonna be a bit on lunch. I was gonna eat that, so ...you better enjoy it. 'N take these, it'll help." She placed a packet of Tylenol beside the water and stood. "You don't gotta stay, but I hope you do." She couldn't tell if he was sleeping, or simply glazing over the way he had in the prowler. Either was fine. She was going to talk anyway. "I still wanna talk about what it is you think's happenin'. I wanna hear what you think, okay?" There might've been more to say, or to hear, but she was gone. Up the stairs and away, leaving him in cool silence broken only by the occasional hum of machinery in the walls.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Character: Charlie Liddle
Time/Location: Dawn Chorus Police Department -- 12:10pm
Scene Status: Closed
Tagging: Sheriff Ryan (npc)

She had to duck Maggie when she emerged from the basement. Telling that woman that you'd "tell her later" -- whatever it was -- was a steadfast promise that Charlie simply didn't have the time for. The sheriff hadn't emerged from the conference room, and she could see Rafferty down a hallway, in the kitchenette, futzing with a Nescafe packet. That bought her enough time to creep closer to the closed door, as near to where she could faintly hear the sheriff's voice, as she could safely manage without drawing someone's attention. Muted, through plaster and wood and double-paned glass, it was mostly syllables she picked up, a conversation, one he seemed to be taking a small part in and then a sudden quiet.

Charlie paused, glanced down the hallway toward the front desk, and dared another inch just as the door flew open. The sheriff, a big man by every measure, nearly crashed into her for where his eyeline neglected all but the very top of her hair bun.

"Jesus Christ, Liddle!" He gasped, after both uttered a startled yawp. "The hell are you doin'?"

"D'uh -- they, Muh-Maggie said you were in the conference room. I was hopin' I could talk to you." He was moving away from her already, toward the kitchenette and Deputy Rafferty. "Jus' for a sec. About, um --"

"What're you wearin'?" He asked, squinting at her as she kept pace.

"I ...I got beer spilled on me last night. The Cleaner's closed on Mond--"

The sheriff chortled at the thought before, almost-quickly, correcting himself with a feigned cough. "Well, shit. Maybe we could all wear jeans." He nodded at the idea, having joined Rafferty at the counter, "kinda like that idea, come think of it. Whad'about you, Rafferty? You like your uniform?"

This went on for a moment, the two of them jawing about the slacks, or the pleats, the too-small belt loops or – as the sheriff put it -- "restricting crotch". They joked, twice, about the girth of their bellies, how they struggled at the shirts, but were quick to assure each other that, no, it hadn't lessened them in any way. They still put up just as much weight as they had in high school. Drank about half as much beer though. That bit, at the end, had really gotten a laugh out of Rafferty before they dispersed, and the sheriff looked as though he might only give Charlie a nod before leaving.

"Sheriff," she said to his back. "I need to talk to you," she almost let herself pause again, "about Morris Blevins. About what happened last night." She did pause then, long enough to wait for any spark of recognition to flicker behind those deep-set, dark eyes of his. Something did, though it wasn't what she was expecting. "...about what I told you," her voice lowered, "what he said to me." The horrible, confusing knowledge of it had been all she could think about it in those dizzy moments after Morris had finally gone. Sheriff Ryan had been called, she'd been taken back to an ambulance that, after much time, had arrived through the thickening crowd. After that, the scene had dissolved into a flurry of concerned faces and the sinking realization that she, and only she, had heard Morris Blevins' final words.

Naturally, it festered for a total of thirty minutes before she'd found the sheriff and divulged what she had found to be essential, albeit cryptic, information.

Virgil. Will.

What could that mean? Why spend the last, precious shreds of your life saying those two words, if they weren't an explanation to ...something?

"Yeah," he grumbled, rubbing his chin. "Yeah, I been thinkin' about that." Nodding, satisfied with something, he said, "And I think, maybe ...he was sayin' Vigil. Vigil would-"

"Will." She corrected.

"Yeah. Will. Vigil will. Like, maybe ...the Vigil ...Will help ...me find everyone." He nodded again. That same, assured nod that said it had all clicked into place. "Thinkin' that's it. Poor bastard must've seen the lights and knew we was out there, thinkin' 'bout him." He sipped from the tiny, paper cup. "Poor bastard."

To say that she was crushed was to put it lightly. To suggest that her eyes betrayed well more than she would've ever intended was an understatement. "No. I..."

"Look, kid, it's a mess. Man had his guts all ripped out, half his face all fuc—uh, all messed up. Person'll say anything like that." He clapped his big, meaty palm onto her shoulder and shook her gently. "Don't worry about it too much. Prob'ly wolves, or coyotes, or, hell, I dunno – buncha tourists from up North might've found him wandering the backroads 'n gave him whutfur. Buncha psychos in the cities, I swear to Jesus. Scoop a person right up and beat 'em to death, just for the Instagrams."

She felt sick. So sick, that when he offered one last bit of condolence in the form of a thumbs up, she really did think she might throw up on his shoes.

"Good work, Liddle. You were quick out there. We need that kinda," he paused with what sounded like a burp, "sh -shtuff. Keep it up. Maggie! when the hell's lunch comin' in? I'm suckin' on fumes over here."

And then he was gone. Leaving Charlie alone with nothing gained and still everything left to lose.

Character: Randall McDougall
Time/Location: 12:10 - 12:45pm, or so.
Scene Status: OPEN
Tagging: Charlie Liddle (@Praxis)

Rand was left alone in a dank, dark basement with nothing but a granola bar, the Tylenol, and the water. He swallowed the pill and took a few mouthfuls of water before tearing open the bar, skeptical the entire time. His suspicions were confirmed as soon as he took a bite from the bar, the taste of pruned grapes sliding over his tongue instead of the burst of chocolate it could have - and he had hoped - it had been.

Mary used to get onto him about his sweet tooth. Said he would have to have all his teeth yanked out and replaced with dentures. Said he’d get diabetes, too, whenever she had found another one of his stashes that he had kept from her. Said it would kill him, eventually, if he didn’t stop eating like a toddler and why didn’t he like the spinach she had cooked the night before? Plenty of iron.

The irony tasted bitter. Covered up the taste of the raisins as he slumped forward on the poor excuse for a bed, while also musing that it was about the same as what he had to bunk in when he was in the army.

Rand had thought that would kill him before anything else would. But going out in a blaze of glory or even from sugar shock hadn’t been in the cards for Randall McDougall. Nothing that he had predicted had turned out to be in the fucking cards - not that he would ever trust cards or the people who spread them out like they meant anything but fucking gibberish to begin with. Those folk were nutjobs, pulling at strings and half-guesses. Horoscopes and astrology, all nonsense. His personality wasn’t based off a fucking wheat woman. Or an ox. His good fortune and prosperity weren’t based off when the sun aligned with the moon or anything like that.

Angrily, he ripped another bite off the granola bar, chewing furiously, no longer tasting it at all as he gazed out at nothing while the smell of stale air and the remnants of whoever else had been dumped into the basement plugged his nose. At least the effects of the booze was wearing off, for better or for worse. He had a pounding headache that didn’t do anything good for the rolling nausea that almost had him putting the bar down, but he refused to lay down and sleep it off down here.

No, he wanted to go home where it was familiar. Where he could stave off the emerging hangover with more alcohol, finally get some shut eye, pretend to forget how he had come off as a raging lunatic in the public library and go back to being a recluse that minded his own damn business and no one paid him any mind.

Only the events had triggered him in ways that reminders of the war never did. He had been thrown back in time, to the kind of chaos that couldn’t be explained away by loud noises or sudden movements that made his fist become trigger happy and wind up in people’s faces. There was no explanation for what he saw, or felt, or thought that he knew.

Maybe he was going insane.

Grunting, he tossed down the uneaten half of granola and crushed the water bottle in his hand, swallowing in gulps as his joints creaked in protest and he lifted himself up from the bed to hobble over to the door, wondering if the girl had locked him in like a criminal.

He stopped before he could turn the knob, muffled voices filtering in from the other side. Scowling, he pushed his ear right up against the door, an eavesdropper that could only make out bits and snippets of the conversation that was going on in the station. He also didn’t want to get caught, despite his intention of leaving the basement in the first place. But what really gave him pause was not that he recognized Ryan’s voice through the door - he couldn’t actually make out what was being said - but the fact that the man was stumbling over his words like a dunce.

Hadn’t always been that way. It used to be that the Sheriff was a respected man, confident, gave a shit about his job. Instinct nagged him, telling him that something wasn’t right. The other part of his mind, shamed from earlier, tried to shrug the feeling off. Times had changed, people change with it.

Was that a burp?

Rand started to put his hand back on the door handle again as footsteps headed closer to where the basement door no doubt was. Another burp ripped through the air, much closer than it had been. Followed by something more akin to a fart. That was then followed by a groan and a noise much ruder than just a groan, before the footsteps stopped right outside where Rand stood, frozen.

Fear laced through his blood, turning it cold. He didn’t even know why. Maybe he should crawl back to that pitiful cot and lay down, get some sleep here, wait for the prissy Liddle to come back and fetch him so that he could demand she take him home.

Despite the fact that he probably shouldn’t have, Rand could have sworn he heard heavy breathing on the other side of the door. Like the Sheriff had leaned in, breathing in heavy with his paunch pressed into his chest, trying to peer at Rand through the wood that barricaded them away from each other. Hand dropping, Rand took a step back, sweat beading on his brow.

Chimera.”

One word. Rand’s heart was racing, the pounding in his temple growing stronger. Another step back, even though he could have sworn he could feel the Sheriff straightening up. Just like he damn well knew he could hear the other man belch again, groan, lumber away from the door.

Shaking, he turned away and headed back down, lowering himself down on the cot. The plastic bottle in his hands was crumpled, but he still lifted it, water sloshing across his mouth and dribbling down his chin as he gulped again, eyes fastened on his feet settled on the floor as he tried to convince himself that nothing at all was wrong.

Nothing had happened, after all.​

Back
Top Bottom