Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Your favorite Character Archetype to Play As - Describe it with a Song

Ζ’eral

π•¨π•šπ•₯𝕙 π•₯𝕙𝕒π•₯ 𝔀𝓲𝓡𝓭 π•šπ•Ÿ π•žπ•ͺ π•§π•–π•šπ•Ÿπ•€
Supporter
Link a song that you feel encapsulates a character archetype that you really enjoy writing. This can be a specific character, a range of characters. An all time favorite. A recent favorite... anything that nods at the prompt goes, really.

Offer some insight into the archetype and why the song fits (or why you like the archetype!) if you wish.

I'll start.

Coming at you live
Real real wild
Here to light it up
Set the world on fire
Gonna break rules
And hearts in twos

'Cause that's what the baddest do

-The Baddest | KDA/Riot Games

Because what's more fun than writing chaotic-aligned bad girls?

But hey, floor's yours.

Last edited:
Hey, Feral! Cool idea!

🎡
(Embeded doesn't work for this video. ;c)

You take a drug, I take a sip

I want your legendary kiss

You know I got designer taste

And your designs are too good to waste

When the beast comes out at night

Yeah, it always wants a bite

And I try, try to resist

But then the devil always wins

First time in my life I... I'm not afraid

First time I remember feeling anything... anything.

I feel it coming on! You got nowhere to run!

There's no way you'll make it out alive!

Oh when it's after dark, I'm gonna eat your heart!

Don't try to fight it, just close your eyes!

I'm the greatest... God created...

I'm a sickness... I'm contagious...

I'm a demon... Power tripping...

On a mission... And vindictive...

Go on and say, say your last words

Sometimes the best things kinda hurt

Cause this is real, it's unrehearsed

My final touch, your fatal curse

Yeah

(Time, time, time)

Time to close your eyes

(Time, time, time)

Time to say goodnight.
I picked this song since I think it does a decent job of covering a large area of characters that I like to RP. Usually, my characters end up passionately spiteful about something/someone, and that usually causes or tempts them to snap on a moral and mental level. I also like the line, "First time I remember feeling anything", since it makes me think of the intense moments I try to RP out. Usually, nothing in MCs' lives compares to them, thus my character is experiencing some aspect/situation/emotion for the first time that often leaves them changed or broken. These lyrics also remind me of characters I play around "battle of seduction" themes as well as some of my more aggressive lovesick types.

Oh wow. The start of that song totally threw me. Did not go where I thought it was gonna go. xD That's kind of neat. I dig how it just like ramped so suddenly.

Thanks for sharing!

It is actually a mash up of two different songs is why. Haha. It isn't my favorite, but the lyrics are fitting for the assignment. ;D

Not necessarily a favoured archetype, but probably pretty close - and this theme song for that archetype was actually suggested to me by someone else based on how I portrayed the character.
There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
And she's buying a stairway to heaven
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven

There's a sign on the wall, but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven
You know

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking
That's you

And it's whispered that soon, if we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
Remember laughter?

Oh yeah, yeah, yeah...

And it makes me wonder
If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May queen
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on

Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know
The piper's calling you to join him
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold

And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all is one and one is all, that's what it is
To be a rock and not to roll, oh yeah

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkF3oxziUI4

This song doesn't reflect a specific favored archetype, but some traits I find a number of my heroic characters (and a fair number of more villainous ones) possessing to varying degrees. Particularly the following lyrics:
  • "My words uplift; yours are poisonous, like venom" (generally leaning towards diplomatic bard characters)
  • "I'm pouring my heart out in everything written; you're scared you'll look soft, heart remains hidden; yo on touchy subjects, nerves I stay hittin'; but I ain't better than you, I just think different" (even my more stoic characters having a rather harsh empathy with their brutal honesty)
  • "Positive thought patterns when the chosen start gathering, we bar none; yo I got jokes, you are one"
  • "Yo, I want a better world for our seeds to live in; I put faith in myself, not the system"

And for my more Anti-Villainous/Noble Demon characters driven equally by ambition and a dark honor (like an Airbender banished from the Air Nomads for wanting to learn a forbidden style of Airbending purely for completion's sake), a partner once shared "Arsonist's Lullaby" by Hozier with me. And I found these verses especially fit them...
When I was 16, my senses fooled me
Thought gasoline was on my clothes
I knew that something would always rule me...
I knew the scent was mine alone

All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash

I have a tendency for tragic characters, especially if I'm not focusing on the smut. This is a good summary of my protagonist from Stalker, for example. At least that's how he is before things start.

I don't know euphoria
Would like to meet her someday
C'est la vie
I don't feel hysteria
She leaves me lonely
C'est la, c'est la vie​

Depressing characters don't really fit into most stories though. 'cus unsurprisingly, they don't take that much initiative. So what I usually do is that I make a serious character and then I blunt the depressing bits a bit and make them more initiative-rich. Boom, that's how you get a fluffy sweet protag who knows how to cry. :p

Lewds-wise, most of my characteres can be summarized like this. Haha. :p

That's it, baby, take control
You're so enticin', mesmerisin', don't know how to react
You're gonna steal my very soul
More manslaughter than the third impact, yeah
I see you struttin' in that pleat
Double-taking, yeah, I'm shaking and you know it shows
This kind of girl just can't be beat
She whispers in my ear, "Take off your clothes"​

This is the one that immediately came to
So...man-eater but secretly got a soul. Product of her past. Broken and tries to break others? Bit of a redemption arc?

Not necessarily a favoured archetype, but probably pretty close - and this theme song for that archetype was actually suggested to me by someone else based on how I portrayed the character.
There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold
When she gets there she knows, if the stores are all closed
With a word she can get what she came for
Ooh, ooh, and she's buying a stairway to heaven

There's a sign on the wall, but she wants to be sure
'Cause you know sometimes words have two meanings
In a tree by the brook, there's a songbird who sings
Sometimes all of our thoughts are misgiven
You know

There's a feeling I get when I look to the west
And my spirit is crying for leaving
In my thoughts I have seen rings of smoke through the trees
And the voices of those who stand looking
That's you

And it's whispered that soon, if we all call the tune
Then the piper will lead us to reason
And a new day will dawn for those who stand long
And the forests will echo with laughter
Remember laughter?

Oh yeah, yeah, yeah...

And it makes me wonder
If there's a bustle in your hedgerow, don't be alarmed now
It's just a spring clean for the May queen
Yes, there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run
There's still time to change the road you're on

Your head is humming and it won't go, in case you don't know
The piper's calling you to join him
Dear lady, can you hear the wind blow, and did you know
Your stairway lies on the whispering wind?

And as we wind on down the road
Our shadows taller than our soul
There walks a lady we all know
Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to gold

And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all is one and one is all, that's what it is
To be a rock and not to roll, oh yeah

Toughie. Philosophical? Post-modernism? Satanism vs. orthordox religion and the struggle thereupon?

This song doesn't reflect a specific favored archetype, but some traits I find a number of my heroic characters (and a fair number of more villainous ones) possessing to varying degrees. Particularly the following lyrics:
  • "My words uplift; yours are poisonous, like venom" (generally leaning towards diplomatic bard characters)
  • "I'm pouring my heart out in everything written; you're scared you'll look soft, heart remains hidden; yo on touchy subjects, nerves I stay hittin'; but I ain't better than you, I just think different" (even my more stoic characters having a rather harsh empathy with their brutal honesty)
  • "Positive thought patterns when the chosen start gathering, we bar none; yo I got jokes, you are one"
  • "Yo, I want a better world for our seeds to live in; I put faith in myself, not the system"

And for my more Anti-Villainous/Noble Demon characters driven equally by ambition and a dark honor (like an Airbender banished from the Air Nomads for wanting to learn a forbidden style of Airbending purely for completion's sake), a partner once shared "Arsonist's Lullaby" by Hozier with me. And I found these verses especially fit them...
When I was 16, my senses fooled me
Thought gasoline was on my clothes
I knew that something would always rule me...
I knew the scent was mine alone

All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep 'em on a leash

Ohh. Love playing diplomatic bards in D&D. A good sword-bard A+. Love that song. Thanks for sharing.

I have a tendency for tragic characters, especially if I'm not focusing on the smut. This is a good summary of my protagonist from Stalker, for example. At least that's how he is before things start.

I don't know euphoria
Would like to meet her someday
C'est la vie
I don't feel hysteria
She leaves me lonely
C'est la, c'est la vie​

Depressing characters don't really fit into most stories though. 'cus unsurprisingly, they don't take that much initiative. So what I usually do is that I make a serious character and then I blunt the depressing bits a bit and make them more initiative-rich. Boom, that's how you get a fluffy sweet protag who knows how to cry. :p

Lewds-wise, most of my characteres can be summarized like this. Haha. :p

That's it, baby, take control
You're so enticin', mesmerisin', don't know how to react
You're gonna steal my very soul
More manslaughter than the third impact, yeah
I see you struttin' in that pleat
Double-taking, yeah, I'm shaking and you know it shows
This kind of girl just can't be beat
She whispers in my ear, "Take off your clothes"​

Lmao. Youtube Villain by KDA or Nightmare by Besomorph feat. Riell. Pretty sure that's your type.

I like to play the lovable doofus and the charming asshole with a sense of humour. He can either be a sweet, lovable clown with a mischievous, impish tendency, or he can be emotionally complex, cynical, with a sardonic joking attitude.

I love playing jokesters too! We all need more humor in our lives. Really like that last song. Thanks for sharing.

So...man-eater but secretly got a soul. Product of her past. Broken and tries to break others? Bit of a redemption arc?

More the general vibe than the lyrics, possessing a devil may care attitude without ignoring or sugarcoating past damages caused and received. To be honest, it's probably more aspirational than defining in my character tastes.

Lmao. Youtube Villain by KDA or Nightmare by Besomorph feat. Riell. Pretty sure that's your type.
Hmmmm, eeeeh, I prefer them a bit more loving than that! Aftercare is so cute! And I love to write affectionate stuff. But it's not too far off. :p

Hmmmm, eeeeh, I prefer them a bit more loving than that! Aftercare is so cute! And I love to write affectionate stuff. But it's not too far off. :p
Ahh but it's all about proving yourself with those types, you know? Girls like that ain't nice just to anyone.

Less a use & lose, more of a 'love ya just enough to keep as a pet.'

As a wise being by the name of @Revelations once said, 'possessive women and lady villains make the heart go hnnnngh.'

Ahh but it's all about proving yourself with those types, you know? Girls like that ain't nice just to anyone.

As a wise being by the name of Revelations once said, 'possessive women and lady villains make the heart go hnnnngh.'
Pffffffffffttttt, okay, you make a good point. Haha. :p

As a wise being by the name of @Revelations once said, 'possessive women and lady villains make the heart go hnnnngh.'

πŸ’―πŸ’―πŸ’―

As for myself or characters I play? Hrmmmmmmm, that's a tough one. I have a few different songs that encapsulate a few various archetypes I play .

Stratovarius: At the Speed of Light. Often times I like characters who seek to find a meaning for their lives, so thoughts of destiny and something they can dedicate themselves to is a consistent theme in my characters.

Steely Dan: Do it Again: To me this song represents self destructive tendencies alongside backsliding even when you swear you won't. This doesn't apply to 99% of my characters, but for that 1% I'm playing with a person, with the lyrics 'Now you swear and kick and beg us that you're not a gamblin' man; / Then you find you're back in Vegas with a handle in your hand" being most emblematic of the characters tendencies to make the worst decisions.

Here's another trope I honestly enjoy a little too much (read: play too much of)

Lyrics:

I can feel the fire when I breathe in
Waking up the giant that's been sleeping
Playing this game for a reason
Been playing this playing this game

Harder
Gonna prove I came to win
Stronger
Bet against me think again

Never say die
Never say die
You're gonna see me standing with my fist in the sky
Never say die
Look into my eyes
Yeah you know that I can see the future gonna rise

Doesn't really affect the smuttier side of thing, mostly a plot-trope. This is like most 'protagonist' or 'anti-hero'.

Love writing 'conviction' in all shapes and sizes. Usually there's a past they are running away from, a foe they are running to, or both.

Badass Action Girls that will fuck shit up. Love that trope haha.

Toughie. Philosophical? Post-modernism? Satanism vs. orthordox religion and the struggle thereupon?
The character was a paladin I played on a very old Neverwinter Nights server a long time ago. she was struggling to be a beacon of light and hope in the face of unrelenting evil and darkness. She always tried to see the Good in things, and she was always willing to sacrifice herself to get it. Her story ended with the Ultimate Sacrifice to save the city she loved and ruled.

Flowers I can do without
I don't wanna be tied down
White material will stain
My pocket knife's gotta shiny blade
I'm not trying to cause a fuss
I just wanna make my own fuck-ups
I'm not trying to break your heart
I'm just trying not to fall apart

I've listened to this song for years and it is the archetype I like the most. Tough, strong, and merciless when he has to be, but he's kind when he can be.

Poison - Ride the Wind - 1990. It came out when I lived in Iowa, a few years after leaving So Cal. Flesh and Blood was one of the cassettes I listened to the most at that time (along with G-n-R "Appetite for Destruction", Motley Crue "Dr. Feelgood", Van Halen (All of them up to "OICU823"), Faith No More "Faith No More", and Slaughter "Stick it To You". It's more of an aspiration, really, as my characters seemed to be much more fucked up to ever really be a knight in shining armor. Usually, they end up reasonably dirty due to circumstance, and twisted by the things they have observed.

Hearts of fire
Streets of stone
Modern warriors
Saddle iron horses of chrome

Taste the wild
Lick the wind
Like something they never saw before
Their jaws dropping to the floor

Steel made of soul and sin
Rebels born without a care
(And the day he listens)
Only to fly where eagles dare

And the night she whispers
Ride the wind
Never coming back until I touch the midnight sun
(Ride the wind)
(Never coming back again)
Ride the wind

Painted flesh
Loyalty
Humble pride
Just as far as the eye can see
Stories told
To old friends
Of battle scars and lonely bars
And nights the rain wouldn't end

Here's to withered eyes wearing gypsy smiles
(And the day he listens)
Here's to lovely ladies and a million miles
And the night she whispers

Ride the wind
(Ride the wind)
(Never coming back again)
Ride the wind

I'm still the bravest soul in sin
Burning till the night is done
Of all the truths and lies
And stories of riders in the sky
They say only the bravest try
Where eagles and angels dare to fly

I genuinely couldn't find one song that nailed the archetype i wanted, I was really tempted to cheat and combine two, but I decided to hit the closest i could find

Wrap me in Plastic By Chromance
It's bimbo adjacent, but that's a bit too overtly lewd for it. Female Himbo is close, but that evokes characters like Scorpia from she ra. This is more like Bubbles/Supergirl/most magical girls. Stupid, but kind, not as overtly sexual as bimbo implies, but soft femme, dumb, gentle, sweet, and generally a bit like a doll fucked a superhero
Almost Saccharine in their kindness and general lack of malice in even the tiniest bone in their body, obsessed with fashion and cuteness, and extraordinarily naive and impressionable and corruptible.

It's hard to pick one since I have loads of archetypes I really like to play, but lately I've been into playing as characters who keep a skeleton or a few in their closet, bad guys, characters that aren't mentally all there and well etc. And this song has been one of the few that have gotten me to the right headspace to write them and inspired me:

Back
Top Bottom