Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

MatchaMochi's funtastic journal - Anime, manga, music, games and much more!

What type of content you'd like to see in this thread?

• More in-depth anime-reviews

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manga-reviews

• Talk about video-games! (possibly reviews etc.)

• Music-reviews (for example ranking a discography of a band or artist)

• Keep doing the same stuff you are already doing!

• Something else (what?)

• Total voters

MatchaMochi

Cuteness Is Justice!

Welcome to MatchaMochi's chill journal!

tumblr_o328lujnMO1tydz8to1_540.gif

The purpose of this journal is to work as my personal playground of sorts where I talk about the things that interest me. Most of the time this means me doing reviews, first-impressions or throwing my two cents on some random topic and sharing it to people who may be interested of my opinion of... Different stuff.

There really isn't any strict theme I will go with this journal outside of it revolving around the things I'm interested in. I might do a separate journal for RP-related things, so all the things in here are OOC-related stuff.

Commenting and discussion is welcomed!

Thank you for dropping by and hopefully you enjoy the stuff posted in here!

Seasonal anime (winter - 2022) - First impressions and updates for continuing shows

My first Journal update will be me talking about the seasonal anime-shows I started to watch and what I think about them so far, while also giving some updated opinions for the ongoing shows from the last season. List is in alphabetical order and divided to shows that started in this season and ongoing shows from previous season(s)

I won't include One Piece here, since I have so much catching up to do with it.

I will keep my comments brief and somewhat vague as to not spoil anything. If I talk about something that I consider a spoiler-y I will obviously put it behind spoiler-tag

This is my first time doing anything like this, so I hope you enjoy reading through it!

Akebi-chan no Sailor-fuku (Akebi's Sailor Uniform)
bx131548-gc2z64TGWIH6.jpg

Based on the two first episodes this show will be comfy cute girls doing cute things-type of show. Main-character is fun to follow and based on the second episode the rest of the main cast will be fun to watch as well.

I honestly don't have much to say about this yet. It's comfy, chill and overall a feel-good show. If you enjoy SoL or CGDCT this is definitely worth giving a shot in my eyes.

Dolls' Frontline
FCY2K3NXsAEI_h_

This shows is based on the mobile-game Girls Frontline, and so far it seems to be adapting the main story of the mobile game with some things changed to fit into the anime format better (this is based on my recollection of the game. Haven't played it in a bit). Episodes mainly consist of cute girl robots fighting with each other with the games plot connecting all these fight-scenes.

If you're a fan of the mobile game the only thing this provides is your waifus being animated and a story you're already familiar with. If shows and games like Azur Lane, Kantai Collection and Girls Und Panzer are something you enjoy then this might be up your alley, but so far this is hard to recommend for anyone who isn't a fan of the game or cute girls fighting against each other-type of shows.

Fantasy Bishoujo Juniku Ojisan to (Life with an Ordinary Guy Who Reincarnated into a Total Fantasy Knockout)

fantasy-bishoujo-juniku-ojisan-to-1.jpg

What? The only new isekai I started in this season is actually a good one? Nah. That can't be. There must be some mistake here...

The first episode of this shows was a positive surprise. Standard isekai-plot getting a Kaguya-Sama-type of twist to make the focus of the show a romantic one definitely got me interested in this show, and so far the first episode delivered a fun and cute premise and a main lead couple which is a blast to watch.

Can't say much about this one yet either, but the first episode was promising, and I can't wait for the second one!

Kaijin Kaihatsu-bu no Kuroitsu-san (Miss Kuroitsu from the Monster Development Department)

A24507-829781736.1635830883.jpg

This show is basically like a Heaven's Design Team, but this time instead of angels creating different animal it's villains creating a new type of monsters to beat the heroes with. The premise is quite fun one and the fact that monster creating and working at the villain organization is played out like it was a game-studio developing a new game each episode is quite fun.

Humor and comedy so far has been a bit mixed bag, but due to the premise I have faith that this show might develop into more fun comedic anime as it goes on. So far an ok start.

Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 3 (Teasing Master Takagi-san season 3)

teasingmastertakagisan3_mainvisual.jpg

Alright. Time for my hot-take of the day: I don't really get the hype of this series

Reason for this is because the gimmick of it wore off after three first episodes for me, and when the interactions between Takagi and Nishikata play out almost exactly the same way every time the show can get quite tedious to watch. The girl-trio and the occasional episodes that progress the Nishikata x Takagi-ship (last two episodes of season 2 for example) carry this show for me, but sadly the girl-trio isn't the main focus, and the romance progresses at the snails pace.

That being said these two episodes of this new season have been some of the best ones from this series. Both of them had some twist to the formula which made the same-old scenarios much more interesting as they played out. If this goes on and there's some development in the main ship of this show this might very well be the best season of the show.

Kimetsu no Yaiba: Yuukaku-hen (Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Entertainment District Arc)

120036l.jpg

KnY is still "just ok" for me. I read the manga few months back and for me the whole ride was "just ok" plot and character-wise. Every arc were pretty much the same quality from the start to finish and the Entertainment District Arc surprisingly doesn't do anything to change that.

Ufotable's great animation however elevates the enjoyment-value of this show quite a bit. And it's great to see all the fights come alive in such a spectacular way.

Princess Connect! Re: Dive Season 2

117145l.jpg

One of my most-anticipated shows of this season. Priconne anime is easily the best mobile-game based anime with F/GO-adaptations. It's made so that even the people who aren't familiar with the source material can easily enjoy it if shows like Konosuba are up their alley (Maybe because the director of Konosuba is also behind the Priconne adaptation as well).

Season 2 has offered the same laid-back adventures in the Astraea like the season 1 with the same goofy cast. If you're in the market for a fantasy/comedy show I recommend giving this series a shot.

Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 (Attack on Titan Final Season Part 2)

119437l.jpg

SnK/AoT is nearing it's end, and the going is only getting more hype! I was meant to read this as a manga before this final season would continue, but despite owning all the volumes I got only 5 volumes in before I put it on-hold (will finish it surely, but whether I do it before the series ends is something that I can't yet say hah hah!)

I have heard some worrying things about the ending of this show, but so far the plot is as engaging and intense as before and I'm eagerly waiting each episode!

Also that new OP... Damn! Absolute banger!

Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru (My Dress-Up Darling)

119897l.jpg

I fell in love with this show instantly. I also am currently catching up the manga as well. The concept is interesting, so far it has been cute, ecchi/fanservice has been tasteful and I LOVE MARIN KITAGAWA SO MUCH! It's been a long time since I fell this hard for any anime character, but when I learned that the main girl would be gyaru, who is also otaku and super wholesome cutie all around I knew that she would jump on my favorite girl-list fast.

So far my favorite show of this season with SnK and Priconne.

Vanitas no Karte Part 2 (The Case Study of Vanitas part 2)

120021l.jpg

First season of Vanitas was a positive surprise to me, and it finally gave me the motivation to read Pandora Hearts from the same mangaka (... which I haven't finished yet, but also liking it a lot too) and based on the first episode the second half of the show will be the same stuff as the season 1. First episode was interesting and the action and comedy are both pretty great.

Platinum End

116221l.jpg

(Continuing from the previous season)

Still having trouble to comprehend how the mangaka behind Death Note and Bakuman managed to create one of the most dull death-game anime of all time with one of the most annoying, generic and laughable cast. I guess the plot-twists combined with everything going around it manages to make this entertainingly bad at least, but I still can't recommend watching this show.

I also love that every time Band-Maid gets their fast-paced power metal song in some OP the animation in the OP is non-existent and consist of either still-images, or people just standing around while the epic power metal blasts on.

Shaman King (2021)
113270l.jpg

(Continuing from spring 2021 season)

Even if the adaptation wouldn't be this lackluster I still probably wouldn't get the hype behind this show. It's a B-tier shounen with some "darker" elements in it. The concept was interesting at first, but at some point it just lost all the potential in my eyes. Most of the cast is bland and generic and I still don't get why Manta even exists in this whole show. There are still two or three characters I enjoy watching so I guess that's a plus.

And that was my first-impressions of this anime season.

Thanks to anyone who read this through!

Seasonal anime (winter - 2022) - Rankings, ratings and comments before the next seasons "First impressions"

Winter 2022 anime season has come to an end. And before I get to share my first impressions on the spring 2022 season shows I will go back and rate the shows I watched. I will also add retrospectively 2 shows I forgot to put on my first journal post, and tell my opinions on those. The order which I will go through the series are from worst to best, and I will not put cover-arts of the shows this time around.

I will also include show(s) that are almost finished airing.

Please note that these aren't really a reviews of the series. Just my small comments about them with a rating slapped in as well.

Without further ado. Here's my Winter 2022 rankings and ratings!

15. Platinum End - 2/10

I still have a hard time wrapping my head around how the creative minds behind Death Note and Bakuman managed to create this series. Instead of a story, that had a characters with personalities this felt like the mangaka just used every character as their spokesperson while making them say his opinions and his "big brain moments" to the viewer, while doing a bare minimum with the story so this would pass as an anime, and not some weird animated essay. This show is not worth anyone's time, and only good thing that I can say about it that they got Band-Maid and Aimer to do OP/ED songs.

14. Shaman King - 4/10

Show started off as an mediocre B-tier shounen, but eventually devolved into a boring series with some of the most weird powering-up system in any of these types of anime. Rushed pace doesn't really help it's case either. I liked few of the characters, but equally just thought that Manta for example didn't serve any purpose in the story. I haven't read the original manga, but I would wager that you get much better experience by going with it than watching this reboot.

13. Shuumatsu no Harem - 4/10

Usually I just look for two things from my ecchi shows: Good fanservice and fun plot that I can watch while I turn off my brains, This show really didn't deliver in either of those. Fanservice was sub-par, and the plot of the show wasn't that engaging. Apparently the studio either ran out of money or rushed the final episode out, because the animation was pretty much non-existent, and the voice lines and fxs didn't mach what was happening in the screen at all. Can't really recommend this one even to the most hardcore ecchi-enthusiast out there.

12. Dolls Frontline - 5/10

Mediocre adaptation of the main storyline of the game made to fit in animated format. As a timewaster it was alright. And if you like the game you might get a kick out of this. As someone who has played the game I just think it was ok. Nothing much to say about this.

11. Kaijin Kaihatsu-bu no Kuroitsu-san - 5/10

There was a potential for a fun show, and it had it's moments, but this ended up being a wasted potential with a few good moments in it. Characters were alright for the most part and as a parody for Tokusatsu this could've been way worse aas well. I honestly can't say much about this one either. It was ok.

10. Fantasy Bishoujo Juniku Ojisan to - 6/10

A little bit different isekai, with a romance and comedy tone combined with a little gender-bend-aspect. It was fairly cute and wholesome, and among all the carbon-copy isekai-series out there it stood out nicely. Would absolutely like to see S2 of this and see where the romance between the main characters develop.

9. Kimetsu no Yaiba: Yuukaku-hen - 6.5/10

I'm not the biggest KnY-fan around, but Ufotable did amazing job with the adaptation, and Entertainment District-arc is my second favorite arc from the series if I'd have to rank them so overall it was pretty enjoyable ride. Since Zenitsu is also sleeping majority of this arc he didn't got on my nerves as much as he usually does. So that's cool I guess.

8. Akebi-chan no Sailor-fuku - 7/10

I'm a sucker for CGDCT-shows, and Akebi-chan definitely gave my seasonal fix for this sort of stuff. It was a comfy and wholesome show that had a pretty episodic structure as these type of shows tend to have. Has potential for second season, since I think that some characters in a pretty large cast were downplayed quite a bit.

7. Delicious Party Pretty Cure - 7(?)/10

New PreCure started in the middle of February, but after five episodes Toei got hacked or something, and this series went for an indefinite hiatus as far as I know. Can't really say much about it other than out of all the PreCure-series I've seen this one is the weakest, but it only has had 5 episodes aired, so that may very well change as this comfy-ass mahou-shoujo continues.

6. Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san 3 - 7/10

Still surprised that I actually liked season 3 quite a bit. Takagi-san wasn't really my jam despite being a SoL-junkie, and the main reason for that was that the series gets extremely repetitive after three episodes and the cuteness-factor can only carry the show so much from that point onwards. New couples presented and the girl-trio familiar from the previous seasons brought a nice change to the formula and the progressions in the romance between Takagi and Nishikata felt more significant this time around. Positive surprise for me.

5. 86: Eighty-Six 2nd Season - 7.5/10

After countless recap-episodes and 3 months long break before the final two episodes aired we finally have wrapped up the second season of 86. First season was a positive surprise in my eyes and the second season continues the same route as the first one, only leaving the Major aside for the most part, and focusing the remaining members of the group 86. Themes of war, racism, human vs. the machine/AI were handled in an ok-fashion and I had a blast with this series overall.

4. Vanitas no Karte Part 2 - 8/10

Vanitas has been pretty interesting series so far in the same vein as the mangaka's previous work Pandora Hearts (still in the middle of reading it). Interesting premise with ainteresting characters sucked me in from the start. Season 2's bigger plot in the first half (Beast of Gevaudan-case) was great, and only thing I really wasn't jazzed about was Vanitas x Jeanne becoming more of an actual thing here. I'm not usually salty about canon ships inside the anime, but for some reason this one irk's me to no end.

3. Princess Connect: Re Dive Season 2 - 8/10

One of the best gacha-game adaptations gladly got it's second season. And like the predecessor this one is also filled with nice SoL, good comedy and pretty neat action. It's from the same director who did the Konosuba-anime, and it really shows. I definitely recommend this if you're in for some more action-based slice-of-life. Also no need to worry if you haven't played the game. The anime works wonderfully as it's own adaptation separated from the source material. So it's not just fanservice for the fans of the mobile game.

2. Shingeki no Kyojin: The Final Season Part 2 - 9/10

Can't wait to write about SnK: The Final Season part 19! But seriously this might be my favorite season with the S3 Part 1 (unpopular opinion, but I freaking loved part 1 hah hah!). Don't want to go into spoiler-territory, but damn the episode 5 might be the peak AoT. The season overall was a hype-beast (or titan) from beginning to end and there wasn't a single bad episode. Character and plot-development were both great and I can't wait for the final part of the final season in 2023. I own the whole manga so now might be a good time to read through it though. Also Rumbling by SiM is probably my favorite SnK OP!

1. Sono Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru - 9/10

From the first episode I knew that Marin Kitagawa would shake the balance of my TOP-tier waifu list, and that she did. Cosplaying weeaboo gyaru who's cute and wholesome as all hell? Sign me in! I also ended up catching up the manga while this aired, and can say that the adaptation was awesome. Romance between Gojo and Marin is nice to see and the overall concept of the show is interesting and the fanservice moments sort-of fit in with the theme, which was nice.

Overall I personally loved this show, and it was my favorite one from the winter 2022 anime season. SnK wasn't much behind it for me though.

And that's that. Every anime I watched in winter 2022 season ranked. First impressions of the new season's anime shows will be up in about week or two (if there's anyone interested in them hah hah!)

As always thanks for reading and checking my random-ass journal out!

Last edited:

Seasonal anime (spring- 2022) - First impressions and updates for continuing shows

It took me only... Hallfway of the ongoing anime season to get around this one, but I guess I can throw more accurate opinions of them now that I've seen multiple episodes of shows I've started.

Once again One Piece won't be included, since I'm WAY behind it, and seriously contemplating on just changing to manga with it.

Like last time I will refrain from talking about any spoilers. If I do I will appropriately mark them as such.

Hopefully you'll enjoy reading through this!

Aharen-san wa Hakarenai
120636l.jpg

Pretty comfy SoL-comedy with light romance elements. Some jokes land better than the others, and the dynamic between Raidou and Aharen is fun to watch. If you want guaranteed comfy times this show is pretty safe choice to pick for that.

Black Rock Shooter: Dawn Fall (Dropped after 3 episodes)
121866l.jpg

I rarely drop shows, no matter how bad they are. I suffer serious case of completionism, and if I start something I will suffer it till the end, and even pick the following seasons up when they air (like Overlord in next season), but this one I just couldn't sit through.

First of all. Did BRS need a sequel? Was there any market for this? I think that the OVA and the first TV-show kind of milked all the potential the OG song and MV presented, and the TV-show even overstayed it's welcome in my eyes. This show strips the interesting aspects of the original concept away and just makes it your average dystopian, post-apocalyptic action-fest with some shock-value scenes sprinkled here and there I guess. Animation looks janky and all the interesting aspects of the characters are stripped away to make them one-note stereotypes.

Only positive thing I really can say about this is music. Always nice to hear Mili's tracks in any show.

Date A Live IV

121295l.jpg

First season of DAL was ok-ish fanservice romp, and the following seasons kinda bad. The spin-off movie Mayuri's Judgement is actually one of the worst anime movies I've sat through. That being said this fourth season has been... Watchable I guess? It's the same old same old, but at least I enjoy my time with it once a week enough.

New spirits have been kinda nice as well, but still Kurumi and Kotori (and maybe that idol spirit) are the best girls!

Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Ultra-Romantic

118919l.jpg

I freaking love this show, and the third season has not made my opinion of it waver in the least, in fact the total opposite. This series has slowly cemented itself among my favorite romance-anime ever with it's fun gimmick that hasn't grown old. It's always a blast to sit back and watch the mindgames, big-brain moves and overthinking Kaguya and Shirogane do, as well as the other characters doing their thing(s).

I will also throw here that the manga from the makers of Kaguya-Sama called "Oshi No Ko" is also absolutely worth a read. If you want an idol-manga that soon develops into something completely different than cute and wholesome idol-stuff I recommend checking this one out.

Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san

121695l.jpg

Shikimori-san is cool and cute, but that's about it.

It's an ok timewaster with some cute moments in it, but I'm not sure if the gimmick of this series will carry it even in the end of the first season. I really loved first episode, and proceeded to read two volumes of the manga after that, but for now I put it on-hold. I felt like I will just get bored of the gimmick faster if I continue it, and will just watch the anime adaptation for now. Characters are pretty fun and the relationship between Shikimori and Izumi is comfy to watch, but as said I'm not sure how well the gimmick of Shikimori being cool and cute will age as the series goes on.

Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. 2nd season

121157l.jpg

From an anime relying on a gimmick that grows old fast to another one in the same vein. I read Komi-san about 150 chapters before the first season before putting it on-hold as well. When 5 pages feel like 50 pages you know the manga might not be for you.

However with Komi-san the anime adaptation works better for some reason. I'm not entirely sure why, but I much rather just keep watching the same events transpire in anime than read them in manga. While I can't really recommend Komi-san manga to many people I absolutely can recommend it's anime-adaptation. It's an ok comedy-anime which at least of writing this first-impression hasn't worn it's gimmick out, however the anime is in the point where I was starting to get tired of the gimmick in the manga, so that might be subject of change.

Kono Healer, Mendokusai!

121221l.jpg

Annoying healer loli being annoying. Sometimes it's funny, most of the time I just feel bad for the MC to be forced to travel with her. A series that I don't really recommend picking up.

Kunoichi, Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi

121365l.jpg

Souichirou Yamamoto! You can't hide your big-forehead fetish from me!

So things are going well for the mangaka of Takagi-san. Takagi-san received it's 3rd season, this series got adapted and in the next season Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru is also getting adapted. Apparently people seem to love his works and teasing-trend that I think he mainly started with Nagatoro-san.

This series is a bit different though. It's like... Naruto with little girls? There's a separation of man and women going on for spoiler-y reasons, but our MC is starting to get interested in the men and don't think they are all evil monsters that their teacher is claiming them to be. Show mainly consists of SoL-events and ninja-training/action, so it's not like Takagi and Ayumu where the teasing and romance are the gimmick and driving force of the series.

So far this has been pretty ok watch. Nothing special, but I've had fun with it. The Peggies doing the intro is also a huge plus.

Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai 2nd Season

121947l.jpg

Love Live! Is one of my favorite franchises of all time, so this was one of the most anticipated anime for me in this season. So far the second season of Nijigasaki has been every bit amazing as the first one. New rival idol and characters have been interesting, and I always welcome more cute idol-action and banger songs! Also the yuri/shoujo-ai vibes are strong with this one!

Karin, Setsuna, Rina, Ai, Konoe and Kazumi my beloved ❤️

Machikadou Mazoku: 2-Choume

109005l.jpg

Machikadou Mazoku is one of the more udnerrated CGDCT SoL-series in my opinion. First season was absolutely hilarious and blast to watch, and second season continues on the same tracks while progressing the plot of the series nicely. If you're fan of CGDCT this is a series I warmly recommend for you!

Also Yuuko x Momo ftw!

Otome-Game Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu

121462l.jpg

Started this since my partner said this would be my jam, and I guess I understand where they came from with that claim, but like most of the isekai it's just... Meh. The gimmick that differentiates it from it's competitors isn't that interesting, and while I get a giggle out of seeing MC being a smug dick to people there's not much else that I enjoy with this one.

Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei Shitemita. Heart

118948l.jpg

"Mom! Can we get Kaguya-Sama!"

"No honey. We have Kaguya-Sama at home."

"Kaguya-Sama at home: This show"

Science Fell In Love... Is an alright romcom with an ok gimmick carrying it, but the similarities with Kaguya-Sama are made even more obvious by the fact that they are aired at the same day and I pretty much watch them back-to-back. There's still things I really like in this series, so if you want a nice fix of romance with a dash of sciency stuff thrown in the mix this might be worth checking out.

Shachiku-san wa Youjo Yuurei ni Iyasaretai

121945l.jpg

Started this one because a friend recommended it to me. It's an ok dose of comfiness. It offers nothing for people who aren't into CGDCT and comfy SoL, but if those are your thing this series might be worth checking out.

Spy x Family

122795l.jpg

As a person who was already caught-up with the manga I already knew what I was getting with this series, and it didn't disappoint. Great idea executed well. Great blend of action, comedy and intriguing plot. It's also extremely cute, wholesome and heartwarming. As someone who's read the manga and watching this adaptation I definitely can give my warm recommendation to this series. One of the instances where they huge hype beforehand was warranted in my opinion.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 2

121863l.jpg

So yeah... I really dislike this season.

First season's first half was really good. I really liked the fact that Naofumi had to claw his way up from the bottom and prove that Shield Hero isn't some wretched useless demon. Second half was pretty ok was well, but nothing compared to the first season.

This season however is pretty bad. Apparently a whole training arc that was used to introduce some characters that we meet in the first episode is completely cut-of from this, so you immediately get a whiplash because there are characters that you technically should know already, but who aren't introduced to the viewer except with one or two passing sentence. Then we get to the meat of this season, which is the Spirit Tortoise. The buildup to the fight is bad, and the payoff of this buildup isn't faring well either. Sad to see that one of the few isekai-shows that I actually enjoyed has devolved into a shadow of it's former self.

New OP song from the MADKID though. That shit bangs hard! Best OP in this season probably.

Tomodachi Game

119153l.jpg

I'm a simple person. I see tag "Psychological" and I immediately take interest of the show in question.

Tomodachi Game has been pretty underwhelming "Survival game" for now. The concept of the series was pretty weak from the start, and the fact that the hosts of the game feel the need to explain everything to the viewer takes all the possible enjoyment that one could have while watching these games play out away. One of the funniest things to do while watching these kind of shows or reading them as manga is to figure out how the MC or someone else outsmarted everyone else, or how they hatched a plot to win the game. That element is non-existent here thanks to the narration and the series feeling the need to hold it's viewers hand all the time.

Magia Record: Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica Gaiden (TV) Final Season - Asagi Yume no Akatsuki

122298l.jpg

(Already finished it's run at the beginning of the season)

Magia Record was always mediocre adaptation of the mobile game at best. The plot followed the main plot of the game and tried it's best to put it in the anime form, but sadly didn't really deliver in that aspect. Also this is first time ever I've been disappointed in Shaft's animation and work. In the second season there were a lot of errors in animation, sounds etc. Gladly they weren't a problem in the final season, but wanted to mention it here.

I can only recommend this spin-off anime if you absolutely love Madoka Magica, and don't want to play the game.

And that was my first-impressions of this anime season.

Thanks to anyone who read this through!

Last edited:

MatchaMochi's jams of the week

Trying something a bit different this time, which is me sharing my most listened albums of the week (according to Last.fm. Might add some physical releases listened and mobile listens if I know they make it on the list). Might not do this weekly, but I try to do these every once in a while.

Every album on the list is also something I genuinely like and can recommend giving a shot, so if I did listen a bad album I will replace it with the most listened album I like after that.

So without further ado. Here's the list:

topsters2-3.jpg

Records in order:
1. At The Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
2. Arctic Monkeys - Favorite Worst Nightmare
3. The Black Dahlia Murder - Ritual
4. Devin Townsend - Ziltoid the Omnicient
5. Kaunis Kuolematon - Vapaus
6. The Black Dahlia Murder - Everblack
7. The Black Dahlia Murder - Miasma
8. The Black Dahlia Murder - Nocturnal
9. Opeth - Damnation
10. Opeth - Ghost Reveries
11. Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
12. Vorna - Sateet Palata Saavat
13. Death - The Sound of Perseverance
14. Riverside - Love, Fear and the Time Machine
15. My Bloody Valentile - Loveless
16. Slowdive - Souvlaki​

Last edited:

MatchaMochi's jams of the week #2

Did this one like... Two weeks ago actually, but thought to throw it here. Loads of Depeche Mode and The Cure-records. Was on a pretty huge discography-binge for both of these bands.

Next one will assumably be filled with post-rock and shoegaze. This Will Destroy You, Planning For Burial, Have A Nice Life, Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai, World End's Girlfriend and the groups like that have been the name of the game for me these past weeks.

topsters2.jpg

Last edited:

MatchaMochi's jams of the week #3 and #4

This third one is again a few weeks old. Listened a lot of post-rock and shoegaze, as well as old progressive rock favorites of mine:

topsters2 (3).jpg

The fourth one is a recent one, and shows what kind of stuff I've listened recently. Mostly rock, dream pop, future-funk and that sort of stuff. Some Japanese rock and music in general:

topsters2 (4).jpg

Starting to compile my seasonal anime ranking-list as well now that almost every show airing in the season has ended, so if there's anyone interested in that you should expect it to drop soon!

Last edited:

Seasonal anime (spring - 2022) - Rankings, ratings and comments before the next seasons "First impressions"

Spring 2022 anime season is now over. And to describe it there were great heighs, but lots of "mid" stuff in it for me too. Also one of the biggest disappointments in recent memory.

I will also include show(s) that are almost finished airing.

Please note that these aren't really a reviews of the series. Just my small comments about them with a rating slapped in as well.

Without further ado. Here's my spring 2022 rankings and ratings!

16. Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari Season 2 - 2 / 10

Oh how the... Decent isekai has fallen! I honestly don't have anything good to say about this outside of the fact that the MADKID's OP song slaps hard. Whole arcs worth of content was skipped, pacing was crap, animation and art looked sub-par (not that the S1 had amazing animation or art either, but even compared to that this was a letdown), characters were the same and no real development was made for any of them.

15. Kono Healer, Mendokusai - 3 / 10

Nothing is worse than a bad, repetitive comedy, and this show really the embodiment of that. One-note joke that is repeated from the first episode gets stale well before episode 2, and only thing going for this was somewhat funny enemies and sidecast the main couple/group encountered. Not worth the watch in my opinion.

14. Otome-Game Sekai wa Mob ni Kibishii Sekai desu - 4 / 10

It's no secret that in general I'm not the biggest isekai-fan. Most of the stuff pumped out is generic at best, and very few titles manage to do something that actually captivates me and makes me interested in the characters, world and the series as a whole. Last time something like this happened was with Mushoku Tensei which started as an anime over a year ago. Otome-game-isekai subgenre isn't as big in the anime (yet) as it is in manga and webtoon-form. And the first major one that got adapted into an anime called Otome Game no Hametsu Flag shika Nai Akuyaku Reijou ni Tensei shiteshimatta... was a decent fun series. Not even close being my favorite, but at least it was something different when compared to other isekai stuff out there.

This series is just like any other isekai, but it's just set in an otome-game-world, where men are treated more like a slaves rather than human (unless you have high status of course), and despite the setup suggesting something that leans more to the shoujo-side like the Otome Game no Hametsu Flag... this one aims for the shounen demographic. This show is easily one of the blandest things I've seen in a while. I barely even remember seeing it anymore. Only character I liked was the queen. and where the MC had like one or two moments where he made me grin behind the screen I still didn't find him, or anyone else interesting. Plot is standard isekai-stuff, and the only thing that really sets this world apart from other isekai worlds are the inclusion of mechas and floating islands like in Grandblue Fantasy.

13. Date A Live - 5 / 10

Despite the mediocre rating this was more of a positive surprise to me than anything. Two last seasons were downirght awful to sit through, and the filler-movie is one of the worst things that has ever come out of this medium in general, but the fourth season was actually watchable. New spirits were pretty nice. Animation and art were upgraded and looked nice, and of course Kurumi getting a background story and more in-depth arc was fun to see.

12. Tomodachi Game - 5 / 10

Mediocre mindgame-anime, that got better at the end. Overseers of the game over-explaining every detail that viewerts either can see or deduct themselves were pretty annoying and ruined some parts of the anime for me, and overall the show was a lukewarm experience for me. There are handful of better anime and manga with similar concept and better suspense out there (Liar Game is my personal recommendation from manga-side), but I guess it did it's job decently.

11. Shachiku-san wa Youjo Yuurei ni Iyasaretai. - 5 / 10

I honestly have almost nothing to say about this was. It was mediocre cute moe-stuff with really nothing that good or bad about it. IF you like CGDCT then this one's a decent watch I guess.

10. Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san - 5 / 10

There's one episode left of this show, but I doubt it will be any gamechanger. Shikimori-san starts with a cute and wholesome premise, delivers it, and then does little to nothing more than that. What you see is what you get. Cute and cool gf being cute and cool and giving you the "Oh god I wish I was in the male leads shoes" reaction. Anime looks really nice which is plus, but it doesn' save the one-note plot and the fact that it gets tiresome after three or so episodes. Tried to read the manga, but dropped it after two or three volumes.

9. Rikei ga Koi ni Ochita no de Shoumei shitemita. Heart - 6 / 10

Kaguya-sama lite. MCs are science-nerds, who want to scientifically determine if they love each other, and to put other things related to the feelings of love into equations and formulas. This is the second season, and the plot sort-of progress. Not much, but enough to make it feel that this just didn't drag in it's place. Even though I feel like this is sort-of a Kaguya-sama lite I still find it cute and enjoyable enough to give it a shot if you like romance anime.

8. Kunoichi, Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi - 6 / 10

If you take Naruto, replace every character with a loli, made the main focus a slice of life and gave 75% of the characters a giant forehead you'd get this series. For a CGDCT/SoL it was alright.

7. Komi-san wa, Comyushou desu. 2nd Season - 7 / 10

As someone who's read manga about 150-ish chapters this series works so much better in anime-form, and I honestly don't know why. This was the part where the manga started to feel like a huge-drag to read for me, but while watching anime I didn't feel like I was forcing myself to watch it. Good stuff! SAdly I think the romance aspect of this series won't get development in anytime soon.

6. Aharen-san wa Hakarenai - 7 / 10

Cute comedy anime with some cute and funny moments, but what made me give this one point more was the fact that the romance actually went somewhere! Holy shit! Usually in these type of shows the romance aspect is left hanging and forgotten, but this time it actually wasn't just a romance bait. The gimmick on the anime was also decent and didn't overstay it's welcome.

5. Machikado Mazoku: 2-choume - 8 / 10

First season of Machikado Mazoku was great. Cute, actually pretty funny and had yuri/shoujo-ai elements. This second season makes the plot of the series move forward while keeping the same comfy and cute vibes going. Definitely one of the better shows in the genre at the moment if you ask me.

4. Spy X Family - 8.5 / 10

What?!? The most anticipated anime of the season isn't my favorite? Nope, but it still damn good. I had read the manga so I knew exactly what I was getting myself into, and it didn't disappoint. Animation was great, the charm from the manga was there and it's all around cute and wholesome fun. I myself prefer a manga tad-bit more though.

3. Paripi Koumei - 9 / 10

This didn't make my first-impression-list, since I decided to binge-watch it right after the last episode aired. And I'm glad I did. The nonsensical premise of the show was what got me interested with an OP-song that is one hell of a banger. And the beautiful look of the series, that nonsensical idea done really well and awesome characters were what made it one of my favorites in this season. Highly recommending giving this one a shot if you want a music anime, that's a bit different.

2. Love Live! Nijigasaki Gakuen School Idol Doukoukai 2nd season - 9 / 10

Nijigasaki is probably my favorite Love Live! Iteration. I absolutely love majority of the cast, the new idols were absolutely adorable and great characters and every episode was extremely fun to watch. My yuri/shoujo-ai shipping censorts were also working the overdrive as usually with LL. Of course one can not forget the music, which as usual is amazing. Out of all the subgroups though my favorite has to be DiverDiva. I love the voices of Ai and Karin so much!

1. Kaguya-sama wa Kokurasetai: Ultra Romantic - 9.5 / 10

My favorite anime of this season was the third season of one of my favorite romance aniime of all time. Character-dynamics, plot progression, humor, animation and art, music, everything was just great. And the gimmick of this series is still going strong. Might be because the plot progresses at a nice pace and some major developments were made during the season.

Also that rap-episode was god-tier stuff man.

And that's a wrap. All of the spring 2022 anime shows I completed rated. Next one is the summer seasons first impressions, but since the last show I start will start airing in August that will take a little time to get around to.

Seasonal anime (summer- 2022) - First impressions and updates for continuing shows

This time I'm quite early with my first-impressions. However this season is quite weird, since three of the shows I will start to watch will start either late July or early August. So after writing this there is one series I might start watching that falls into this season, but if I do watch it I include it in the rankings.

Other than that this is same old stuff.

One "rule" I forgot to mention before is that I won't include movies and OVA/special episodes in these rankings. So these ratings are mainly reserved for TV and ONA anime. If I feel like talking about some movie or OVA I will most likely do own review for it. Two Yuukoku No Moriarty OVA's dropped last night which reminded me that I probably hadn't made this clear (also for those that are interested. I liked them. First OVA was much better than second one though).

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka IV: Shin Shou - Meikyuu-hen
120373l.jpg

One of the two shows I'm mainly watching just because I've seen the previous season, OVAs, specials etc. First season of DanMachi was watchable little fantasy-stuff, but the quality of the show has dropped quite a bit from it. Bell is easily one of the most generic and boring protagonists in the whole medium, and really only thing that separates him from the worst one of the whole medium (Kirito from SAO) is the fact that we actually see his abilities developing and him becoming stronger in a way that makes sense and makes it seem that he actaully earned the new abilities and whatnot. Harem-aspect of this show is also pretty frustrating when taken accord that the protagonist is less interesting to follow than a can of paint rolling downhill.

Animation is ok, show looks ok, and so far the plot has been same old stuff. So my guess is that this season will be the same stuff as the previous one.

Hataraku Maou-sama!!

124354l.jpg

Never, even in my wildest dreams would I have thought that this series of all things would get second season almost ten or so years after the first season aired. Not that I really mind it since I remember first season being a decent show with some funny moments in it. So far the second season has been... ok? I honestly can't remember much about the first one, and this season seems to be on-par with the first based on what I remember of it. Animation and art are alright, and the cast is pretty funny and equally good.

Kanojo, Okarishimasu 2nd Season

124557l.jpg

Oh boy... Where do I even begin with this one...

Kanojo, Okarishimasu is like a car-accident happening in front of you and where you're in a position where you can't help or interact with the situation in any way. It's horrible, there's only some tiny silver linings in the whole situation which really don't make the overall situation any better, but for some reason you can't help but keep following it to see what happens next.
MC is painful to follow. I get what they were after with him, but the execution of the type of character they wanted to make went horribly wrong, and every time he's on the screen I'm rolling on the floor in pain because of the cringe. Tomoko Kuroki is a proof that you can make this type of cringy character, but actually make them fun to follow, bu yeah this series didn't sadly pull it like Watamote did.

Plot is pretty stagnant, romance-aspect of this show is stale. Girls are ok I guess except Mami and the production is decent. Don't really have any high hopes for this show.

Love Live! Superstar!! 2nd Season

124173l.jpg

I freaking love Love Live! So yeah this one's easy. Probably the best Love Live! with Nijigasaki even though I initially thought this would be the weakest. Kanon is the best main character in any LL iteration and the four other original members are adorable and amazing. New recruits also seem pretty fun and interesting based on the screentime they've had. I have high hopes that this will be as good as the first season, and I don't really see any reason why it wouldn't be, since Love Live has been consistently great franchise ever since the School Idol Project.

Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou

122519l.jpg

Finally! Made In Abyss anime is getting the second season! First season and the third movie were amazing, and got me absolutely hooked on the world and the characters this beautifully dark journey has to offer. Second season continues to keep me engaged into the world and the new sixth layer seems to be really interesting too. Also the flashback scenes and the story told in them is interesting too. OP and ED are both bangers and the animation and art is gorgeous. Might actually read this as a manga during this season airs since I'm once again so invested in this stuff, and know I will love the manga as much as the anime, or even more.

The amount of fart and shit-humor has been the only downside for me, since more often than not they are a total miss for me.

Mamahaha no Tsurego ga Motokano datta

123281l.jpg

With a title "My Stepmom's Daughter is my Ex" you know EXACTLY what kind of trash you're getting yourself into, however sometimes trash can be extremely entertaining, and so far this show has been pretty entertaining for all the wrong, or right reasons depending where you're coming from. I get a few chuckles with a few episodes. The problem I kinda have with this comes from the art. The show looks exactly the same as Higehiro few seasons ago, even though they don't have same creators. It also sounds the same thanks to the same group making the OP. Maybe the studio just likes to use the exact same style for all of their shows? Which I'm really not vibing if that's the case.

Overlord IV

120110l.jpg

Time for one of my hottest anime hot-takes: I don't like Overlord.

First season was ok base for the story that could take interesting direction, but after that my problems with the show became to rise. For the sake of not going to a full-blown rant here the main reasons are bad pacing, especially in the first halfs of the second and third season, main plot progressing at the snails-pace, lack of any suspension in any fight (and most of the hyped-up battles being over in under a minute), Horrible CGI and the characters not being all that interesting with one or two exceptions. So far this season has continued on the same tracks, except that the six "mandatory" episodes of poor world building seems to be gone, which is a definite plus. Openings and endings of this series has always been a few highlights, and this time they don't betray either.

I'm sure that this series would've been much better experience for me if I would've just read the light-novels, but at this point I will just stick with the anime till the end, and never touch the LN or manga after experiencing the ending of this whole series.

Saikin Yatotta Maid ga Ayashii

123845l.jpg

One note-joke anime of the season from the creator of Jahy-sama. Maid is cute and the first episode was ok. Can't really say anything else since only the first episode has aired as of writing this.

Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru

124069l.jpg

ANOTHER SERIES FROM THE CREATOR OF TAKAGI-SAN! And again the girls all seem to have huge foreheads. You can't hide your preferences from me! Anyway so far I enjoy this more than Takagi-san, though that might just be because of the fact that this hasn't gotten the chance to get repetitive yet. I think the dynamic of the main couple is ok and the side-characters are decent. Production-wise it's good as well.

Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro

123280l.jpg

A haven't met anyone who's heard of this show/light-novel. First anime was pretty interesting with a neat world, romance, mystery and nation-building in it. This is the continuation to the sequel however, which admittedly wasn't on par with the original series, despite the characters being fairly solid and fun to follow. So far this continuation has left me scratching my head and confused. It's ok in general, and since I finished the season 2 on the same day this begun the show is still fairly clear on my mind, but some of the twist and turns have just left me confused. Hopefully the series answers them as it goes on. OP song is pretty good and production-wise the series continues in the vein of it's predecessor.

Yofukashi no Uta

123711l.jpg

This series from the creator of Dagashi Kashi has been a positive surprise to me. I even started reading manga after the first episode. Backgrounds and the atmosphere in this show is something I really vibe with, and so far the characters. In both anime and manga have been fun to follow around. The going has been more slice of life-stuff which I really like as well, but the series will have some action and stuff later on, which I hope will be adapted well. I also really like casting on this anime a lot. Voices fit characters perfectly.

Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e (TV) 2nd Season

124180l.jpg

I binge-watched the first season on one sitting so I could jump-in on this season. Was it worth it? Well... Kind of. I liked the first season alright, but so far this season really hasn't gotten me hooked yet. It's pretty much the same stuff from the previous season and it continues exactly where it left off, but despite this being a bit different high-school anime with an interesting setup I'm still waiting for the going get more intense and interesting, like with the last game/test from the first season. Main character is someone I enjoy following quite a bit and the rest of the cast is pretty alright too. Animation and art aren't something to brag home about, but fitting for the series.

And those were my first-impressions of this season anime shows. Didn't start follow that many series, but that just means I have more time to dedicate older series, which is a good thing in my books!

Thank you for everyone who read this rambling through once again!

MatchaMochi's jams #5

Haven't posted the stuff I've listened recently here for a while, so decided to do TOP 42 of the records I've listened during past month.

Loads of classic new-wave stuff like The Smiths, The Cure, Depeche Mode and Siouxsie and The Banshees ( though they didn't make it to the list) and prog-rock/metal like Rush, Opeth and Gojira was listened during this month, with a healthy dose of black metal, death metal, symphonic metal, melodic death metal, classic rock and even idol metal sprinkled in here and there

topsters2 (5).jpg

MatchaMochi's rants and ventings #1 - Contemplating my love/hate relationship to roleplaying

I thought that the next time I update this journal would be when the summer season of anime ends with my ratings and opinions on the shows I watched (Spoiler: This season was mid as all hell with few exceptions), but since I want to give my thoughts and honest feelings a written form I thought that this OOC-journal would suit for these too.

I will put my rant on spoilers so there won't be a huge wall of text and so that it doesn't clash too harshly on the music and anime content, but here we go. It's a bunch of jumbled-up thoughts that I wrote here to kind of make myself feel better, so if you want to take a read at it keep that in mind:

Let's preface this rant by saying that any specific incident didn't cause this. This is a sum of many things which have piled up to the point where I'm once again thinking why the fuck I even bother with this crapshoot of a hobby that relies so much on cooperation between two writers, which rarely works. Also not directing this to anyone in any shape or form. These are just my general thoughts.

Have I ever been actually happy when I roleplay? I seriously started thinking this at the beginning of this week when I was recovering from the fever I was suffering from. And in all honestly I thought my answer would be "no". More often than not roleplaying does the complete opposite to me. And it's not about the roleplays themselves. It's from all the fruitless effort I realize I put into it. Roleplaying has never paid me off in any way, and I doubt it will. All the goals I set to achieve at least to some degree when I started doing this have stayed basically unfulfilled, and they probably will as long as I continue this, and every roleplay inevitably ends with a disappearing and silence act.

I basically am just throwing my time and energy away to random people online till they get bored of me and go search for someone else that they might get a better play going. Even the most promising of RPs are more often than not just doom to fail, and even if your partner seems like a person who gets along with you and gets a good OOC communication going they most likely will justend before it has really even started.

Of course I have to accept that not every RP is meant to be. That would be ridiculous. It's even ridiculous to think that even 50 or 70% of them will work out, but when I can confidently say that over 90% of the time the roleplaying ends either before it has even started, or within first five messages it becomes extremely frustrating and disheartening in the long-run.

But I digress. I continued thinking if I felt even an ounce of something I could call feeling of "happiness" with this hobby. And I realized that I have. It was in one of the RPs where there was an interaction between two romantically involved characters and they shared an extremely sweet moment after a decent buildup. I fucking loved reading it, and what I enjoyed even more was to make MC react to it. For the first time I really felt "Now this is what I'm talking about. Let's get these bitches all cute and flustered!" and the whole RP in general has just been a fresh and awesome reminder of the fact that I indeed love to write, and love to create stories with people.

Since I can derive fun and some amount of dopamine from this hobby once in every four years or so is it even worth doing anymore? So far I haven't been really burdened with it per-se. I mostly do this as a side-hussle while I work, so it doesn't really take up any time from things I actually find entertaining and funny consistently. However the catch is that my work ends next week, and after that I admittedly have a lot more free-time for the time being, but do I want to use even half-an-hour a day to something that will most likely be for naught?

Since I've talked this mostly as a perspective of a so-called victim I want to clarify that I'm sure that I am a problem too. Whether it's my self-defeating mindset (I go in to the plays with the mindset that they will fail, and all the effort will be pointless), the fact that I'm not the most well-versed creative writer on the block, the fact that I tend to limit myself with my preferences quite a bit, the fact that I'm probably all that nice person to chat and play with from the fact that I sound always serious and try to compensate it with writing shit like "hah hah" and "lol" to my inconsistent pace. The fact that the majority of the people feel the need to ghost me probably speaks volumes of how bad of a partner I am since I can't even keep them interested for a few replies, and sometimes not even the duration of the planning-phase.

I also am guilty of ghosting, so not any innocent saint when talking about the subject matter. I should've just come clean and say if things weren't working, but sadly for one reason or another I haven't always been able to do so, which I regret.

I've tried to look at this hobby from many angles. From the writers perspective, from hobbyist-perspective, from OOC-interaction perspective, and I honestly can find a handful of better and more rewarding options to all of these.

Is the draw of the collaborative writing so big deal for me that I want to pursue this even when I awknowledge these options and when there most likely won't be a change to the never-ending fruitless search?

I guess it is. Since despite awknowledging the problems and the fact that most of the time I think that russian-roulette is more rewarding hobby than roleplaying I still keep doing it, and most likely be somewhat active whether or not I like it, wishing to find a partner or two I can really vibe with and get along well. If it ever becomes more of a burden than it already sometimes is I know to let it go and just pursue literally anything else.

Rant over.

Seasonal anime (summer - 2022) - Rankings, ratings and comments before the next seasons "First impressions"

Summer 2022 anime season was simply extremely:
mid-i-have-no-name.gif

There were a few great sequels and series that came out, but most of the stuff I watched was either mediocre as all hell, or just plain bad.

I will talk about Delicious Party Pretty Cure when it finishes airing, but so far it has been the weakest PreCure I've sat through. Though this doesn't mean it's bad.

This season has been weird with it's airing-schedule, so I will be releasing this one a bit prematurely since the next season's shows are starting to air next week (and Yojouhan Time Machine Blues has already started to air actually).

Anyway. Here's my summer 2022 anime rankings:

14. Kanojo, Okarishimasu 2nd Season - 3/10

This was to be expected. Extremely frustrating series to follow due to all the cringe, but what really made this the worst series of the season for me was the fact that virtually no progress was made to any direction. This whole season felt like it could've been six episodes long and nothing worth of value would've been lost.

13. Overlord IV - 3/10

Another show I pretty much knew I wouldn't enjoy, but credit where the credit is due. At least this time we didn't have half a season of pointless worldbuilding before stuff happens. The series is still pretty uneventful since you know that no-one poses even a minor threat to Ainz and his goons, but I guess it was fun to see the main plot progress more than it had in two previous seasons. Also both OP and ED are bangers like they have always been in this series.

12. Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka IV: Shin Shou - Meikyuu-hen - 3/10

Same old DanMachi stuff. If you've seen three previous seasons you know exactly how this will play out. Bell was a tad-bit more bearable in this than in S2 or 3, but other than that not anything that will break any new grounds with this franchise.

11. Mamahaha no Tsurego ga Motokano datta - 4/10

Somehwat enjoyable trash. Had a few ok fanservice moments, but other than that nothing noteworthy happened. Felt like these 12 episodes were a proloque to admittedly pretty meh-sounding story. It was a bearable side-distraction, but wouldn't probably have picked this outside of the season.

10. Youkoso Jitsuryoku Shijou Shugi no Kyoushitsu e 2nd Season - 5/10

A huge letdown when taken-accord how decently entertaining the first season was. Tests and trials that Ayanokouji and the gang had to overcome this season weren't all that interesting when compared to the first season, but the last three episodes gladly paid-off and were pretty much on-par with the best parts of S1. Sadly as a whole this was pretty mediocre experience all around.

9. Hataraku Maou-sama!! - 5/10

TI watched the first season way back when and remember that it was pretty entertaining, but the second season sadly wasn't as positive experience for me as I thought it would be. Gladly it continues from where the first season left-off, and plot-wise the series is still an ok-watch, but holy crap did the art and animation took a nose-dive. Series looked extremely scuffed and didn't really felt like a comeback of a fairly anticipated series.

8. Saikin Yatotta Maid ga Ayashii - 5.5/10

One-joke (This time "Meido is sus and I embarrass her by being upfront with my feelings" ) that gets repeated 11 episodes while some light plot is going around in the background. Nothing offensive, but nothing that interesting either. Lilith is cute I guess.

7. Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru - 5.5/10

Takagiverse continues with another anime (Also again. The big forehead kink of the mangaka is obvious) . This time centered around shogi and the main couple not being able to tell their feelings because the male MC wants to win her at the shogi, and the female MC just being oblivious to her own feelings. A bit better than Takagi's two first seasons, but pretty basic comfy stuff that you expect from this mangaka. Nothing to brag home about, but not a series I recommend to watch unless youreally love Takagi-san.

6. Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro - 6/10 (continuing to the next season)

This season has been the weakest Utawarerumono-season thus far. Feels rushed and all the political powergame and plotting is put on the side. I still quite like this series and hope that the second half will be better.

5.. Yofukashi no Uta - 8/10

Positive surprise. Like the atmosphere of the series and the characters are fun to follow. Has some light action among the fairly typical slice of life-stuff which is nice.

My friend described this one as a "slice of life show for doomers who like the nighttime", and I think that description is perfect.

4. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 6: Stone Ocean Part 2 - 9/10

First of all something a bit unrelated: I freaking hate when Netflix shits out the whole freaking series instead of giving us a one episode a week. Messes up my perfecly planned non-seasonal watching schedule.

Aside from that part 2 of the Stone Ocean is what you expect from JoJo. David Production has always adapted the series perfectly, but this time around I got the feeling that the production was rushed to some extent since most fights used very minimal animations and stills. It's not a big deal since I prefer JoJo as a manga anyway, but still would like to see the fights in manga animated. This half featured some of my favorite fights from the sixth part like Limp Bizkit and Jail House Lock,

Another thing that I noticed is that Netflix's subtitles were not good. Not only were some translations weird and wonky, but there were also an abnormal amount of grammatical errors that stood out to me like a sore-thumb.

3. Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou - 9/10

Made in abyss does what it has always done best. Amazing worldbuilding, interesting new locations, stories, lore and to top it all of make me cry like a little bitch that I am. This season was extremely interesting like the previous season and the movie and I can't wait to see what this series has in store.

Only minus was the huge amount of shit and fart-humor, which really doesn't fit in this type of show.

2. Lycoris Recoil - 9/10

I started to watch this one when episode 11 dropped. And I don't regret it at all. Chisato and Takina are cute together and the plot, animation and OST were all great. I started this because of all the cute Chisato x Takina fanart and definitely don't regret it. If you missed this one I highly recommend picking this one up at some point. Nice mixture of action and wholesome and cute stuff.

1. Love Live! Superstar!! 2nd Season - 10/10

When Superstar was announced I thought it would be my least favorite Love Live!, but against all odds it has turned into my favorite one. Liella is an amazing unit where every character shines. Kanon is easily the best LL-protagonist and Sumire x Keke fuels me. So much so that when one particular scene happened and I explained it to my partner I started to cry from joy. Comedy is also reminicent to Sunshine, which is always plus in my books. This time it's just funnier than it was on Sunshine.

Nijigasaki will come as close-second, but with this season Superstar proved itself to be my favorite Love Live!, but also one of my favorite anime shows.

And that's that. Every anime I watched this summer season. Next season seems to be more promising thanks to Mob Psycho, Spy X Family, Yojouhan Time Machine Blues and Fumetsu no Anata e 2nd Season. Urusei Yatsura reboot also is something I'm fairly interested in, despite never reading it as a manga or seeing the original anime.

Seasonal anime (fall- 2022) - First impressions and updates for continuing shows

Last time I was really early... This time some series have almost got tot heir halfway points. Been pretty busy with real life stuff to get around giving first impressions this time, but here they are if someone's interested

This will be the same old stuff, so without further ado let's get to into the meat of things.

Akuyaku Reijou nanode Last Boss wo Kattemimashita
126110l.jpg

I've really been into Otome isekai/otome villainess isekai as of late, so this show dropped at a perfect time. It's been entertaining and fun litltle dose of romance for my Saturdays, but this series feels extremely rushed. Fourth episode felt like the end of the series basically, but the new arc that followed it has been keeping things interesting gladly.

My partner who's read this as a manga confirmed to me that this series does skip some content and feels more like a recap for the readers of the manga, so will most likely check that out later. Nevertheless it's a fun little series so far.

Arknights: Reimei Zensou

128406l.jpg

I never really got into Arknights, but played it few months before dropping it in favor of other gacha-games. This series is basically an animated version of prologue so far, and it does it's job well. Story-aspect of Arknights was one thing I really liked so based on that this will probably be ok series. It's also only eight episodes longs so even if it fails in adapting the prologue well the commitment isn't that big.

Blue Lock

126929l.jpg

Sports anime are usually real wild-cards to me. As a person who couldn't care less for sports they usually end up being some of the most intense and engaging shows to watch through.

So far Blue Lock has been entertaining watch. It takes a bit different approach to a team-based sports like the football (Or soccer in USA) which is a positive little twist. Characters so far also have been interesting to their own right which is always a good sign for an anime like Blue Lock.

Unison Square Garden OP is always appreciated as well.

Bocchi The Rock!

127956l.jpg

Music anime? Hell yeah!

Music moe/CGDCT anime? Double hell yeah!

Music moe/CGDCT anime with one of the cutest and relatable leads? Triple hell yeah!

Bocchi The Rock is becoming one of my favorite anime series in this season. I always love band anime combined with SoL like K-On! and this series is something along those lines. Comedy is great and the main leads are all fun to watch, but the main character especially is a cute and relatable. Definitely recommending this one to any cute girls doing cute things fans out there!

Boku no Hero Academia 6th Season

126005l.jpg

Slowly but surely I have lost my interest in BNHA. I caught-up with the manga month back and where there are still aspects I like and characters I really do like everything after the Villain arc and currently airing war-arc has felt a drag to get through. My ever-growing dislike towards the series main character might also have something to do with my enjoyment value though.

I had my fears and doubt after seeing how poorly villain-arc was adapted, but so far this season has been pretty nice to watch through. Of course the fact that my favorite hero is finally in limelight and that some of the most interesting plot-twists happen in this arc helps, but I doubt that everything after this arc will get any high-praises from me.

Chainsaw Man

126216l.jpg

Caught-up with the manga in this one as well. CSM is an entertaining series to read and watch and the anime-adaptation has been pretty much what I expected from MAPPA. Where I do prefer Fujimoto's earlier work Fire Punch over this I definitely do enjoy the over-the-top nature of this series as well. Reminds me a lot of Hellsing Ultimate at times.

Fumetsu no Anata e 2nd Season

127700l.jpg

To Your Eternity had an absolute banger of a start. I can't remember when a first episode of an anime got me as emotional as with this series. Sadly the series lost it's steam as it went on, but despite of it it was entertaining to watch and I really waited for this second season.

So far it has been the same stuff as the latter half of the first season. Enjoyable watch continuing with the themes and concepts from the first season. Glad they kept Hikaru Utada's "Pink Blood" as the OP song, since it's a beautiful song that fits to this series really well.

KanColle: Itsuka Ano Umi de

128721l.jpg

Will come to update this when the first episode airs. FIrst season and movie were meh. Game is alright. Mainly in it for the characters which some are really cool and cute.

Mob Psycho 100 III

125011l.jpg

HELL TO THE YES!

One of my favorite shounen series got it's third season and it's as good as the previous two so far. I really like what ONE did with this series and seeing it animated gorgeously with top-tier acting and OST I just can't do anything but praise it from my admittedly biased standpoint. If you haven't given this anime a shot I really recommend to do so. It's one of the more unique approaches to battle-shounen theme out there.

Spy x Family Part 2

127508l.jpg

Again another series where I'm fully caught-up with the manga and that I started way before the hype-train (Yes. I gotta have my hipster moment). First season was perfect adaptation of the manga with some tiny details changed that I wasn't a huge fan of, and the second season continues in the same vein. This time though I haven't noticed any details being changed around. Extremely wholesome and entertaining series to watch through!

Urusei Yatsura (2022)

129144l.jpg

I'm a bit late-bloomer when it comes to wonderful series of Rumiko Takahashi in general. I own InuYasha, Ranma 1/2 and a good chunk of Rinne as a manga, but have yet to read them, and I'm currently in the middle of watching InuYasha for the first time, which has been a fun series, though I will be changing it to manga soon.

This reboot of sorts of one of her classics has been amazing. One of my favorite shows in this season. I like the comedy and characters are all fun to follow.

Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai! Double

124715l.jpg

There seems to be loads of series that I've caught-up as a manga this season, and again this is one of them.

I'm not the biggest fan of this adaptation. Plotwise it does everything well, but it looks so... Gray and lifeless? And the artstyle doesn't work that well in animated format. I honestly can't wrap my finger completely around of what I don't like this adaptation, but there's something there.

Plotwise it's a nice romcom. As a manga reader I can say that it will pay off and that the formula/joke of the series changes most likely in the end of this season. So if you want some nice romcom this might do the fix for you.

Yama no Susume: Next Summit

126897l.jpg

Kind of surprised that this got fourth season, but I'm not complaining. It's a nice and comfy SoL in the vein of Yuru Camp. Four first episodes have been recaps of the three previous seasons so not much new has happened, but I have high hopes for this one.

Yojouhan Time Machine Blues

126128l.jpg

(Already finished it's run at the beginning of the season)

I freaking love Tatami Galaxy. Everything from the unique artstyle to the message of the series were straight A+ in my books. So when the adaptation of the spin-off was announced I was both extremely excited and afraid that it will not live up to this hype.

How did it fair? Well it's obviously not Tatami Galaxy, but damn is it a great spin off that didn't let me down. The twist of the series is pretty easy to guess two or thee episodes in, but it didn't hamper my enjoyment at all. The ending was a perfect finisher for this franchise as well. I can warmly recommend this show, but do watch Tatami Galaxy before going in this one.

And those were my first-impressions of this season anime shows. Sorry if this one was a bit on the shorter side. Wanted to get this out before the season ends hah hah!

Last edited:

Poll 1 - Trying to diverse the content of this Journal

Hi there!

I decided to make a poll and ask any possible follower of this Journal what type of content they'd possibly like to see on this thread. As one might have seen I absolutely love to review and give my two cents on topics I absolutely love. I would love to diverse and do something more in-depth here as well, but would like to know if there's any interest for it. Doing seasonal rankings is easy and something I will continue doing, but if I branch-out to write something meatier I would like to know if there's anyone out there who'd even read them. Don't really want to devote my time on doing an in-depth reviews if I'm basically just writing them out here to nobody (which I think I might be doing already, but.

Also if you like to see some specific series, game, album etc. to be reviewed please do let me know! I've been meaning to watch Galaxy Express 999, Rose of Versailes, Ashita no Joe, continue my Gundam-journey (either with Zeta or Origin after I finish Build Fighters ) and Macross F just to name a few series, so if any of those for example would be something someone would be interested in hearing my opinion of I'd be totally down to write them here!

If you decide to suggest something chances are I might've already experienced them or it will take time for me to get around them, but I always love any and all recommendations!

That's it for now. I will be back with Fall-season rankings really soon. This anime season had way more hits than misses in it which is great!

Seasonal anime (Fall - 2022) - Rankings, ratings and comments before the next seasons "First impressions"

Getting around last seasons rankings took me a while. Been more inactive on the forum in general, but wanted to get this over with before all of the shows in winter season have started and doing first-impression on those.

Unlike previous season this one was filled with mainly good shows with few stinkers hidden here and there.

Without further ado here's Fall 2022 anime rankings:

16. KanColle: Itsuka Ano Umi de - 3/10

TIt's been ages since the first season of KanColle and the movie came out, and while this series is different timeline of sorts I wished it would at least be a decent entertainment like the OG-series. Production-wise this series is lackluster and the almost month-long hiatus due to production issues speaks for itself. However wonky production did make few scenes unintentionally funny.

Other than that only redeeming thing in this is all the ship-waifus, but despite of the popular belief I still want my series to feature other things besides hot animu grills (unless I've set my expectations so low that they are really the only thing I'm looking forward)

15. Boku no Hero Academia 6th Season (continues to the next season) - 5/10

I honestly don't know why I'm still following this anime adaptation. I've read the manga and everything past the war-arc and the previous villain-arc that was easily the highlight of this series isn't all that interesting or engaging to me. However they adapted the second or third best arc of the series quite well. Got to see my favorite character being badass which is a nice plus, but other than that it has been pretty much a white noise/recap for me. Not sure if I will start 7th season when it drops. Really depends on if the last arc of the series is worth ll the investment.

Also mandatory Deku/Izuku is the worst shounen protag-comment here. Series enjoyment value rises immediately when he's off the screen.

14. Arknights: Reimei Zensou - 5/10

As far as the gacha-game adaptations go this one's decent, however I never was all that interested in the story of Arknights despite it being the highlight of the game for me. I'm sure that fans of the games will get a lot out of this, but for me it was just a mediocre watch.

13. Uzaki-chan wa Asobitai! Double - 5/10

Adapts the source material well enough. I just don't like how gray and lifeless it looks when compared to it's competitors. Also for some reason the anime adaptations has put a blatant advertisement episode in both of the seasons now. They aren't bad per-se, but just weird that the whole freaking episode is dedicated to show some region of Japan like in the first season, or in this season a spa/hot-spring resort.

Manga is a decent distraction, and so is this anime.

12. Utawarerumono: Futari no Hakuoro - 5/10

VLackluster ending to this franchise. All the things that made the first Utawarerumono enjoyable and the things that the series was building ever since 2nd season amounted to a mid-experience with some good scenes here and there. Ending that was supposed to be sad didn't make me feel anything since I felt like the series was all over the place and so were their relationships. Games might give you a better experience, but as someone who's only seen the anime I can't vouch on that,

11. Akuyaku Reijou nano de Last Boss wo Kattemimashita - 6/10

Villainess-isekai of this season. Felt like four seasons worth of content was crammed into one + they gave this one a definite ending, so can't see it receiving any kind of continuation. I enjoyed for what it was though. Ending song was banging hard and it had plenty of cute moments.

10. Delicious Party♡Precure (ends in a week or two) - 6/10

Sad to say this, but Delicious Party PreCure is easily the weakest PreCure-series I've watched so far.

It's an ok series, but unlike the other PreCure shows so far it just is missing that something. So far it's just been Monster of the Week without anything going for it. Food-theme of this season is of course near in every episode, but the theme also feels like it's going in a circle and it isn't used to create an interesting plothooks like in Heartcatch, Go Princess or Hugtto.

Here's to hope that the Hirogaru Sky! Precure will be better.

9. Blue Lock (continues to the next season) - 7/10

Fun sports series. Instead of focusing on the teamwork and friendship-aspect it takes the opposite route which is a fun change of pace. Like in these kinds of shows the characters and their quirks are the main starts and this series has a huge gallore of pretty/handsome boys with loads of quirks to give viewers them. Interested to see where the series goes from here.

8. Chainsaw Man - 7/10

TProbably one of the biggest hot-takes on this listing since this seemed to be everyone's favorite series of this season, or the whole year.

Did I like it? Yes!

Do I think it's the best series of the year or the season? Hell no!

Putting aside my bias for Fujimoto's previous series Fire Punch I think that Chainsaw Man is a fun, over-the-top fun that has that genre-deconstruction/parody thingie going on which I always like, but for me the cast is just ok and even when reading the manga the series just worked for me as a one evenings worth of distraction and nothing more. And where the shounen genre-deconstruction part is something I vibe with I personally think that another series in this very same season did it much better and much more interesting way.

MAPPA-quality animation and different EDs from some of my favorite artists/bands like Aimer, Maximum The Hormone and TK were a nice touch and definitely added to my enjoyment value.

Random side note: Part 2 of the Chainsaw Man that started as a manga some time ago on the other hand is something I enjoy immensely, and so far trumps the part 1 easily.

7. Yama no Susume: Next Summit - 7-5/10

Comfy SoL. Four first recap episodes were kind of pointless, but when the new content started and the plot continued it was a blast to watch. New artstyle took some time to get used-to, but don't really have much to say about this other than it was a fun series.

6. Fumetsu no Anata e 2nd Season (continues to the next season) - 8/10

Fumetsu no Anata e had one of the strongest starts to any modern anime if you ask me, and the first one or two arcs were absolutely amazing, however the series started to loose it's steam by the end of the first season and I was a bit afraid of how the 2nd season would turn out.

So far it's been pretty good. New arc(s) have been better than the last arc of the S1 and the new ones and added new explored themes are good-stuff. Again waiting to see how the rest of the season plays out.

5. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 6: Stone Ocean Part 3 - 9/10

Again: I freaking hate when Netflix shits out the whole freaking series instead of giving us a one episode a week.

I honestly don't want to repeat myself here so just check ot the part 2-review above. The ending however was perfect with all the added anime-fanservice content (last OP variation was so freaking amazing) and Roundabout by Yes serving as the final ending was just chef's kiss.

4. Spy x Family Part 2 - 9/10

Like the part 1 perfect adaptation of the manga with some added and spiced-up content. Bump of Chicken is always a top-tier pick for a band to do your OP or ED and... Honestly other than that I don't have much more to add for what I already said about part 1. Good stuff.

3. Urusei Yatsura (2022) (continues to the next season) - 9/10

Note: Never watched the original Urusei Yatsura nor have I read the manga, though I will do so soon.

Extremely fun series with a humor that manages to make me laugh out loud. Surprised that there was two series in this season that actually managed to be so fun to me. Characters with their personalities definitely make this humor land. Animation is great and OP and ED songs slap hard. Positive surprise all around to me which made me bump the original anime and manga higher on my plan to watch/read list.

2. Mob Psycho 100 III - 9.5/10

IRemember when I said that there's another series in this season that did the genre-deconstruction/parody thingie better than CSM?

That series is this.

Mob Psycho 100 has always been a charming series that takes the usual battle-shounen formula, combines it with a slice of life and psychic/supernatural world and uses this mixture to tell a story of a boy in the middle of the puberty and using the battle shounen/superpower aspects to showcase all the rampant, wild, strong and confusing emotions that person might be going through at this age.

Animation, music, characters and the plot have always been top-tier in this show, and the same trend carries over to the final season as well. Rarely a shounen series gets me to tears, but during this final season I found myself crying multiple times and the ending for this series honestly couldn't have been more perfect.

Overall I'm just extremely pleased with all three seasons and the OVA/special of this show. ONE did amazing job with this series.

1. Bocchi the Rock! - 10/10

Music/band-centered slice of life where the main-character is an introverted girl who is an amazing guitarist, but who can't join in a band due to her social anxiety. By a freak accident he gets roped into a band and this is where the hilarity ensues.

Simple premise, but executed to a perfection. Characters aren't the most groundbreaking ones, but they are damn fun to follow. Hitori Gotou/Bocchi herself is always a blast on the screen and freaking relatable. Animators went up and above with their visual gags and the humor overall is a hit. I found myself laughing out loud to this series multiple times which is rare even with anime shows that are straight-up comedy shows. Music and OST slapped hard as well.

I expected to get a K-On!-lite with this one, but against all the expectations it turned out to be funniest shit I've seen in a long time and stand in it's own two feet. Music-related SoL-series polished to a perfection... Though K-On! is standing firmly by it's side.

And that's my Fall-season rankings. I will do the first-impressions of current season after the first episode of the new PreCure drops.

Last edited:

MyAnimeList-account link

Decided to drop this here as well.

Anyway due to showcasing one of my partners what anime I've seen and what manga I've read I ended up doing an alt MyAnimeList-account. Feel free to check it out since I doubt I will throw my two cents on every series I've seen/read and will watch/read:

Seasonal anime (winter- 2023) - First impressions and updates for continuing shows

LIt's time for the seasonal update that probably no-one is waiting for, but that I still do because I want! It's been a year since I started documenting my seasonal anime shenanigans here which is honestly surprising, since I never really thought I would stick to this that long, but here we are.

If you have read these at some point or just quickly scrolled through these I thank you! I love to share my passion to the anime/manga here and if I have made following it even a bit interesting then that's extremely cool in my books.

Without further ado here's the winter 2023 first impressions!

Bungou Stray Dogs 4th Season
126608l.jpg

Bungoy Stray Dogs has always been a fairly solid and enjoyable shounen. World is interesting, characters and their powers are cool and the mysterious nature of the series combined with the copious literature references is something I definitely can get down with.

Fourth season follows the same old interesting story, but started of with the background story of Ranpo and Fukuzawa which was really nice to see. Loved the visual design choice of keeping the anime black and white till Ranpo had his revelation about his ability. Plus a new OP visuals for the flashback and recent-day parts was just chef's kiss.

So yeah. Really liking this series and can't wait to see where the fourth season goes. It's already been really interesting.

D4DJ All Mix

129754l.jpg

From the makers of BanG Dream, which is one of my favorite "cute girls make cute music" franchise we have D4DJ. Also a solid franchise which focuses on the electronic music and DJ-aspect. First season had a weird problem of shots, gags and almost everything just overstaying their welcome and scenes dragged to hell to pad out the runtime or something, but gladly it seems to be fixed in this season. Really nice SoL with banger music and loads of cute girls.

Rondo, Merm4id and LyricalLily best groups!

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka IV: Fuka Shou - Yakusai-hen

131884l.jpg

SPart 2 of the fourth Danmachi season. Probably the most interesting one to this date since it seems like the all-mighty bundle of blandness called Bell has to actually go through some shit, but other than that it's the same as the previous seasons. Not that interesting fantasy-series with a few cute gals and handsome boys in it. Still not really sure what this series tries to accomplish even four/five seasons in if I'm perfectly honest.

Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san 2nd Attack

129579l.jpg

Probably only "teasing-series" that doesn't annoy or bore me. It's really nothing special, but I like Nagatoro and her gang + Paisen well enough to keep following the anime and manga. Pretty basic SoL with the teasing and light romance aspects thrown in.

Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. 2

128859l.jpg

Fun fact: I usually hate overpowered characters who are just overpowered for the sake of being overpowered (Ie Ainz from Overlord or Kirito from SAO). I guess they earned their powers, but when I don't see the work they put into getting it or the powers don't have any interesting risk/reward-system going for them (Like Light from Death Note or Lelouch from Code Geass have) it is easiest way to make series boring to me.

BOFURI however takes a more comedy-approach to this which works. It's fun to see a light-hearted MMO-adventures of the Maple and co. and I honestly can't pinpoint why. MAybe it's because of the comedy aspect, maybe because she got them by accident and just rolls with them as she tries to max her defense stats, but I guess that SoL-ish MMO-adventure with a fun cast and decent comedy is the way to go about it for me.

I personally really like this series, and can recommend it if SoL + MMO-stuff with a decent amount of action sounds interesting.

Kubo-san wa Mob wo Yurusanai

132330l.jpg

Another teasing-manga adaptation. Like all of it's competitors it's not that fun to watch and comedy is most of the time miss, but if you just want some cute romance that doesn't go anywhere and some cute moments between the main couple then this show is for you. For me personally it's just extremely predictable and boring watch that I'm watching for the sake of a panel that I am making to the next anime convention with friend of mine.

Also to keep up with the convo with my more casual anime fan friends who like this sort of stuff.

Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Kayou II

132755l.jpg

I honestly forgot this whole show and the fact I had watched the first season of it at some point.

Extremely mid isekai/fantasy series with harem elements and OP MC. Might be because it's been at least three years since I saw the S1, but I also have no fucking idea what's going on and who are the characters they keep mentioning and introducing lol.

NieR:Automata Ver1.1a

128318l.jpg

Almost forgot this since it went on indefinite hiatus after the episode 3 was aired, but so far this has been pretty alright adaptation of the game as far as I remember. It's been many years since I finished Nier Automata so it has at least served as a decent recap of the main events in the story. Aimer OP is also always a plus.

Nijiyon Animation

128075l.jpg

More Love Live is always good, even if it's 3 minutes shorts of Nijigasaki-gang just being cute! Nuff said.

Oniichan wa Oshimai!

131632l.jpg

First of all Kaede my belowed :heart: . More gyaru-characters are always good!

Gender-bend-series with SoL and fanservice focus. Definitely a show not for everyone, but I personally find it really cute and wholesome at places, and the characters fun to follow. I started reading this as a manga as well and they definitely amped up the fanservice aspect in the anime for better or for worse.

Probably one of my favorites this season if I'd have to pick.

Tensei Oujo to Tensai Reijou no Mahou Kakumei

129004l.jpg

Only reason I picked this one was the "Girls Love" tag.

One of the more enjoyable isekai-series I've seen recently. I'm honestly only in this for the relationship between Anisphia and Euphyllia, but the plot has been pretty nice so far too which is of course always plus. Interesting to see what I think of this at the end of the season.

Tokyo Revengers: Seiya Kessen-hen

132313l.jpg

Fun fact number 2: I freaking love delinquent-characters and anime/manga

Tokyo Revengers definitely scratches this itch pretty well for me. Where it's not perfect it has the tendency of throwing some great cliffhangers and some really cool characters in the cast (with the trade-off of having one of the most annoying main characters in existence). Definitely an enjoyable watch like the first season was.

Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko!

131515l.jpg

Tomo-chan definitely is a girl, and this series is definitely an adaptation of a Twitter-manga that lasted 500+ chapters and one that will probably drag eternity before the romance starts to move anywhere.

It's an alright watch. If you like to follow a cute and spunky tomboy and how she tries to get her feelings through to one of her best friends, but I can already see this series not going through with the romance plot at least in this season.

Tsundere Akuyaku Reijou Liselotte to Jikkyou no Endou-kun to Kaisetsu no Kobayashi-san

131327l.jpg

Villainess otome-game anime of this season, but with the gimmick of the two playing the otome VN getting to affect the story much more than in the original game while narrating it like it's some kind of sports. Also the two narrators have their own romance.

It's an entertaining series that has a fun gimmick. Following two (or three) romances is fun and I do have a softspot for tsundere-characters.

Vinland Saga Season 2

124312l.jpg

Peakland Saga, Kino Saga, etc.

Finally we are getting second season to this anime. Extremely engaging seinen-series about vikings with some similarities to Berserk. Has one of the most interesting stories going on in animanga at the moment and some of the most well-crafted characters in the medium. Can't recommend this enough. Almost caught-up with the manga and can say that the story is getting only better and better from now on.

And those were my first-impressions of this season anime shows. I couldn't wait till the new PreCure is out, but will add it here when the first episode has aired.

Last edited:

Seasonal anime (Winter - 2023) - Rankings, ratings and comments before the next seasons "First impressions"

Long story short. Some gems in the sea of alright and mid.

From spring season onwards I try to get rid of my completionist habits. This means that I won't be watching Kimetsu No Yaiba or new Dr. Stone seasons, since I don't particularly like either of them. I can just watch all the sakuga-scenes from KnY at some point while being sad about the fact that Ufotable does KnY and Genshin-content instead of Fate/TYPE-MOON one + I've already read the manga so I know the series won't really get better in my opinion, and the humor of Dr. Stone is honestly so atrocious it makes me physically hurt, even more than the wasted potential the series had.

Without further ado here's Fall 2023 anime rankings:

22. KanColle: Itsuka Ano Umi de - 2/10

Since the final episode finally dropped out I will change my rating to this a bit.

For a casual fan of the franchise (seen previous anime + movie and played the game) there's nothing here. Eight episodes worth of incoherent storytelling where stuff just happens till the next SoL-bit comes. There was some major fight in which the fleet girls prepared for one episode, but since the episodes were sprinkled here and there I forgot everything from the last episode by the time next one was out.

For a hardcore fan this might be worth a watch. It's a random AU so it probably doesn't have any bearing to the lore of the game, but if you want to see some of your favorite girls (poorly) animated then here you go.

21. Maou Gakuin no Futekigousha: Shijou Saikyou no Maou no Shiso, Tensei shite Shison-tachi no Gakkou e Kayou II - 3/10

I still have some decent memories of S1, but so far the second season has been a major waste of time to sit through. Perfectly sums up every trope I hate in the whole isekai-trend into six episodes. Next six are coming out in August so we'll see if I stick around with this show when it finally continues.

19. Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka IV: Fuka Shou - Yakusai-hen - 5/10

Best Danmachi season by far ruined by the fact that this anime just has to force every girl fall in love with the most bland MC in the history of anime

It's darker than previous once, there was some decent sense of danger built-up, Lion's background story was pretty alright, but aside these few upgrades it's still Danmachi with the same old problems the series had when it first started.

If Lion ever gets her own spin-off I might actually watch it, but doubt I will watch the next season when it inevitably will be announced.

18. Kubo-san wa Mob wo Yurusanai - 5/10

This series also had to go to a hiatus after 6 episodes were aired, but since I think I have a solid grasp of how this will play out I'll just get it out of the way.

Teasing-anime. Nuff said. Waifu teases self-insert with a quirk till the cows come home while she can't be upfront about her feelings to the almighty self-insert You'll get to see plenty roundabout ways to say "I kinda like you" and "I like you.... Just kidding! Teehee!" while some cutesy-scenes are sprinkled here and there.

Aside from isekai I think this trend is second worst one in modern anime, but it does it's job as you expect and gives you a little doze of comfy. It's watchable.

17. Boku no Hero Academia 6th Season - 5/10

Meh. Won't watch next season. Will finish the manga though.

War-arc was alright and the last good arc in the series in general. Bones stepped up their game after butchering the villain-arc completely, but sadly Bones can't salvage the plot of the series going downhill fast.

I don't honestly have much to say aside from things I already brought up in the first-impressions without going to manga-spoilers. Deku is still most infuriating shounen protag.

16. Tsundere Akuyaku Reijou Liselotte to Jikkyou no Endou-kun to Kaisetsu no Kobayashi-san - 6/10

These villainess-isekai anime-adaptations do one thing perfectly. They always wrap up the story without prolonging it to the infinity. You get the full story in 12 episodes. That's it.

This was alright. I have a soft-spot for tsundere-trope and the show had a fun gimmick which it executed in an alright manner. Animation and art was occasionally horrible, but you can clearly see that they didn't really plan to bank on this to be the most hyped release of the season.

For a villainess-isekai enjoyers like me this is an alright distraction. Still the best what genre has to offer is in manga/manhwa/manhua/webtoon/light-novel world (aside from Bakarina), but this is a solid show to watch.

15. Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san 2nd Attack - 6/10

Teasing-anime. Nuff said.

Except that Nagatoro is one of the better ones out of the bunch. Relationship progresses in ok-pace both in anime and manga and it has some funny moments. I have written a whole two-page analysis of why Nagatoro succeeds more in what it tries than many of it's competitors for the panel I'm going to hold at a local convention, but since I doubt anyone's that interested about it I will not translate it here for now lol.

Despite being one of the better ones in it's own game it's still just "alright".

14. D4DJ All Mix - 6/10

Like other Bushiroad-adaptations it's fun if you enjoy the franchise it's based on. D4DJ is pretty fun game and all and so was the 2nd anime season. Gone ar the awkward prolonged scenes that plagued the first one. Also every group gets at least one episode's worth of content which is good.

13. Tokyo Revengers: Seiya Kessen-hen - 6/10

Downgrade from S1

TR was most entertaining at times when it went over-the-top. Admittedly I was hoping something else from a delinquent-series at the time, but after the first episode I knew it wasn't going to make things the way I would've hoped to so I adjusted them and had a fun time.

Second season takes the over-the-top a bit too far for my taste, and was at times either too laughable or boring to sit through. This series however does cliffhangers wonderfully so here I am waiting for the 3rd season. Might need to adjust my expectations again before jumping into that one though.

12. NieR:Automata Ver1.1a - 6.5/10

As far as the game-adaptations go this one isn't too bad. Admittedly I played Nier Automata like five years ago so my memory is a bit hazy, but as an decent recap of the game it has done it's job well.

Aimer doing the OP is always plus. Animation is good and I think that the way they made the game flow in anime form is decent. Not completely butchered like Danganronpa or Persona.

11. Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu. 2 - 7/10

Bofuri is comfy and silly fun with an OP main character that I actually like. It's a fun timewaster that I don't have much to say about except give it a go if you want some MMO-sillyness.

10. Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko! - 7/10

Only reason this is before Bofuri is because this one positively surprised me.

I thought that this gimmick-anime would try to milk the content for the worth of all 900 chapters it has, but no. It actually trimmed the fat around the meat and kept the main story and romance afloat really well. It didn't overstay it's welcome, hit every beat a show like this could while progressing the romance at a good pace and then ending before the gimmick became tedious. Also if some viewers wanted more now they have a good reason to pick-up the source material and get their cute tomboy-fix there.

9. Tensei Oujo to Tensai Reijou no Mahou Kakumei - 7/10

Another one I was positively surprised with. I thought this would be just a GL/yuri-bait, but it actually went through with it and made the experience much better. This one also wrapped the whole story nicely which I was surprised.

My main complaint is the isekai-aspect of the series. It was utterly pointless. The fact that the Anisphia was isekai'd is brought twice or thrice in the whole series, and it doesn't have any impact on anything. This could've just been a regular fantasy series and nothing would've changed.

Maybe light-novel or manga does something with this, and I'm honestly considering to read either one of them since I liked the main couple and the series was entertaining.

8. Blue Lock - 7/10

NAlright sports anime with the battle-royale element stuck in it which makes it stand out among all of the "friendship and camaraderie is the key to be the best!" sports-anime. Again a wild-card that I though I wouldn't like since only thing less interesting for me than football (or soccer) is ice-hokey, but like with Haikyuu and other sports series this one was entertaining watch.

Also Barou best boy and character.

7. Nijiyon Animation - 8/10

More Love Live is always good.

Some cute and funny shorts about Nijigasaki group. Cute and fun to watch.

6. Fumetsu no Anata e Season 2 - 8/10

Same quality as the second half of S1. Still interesting watch. Bon was great character with an interesting story-arc. Sadly production of this series always seems to suffer in the later episodes. Plot is solid and the third season which apparently is set in the modern-era seems extremely interesting as well.

5. Hirogaru Sky! Precure - 8/10

Prelimiary opinion, but I think this is vastly superior to the Delicious Party one. Plot is much more interesting and new Precure are also all interesting and fun to watch.

4. Oniichan wa Oshimai! - 8/10

Headscratcher to probably all who read this, but this show managed to give a comfy doze of silly fun to my Thursdays with Urusei Yatsura. Despite the fact that the first episode was surprisingly ecchi it toned it down quite a bit aside from few scenes and focused on being wholesome. Picked up the manga and it's also really wholesome and fun to read.

Also gyaru-bonus applied thanks to Kaede. We need more gyaru-characters!

3. Urusei Yatsura (2022) - 9/10

Rarely, if ever an anime manages to make me consistently laugh. Bocchi The Rock from last season managed to do this, and so did Urusei Yatsura-reboot that also started in the same season.

It's honestly just episodic and comedic fun. Nothing much more, but done in a great way. David Production upped their game and the series looks fantastic. Also the romance-aspects are something I expect to see being developed in the next season. Will definitely pick-up the manga or original anime at some point.

2. Bungou Stray Dogs 4th Season - 9/10

BSD just keeps getting better and better with each season.

I just picked this series because it came on my anime secret-santa challenge few years ago. I was interested in it, but not enough to watch it anytime soon, but I honestly never would've thought that it would become one of my favorite modern shounen series.

World and powers are interesting and the series knows how to build some suspense. Characters are all also really fun to follow which is extremely rare for a shounen-series. Glad to see season 5 is already on the way.

1. Vinland Saga Season 2 - 9.5/10

Vinland Saga is easily one of the most interesting manga- and anime-series at the moment. Story is extremely engaging and even if it's not all blood, gore and fighting (since the fact that it isn't that seems to be a problem to many according to comments and discussions I've seen) the character development is just so freaking good and interesting to follow.

And that's my Winter-season rankings. I will do the first-impressions of current season soon.

Seasonal anime (Spring- 2023) - First impressions and updates for continuing shows

So the spring anime-season is upon us. First of all I actually feel really happy jumping into this one, since I decided to leave out all the series I would most likely not enjoy (aka. Demon Slayer S3 and Dr. Stone S3), and instead just pick stuff I will most likely enjoy. I know. Shocking! But completionism has been my curse that I try to overcome slowly but surely.

Without further ado here's the spring 2023 first impressions!

"Oshi no Ko"

134736l.jpg

Possibly my AOTY, and should be among the contenders for the title for everyone to be honest.

Been following this as a manga for over a year now, and it's so fucking good. It starts with pretty tame isekai-stuff, but then the shit hits the fan and this series shows it's true colors. Without spoiling too much it turns into a murder-mystery revenge manga/anime that also takes a look at the dark-side of the modern entertainment-industry in many angle.

First episode was everything I hoped it to be. Only complaint for me is that it's only 11 episodes long, but this will definitely get the S2, since if it doesn't there's something wrong in this world and industry.

So yeah. Go watch it!

Edomae Elf

133777l.jpg

I honestly picked this just because otaku-humor tends to be at least tolerable in my books and I think the main characters looked cute.

Based on first episode I will get just what I expected from this series. Hikikomori elf-deity and shrine's Miko bantering with each other. Will probably turn out to be a fun little series.

The IDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls: U149

133377l.jpg

I'm probably one of those rare people (and dare to even say only one in this forum) who was waiting for this series.

Show centering around the youngest idols in Cinderella Girls (though not all of them). Most of the characters featured in this spin-off are among my favorite Cinderella Girls -characters and I have yet to touch this (or any) spin-off Im@s-manga so I'm really excited to see how this will turn out. First episode was lovely.

Jigokuraku

131925l.jpg

Seems to be a more interesting version of Demon Slayer based on the two first episodes

The mystery of the island alone makes it leaps more interesting than the series I'm comparing it to, and the battle-royale aspect in a historical setting sounds interesting. What I personally am not the biggest fan of is the shounen-elements presented in it so far. Of course this shouldn't be surprise since it's a shounen show, but I think that the superpower-aspect will be the aspect that turns this mediocre for me like it did with The God of Highschool.

However it's still too early to judge. So far it's been decently interesting and has potential.

Jijou wo Shiranai Tenkousei ga Guigui Kuru.

133642l.jpg

I wasn't going to pick this one up, but the cute premise won me over. It's a pretty wholesome series. Funny to see how Taiyou turns the aspects the classmates bully Akane from points he absolutely loves about her. Overall a feel-good romantic SoL so far.

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo!

135042l.jpg

Spin-off to one of those rare isekai-series that are actually good. Despite Megumin being my least favorite girl of the series (still good tho) I honestly couldn't see a spin-off based on anyone else in the main group. So far it's been pretty funny series.

Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch!

134608l.jpg

Oh damn! We actually got a sequel to another isekai series that isn't utter mediocrity or trash! I binged the first season so I could jump-in on this one and it was fairly comfy and funny series. Usually OP-characters are something I don't like unless they have some sort-of "risk vs. reward" thing going on with their power, but noticed that in comedy-settings like this it isn't a problem for me (though that also depends since One Punch Man isn't a series I fancy all that much despite being comedy/parody)

Cute girls being cute in another world, so far pretty comfy like the S1.

Mahou Shoujo Magical Destroyers

134079l.jpg

Reminds me of Pop Team Epic, Panty & Stocking and other over-the-top comedy-series like them. First episode was pretty alright and waiting to see which direction it goes.

Mahoutsukai no Yome Season 2

135155l.jpg

First season of Mahotsukai no Yome (and both OVA-series) were pretty fun to watch. I didn't like Chise all that much, but she's begun to grow on me.

Only problem I really have with this second season is the fact that I can't remember shit from the first one. I watched it when it aired and haven't revisited it ever since, so the first episode was basically me going "Oh yeah! That happened!". Might enjoy this more if the events of the first season were more fresh on my mind, but nevertheless it's been a good start.

Mashle

135107l.jpg

Positively surprised with the first episode. Animation was good and the comedy was more hit than miss. I usually lower my expectations for a show quite a bit if it's hyped-up shounen, but this one seems to belong among the ones that has deserved the hype around it. Of course little too early to say after first episode, so we'll see how this one turns out.

Rokudou no Onna-tachi

132827l.jpg

Honestly. I never thought that this series of all the romance-harem-series would get an adaptation.

I read about 30-ish chapters of the manga and put it on-hold. It wasn't bad, but I just didn't feel like reading it at the moment. First adaptation was spot-on adaptation of the manga, and based on it I can say this will turn out to be an alright romance series most likely.

Skip to Loafer

133785l.jpg

It's nice to see more shoujo in this season.

This is also among the series I was waiting in this season. I believe it'll be a fun little shoujo romance. First episode was at least really enjoyable. I also like the animation and art a lot.

Tonikaku Kawaii 2nd Season

133361l.jpg

Cuteness overdose.

Most vanilla series that ever existed both in good and bad. It's cute and wholesome, but extremely tedious at times. However it's a perfect anime to finish off the night since it's just pure diabetes-inducing cuteness and comfiness. So far the same as S1 and the OVA-episodes.

Watashi no Yuri wa Oshigoto desu!

132065l.jpg

Heck yeah! More yuri/shoujo-ai!

I own 8 volumes of this as a manga and have read five of them so far. Outside of few weird little changes this seems to be pretty faithful adaptation. It's more drama-focused so it's not all rainbow and sunshine, but I warmly recommend this if you want some girls love in your seasonal anime watchpool.

Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru

134178l.jpg

More shoujo-offerings of this season.

I really liked the two first episodes. Main couple has an interesting and fun chemistry to follow and I eagerly wait to see where this one goes.

And those were my first-impressions of this season anime shows. Seems like there won't be much misses this time since I got rid of the obvious ones right from the start.

Back
Top Bottom