Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Feedback on My Kobold

Goodbye

Seeya Freaks Later
I'm new to many races from DnD, however, I thought I'd expand my horizons a bit and join an original forum RP where I play as a kobold. Since I'm new to this, I'd like some feedback on my character. The following is a character sheet of my character:
Name: Rex
Sex: Male
Race: Kobold (Polar)
Appearance: Of average size and build for a Kobold, Rex has always stood out as looking much older than he actually is. With ancestors hailing from a colder region (and thus adapted for such environments), he's covered in a layer of hairlike feathers, save for his face, hands, and feet. His fashion sense is odd for a Kobold, being a mishmash of fashions and cultures he's come in contact with.
Bio: Descended from a line of kobolds native to the ice and snow, where hot springs flow and the daylight doesn't end in the winter, Rex's family has always made their bones by bartering and trading from other races (usually for junk and other unwanted materials) and selling or trading them to other Kobolds. His family always traveled, exposing him to different peoples and cultures. However, he's settled down among the tribe and continues his family's business, but will occasionally keep things for himself to tinker with.
I've done some reading on kobolds from a DnD wiki, and while this is out of the norm for kobolds, I'm wondering if it's acceptable. I've read a story featuring a kobold bard, so I figured, "Why not a kobold merchant/tinkerer?"

Seems like a neat character! I admit I don't have much in the way of feedback. Perhaps some information on his personality/outlook, how he views other races (If he's been in other cultures, certainly he's met with other races, right?). Kobolds are generally seen as well - a 'cannon fodder'' race to put it succinctly by most. Might be interesting to know how the outlook of other races have colored him as well.

jumping in on this since i love helping with character creations!

i think what's important, too, aside from the points Revelations made (i definitely think the race outlooks would be very interesting! it would tell a lot about him) is go into detail about his appearance! what color are his feathers? are they white because he's from a polar region, so it helps him blend in? or maybe he's like certain birds that have seasonal plumage, so during the winter his feathers are a different color than in the summer. maybe he has scars from the harsh environment?
going into detail about how his people live, too, would be informative! what structures do they live in and what are they made out of? do they migrate during the colder winters to southern areas, thus allowing him to be exposed to other cultures? they could have migratory trade routes!

you've got a great skeleton for a character going, but don't be afraid to flesh it out with even the smallest of details! good luck!

jumping in on this since i love helping with character creations!

i think what's important, too, aside from the points Revelations made (i definitely think the race outlooks would be very interesting! it would tell a lot about him) is go into detail about his appearance! what color are his feathers? are they white because he's from a polar region, so it helps him blend in? or maybe he's like certain birds that have seasonal plumage, so during the winter his feathers are a different color than in the summer. maybe he has scars from the harsh environment?
going into detail about how his people live, too, would be informative! what structures do they live in and what are they made out of? do they migrate during the colder winters to southern areas, thus allowing him to be exposed to other cultures? they could have migratory trade routes!

you've got a great skeleton for a character going, but don't be afraid to flesh it out with even the smallest of details! good luck!
I had in mind that he has white feathers, though I like the idea that his feathers could change color with the season. Unlike other kobolds, he's quite birdlike. More or less what would happen if you anthropomorphized a small, feathered theropod like the (real-world) Velociraptor, minus the sickle claw.

I like the idea that his people migrate. Kobolds are said to be cold-blooded in DnD (something the GM is sticking to for this setting), so traveling with the season makes sense.

Seems like a neat character! I admit I don't have much in the way of feedback. Perhaps some information on his personality/outlook, how he views other races (If he's been in other cultures, certainly he's met with other races, right?). Kobolds are generally seen as well - a 'cannon fodder'' race to put it succinctly by most. Might be interesting to know how the outlook of other races have colored him as well.
I didn't think about that. Now that I think about it, the main character of the ebook I was reading had the main character (a kobold bard) being abused and killed on a constant basis by players. I could take how kobolds are viewed into account and shape his views a bit. Maybe people of other races distrust and belittle him because of his race, and despite being an honest sort, he has a reputation for pedaling garbage.

Here's some insight from the Forgotten Realms Wiki on Kobolds:

Kobolds were resentful of their short stature and hated members of other races who poked fun at them for this. Most felt as though they ought to compensate for their small size in other ways, such as humor or aggression. They would naturally tend to hate larger creatures, and although they would show respect and obedience if required, they always looked for ways to display their resentment.

Typically, Kobolds tend to distrust and/or dislike larger humanoids (which is just about all of them), and the resentment and distrust tends to be mutual.

Not saying this has to be the case for Rex though - but that general standpoint will likely have shaped his views of the world.

Back
Top Bottom