Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

SEASON 1 - Cheshire Motel

whitechapel

ᵂᴵᵀᴴᴰᴿᴬᵂᴺ
Withdrawn
DYSBdou.png

Code:
[B][COLOR=rgb(143, 174, 112)]Character:
Time/Location:
Scene Status:
Tagging:[/COLOR][/B]
[HR=3][/HR]

Character: Frank Liddle
Time/Location: 7am/Downtown Dawn Chorus
Scene Status: Closed
Tagging: Grace (@Lydia)

Epiphanies.

That’s what they’re called, right? A sudden, unsolicited insight into the mysteries of the universe. Somewhere not long after spilling his drink on Charlie and seeing a half dead Morris Blevins come stumbling out of the woods, Frank had one of those. In all the hoopla and confusion that followed that gory scene, Frank found himself standing drunk and delirious amongst the crowd. He lost Randy somewhere in the shuffle, swept away by all the chaos and throngs of people. He was alone and all he could hear was Misty Blevins’ pitiful screams rising from the rest of it like an apocalyptical dirge. Every streetlight wore a halo. The stars shined brighter than they ever had before. The world was spinning and his mouth tasted like an ashtray, but amidst all that toil and strife, Frank Liddle saw the light.

He saw every single error of all of his ways. The shame that can only come out of years of living for nothing and no one but yourself came crashing down atop him. An ethereal calling to be better, to make amends, to be a force for good in a world full of evil echoed through the graffitied halls of his mind, echoing into the darkest recesses of his being. He stumbled through the streets a new man, reborn despite his drunken sway. He promised himself that the next morning would be the start of a new chapter in the life of Frank Liddle; no, not a chapter, it would be a whole new book!

The next day, he woke up on a park bench.

Frank sat up from where he had passed out and audibly groaned against the sun’s incessant rays. He wiped the sleep from his eyes as he put the pieces of the night before together again. How much of what happened was real and how much was just a delirious fever dream? He couldn’t even begin to guess. He had blacked out. It wasn’t the first time, and it definitely wouldn’t be the last. Epiphanies, as it turns out, only really matter if they’re remembered. Frank, unfortunately, could barely even remember where he was. At least the world had stopped spinning.

Standing up slowly with jaw clenched and teeth grinding, one hand clutched at the small of his back as it ached to the friction of a thousand knots grinding on bone. He audibly groaned again, but this time it was against his own body’s incessant pain. He surveyed his surroundings. It was still early enough that the streets were practically empty, save for a few overly enthusiastic birds trying to get the proverbial worm. He was somewhere on the northeast side of town, near the community center. Frank didn’t know how he got there, but that just seemed like par for the course at worst and grist for the mill at best. With a gnawing soreness in his calves and pangs of torment in his thighs, Frank let out a long, drawn-out sigh as he began the long march back towards Elvis Pulley Memorial Park, his trusty bicycle, and the eventual promise of a soft bed with a bottle of his favorite (see: most easily attainable) liquor on his nightstand.

The entire walk felt strange in a way that Frank couldn’t quite put his finger on. It felt like the whole of Dawn Chorus was sleeping on an acre of bone, like the whole town was in mourning. It briefly reminded Frank of his mother’s funeral, of Charlie crying on his shoulder, of his own tears burning his eyes, but he cast those thoughts back to the deepest recesses of his mind as quickly as they had sprung up. By the time he reached the park, Frank felt as depressed as he had ever been, but that likely had more to do with his blood alcohol content than anything else. Of course, the universe has a funny way of kicking you when you’re down. When it rains, so they say, it pours.

Frank went to the bicycle rack at the far end of Elvis Pulley Memorial Park. His legs hurt. His feet were sore. He could sleep for a thousand years. He dreaded the long bike ride back to his motel room, but panic soon replaced that dread when he realized his bike… just wasn’t there. Gone! Poofed! Stolen by a thief in the night! Muddy handprints covered the broken lock left to dangle from its rack. Frank groaned again. This time, it was against the world’s incessant cruelty.

He stood for a while with his hands on his hips. A thousand different thoughts went slipping and sliding in his head, crashing into each other as he tried to make sense of a senseless thing. He considered making the trek back to his motel room by foot, but he could already feel the blisters forming just from the idea. There was always hitchhiking, but we’ve all heard the stories on the news; Frank didn’t want his sweet ass to become a sweet statistic for some roughneck in a big rig on a one-way trip to The Bone Zone. They’d split him open like a coconut! Eventually, he fished his ancient cell phone out of his pocket and prayed the battery hadn’t died in the night.

It hadn’t. Have you ever had a Nokia 3310? Those things don’t die. They could survive a nuclear holocaust, I shit you not. Anyway!

Frank scrolled through his contacts, an onslaught of names he either didn’t recognize or couldn’t bring himself to dial. Charlie? Absolutely not. Randy? No. He was probably still nursing his own hangover. Dad? Well, that wouldn’t work. Mr. Doobie? Who the fuck was Mr. Doobie? And then Frank’s eyes settled on a name that made his heart swell.

Sugartits. It was a term of endearment, goddammit.

This was no ordinary woman. To begin with, she was an absolute bombshell. She had been the only woman to give Frank the time of day in… well, years, if you don’t count hand stuff. They had met at The Mothlight and wound up tangled in bedsheets. Two star-crossed lovers at the right place at the right time. Their eyes met from across the room and it was like magic; all sparks and fireworks and lightning. She was a fast machine and she kept her motor clean; the best damn woman Frank had ever seen. Even though that was all months prior and it felt a lot like a one-night stand, Frank knew better than that. What they had was special, but you should never have too much of a good thing. Playing hard to get? Psshaw. Patience is a virtue, buddy. Frank pressed the call button, and the phone rang and rang and rang and rang and… voicemail.

So, he called again. And again. And again. When she finally answered, voice steeped in annoyance, Frank started talking fast. In Frank’s experience, the faster that you talked, the easier it was to get someone to go along with what you say. Confuse them. Bury them beneath a barrage of words. Put on that ole razzle and finish it with a dollop of dazzle.

“Grace! Thank goodness! You ain’t gonna believe this, but a pack of thievin’ animals stole my bike and left me skinny dippin’ in shit creek. Crime of the goddamn century. Can’t fuckin’ explain it. There’s an ongoing investigation and, let me tell ya, vengeance is comin’ and it’s gonna be swifter than a cheetah with a heart full-a napalm. But listen, here’s the thing… I could use a ride and, uh… I ain’t got no one else to call, y’know?”

He cleared his throat. He stifled back fake tears. It was time for the coup de grâce, the final nail, the cherry on top.

“...if you could find it in your heart to help me outta this pickle, that’d be awful amazin’, Grace.”

Badum tss.

Last edited by a moderator:
Character: Grace
Time/Location: 7:00am | Grace’s Cottage
Tagging: Frank @whitechapel

Yeah, she'd heard that one before.

After 27 years of bearing this oft-referenced name, after surviving a religious private school education, after dating and working and simply existing in the world as a slightly-less-than-graceful woman named Grace, she assumed that she'd heard all of the jokes.

Amazing Grace, how decidedly unsweet the sound.

Staring at the ceiling of her bedroom, still buried in her bed-linens, phone pressed to her ear, Grace stretched the silence into oblivion, emphasizing her utter lack of amusement.

But let's back up a moment. Why did she answer the phone in the first place? She shouldn't have, and she wouldn't have, if she had known it was him; however, Grace had deleted Frank's number several months prior, as it was a perpetual reminder of some extremely poor decision-making. There was no reason she'd need to contact him. She couldn't tolerate his outlandish babble about aliens, or the rest of it: just him - all of him, including things they'd done in their single night together, or that she assumed they did, given her spotty recollections of the evening. Frank was a bad choice personified.

So when her phone rang an unknown number at a too-early hour, she naturally ignored it. It rang again. And again. Same number, same inappropriate hour. It rang again. By this point, her mind was racing - what if it was important? An emergency? Fine, fine.

"Hello?"

Let's back up even more. Grace hadn't slept. Perhaps an hour, perhaps two, split into short, fitful stretches punctuated by nightmares. After watching Morris Blevins claw his way out of the woods to die in an extraordinary public fashion, Grace's evening had ended far earlier than anticipated. Who had an appetite for celebration after something like that? Who could make it to midnight, or posses any desire to waltz, after seeing that bloody corpse, already mangled before it hit the ground? Grace's heart had twisted, her mouth falling open to gasp but not scream, her wide-eyed gaze shifting to others in the crowd, registering their distress. They saw it too.

It was a slap of mortality to the entire fucking town.

Grace spent the intended night of revelry instead watching shadows wander across her darkened bedroom ceiling, replaying the scene in her mind. She could not erase the vision of Blevins's tortured countenance and the gaping, bloody hole of his empty eye socket: it was a face to define her growing sense of dread and horror.

And what did it mean for Carla? Would this be her fate as well? Had it been already? She cried some, silently, too wary of her own sorrow to openly sob, even in the inky, private darkness of her own bedroom. It was a long night.

So when Frank called five times at 7:00am, Grace was not at her best, by far, but even without a name, she knew exactly who it was the moment he started speaking. And cajoling. And pleading, kind of.

That saved a wretch like me.

"You need a ride?" she repeated finally, her voice colored cold by skepticism. Grace's head throbbed from sleeplessness, and she couldn't fathom dealing with him in her present state. But she'd seen a man die ten hours earlier, and an uninvited sympathy toward her fragile fellow humans was crowding her too-sensitive heart.

I once was lost, but now I'm found.

The worst thing about Frank wasn't the drunkenness or the awful motel room or the crassness and cigarettes - it was his insane ramblings about aliens and the utter certainty of his attitude toward the outlandish, impossible experiences. Grace knew that certainty; she knew how destructive it was. He was a vortex of delusion and she dared not venture too close.

Was blind but now I see.

But knowing what she did, being who she was, didn't she have a responsibility to help him, if she could? He wasn't asking for anything but a ride, and he needed her, and she could be a light of kindness, and she could help Frank - because she couldn't help Carla, because she couldn't help herself, years ago.

Fuck.

"Okay, fine," she said flatly. "I'm at my house, a couple blocks north of Netherland. 77 Seldom Seen Drive - it's little blue cottage. Can you meet me here?"

Grace did not invite Frank inside. When he knocked, she opened the door, brushed past him, and marched toward her car - a six year-old compact SUV, decently clean and maintained - trusting that he'd follow. She barely looked at him, though it was probably for the best. He'd spent the night on a park bench, and she was joggers-and-sweatshirt, messy ponytail, sans makeup, eyes red from crying: neither of them looked particularly good. She climbed into the driver's seat and turned on the car, waiting for him to join her.

Step by Vampire Weekend was playing. She immediately turned it down.

"Still at the Cheshire?" she asked, already backing out of the driveway.

Last edited:
Time/Location: 7:00-7:30am/The Cheshire Motel

Once upon a time, Frank had it all.

A beautiful wife (there she is now, smiling in sepia tone [the smile hides the venom in the bitch's fangs]). A newborn son (cries a little, but laughs a lot [and Frank didn't get a full night's sleep for six whole months]). A lovely home with a white picket fence (dog running rampant in the front lawn [an incessant piss and shit machine; they eat dogs in certain countries, y'know] as sprinklers mist the infinitely green grass [too green; so green that all you can think about is Kermit the Frog and the Jolly Green fucking Giant all day, every day]. A pool in the backyard (with floaties and a diving board and all the accoutrements [you ever looked up how much it costs to maintain a pool?]. A good job with decent pay (and benefits and stock options and coworkers who care! [a soul-sucking nine to five; eight hours of misery with overtime tacked on for good measure]). All these things and more. The American Dream. Glittering prizes. One too many stories about alien abductions, Bigfoot, and government psyops and presto! It all disappeared in a flash.

Life has a funny way of zigging instead of zagging, and Frank knew that for a fact. Half a decade prior, if someone had told him he would be living out of a motel room, sleeping on park benches, and begging a one-night stand for a free ride, he wouldn't have believed it. The man he was wouldn't recognize the man he became. Some nights, he couldn't even recognize himself, but maybe it had always been there. Maybe there had always been a consummate fuck-up lurking there, hiding in the reeds of his mind, just waiting to smother out every ounce of decency. However, as much as the years had not been kind to Frank Liddle, he did still maintain some commonalities with his former self.

For example, they both fucking hated Vampire Weekend; not that Frank had ever heard them. There was a severe lack of wailing guitars, and that was enough to earn his ire.

"Yep, still at the Cheshire," he replied. "They couldn't get rid of me if they wanted to."

They did, in fact, want to. Frank was a problem lodger. He never paid his rent on time, he was up all hours of the night, he smoked cigarettes in a designated non-smoking room, the cops had been called on more than one occasion, and he had routinely torn the satellite dishes off the roof because, in his words, they were 'beaming his location' to those 'goddamn motherfucking sonuvabitch aliens'. Frank's saving grace was the fact that the owner of the motel was a friend of his dad's in a past life. Bowling buddies. That counts as closer than kin in some circles.

Ignoring the fanciful, piano-driven melody and trying his best to break through the silence like a wrecking ball, Frank threw questions in the air to see what stuck. "So, how you been, Gracie? Holdin' up all right? Goddamn tragedy about Mr. Blevins last night, huh? Boy looked like he'd been through a goddamn meat grinder, didn't he?"

There was a pause. A moment of reflection. Frank had a thought, and he wasn't about to keep it to himself, but he at least had the common decency to speak it as a whisper.

"I bet it was those sonuvabitch aliens that did that…"

Daybreak in Dawn Chorus always began with a slow, meandering pace. It was Sunday, and that only made it worse, but even during the week, it was like the whole town was wiping sleep from their eyes until noon. As Grace and Frank made their way through the narrow halls of suburbia, Frank watched through the passenger side window as the hoi polloi went about their morning rituals. The yawning masses made their way across their lawns to retrieve the newspapers. Some sat on their porches, smoking the day's first cigarette, staring out into all of creation. There were dog walkers with slumped shoulders and joggers who looked like the only thing keeping them alive was a fear of death. Frank saw it all and he felt a touch of envy. Look at all that normalcy. Just look at it. It sure looks comforting, don't it?

It was just two shakes of a lamb's tail down Chorus Boulevard, past the hospital with its crowded parking lot, a quick left on Mount Sanguine Parkway, and there they were. The Cheshire Motel in all of its crummy, dilapidated glory. A casual passerby may have mistaken the building for abandoned if not for the giant banner hanging over the lobby entryway reading "WE'RE OPEN" in big, bold letters. The parking lot was full of potholes. The garish sign, meant to look like something off the Vegas strip, was full of busted lightbulbs. There was broken glass along the walkways, the stench of urine wafted with the breeze, and the burnt husk of an incinerated car sat unmoved on the far end of the lot as if it had always been there.

As they parked and Grace looked over at him expectantly, waiting for him to get out and go inside and leave her alone, Frank unbuckled his seatbelt and looked up at Grace. God, those eyes. Those lips. She felt it too, didn't she? The heat radiating between them. That animal magnetism drawing them together. If he listened close enough, Frank could hear what he supposed was The Universe whispering in his ear: "Gwaan an kiss di gyal".

He didn't know what was more surprising; that The Universe was speaking to him or that it had a Jamaican accent.

"So, uh… Look," he began to lie. "You know how I hate to be a burden, but I've got one more small little itsy-bitsy favor to ask you, Grace. I've been tryin' to get back on my feet, y'know? Make things right. I filled out a couple-a resumes Friday night and… well… I ain't too good at that sort of thing. You're smarter'n hell, though. So, uh… I was thinkin'..."

He paused. He put on those puppy dog eyes. He twiddled his thumbs nervously. He laid it on as thick as butter.

"... maybe you could come in and take a look right quick? Y'know. Grade my work. That's what you do, ain't it?"

The drive may have began with Vampire Weekend, but it was going to end with Van fuckin' Halen.

Character: Grace Letts
Time/Location: 7:30am | Cheshire
Tagging: @whitechapel (Frank)

I know the feeling.

Life zigging instead of zagging?

All too often.

Watching your carefully-constructed fortress of respectability crumble around you?

Yeah, been there.

Despairing as the people you love drift away, separated by a gulf of misunderstanding?

Same dude, same.

Being written off as crazy, untrustworthy, unemployable?

Uh, yeah. Of course.

Grace kept her eyes trained ahead on the road, her mouth set into a tight, nervous line, slender hands clutching the steering wheel just a bit more tightly than necessary. They were more similar than either had the capacity to admit - if either was courageous enough to be truthful with the other, if either regarded the other as more than a passing distraction, perhaps they'd find understanding in each other. Instead, they kept their pasts shrouded in secret, their defenses steadfast. He said too much, and she too little.

"Yep, still at the Cheshire… they couldn't get rid of me if they wanted to," he said.

I know the feeling, she thought.

Grace fumbled in the console between the two seats, keeping her eyes squinting on the road as she groped through receipts, errant pens, and old headphones for her sunglasses. They were those big kind, covering half her face, but once they were on her expression seemed to relax, partially because the bright sun addled her sleep-deprived senses, but also because they insulated her, comfortably concealing her most expressive feature. She stole a glance over at her unkept passenger, still reeking of beer and the outdoors, but his attention seemed to be fixed out the window. Just as well.

"Yeah, I saw it," she responded flatly as he mentioned Blevins, that horrifically disfigured face again rising in her memories. Her jaw clenched against a sharp retort as he wandered into delusional alien murmurs, but she said nothing, as if she hadn't heard him at all.

That’s when she realized it was a beautiful morning - too beautiful, really. Erroneously, cruelly beautiful, given the events of the prior evening. While Frank silently coveted the benign routines of Dawn Chorus, so did Grace - that was usually her life here in this secluded little town. Peace and security and early-morning jogs or cafe trips; confidence in the mundane and comfort in the rules. Quirky but not chaotic. It all seemed so distant in her present state: tired, strung-out on anxiety, crowded in a car with an old hook-up who was probably still half-drunk. She had been slowly inching away from normalcy for weeks now, and no matter how many times she went through the motions of the pleasant ordinary, she simply couldn't feel it.

Grace was on the outside looking in. She was with Frank, literally and probably metaphorically. It was a dark thought.

As they pulled into the motel's potholed parking lot, it was grimly satisfying to have surroundings correspond to both her mood and her passenger. Did Frank match the motel or did the motel match Frank? At this point it was impossible to tell. She took her sunglasses off as they came to a stop, not bothering to put the car in park, and peered at him expectantly - not in that inviting fashion, but the precise opposite. Her eyes were red, the green hues of her irises more startling for her recent tears.

She expected a thank you and goodbye. Instead, she got request. Instead, she found herself reluctantly shifting into park and turning the engine off.

"Okay," she muttered, her brows drawn together in concern. "But I don't have long. I have to, uh," she searched for any viable excuse, "go to the library."

Lame.

Grace steeled herself as she climbed out of the car, taking only her keys and cell phone as she followed Frank inside his room. She'd only been there once before, and while she assumed that she wouldn't remember much about the sad little dwelling, it was familiar enough once she was inside. Same old bedspread, same collection of junk, same empty bottles. She was on edge, her arms wrapped protectively around her thin frame, engulfed in the oversized sweatshirt. Her attention darted around the room, searching for anything resembling a resume, ready to realize that she'd been lured inside on false pretenses. She knew he was probably full of shit.

But if she didn't at least try to help, she also knew it would be another item on her endless list of guilts.

"Well," she sighed, plopping down on a rickety chair as far from the bed as the room would allow, "Let’s see it. Where are you applying? What's your field?"

From somewhere else in the motel, a pair of voices lifted together in a swiftly escalating argument, followed by a crash, then silence. Grace shifted awkwardly, not sure whether the abrupt silence was good or bad. She caught Frank's gaze, her exaggerated concern clear.

What a weird morning.

Time/Location: 7:40AM/The Cheshire Motel

Have you ever been in the kind of place where you can see the exact measurements of rock bottom? The kind of wretched, lived-in environment that only the absolute dregs of society would occupy. You know what I'm talking about, right? A place so removed from what most would consider 'comfortable' and 'hospitable' and 'safe' that it only exists in the periphery, a cautionary tale, something you actively avoid looking at for fear of seeing your own reflection.

Ladies and gentleman, Frank's room at the Cheshire Motel.

It was exactly what you would imagine it to be. Paint peeling off cheap drywall, the ceiling gone yellow with nicotine despite the 'No Smoking' sign prominently displayed on the interior doorway. On the bedside table, a digital clock flashing intermittently, stuck forevermore at 6:21 PM. A whole microcosm of liquor and beer bottles slatternly arranged on every viable surface. Dirty clothes, an overflowing ashtray, a small tray with a nearly microscopic amount of ground marijuana on one end and a big, black, tarry ball of resin on the other. The smell of sweat and smoke. Unwashed comforter. An old CRT TV hissing static. Broken glass from broken bottles defining a broken life. Misery writ large, but passed off as freedom.

"My field…?" he asked, almost taken aback by the question. "Well, y'see… It's kinda hard to explain. You care if I drain the lizard real quick 'fore we get in the weeds? Thanks, babe."

Babe. The word oozed off his tongue like toxic sludge. He coupled it with a wink and a shit-eating grin, two finger guns on either hand as he turned on a heel, walking haphazardly across his haphazard home towards the bathroom. He turned a corner and disappeared inside, closing the door and flipping on the light. The sound of a whirring fan with bad bearings echoed from inside. Frank stood at the bathroom sink, giving himself a good, hard look in the mirror. He looked every bit as awful as he felt.

First and foremost, cologne. He dabbed more than he probably should have on either side of his neck; a dollar store knockoff called 'SEXIBOI NOIR'. It came in a 20 oz. bottle and cost a buck fifty in the clearance bin. That's what we call a steal. He unbuttoned the first, second, and third button of his shirt, exposing a smattering of hair on an otherwise bare chest; a little peek to tease those feminine wiles. He straightened his mustache with a fine-tooth comb and slicked back his unkempt hair with warm water. Finally, and most importantly, he took a swig from a bottle of Listerine and swished it around in his mouth until it burned his taste buds off. And then he took another swig. And another. And another. Might as well polish off the bottle, right? Just a little buzz to take the edge off. Matters of the heart always send those pesky nerves to reeling.

Deep breath. He stared at himself in the mirror. He looked like a mix between a homeless man, a wet rat, and a half eaten hot dog. In other words, as good as it gets.

When the door opened, Frank strolled out with that John Wayne strut. He paused in the doorway and stood like a statue, posed and poised for Grace's pleasure. He gazed at her with a gazely gaze and, as if on cue or by some cruel serendipity, a neighboring room began playing "Need You Tonight" by INXS so loud that it shook the walls. Frank's tongue ran over his upper lip as he began his slow, clumsy approach. "Lemme tell you somethin', Grace," he said in a voice that was supposed to sound seductive, but sounded more like the Cookie Monster with a sinus infection. "I ain't got no field. I ain't got no resume. I only got one line of work and we both know what it is: fuckin' like a goddamn jackrabbit."

The closer he got, the more the scent of SEXIBOI NOIR permeated the air. It was thick. It was pungent. One can't help but recall the trash compactor scene from Star Wars. There Grace was, stuck between one wall made of an arguing couple and another made of Michael Hutchence's soulful, crooning voice. As if that wasn't enough sensory overload, there was Frank, the proverbial monster in the trash heap, getting closer and closer until…

He stood before her expectantly, eyelids thinned and lips puckered, hands prepared to graze, then grope then grab. The bed sat waiting for its purpose to be utilized. Unmistakably, and unfortunately, Frank had a hard-on bulging up in his pants that could have been seen from space. He cleared his throat and grinned. Like a true romantic, his next words came out as the sweetest poetry imaginable; a line so drenched in amorous intent that it could pluck even the most stalwart heartstrings.

"Get those tits out, Grace. Let's plow."

Last edited:
Character: Grace Letts
Time/Location: 7:40am | Hell
Tagging:
@whitechapel (Frank)

Grace, overwhelmed by the pervasive stench of SEXIBOI NOIR, fainted dead-away on the dirty floor.

Grace, exercising impeccable judgment, slipped out the door before Frank returned from the bathroom.

Grace, acknowledging the inevitability of death and the absurd futility of existence, shrugged and got her tits out.

Grace, her features a careful facade of impassiveness, said flatly: "Are you fucking crazy?" It was, of course, a rhetorical question.

There we go.

Or rather, there she goes, her resolve and emotional defenses built to towering heights during Frank's absence. Through her tumultuous adult years, Grace had nearly perfectly the art of turning herself to stone. In the face of powerful emotion, either from within or without, she had the capacity to shut it down, to become hard, cold, and still; experience taught her it was far better than the alternative. During Frank's brief interlude in the bathroom (she didn't want to think about it), she had allowed her gaze to openly wander these sordid surroundings, every pitiful element confirming her suspicions.

Grace, honey, babe, bless your heart, you are not here to read a resume.

And Frank wasted no time proving it.

Like a tangled heap of car-crash wreckage, like a raging natural disaster, like a pimple-popping video clip on the internet, it was impossible to look away as he emerged from the bathroom. She regarded him with the entirety of stony resolve in her arsenal, commanding, at least for a moment, far more gravitas than her slight frame usually afforded. Cold eyes flickered across his advancing form, aggressively unimpressed by the combed mustache or slicked hair, the undone buttons and the raging erection. As the wall of dollar-store cologne and mouthwash slammed full-force into her dispassionate armor, her nose twitched slightly, reflexively, forming a slight fissure in her fortitude.

Then, the aforementioned rhetorical question: "Are you fucking crazy?"

Without waiting for any type of response - this asshole could talk fast, she knew that well enough, so better to not let him begin - his guest continued, voice breaking in outrage: "What the fuck is wrong with you? I was trying to help you."

She shoved him backward, her stoic shield crumbling in the fucked-up face of residual horror and exhaustion and this trash monster with his gazey-gaze and his grabby hands. It was good while it lasted, which wasn't long at all under the circumstances. Frank stumbled back a half step following the blow, regaining his footing and advancing, seduction undeterred. Why was that music so loud? The whole wall behind her vibrated with electronic bass, and though she tried to grasp a respectable thread of thought, they declined to participate.

“…Your moves are so raw,
I’ve got to let you know…”

Frank advanced another step, the foul mouth under the foul mustache opening to further coax, and Grace felt her throat tighten in panic. Fingers clenched at her side. Lean muscles tensed and snapped into motion, her fist flying up to cross and catch him solidly on the left cheek with a thick, fleshy thud. Skill or luck, the punch landed perfectly.

"FUCK YOU, FRANK, YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE," Grace shrieked, her voice rising to join the chaotic cacophony of the Cheshire Motel.

“…you’re one of my kind…”

Last edited:
Time/Location: 7:45AM/Somewhere between 'rock bottom' and 'another day in paradise'.

Frank Liddle had taken his fair share of punches in his lifetime.

Schoolyard fights. Barroom brawls. He even took a side gig as an underground bare knuckle boxer for a couple months to make ends meet, but that's a story for another time. Fact of the matter was, when Grace reared back all one-hundred-and-twenty pounds of raw, unbridled anger and unleashed it as one winding, decisive haymaker across his left cheek, well… it felt like someone had slapped him with a goddamn wrecking ball.

Let's watch in slow motion. It happened like this: When Grace Letts' left hand collided with Frank Liddle's left cheek, his eyes slammed shut and his lower jaw went sideways. Shuddering lips let loose a string of Listerine-tinged saliva that shot out of his mouth and towards the western wall of his little motel room. Flesh scraped against molars as his feet went stumbling, arms flailing wildly as hands grasped for anything that might help to regain his balance. They found no purchase.

Instead, Frank stumbled and bumbled and tumbled to the dirty carpet below, body crashing into a pile of empty beer cans that practically exploded in a thousand different directions as they met with his weight. His eyes filled up with stars and the room started spinning like a carousel, one hand instinctively lifting to touch at his suddenly swollen jaw that felt like it had gone out of place. His mind tried to make sense of what just happened, piecing it all together and following the breadcrumb trail that led to the reasons why he found himself lying on the floor. When he finally spoke, it sounded as though he had just taken a trip to the dentist's office and still had a mouthful of gauze.

"Ow! Foh fax 'ake, Gwace!" he yowled. "Th' fawk was 'at foh?!"

He lifted his head to look towards where she had been standing, but all that was there was an open front door through which he could see her car peeling out of the parking lot, tired squealing across broken asphalt. The soothing sounds of INXS gave way to a banging on a wall, an unseen voice shouting, "Keep it down in there, dicknose!" as he fought his way to his feet. Although he hadn't gotten to 'plow puss' as he might have hoped, he still had baby deer legs.

Frank stumbled towards the front door before leaning against the frame for balance, rubbing at his aching jaw and squinting into the sunlight as he stared after the backend of Grace's SUV veering out of the parking lot and onto the main road. What a woman, he thought. A credit to her gender and species. I'll chase her to the ends of this green world. No, Frank didn't think that; not really. He was too busy thinking about how his face hurt and how the entire ordeal had done nothing to soothe the raging erection still rubbing against the fabric of his jeans. A more accurate reflection of Frank's thoughts is as follows:

'Sigh!

Life is hard,

and so am I.'

And so, he shut the door and retreated into the house of his own undoing, just like he had a thousand times before. The Cheshire Motel's would-be disc jockey had resumed his musical stylings. Through the walls, the final refrain of "Need You Tonight" segued into a familiar synth as another song began to play.

It was "Dancing With Myself" by Billy Idol.

I'm sure you can understand the implications of this punchline.

Time/Location: The Outskirts of Town/State Route 480/The Cheshire Motel
Tagging: N/A

Author's Note: The following excerpt from the life of Franklin R. Liddle should be read while thinking of or, better yet, listening to "Let's Go Crazy" as performed by Prince (and The Revolution). For those about to rock, I salute you. Thank you.

Dearly beloved,
We're gathered here today to get through this thing called life…

It was barely 7:00 AM when the tower of black smoke first rose above the pines on the outskirts of town. It formed a ladder to the sky, blustering out over the fields and the foothills, mingling with the clouds as the wind blew westward. In a clearing between a thicket of trees, down a dirt path and out of view from the nearby road, Frank Liddle stood with headphones on, the black wire tracing a trail down to an ancient iPod with scraped paint and a cracked screen playing Prince's perennial masterpiece, Purple Rain . A cigarette hung between his lips. Five empty bottles of lighter fluid lay on the ground at his feet. He watched as flames spewed out from the interior of the sheriff's SUV, that warm orange glow offering comfort on an otherwise chilly morning.

Electric word, life,
It means forever, and that's a mighty long time…

It had been a helter-skelter night followed by a helter-skelter morning. Frank hadn't slept. His eyelids felt like they were growing heavier by the second, body swaying back and forth as a drawn out yawn came barreling out from his throat. His knuckles still hurt, enraged flesh turned cracked and red from where his fists had collided with another man's face, beating against cartilage and bone alike, crimson red still staining where the blood had spritzed his clothes. There was still adrenaline coursing through those veins, jagged and pounding, coupled alongside worry as he wondered where Charlie was and whether or not she was okay. That worry had followed him all morning, crisscrossing the width of his mind every few minutes like clockwork, chaffing his brain. It made his eyes water and his skin shiver. He sniffed at the air and wiped his runny nose with his sleeve before turning and making his way out from the maze of trees, tucking the sheriff's gun into the waistband of his jeans. Out of sight, out of mind.

But I'm here to tell you there's something else…
The afterworld!

The sun had only just lifted its sleepy head above the horizon, but the snow was already melting into nothing more than a million puddles on the ground; The Great Blizzard of '21 turned feeble in the morning's light. Birds on wires and limbs and rooftops all sang the dawn chorus to greet the new day, their voices lifting to a cacophony. Frank crammed balled fists into the pockets of his jacket as he marched himself out of the woods and onto the blackened slush on the shoulder of Route 480. It was a long walk back to town, but at least there was a lot to think about along the way. An unease followed behind Frank, curling its fingers around his shoulders in some hellish, invisible conga line.

A world of never ending happiness!
You can always see the sun, day or night!

It's funny how easily things can turn messy so quickly, ain't it? Frank had spent years living in the exact center of The Mess. He felt comfortable there. He thrived in it, but for once, he felt buried beneath it. There was a part of Frank, dark as a thief's pocket and every bit as vicious, that regretted turning that corner and seeing his sister there with hands around her throat and feet lifted off the ground. It was the same part of him that had been behind the steering wheel for the better part of a decade; that selfish, impulsive part that had searched for meaning at the bottom of liquor bottles and never bothered to take responsibility for the damage he'd caused, the tears shed, the hearts broken. It was the part that Frank had relegated himself to playing; the underachiever, the failure, the disappointment.

So when you call up that shrink in Beverly Hills,
You know the one, Dr. Everything'll-Be-Alright…

But — and this is what we call character development, ladies and gentlemen — every time that part of him raised its voice to disgorge its venom and sow its doubts, Frank knew that if a second chance found him, he wouldn't have done a damn thing different. What was the alternative? He could have walked away. He could have pretended like he hadn't seen a thing. Back to the bars and the liquor, the women and the drugs. He could have lived out the rest of his years in quiet dejection, shaking his head every time Charlie's name got mentioned, attaching words like 'crying shame' and 'too young' to her legacy. There'd be flowers on her grave every holiday and, in the back of his mind, a guilt like an eclipse of moths would have been gnawing a hole through his psyche until he joined her beneath the ground.

Instead of asking him how much of your time is left,
Ask him how much of your mind, babe!

What was done was done. Frank knew he was looking at a future behind bars or, at the very least, on the lam and on the run. He knew that he'd sealed his fate with an act of love disguised as an act of violence. There'd be rumors and suggestions, the wrong people with the wrong intentions, the long arm of the law on their side and that arm reaching to pull him up by his neck hairs. He knew he'd be a martyr and he knew there was nothing he could say, no explanation and no justification, that could take it all back. You don't lay hands on a town sheriff without facing the consequences. Even more, you don't lay hands on one of the Ryans without starting a chain reaction. How many cautionary tales had Frank heard in his lifetime about would-be burglars trying to swindle their way into Birdsong House? That was okay, though. As he trudged through the last remnants of snow and he stared down at his mud-caked boots and the cars drove past, paying no mind to the poor sod with aching feet walking alongside them, he knew it would all be okay. Inevitably. Absolutely. Eventually. Probably.

'Cause in this life,
Things are much harder than in the afterworld!

At the crest of a hill, Frank stopped and stared out over the sun bleached town as it came into view, contemplating what freedom meant and how well he'd fare without it. The DTs were going to be a bitch and a half. He sat himself on the guardrail, lighting another cigarette without looking away for any longer than he had to. It was a magical place and the only place he longed to be, a magnetic pull willing him back whenever he drifted too far away. It was in the way those first rays of sunlight bloomed out from behind the timberlines and all the world turned to shimmers and how the vacant wilderness stretched its legs out all around, Mother Nature's last reminder they were only there because she let them be. It was the smell of fresh pine carried by the breeze, the fog rolling down from the hillsides to settle on the world below, the rivers and streams veining the land. It was all this and more. The days ahead were going to be brutal. He knew that. He knew there'd be boots kicking in his front door and guns pointed in his face. You could feel it in the air, a looming darkness overhead, the Sword of Damocles hanging by a string, Death on a white steed. Maybe, just maybe, he'd go out in a blaze of glory. One last act of rebellion in a life that was full of them.

In this life,
You're on your own.

He stubbed out his cigarette on the guardrail and marched onward into oblivion. Under the overpass and up the offramp, finally back on Mount Sanguine Parkway and all the familiarity that came with it. The Cheshire Motel's sign loomed in the distance, the vacancy sign lit up bright red. There wasn't another soul in sight; the whole town must have been sleeping in late. Frank walked across the cracked asphalt parking lot and came to the door to his motel room, pausing outside after he turned the key in its lock. Deep breath. Heavy sigh. Home sweet home.

And if de-elevator tries to bring you down…
Go crazy. Punch a higher floor!
Whoo!

The motel room was every bit the mess that Frank had left it in. Beer cans strewn across the floor, the overturned ashtrays, the piles of dirty clothes. The proof and curiosa of a slipshod life. Frank pulled the headphones from his head and sat them down alongside the iPod on the cluttered corner table, stretching his arms out wide as he crossed the room, another long yawn escaping before he wiped the sleep from his eyes.

The bathroom door was still closed. At least that was a relief. The turning of the knob felt like it took an eternity, time slowing to a standstill as the door creaked open and the muffled noises came pouring out from inside the darkened bathroom. Frank reached in and flipped the switch, wincing when he saw the sight waiting for him on the other side. Seeing it made it all seem more real than it had a moment before. His face was still a bloody, tattered thing. His wrists and legs were duct taped to a chair, his torso tied to the backrest with rope. A ball gag Frank had received as a gag gift was stuffed in his mouth. Most disconcerting, he was awake now, twisting his body as much as he could, the chair legs scraping against the floor of the shower as Frank stood there in the doorway.

Sheriff Stanley Ryan in the flesh.

Frank had still been under the influence of psychedelic mushrooms when he set up the whole crime scene. He'd left Charlie and the parking lot behind, driving straight to the motel. The sheriff had been unconscious the whole time, even as Frank dragged his body across the potholed parking lot and lifted the larger man into the chair. It seemed like the best idea at the time and, even now that he was sober, Frank couldn't think of a better solution.

There was hatred in Stanley Ryan's eyes. The man looked like he'd gone feral, frothing spit oozing down his chin from where the ball gag kept his mouth from closing. Frank let out a long sigh, reaching up to scratch the top of his head before he stepped inside the bathroom. He pulled the sheriff's gun from where it was tucked in his waistband, sitting it on the vanity before he sat down on the toilet. He hunched over and crossed his hands in his lap, staring down at the dirty linoleum tile as the sheriff's muffled words filled the room. When Frank sat up straight and looked over at the bound sheriff, he'd collected himself enough to know what needed to be said.

"Alright, Stan," Frank said. "I got to say it: Dick move, pal. Dick fuckin' move."

Frank pushed his hand through his hair as he reclined back against the tank of the toilet, looking away again as the sheriff's muffled demands almost definitely turned into muffled curse words." I ain't cuttin' you free, so you ought to just save your energy and stop all that bellyachin' right the fuck now," Frank said. "Where in the livin' hell do you get off, man? Like, fuck. How're you gonna lay hands on another man's sister and then act like he's the asshole? What'd you think was gonna happen? This is what the German's call schad-en-freude, you silly fuck."

Frank was tired. He'd been tired for hours. He shook his head and threw up his arms as he stood back up, looming over the sheriff. Without a second thought, Frank spat in his face, giving him the middle finger salute before he turned to leave the bathroom.

"I ain't slept cause of your dumb ass. I'm layin' down for a couple hours. I've fuckin' earned it," Frank called back. "You sit tight, pal. Don't piss yourself or nothin'. We'll get you sorted out soon as we're able. Fuckin' piece of shit."

For the first time in what felt like a lifetime, Frank slept like a baby.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom