Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Does your skill level fluctuate?

It is all down to my mindset when I write. Clearly if I'm not in the right mindset to write and I try to do it, I'll have trouble writing down anything and what I write isn't going to be that great. It can also decrease as well when I am distracted for sure having people pestering me or having other things going on around me that interrupt my train of thought.

That said when it comes to roleplaying, I noticed largely my ability to write will vary based off my partner. If I have a partner writing a lot and I have details to work off I'll be able to throw several paragraphs out with ease. If I get responses that are very minimal in details or perhaps lacking much to hook onto then it suddenly becomes harder to write and my quality tends to lower a bit. Its not to say I can't still push myself and write more without much to work with, though it will be much more on myself to fill out more details in my head to work from which typically even if Ican manage to do it a few times, I'll eventually lose momentum without much to work off of.
I completely agree that a writing partner can really effect the quality of my writing. I always find that if I can be open with my partners and figure out who my characters are then my writing greatly improves. Conversely, if we don't have much OOC chat then I think my characters can grow stagnant and lose some of their motivation.

For me my skill level can fluctuate completely given the type of story I am writing. There are characters I feel very comfortable writing as, and others that make me second guess my choices and the character's dialogue. That is why I have always appreciated when someone tells me they think something is wrong in the story, because that way I can find out if I am writing below my or my partner's standards.

Having just gotten back into writing, I think I have a long way to go until my standards are back to where they used to be.

All the time. I've had times where I've written something and been beyond proud of it, spoke in great depth about it with a few close friends of mine; only to then come back and look at it again just a few days later and wonder what I possibly could've been thinking to be satisfied with what I originally wrote.

Back
Top Bottom