Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

You are more likely to get female attention with less "blunt" RT titles.

Passion

Fueled
Yes, I'll be the one to say it:
You are more likely to get female attention with less "blunt" RT titles.

Exj_BGsWEAUJQ5z.png
I am only speaking for females since I have talked to a few, and I'm female as well.
Feel free to weigh in no matter your gender, sex, or orientation.

First of all, I'm NOT trying to call anyone out. If anything, I hope it will maybe be taken as advice.
It is easy to see a pattern, talking to some other females around, they see it as well.
At least the MxF request area reminds me of those terrible Tinder stories of bold men.
I'm kinky, but yet I can't help but to hold my breath as I read through MxF titles, hesitating to click on the ones screaming of cock, but inside they sometimes offer depth I'm interested in (eh, not talking physical).
First impressions can mean a lot.

I know the argument will be that it is great a writer is getting right to the point of what they want, which is good in a way, but if you want to increase your odds, I'd reconsider.​

Last edited:
You aren't wrong and I agree.

Not that I feel called out but for me personally. I do this as a hobby, like many others, and this is just meant for fun. I rarely put out RT and when I do, it is usually because I want something specific in the moment and that is all I'm really interested in. So usually my RT will generally reflect that. Usually. For other people that bump daily and are looking daily, I would reckon changing up the title and approach would most likely benefit them.

Also, I'm just bad at titles. Sometimes takes me like a day alone on thinking of an interesting or clever title just for some of my RPs.

An engaging Title helps a lot, it's true - and that can be said of ALL forums, not just the Titles in the "M seeing F" section.

As a person who looks (or has looked; I'm not really looking any more) for stories in all three forums - writing as Male, writing as Female, writing as Non-Binary - lots of request threads suffer from unimaginative titles.

The saying goes "You can't judge a book by its cover", and that is very often true. But we all do it, and RTs are no different. So if you want someone to read your book (RT), you need to make the cover (Title) something that will capture the would-be reader's attention.

I would add an asterisk to the statement: You are more likely to get story/writing-oriented female attention with less blunt titles.

Though they seem to be less active in the community areas of the site, there are lots of people writing here - male and female - who have zero interest in wading through plot. Any plot, really. A super-blunt title is a good way to attract that type of writer - which is probably exactly what they’re looking for.

I suppose you could make the case that women, as a whole, are culturally trained to be less overt about their desire for sex. They’ve been told that they can’t just “give it away” - “it” has to be earned or coerced or some shit. That might encourage a greater percentage of women to favor plot over smut, as the smut must be “earned” by the plot.

But, regardless of gender, if a writer is looking for pure smut, a blunt title can be a great way to eliminate those with other interests.

This is so true!
I never thought of it, but i'm unlikely to click on "looking for milf!" or worse, while the writer might be great etc. I just am not attracted. I love smut though, don't want fade to black, etc, but I am turned off. Just suggest the same with a nice story LOL

What's meant by "blunt?" Because I'm not so sure I agree.

I've written before that (for my attention at least) the kiss of death is vague and generic titles, like "some plots," or "person's request thread." I'm into pretty specific themes and styles of RPing, so a thread title that's direct and clear is far more likely to get my attention than one that gives nothing away and beats around the bush.

I don't mind sex in my roleplays but I enjoy telling a story. If the characters get it on, that's awesome. With that said, I do skip over titles that seem to cater more to smut rather than a good balance of both. Not that anything is wrong with it. Everyone is free to do whatever pleases them as far as roleplay is concerned.

For what it's worth, the blunt titles always do stick out to me, but that's not necessarily a good thing.

With titles that are more vague or uninteresting, I think I'm actually more likely to click on them multiple times because I will have straight up forgotten I read through them already. Does this make me more inclined to reach out to the thread author for an RP? Not in the least. But hey, you got the eyeballs I guess.

With the blunt titles, if I read your thread and said nah, you can bet I will probably not click on it a second time unless you trick me by renaming it.

What's meant by "blunt?" Because I'm not so sure I agree.

I've written before that (for my attention at least) the kiss of death is vague and generic titles, like "some plots," or "person's request thread." I'm into pretty specific themes and styles of RPing, so a thread title that's direct and clear is far more likely to get my attention than one that gives nothing away and beats around the bush.
"My hard cock is looking for cum hungry sluts" kind of titles. - All I'm saying that if it maybe said something like, "My secret desires", or something less blunt, you will get more clicks even if you are smut heavy.

I'm definitely more likely to click on a thread with an interesting/witty title. I don't think this is the equivalent of judging a book by its cover because I'm not using the title to evaluate the possibility of writing with a partner. Titles are the first tool to catch my attention in a long list of RTs. Its more like a good ad; if it doesn't catch your interest within the first second or two, you're going to skip it or tune out.

I'm willing to bet this applies to both genders as well.

I've tried both extravagant titles (either humorous or witty in nature), and more blunt titles to express exactly what I want to weed out people who wouldn't be interested in the genre I want.

Frankly I didn't notice any difference in engagement between either format.

Speaking for myself, I have found that a title being blunt or witty does not really affect whether I click on a thread. I read RTs for funsies in order to learn more about the individual members that make up the community and their desires for the stories they wish to write and roleplays they wish to play in. The only advantage I find with blunt titles is that they can give you a clear idea of what to expect whereas witty creative titles might be misleading. I have seen people write super smutty sounding prompts but want something like 90% plot. I find overall though that I care less about titles and more about content.

I think it has a bit to do with the type of bluntness. There's blunt that doesn't invoke the same way as post 10 and delivers its message. I do enjoy a more witty title, but when it comes down to content it's not my objective.

I have definitely noticed the more "blunt" titles tend to be men or folks playing as men but it's not like there's a lack of blunt titles for women. I do think there's something about those blunt titles that turn me personally off. Though again, I might not be the greatest person to ask. Even when I'm looking for short term stuff, I want something with depth. I don't want something that requires no thinking at all. And it's a difficult line to convey with my titles...which are pretty plain. But at least they might get people to look.

I've seen the smutty titles from "Females" as well and I guess they probably do attract males but it turns me off. I want someone who is interested in building characters and a story so "Come and use me like a whore" etc does nothing for me.

The thing is regardless of the gender, if that is what someone actually wants then it is a good thing they put it out there to save other people's time.

I think I agree with Scylla here. I don't RP looking for smut, I am looking for an interesting and fun story with smut in it, so I tend to go for the less blunt titles too but I could definitely see myself being in the mood and going for the most obvious, crude title possible when I was younger and in the mood for it. Couldn't say which gender uses those titles more though I would guess the male section would be overcrowded with them, I have seen them in both though.

I'd even bet they still get a lot of interest.

"My hard cock is looking for cum hungry sluts" kind of titles. - All I'm saying that if it maybe said something like, "My secret desires", or something less blunt, you will get more clicks even if you are smut heavy.
What about "Thy stiffened phallus quivers for noblewomen who desire thine seed"? Would that work or is it still too blunt?

I don't like especially "smutty" titles ~ even the word "smut" sounds somehow cheap to me, to be completely honest. To me, that suggests a tone and degree of graphic/genital fixation that I'm not usually quite feeling.

I'm not looking for more flowery language to get around it exactly (not like period language or giant technical words)... Personally I'd like more down to earth yet sensitive, more psychological and emotional touchstones. It's easier to work those in with some references or comparisons to the story, even a more general sort of story with fleeting pieces. Or to pieces of the setting and atmosphere.

And I do want well yes some story, though I'm completely happy to discuss what sort exactly person by person if we have enough agreement about kinks and style. I'd rather have a feeling that a person has lots of inspiring pieces and the energy to help arrange them in different ways until we have a good match, than just a few very specific story cravings without much flexibility. I'm not super flexible about kinks so if it turns out they're not at all agile and willing to discuss about story, that's already pretty unlikely.

On the other hand, I do like the title to give some idea about the general flavor of a person's kinks, because you can never convince me that everyone has mine or that most people would really, seriously play "anything" omg. And if there is just one thing they're just dying for, then it doesn't hurt to put it in there and let people save time deciding about that. Whether it's plot or kink or both.

Of course people are going to vary on these things a lot.

I’m ok with blunt sometimes…but it makes me think twice. I’m no novella writer, I do love the smut and if the rp goes the route of getting right to it, so be it. However. I would be concerned that the persons idea of a plot it “you see me jerking and you have to have it.” I’ve walked in on a few of those cases and have never once felt that sudden urge to pounce.

I think @LydiaTessaro said it best.

Every title is directed towards a specific audience. If I'm planning to attract more story heavy partners, the title and the entire structure of the thread will be built around appeasing the minds of said writers.

What I'll add is ... A vulgar vs witty title for smut focused threads is quite a gamble. Not everyone enjoys a vulgar title, but a lot find a witty/clever/humorous title more interesting and have them click on the thread. Sex focused threads are by default at risk of being brushed over and ignored, so going the blunt way may not be the best of choice.

However, what if its kink focused? Sometimes putting up the kink right in the title is a sure way to attract partners who either seeks said kink or attract new potential curious partners. But again, wording it is key. I think making it crass is less appealing ... Unless the kink in question is crass talk? I'm not judging or shaming.

I think its important to differentiate between blunt or direct titles, and poorly worded vulgar ones. Not that there's anything wrong with either, but most of the time, a little prelude to the nasty depraved things we'd like to indulge in, is always great. So shedding all decorum and going at it from the start ... have its own audience.

Though this might explain why my thread never earned much attention. Around a year now, and I get clicks without echos. Though its a fandoms request, so I've no idea how blunt or reserved do I need to be about it.

Just my two cents.

I don't like especially "smutty" titles ~ even the word "smut" sounds somehow cheap to me, to be completely honest. To me, that suggests a tone and degree of graphic/genital fixation that I'm not usually quite feeling.

I'm not looking for more flowery language to get around it exactly (not like period language or giant technical words)... Personally I'd like more down to earth yet sensitive, more psychological and emotional touchstones. It's easier to work those in with some references or comparisons to the story, even a more general sort of story with fleeting pieces. Or to pieces of the setting and atmosphere.

And I do want well yes some story, though I'm completely happy to discuss what sort exactly person by person if we have enough agreement about kinks and style. I'd rather have a feeling that a person has lots of inspiring pieces and the energy to help arrange them in different ways until we have a good match, than just a few very specific story cravings without much flexibility. I'm not super flexible about kinks so if it turns out they're not at all agile and willing to discuss about story, that's already pretty unlikely.

On the other hand, I do like the title to give some idea about the general flavor of a person's kinks, because you can never convince me that everyone has mine or that most people would really, seriously play "anything" omg. And if there is just one thing they're just dying for, then it doesn't hurt to put it in there and let people save time deciding about that. Whether it's plot or kink or both.

Of course people are going to vary on these things a lot.
I don't like the word "Smut" and draw a distinction between Smut and what I like which I would call "Erotica". Smut can just be your basic sex driven rp where both people are probably typing away furiously with one hand. No attention or care for story or character development just the smut itself.

I like the sexual elements to have some reason and complement the story rather than it just being this non stop crazy thing where every post seems to become ridiculous than the last. I like some realism to it all as well.

Like you I don't mind people who are honest about what they want and it saves me time clicking on their threads. I belong to another RP forum where it is against the rules to include your kinks in the RT thread title which sucks as it means you have to open threads only to see you have nothing in common.

The threads that works best for me are always threads with a focused theme. I've yet to get my arse into gear and make one such idea thread as of yet, but when I did last year, it even got traction to ideas I'd otherwise had no success with. I think the reason is this: If the theme is in the title, and then followed up on in detail in the thread itself, you'll;

A: Get attention from people interested in the theme, which results in higher "conversion numbers", as ad folks would say it.
B: Keep their focus as the thread 'stays on theme', which is a theme they're interested in.

If the choices are "how do we make the most out of this theme?" rather than "what theme should we play?", I guess it makes it easier to really 'nerd out with it' as the reader of the thread. Downside is, of course, that you'll be making a thread for each theme, which is a bit of a pain, even if a somewhat fun pain. Even bigger downside, you have to choose one theme and stick to it. >.>

In other words, I should really make idea threads again, lmao.

I say I love bluntness and vulgarity, but it can feel 'classy' too, especially if delivered with a bit of wit, or after a little buildup. Most of the time though it seems people have different definitions for these words, and if somebody's idea of being vulgar is shouting 'slut' and 'cock' left and right, or spewing countless amounts of bad words at me, then I get a bit disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom