Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

KOTOR remake

tienteeze95

Meteorite
On mobile, sorry if this topic has been discussed already. KOTOR were probably my favorite action/rpg games I’ve played. The first for its story and the second I thought expanded well on gameplay and rpg elements. What are everyone’s thoughts on the remake. How different will it be? And what do you hope they change?

I'll be honest... I think KOTOR 1 is one of the most overrated games of all time. However, I want this remake to be very awesome; I hope they expand the worlds and add additional side quests so you can't finish a planet in less than an hour, add some new conversations to continue fleshing out the supporting characters, and add more diversity in animations and builds.

I hope the remake sells well enough that they'll remake KOTOR 2, which I think is a fantastic sequel and has one of the best supporting characters and antagonists in that entire fandom. Malak ain't shit compared to the Triumvirate.

I'll be honest... I think KOTOR 1 is one of the most overrated games of all time. However, I want this remake to be very awesome; I hope they expand the worlds and add additional side quests so you can't finish a planet in less than an hour, add some new conversations to continue fleshing out the supporting characters, and add more diversity in animations and builds.

I hope the remake sells well enough that they'll remake KOTOR 2, which I think is a fantastic sequel and has one of the best supporting characters and antagonists in that entire fandom. Malak ain't shit compared to the Triumvirate.
OG KOTOR without mods is pretty ass, I love the game but it hasn't aged well at all, I do find drawing parallels between it and later BioWare games like DA and ME interesting though, ME1 literally has the same menu interface and squad selection save for some minor tweaks...and it also has the same problems : barren worlds to explore save for some side-questing, numerous glitches and wonky textures/face models at times coupled with clunky combat.

My hope for it is that they expand on the OG games while not altering the writing much, never had any problems with that, it's really the core system that holds me back from replaying it anymore than once every couple of years as it'd drive me crazy. More variety on builds would be a godsend, especially raising the cap slightly as you eventually feel that playing a Jedi/Sith is...disappointing and avoiding levels altogether is a pain. That, and what they did to KOTOR II's content is a travesty in general, the community literally made a better game themselves XD.

I can't even get into Dragon Age; I think it's probably one of the most boring fantasy games I've ever played, and I couldn't even finish Inquisition, but I do know what you mean when it comes to very barren environments with little to do outside of the occasional side quests. I prefer dozens of new side quests and locations to make the planet feel more alive--maybe the Dune Sea can actually feel like the Dune Sea and not the Dune Swimming Pool, and expanding the Shadowlands on Kashyyyk would be dope as fuck. We also need greater variation in NPC's wandering around. I know the limitations of the past, but they've got a chance to make NPC's much more unique in this remake and I hope they take advantage of this.

And the combat system is pretty bad; unlock Master Speed and Master Flurry and the game is hilariously trivial at that point. There's little strategy involved, though maybe people prefer it that way, and once you unlock the special moves to trivialize every encounter, it's just a boring grind all the way to the end for yet another boring final level. I would want one of the changes to be that you can get points you spent on your first class returned and placed into your second class; it's optimal for players to not spend many points so they can save them for the second class.

KOTOR II's protagonist and antagonists were so fucking cool that it's the only game I'd replay; if they fill in all the cut content and add even more, oh my god I'll get it day one.

I can't even get into Dragon Age; I think it's probably one of the most boring fantasy games I've ever played, and I couldn't even finish Inquisition, but I do know what you mean when it comes to very barren environments with little to do outside of the occasional side quests. I prefer dozens of new side quests and locations to make the planet feel more alive--maybe the Dune Sea can actually feel like the Dune Sea and not the Dune Swimming Pool, and expanding the Shadowlands on Kashyyyk would be dope as fuck. We also need greater variation in NPC's wandering around. I know the limitations of the past, but they've got a chance to make NPC's much more unique in this remake and I hope they take advantage of this.

And the combat system is pretty bad; unlock Master Speed and Master Flurry and the game is hilariously trivial at that point. There's little strategy involved, though maybe people prefer it that way, and once you unlock the special moves to trivialize every encounter, it's just a boring grind all the way to the end for yet another boring final level. I would want one of the changes to be that you can get points you spent on your first class returned and placed into your second class; it's optimal for players to not spend many points so they can save them for the second class.

KOTOR II's protagonist and antagonists were so fucking cool that it's the only game I'd replay; if they fill in all the cut content and add even more, oh my god I'll get it day one.
I'm having a tough time fully getting into DA now that the 'new game enthusiasm' has died down, it's the kind of game that's more fun to learn about via the lore (which is actually better than the games themselves IMO with all the side material), if I didn't get Inquisition for free I probably wouldn't have gotten into it, always feels like the interactions with other characters are an entire separate thing and the flow is ruined as a result because you'll spend 5-10 minutes exploring or bashing things, then it's time to save-scum so you get people to like YC and do some side-quests. Probably will give up on it at some point if it doesn't improve.

Something I'm hoping for is to have the original cast back for the characters as I think the performances were very solid, with improved graphics they could become even more expressive than they were previously with limited resources.

I always laugh at the NPCs, you have a black dude, a woman, bald guy and...that's it outside of the aliens who often share VAs and models with the one you met 5 hours ago to go pay his taxes or some shit. Variety really is the thing the games are missing, it feels very hollow and it's annoying as fuck to see so much cool stuff just out of your reach or reveal itself to be disappointing when you actually are given the chance to explore. Hopefully if we ever get KOTOR III, they can improve upon the core mechanics even more.

Let's hope it won't end up being another GTA Trilogy.

The story I could get behind if the gameplay wasn't ass, but I'll leave it there before this turns into a thread bashing Dragon Age instead of talking about KOTOR lol.

I hope the original cast reprises their roles as well. With some gameplay enhancements, maybe people like Mission Vao have some relevancy in later missions that aren't related to just slicing doors. The deeper into the game you go, the more limited your choice of party members feels. You're basically using only Jedi by the end. A change I'd want to see is splitting the party up into groups again and getting to let them shine outside of following your character around. Mission just fell off big time after Taris and I'd like to see her and T3 get to save everyone from a bad circumstance; not every battle needs to be won with a lightsaber. I'd prefer seeing wins with intellect, too. And if people just wanna kill everything and spam Lightning, there's always that.

MOOCHU SHAKA PAKA x 10000 lol. Better models, better armor sets (seriously, all armor in KOTOR looks like garbage, and let us HIDE helmets ffs), and better animations would go a long, long way for a singe player experience, and we don't get many of those in this day and age any longer. As for KOTOR3, probably not happening; SWTOR is the sequel and we know what happened to Revan and the Exile, so there's nowhere else for them to go with that. Retconning it would invalidate the millions of dollars spent creating the MMO and I don't see them doing it.

People would pay for a remaster easily, but a complete remake promises so much more. Rockstar just wanted to make easy millions and they succeeded.

Back
Top Bottom