Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Jericho Z. Barrons

Withdrawn
Withdrawn
How do you feel about movies and tv shows that include references/acknowledge the pandemic in their fictional reality?

Like, crime procedurals or comedy shows, or movies set in modern times. Do you like it when they mention the pandemic?

On the one hand, it's a bit of a downer. In real life, everyone is wearing masks and now, in your newest fav tv show/movie, everyone is wearing masks in there too. There's no escape from the dreadful thing that is plaguing our world. Especially if they go full realism and decide to include vaccine deniers and how dangerous that is. It's a bit depressing.

But on the other hand, if they don't include the Covid pandemic, yet the movie is set in modern times, then it's this odd historical piece where everything is still pre-2020, Trump is still president, and none of these people have relatable problems because they haven't been touched by the worldwide pandemic yet. Or it's this strange alternate universe where it IS 2021 but the pandemic never happened. In some ways, escapism is important but in others, there's something comforting about seeing your tv shows miming and dealing and surviving the pandemic, with masks and talk of vaccines.

What do you think?

I think this topic is probably not a good idea.

I think it'll be alright. People who sign on this site are mature enough to handle a reasonable discussion about something that is very present in our world right now.

Last edited:
What? Why? 😦 I am genuinely flabbergasted.
For the most part, people dive into fiction - whether it be movies, TV shows, books, RP, or something else - to escape the real world, if only for a little while.

Having real-world situations thrust in their faces when they're trying to escape just that generally doesn't go down well.

Mostly, this was prompted as I watched the new Dexter series promo(I haven't seen any of it yet), which is supposedly set 10 years after the series finale of the original Dexter show(which premiered in 2013). So, I wondered if the characters were going to be affected by or mention Covid at all. And then I had the odd thought if that would make the show better or worse if they mentioned the pandemic or acted affected by its presence. I mean, it's fundamentally changed the world. It would feel weird if they were set in 2021 or after(10 years after 2013 is 2023, yeah?) and acted like Covid didn't happen.

I think people interact with fiction to inform and engage with realistic things in a safe, fictional environment and to educate themselves on perspectives they're not knowledgeable about. It can be comforting and informative to watch people deal with the aftermath of trauma, for instance, without wanting to escape into that as a fantasy. It helps you view things that you've never experienced in a way that you can understand. It can also help those struggling with trauma themselves to watch characters struggling with it. They feel less alone and they can see someone overcome and triumph over a bad situation, it can be empowering for the watcher. In that way, I think seeing characters like Dexter or the cops on Law and Order acknowledging Covid has happened, can make us feel like we're not alone and less alienated from them.

Recently, Big Bird got vaccinated for Covid and I think that is really great, especially in helping kids be educated about vaccines. Big Bird has been vaccinated against COVID-19

I think it'll be alright. People who sign on this site are mature enough to handle a reasonable discussion about something that is very present in our world right now.
I think that is a flawed assumption. I remember that a few months ago, myself and others were specifically asked to refrain from discussing Covid in chat because it might be severely upsetting to people.

I noticed it was the same few storylines getting repeated over a bunch of shows. After living through it for over a year I don't need to see it again on TV. I don't watch TV to see reality or be informed/educated.

Back
Top Bottom