Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)
But they are not conducted in that way. They usually end up in name calling and warnings from moderators.
The bad ones yes, and with such contentious issues as religion it is not shocking to find. It is rare to find someone who can have their faith challenged without backlash, and the same goes for the atheist side.

However to me that would be like comparing the westburrow church with all religious institutions which would be the same claim as because many people suck at debates and let them devolve to little more than mudslinging that we should discount all discussion on the matter.

I think discussions are different than formal debates. I find discussion on this level very useful because of the active participation required from those involved. I have to think about my position and articulate it clearly and I have to properly assess the validity of what someone else has said, and determine how it fits with my stance. Sometimes, you can change your mind or open your understanding from discussing things with others who don't necessarily agree. And it helps if the forum has a good moderation team who keep folks civil just from everyone knowing where the boundaries of decorum are.

I don't consider this debate, even if our point of views are opposing. It's casual conversation, like we're chilling in the living room at Vek's house and talking about things that interest us/we have an opinion on. I'm more talking about formal debates with a specific schedule, topic, and audience. Are those useful?

I think discussions are different than formal debates. I find discussion on this level very useful because of the active participation required from those involved. I have to think about my position and articulate it clearly and I have to properly assess the validity of what someone else has said, and determine how it fits with my stance. Sometimes, you can change your mind or open your understanding from discussing things with others who don't necessarily agree. And it helps if the forum has a good moderation team who keep folks civil just from everyone knowing where the boundaries of decorum are.

I don't consider this debate, even if our point of views are opposing. It's casual conversation, like we're chilling in the living room at Vek's house and talking about things that interest us/we have an opinion on. I'm more talking about formal debates with a specific schedule, topic, and audience. Are those useful?
There really is little difference between discussion, and debate. Yet in your terms sometimes it is easier for a debate on sensitive topics if done right. As I said with religion you get a lot of issues, same goes for close to home issues such as sexuality, lifestyle choices, and really anything that a negative view will get you screamed at even if it is to get a greater understanding of both sides.

This is where the lack of good mods comes into effect. Though with the constant attack with mob rule even those areas are breaking down to the rule of fantasy. It is up to people to decide if debat is either right or something to continue maybe. Yes there is good reason for such things, but if it is going to be used for mudslinging we have issues.

Similar to are cell phones good or bad? Humans now have the collective knowledge of human history at their fingertips, and some people use it to lick all the containers of ice cream. Or drop milk jugs in stores.

Well in the atheist vs creationist usually the most interesting thing I find discussed is often the base of morality, but that is neither here nor there as to the issues of civility in a debate...

The reason at least some good will is needed you only need to watch the US 'debates' between those of the same party. If the Moderator has picked a side in most of those things it goes off the rails giving some members less time in a limited form, and sometimes making sure others do not get a voice.

As for if between two people if you are unwilling to be civil, and shout over your opponent not allowing them to speak, and again a poor mod allowing for such actions it becomes almost like a faux lecture not a debate. Losing any semblance of a discussion of ideas.

These issue are either defeated by someone willing to take the stage back either by charisma or a good mod setting the room to allow for such civilities. Though this is not always the case if you are staring down a hostile crowd, with a hostile mod, and a hostile opponents speaking beliefs with all the data in the would will not save you.

Tactics such as having a mean tone will often throw off a conversation as most people are polite, and do not want to work which is why often the best of those at debating have a level constant tone with slight deviation when empassioned, but rarely being rude as such bulling behavior was often frowned upon despite several historical figures using it to great success.

Hope this comes out coherent getting ready for sleep.

First off, thank you for engaging with the points I made; and second I think your counter points well reasoned. Now I'm going to break this down some.

From your post there are what I think could be considered four main points. One, a good will towards participants. Though your example moves this onto a third party in the form of a moderator; but we will return to this later. Two, dominating the debate by preventing the other party from engaging negates the idea that a debate is actually a debate. Three, if one ideological side is entirely hostile to the notion of debate then debate can not happen. Four, tone matters to an audience.

If I have misinterpreted your points then please correct me; but I will address them as I have understood them.

For your first point you bring up as example a biased moderator limiting speaking time and in particular political debate as seen in primaries and the harm this does to the perception of a debate. To which I can agree, if the idea was the free exchange of ideas for such a format. Convincing people is not the goal here, rallying a core of followers to get them to go and actively campaign is. And the moderator will provide cover for whoever best suits their employer's needs.

So I have to ask, if a system is going to be biased against you, why play fair with it? And if it is biased in your favor, is it hurting your goal of motivating your voting base?

Moving along to point two, I feel the need to link a debate I greatly enjoyed. Richard Wolff vs Destiny. It's not a very good debate, first off because Destiny isn't that smart to begin with and relies too heavily on wikipedia for his arguments. Second Professor Wolff is not a good debater; but what he is good at is being a lecturer, suppose it has something to do with being a professor. And Lance who moderated the debate did do a lousy time. I still found it useful though as Wolff is pretty good at explaining difficult concepts and seeing Destiny get flustered entertained me.

So despite what you may think of the participants, or of one side dominating the debate, is a debate bad if there is still information being provided to an audience?

Point number three, I think this comes down to being able to read terrain and know when and how to pick your battles; but this against begs the question as to what is the purpose of a debate. If Bernie Sanders goes on Fox News he can introduce an audience that would never otherwise watch him to new ideas; a more conservative democrat doesn't really offer much in the way of difference in ideological framework from a republican, even if the audience and host are hostile to them.

This again gets at the heart of what is the purpose of debate, you can win the war and lose the battle. Just look at Hrairoo's opening post and how he came to change his opinions. He was firmly in one camp, it took an event in his personal life to make him re-evaluate what he believed; but if he had never been exposed to said ideas in the first place there'd be no seed to plant in the soil.

For the last point, I agree and I don't. Tone matters, but we put too much weight in it. It matters because it's what people expect, it is nice and we are social creatures that generally prefer as little friction between one another as we can manage. Good things, sure. But it hides how vile and disgusting a thought pattern can be.

I'm going to link two clips.

Clip 1 I like this video as I think it talks a good strategy for dealing with dishonest people, even if you may disagree with the context in which it's presented.

Clip 2 This clip is longer and the subject angers me; but demonstrates how even someone with a low even tone can be a vile individual pushing ideas that have killed at least one person directly. Sure it's not a debate; but I feel that we are too quick to lend difference and authority just because someone sounds calm.

So to recap, I think the root of the question here is when is a debate not a debate, and does that matter?

Sorry if I've been a little rambling, had some OT at work today and my thoughts are still a bit scattered; but I thought it best to be at least somewhat timely with my response.

I don't know how much more I have to contribute because I'm not entirely in disagreement with what others have said. I only felt the need to push back on the notion of civility being a preeminent concern for a debate.

Which again is bullshit, there is no reason for me to debate a holocaust denier; no matter how polite they are, how structured the format would be, how "unbaised" a moderator could be. Sure, it's an extreme example; but when people put forth an idea front and center then we must test it at all points.

Again, I'm rambling, and I don't feel like editing this any more than I already have. I have made my point, I don't think it entirely unreasonable within the context I have provided. So I think I'm done with this thread, unless I see any more egregious arguments. Just know Arclight I have no considered any of your points egregious, you honestly engaged with my points and looked past the abrasive tone I had intentionally adopted.

Last edited:
First off, thank you for engaging with the points I made; and second I think your counter points well reasoned. Now I'm going to break this down some.

From your post there are what I think could be considered four main points. One, a good will towards participants. Though your example moves this onto a third party in the form of a moderator; but we will return to this later. Two, dominating the debate by preventing the other party from engaging negates the idea that a debate is actually a debate. Three, if one ideological side is entirely hostile to the notion of debate then debate can not happen. Four, tone matters to an audience.

If I have misinterpreted your points then please correct me; but I will address them as I have understood them.

For your first point you bring up as example a biased moderator limiting speaking time and in particular political debate as seen in primaries and the harm this does to the perception of a debate. To which I can agree, if the idea was the free exchange of ideas for such a format. Convincing people is not the goal here, rallying a core of followers to get them to go and actively campaign is. And the moderator will provide cover for whoever best suits their employer's needs.

So I have to ask, if a system is going to be biased against you, why play fair with it? And if it is biased in your favor, is it hurting your goal of motivating your voting base?

Moving along to point two, I feel the need to link a debate I greatly enjoyed. Richard Wolff vs Destiny. It's not a very good debate, first off because Destiny isn't that smart to begin with and relies too heavily on wikipedia for his arguments. Second Professor Wolff is not a good debater; but what he is good at is being a lecturer, suppose it has something to do with being a professor. And Lance who moderated the debate did do a lousy time. I still found it useful though as Wolff is pretty good at explaining difficult concepts and seeing Destiny get flustered entertained me.

So despite what you may think of the participants, or of one side dominating the debate, is a debate bad if there is still information being provided to an audience?

Point number three, I think this comes down to being able to read terrain and know when and how to pick your battles; but this against begs the question as to what is the purpose of a debate. If Bernie Sanders goes on Fox News he can introduce an audience that would never otherwise watch him to new ideas; a more conservative democrat doesn't really offer much in the way of difference in ideological framework from a republican, even if the audience and host are hostile to them.

This again gets at the heart of what is the purpose of debate, you can win the war and lose the battle. Just look at Hrairoo's opening post and how they came to change their opinions. They were firmly in one camp, it took an event in their personal life to make them re-evaluate what they believe; but if they had never been exposed to said ideas in the first place there'd be no seed to plant in the soil.

For the last point, I agree and I don't. Tone matters, but we put too much weight in it. It matters because it's what people expect, it is nice and we are social creatures that generally prefer as little friction between one another as we can manage. Good things, sure. But it hides how vile and disgusting a thought pattern can be.

I'm going to link two clips.

Clip 1 I like this video as I think it talks a good strategy for dealing with dishonest people, even if you may disagree with the context in which it's presented.

Clip 2 This clip is longer and the subject angers me; but demonstrates how even someone with a low even tone can be a vile individual pushing ideas that have killed at least one person directly. Sure it's not a debate; but I feel that we are too quick to lend difference and authority just because someone sounds calm.

So to recap, I think the root of the question here is when is a debate not a debate, and does that matter?

Sorry if I've been a little rambling, had some OT at work today and my thoughts are still a bit scattered; but I thought it best to be at least somewhat timely with my response.

I don't know how much more I have to contribute because I'm not entirely in disagreement with what others have said. I only felt the need to push back on the notion of civility being a preeminent concern for a debate.

Which again is bullshit, there is no reason for me to debate a holocaust denier; no matter how polite they are, how structured the format would be, how "unbaised" a moderator could be. Sure, it's an extreme example; but when people put forth an idea front and center then we must test it at all points.

Again, I'm rambling, and I don't feel like editing this any more than I already have. I have made my point, I don't think it entirely unreasonable within the context I have provided. So I think I'm done with this thread, unless I see any more egregious arguments. Just know Arclight I have no considered any of your points egregious, you honestly engaged with my points and looked past the abrasive tone I had intentionally adopted.
That is because tone may be harsh, but you made a good point, and even if we disagree on our points we seem to be closer together than apart it's just actual intelligent debate gets muddled by all sorts of factors.

With that said in good faith, I have some clips to listen to!

No rush and honestly no real need, all in all I think I linked over two hours of content; but if you do I hope you find value in them.

Next morning and I realized I had forgotten I had wanted to include a humorous clip to close out my comments. To give a little background Steven Crowder, a popular right wing media commentator, has been ducking Sam Seder in regards to a debate, possibly due to his father not letting him as one Politicon organizer commented. And this one I won't hide behind a link.

View: https://youtu.be/aULN4dCkGQ0

Next morning and I realized I had forgotten I had wanted to include a humorous clip to close out my comments. To give a little background Steven Crowder, a popular right wing media commentator, has been ducking Sam Seder in regards to a debate, possibly due to his father not letting him as one Politicon organizer commented. And this one I won't hide behind a link.

View: https://youtu.be/aULN4dCkGQ0

Well that's cause Sam Seder tried to use another person to sneak onto Crowders show, and lied saying he sent a review to head of Crowders team with the wrong person addressed. I would not debate him either cause all he wants is a gotcha instead of a debate, and with crowder getting tossed off YouTube for maybe infractions ehh. I am a right leaning libertarian (Mostly right leaning cause they usually do not give more power to the government) yet Crowder is a good check for my confirmation bias cause I do happen to think he is rather mean spirited despite usually being smart enough to be well researched.

As for the Wolf debate you and I would disagree greatly Wolf seemed weasily to me with his answers, and Destiny was right to call him out for that. Then because Destiny he sucks at debates let him get drawn to the stock market of all things which has one of the greatest flaws of a capitalistic system while leaving the best arguments against Wolf's lecture unsaid pretty cringe. (Never heard of either one before so I have no context on either person). The Mods really did suck giving no focus to the debate even when it was question orientated.

Your clip one the guy admits that a certain civility is important, and funny enough admits he was rude cause he had to get the last word in which funny enough is far more important than it should be. (Don't know on debate context, and not really the point here.)

Your second clip, I did not see much of a debate tactic they were more breaking down the opinion of a man who can't defend himself any more. As well as taking shots probably fairly at the Dark Horse group which since I have no context myself can only say as long as they were being honest yeah the guy should feel some of the burden of his words.

Really putting up some interesting topics recently, thank you.

Anyway, I'm a little mixed on it. Are they fun to watch? Absolutely, there is a channel I like, Jubilee, which has debates such as Flat Earther's vs Scientists and Police vs Former Criminals. I do enjoy watching the, absorbing both points of view and I honestly feel I learn a little about how each side thinks. Obviously you end up coming down on or starting on the same side as a particular person or group but you can very much see something from the opposition and feel "you know, that's kind of valid," if you keep an open mind. I think that's not just entertaining, that's useful.

I watched a bunch of the Steven Crowder debates, you know the "change my mind" ones? Personally I feel the man is obnoxious, I dislike the tactics he uses, I strongly disagree with the vast majority of his points but I watched anyway, I did find some information useful, the whole thing entertaining. I learned some things I didn't know and how the other side thinks. I do think that's useful.

But...you have to go into them with an open mind. If you go to watch a debate just to see who wins, you're learning nothing. As you said, you'll come out of it feeling like the person you agree with the most won, it was a slam dunk, and that really doesn't teach you anything because the viewers aligned with the opposition will feel the same. Look at any Trump vs Biden debate on youtube, the presidential ones, then take a peek at the comments. Supporters of both sides always felt their side won the debate but I hate the term 'won' for those in general. It can be a factor that one side has an objectively stronger argument but it comes down to your belief system, and in the end nobody wins when both sides feel they won and no minds are changed, so use them as an educational tool rather than a combat sport.

Debates help you see different points of view so long as you stay level headed and genuinely want to engage in a debate. It doesn’t matter who wins or if there’s even a winner. What matters is if you have a better understanding of the other side. Only then can you change your opinion.

I like debates. They’ve further root my opinions and outright destroy them. Making me think for some time while looking up further sources until I can finally come to a new opinion.

Growing is a part of life that doesn’t stop, only slows down. I think it’s important to hear opinions even if you disagree with them. That way you get a better understanding where they’re coming from.

I get through to people relatively often. I feel, perhaps arrogantly so, that I'm one of the few who can do this at the moment. Which is concerning. I can't alone argue for every idea, and I'm going to be wrong more often than not because I don't have 12 PhD's. Without a significant increase in the number of people who knows how to argue in a way that gets through to people, I'm fighting an impossible uphill battle.

This will be a improvised guide. A "Laa's guide to debating in a way that actually changes minds"

1. Identify where, when and who to debate
  2. Always go for the ball, never the person
  3. Realize the importance of feelings; do not rely solely on logic
  4. Admit your mistakes publicly and without shame. Admit your shortcomings in knowledge; humble yourself
  5. Analyze their assumptions; ask about them. Engage in the Socratic method whenever possible
  6. Analyze their points, answer only the points that are relevant, sometimes even less than that
  7. Be willing to let them plant a seed in your mind, just as you expect them to let you plant a seed in theirs

Let's go through the list!

1: Identify where, when and who to debate
You won't be able to pick debates willy nilly. People need to be in a specific place and be in a specific mood in order for them to be able to be receptive to a proper civil debate. For example, if you go to the socialist reddit and talk about how awesome capitalism is, it doesn't matter how great your points are, you will get slaughtered in the most cruel ways, at least for what is possible with words. (And vice versa, don't go to ancap's reddit and argue for socialism)

The place you want to find is one where both your idea and the idea that you're arguing against is somewhat popular, accepted or co-existing. Or, at the very least, a place where your idea isn't outright bashed. Bluemoon specifically is actually pretty neat in that regard, I've found. We come from a larger piece of the political spectrum than what is present on most sites, which ironically makes this porn site a great place to argue your case. And, this discussion forum isn't overly dominated by one political leaning or the other, evening if I do think there's more leftists than not. Yeap, life is weird.

Next comes the 'who' and 'when'. Do not engage with someone who is engaged with a lot of people. They might get overwhelmed. Do not engage with someone if someone else has already insulted them. Their defences will already be up, and they will not be receptive to ideas anymore. (You have no idea how frustrating it is to civilly argue with someone, only for a plethora of others to come in and hurl insults to them. If I got to them first, I might be able to continue the debate in a more private space)
You do not want to argue a case against someone who has not presented that case. You might throw up a ball, argue a case you want to defend in general, but you do not single out someone who is "on the other side" and start arguing against them as if they've argued a case they haven't. Only argue with that which exists, so to speak. I hope that makes sense.

Finally, you want to argue with a 'who' who comes off as civil, at least when they're not insulted. If they have a tonne of pizaz and 'style' to their arguments, rather than a more direct and humble or "in their own court" style, you might be in for a whirlwind if you argue with them. There's some people out there who debate as a sport, some who debate to troll, and it's important to learn how to distinguish them from a more honest participant. And no, being radically opposed to your ideas does not a troll make.

Sometimes you might get a lashback on the first reply in a debate; you can choose to soldier on to round 2, turning the other cheek. A lot of people are used to being insulted and will hence often swing insults first in order to get the initiative. When you show you have no intention of insulting them, these people may calm down. If they insult you again in round 2, ignore them.

The purpose of this is very simple: Spare yourself, spare your mental energy, do not engage at all with people who you do not have a chance with. There might be some exceptions to this, like, if there's a hate brigade on someone and you want to defend that person. Just know, in this case, your goal isn't to impress or convince the trolls, it's to make the target of hate feel better about themselves. You can do nothing to convince a hate brigrade.

Final bonus point: Do not engage with someone if you do not think that you yourself could remain civil. That's just asking for trouble and a hazard to your mental health.

2: Always go for the ball, not the person
Let's say that you're debating a nazi. I know, extreme example, but it'll underline the point. What do you get if you go after the person? A sense of carthasis? Yeap. And that's literally it. You will not convince them, they will not convince you, you're just shouting at one another at this point. Which, you know, if you're in the mood to hate on someone who is that extreme, I guess go for it, but it's not a debate at that point.

Now, you might ask yourself, "why go after the ball with a literal nazi?". Well, assuming you have no chance to convince this nazi and assuming that the debate is in public, perhaps your real goal isn't to convince the nazi. Perhaps your real goal is to convince the anonymous audience not to become nazis. The best way to do this is not to hurl insults. Like it or not, it makes you look bad in the eyes of the yet-to-be-nazis. I, personally, want there to be less nazis. So if I engage a nazi in public, I'm going to be 100% polite, 100% civil and show that people who are not nazis can be pretty cool. I know this point is controversial, but if you truly want the world to be a better place, you have to consider what course of action will result in said better world.

Next comes the 'how' to go after the ball, rather than the person. Because it isn't as straightforward as it sounds. Imagine someone says something truly stupid. You call that idea stupid, then refute it. You went after the ball, right? Wrong! For who holds stupid ideas? Stupid people! You've indirectly insulted the intelligence of the person you're arguing with, and they will pick up on that. What you have to do is to present your arguments in a way that somberly dismantles the other's assumptions or points.
Let's say someone has the following point: "All black people are stupid". I could call them ignorant, or I could present them with a counter-case of a single intelligent black person. The latter will refute the point in a very technical way, but still, if they're in the argument they have to change their case. "Most black people are stupid" is what you might be met with. Then you might ask "Do you have any sources for your claims?", questioning the assumptions. They link IQ statistics. You link to some studies showing IQ isn't equal to intelligence, mention how it's causally linked to poverty rather than race, so on and so forth.
It's not pleasant, necessarily, but by going this route you will have a lot greater chance at actually changing their minds. And if not their minds, the minds of the audience.

As I said earlier, there are points where going after the person rather than the ball can be productive. It just won't change anyone's minds.

Gut feeling tells me this is the point that most will refute. Not gonna lie, kind of nervous, lol.

3: Realize the importance of feelings; do not rely solely on logic
Humans aren't logical creatures. My own perspective of why this is the case is this: Feelings is what motivates us to be logical in the first place. Without feelings, desires, yearnings, there would be no drive for a satisfying logical argument in the first case. This primal motivation can hence not be ignored; it's the core of who we are, the very foundation of why we reason and also just happens to contain a lot of mental self-defense mechanisms that are entirely valid. I mean, you do not want to change your mind quickly, although we're taught that that's a virtue. It's not uncommon that an argument sounds really good until scrutinized further, after all.

A lot of the time, logic is the foundation of the argument. Feelings is then what you have to deal with to make the logic palpable. To make it resonate properly, and if not that, at the very least make your case sympathetic. The best time to go for the feelings is probably if the logic is entirely on your side or if the debate is about to near the end. The first to better plant the seed of change, the latter to make you and your side of the argument more human to the other person (so a form of self-humanization).

I personally try to establish a common human link between me and the person I'm arguing against. I try to recognize their drive to be a good person, I try to recognize their drive to make the world a better place, even if we disagree on how to do so. Let's take the black person argument from earlier. Let's assume that I make the most awesome arguments ever. I might go with the humanization of black people as my angle. "Black people are human. With kids, lives, passions. With a partner they want to protect and feed, a job that drains their energy. And on top of all that, they have to live with a whole lot of hate. Every day. A fear of cops not treating them right, a fear that they might not be able to get a promotion to get a better roof over their head, a fear that they'll have to pretend to be white to be able to sell their house. I want you to think about what you would feel if you were them. If you were being hated for existing. I mean, I think that that would suck. A lot. I wouldn't know how to deal with half of that myself, in all honesty."

It's not an exact science, because hey, it's feelings, but it can really, really deliver a kicker along with a strong case. Now, you might get a lashback from the above. That's not too uncommon. That's because reading it might be very, very unpleasant, especially if parts of them realize they've been in the wrong the entire time. Do not lash out at this point. You've already planted the seed of change, and you'll want to water it, not kill it.

Let's assume they say something heinous in response. I might just simply go "I'm going to be honest, I don't think we can get much further with our debate. So, this will be my final post as of now. I will just leave you with this: Please, take the words I've said into consideration. May you have a good day."

Again, not exact science, I'm not an expert at it myself, but yeah. If it gets hard, just keep asking yourself this question: "What do I personally gain from insulting this person right now and here?". The answer is usually catharsis. And again, that's likely literally it. Versus potentially having there be one less racist. I mean, think about that for a second.

4: Admit your mistakes publicly and without shame. Admit your shortcomings in knowledge; humble yourself
This one is pretty simple, but really, really powerful. It serves two important purposes. Firstly, you're not stuck defending a point you can no longer defend. It's not moving the goalpost to admit you were wrong and then make a different case with your renewed knowledge. It's moving the goalpost to not admit you were wrong at all and then make that different case. Secondly, a display of humility like that will make the other person feel more calm and perhaps even encourage them to mimic the behavior. People like to think themselves as being civil, so displaying highly civil behavior instigates more civil behavior in others... Although far from all the time, as you're probably aware. If you get the "You've been wrong about X,Y,Z, so therefor, you should probably reconsider everything", give up. That person is going after you from this point onwards. And, in case you're wondering, that's a logical fallacy. It's either the ad hominem fallacy (you are stupid, therefor, I won't consider anything you say) or the fallacy fallacy (you argued poorly, therefor the thing you're arguing for is objectively false, even if someone else could argue well for it). And once that race starts going, it's a downhill slope to nope town. There are some people who react to humility like predators spotting prey.

As for admitting your shortcomings in knowledge, it's a good way to take off steam and perhaps also let the other person that you're more willing to let yourself to be educated in some field. "I'm not a psychologist, so take this with a grain of salt, but-" is a good way to say "If you link some study that disproves me, I'm willing to reconsider my stance".

5: Analyze their assumptions; ask about them. Engage in the Socratic method whenever possible
This is both a good way to debate in terms of logic AND a good way to remain civil and avoid accidentally strawmanning someone. I can't stress how important this is!

Let's talk about the Socratic method first and foremost. I'm not going to go into the actual Socratic method, because I likely don't understand how that works, so I'm instead going to talk about my interpretation of the method. It is, quite simply, a method I use to avoid arguing something that hasn't been put down on the table in writing.
To put it simply, you should never argue against something the other person hasn't explicitly said! If you think someone means some thing you want to argue against, ask them first to pry it out. When you get that answer, THEN you can argue against it. It's very tempting to hear one argument and then assume the other person shares other viewpoints that are correlated to that argument. If someone is an anti-vaxxer, you may assume they're right wing. But they might be a left-wing antivaxxer. That's the crux of the point; be careful with your assumptions. You're risking arguing against a person that isn't present, which is definitely going to be insulting and frustrating to the other side of the argument.

Analyzing their assumptions is a very useful way to move an argument forward if you're stuck. A lot of the time when I'm stuck in an argument, it's either because I lack knowledge or I have unknowingly 'accepted' one of their assumptions without questioning it. Without fully understanding what that assumption is, even.

So, let's say I'm arguing someone who is antivaxx. They might say "the government is pushing this agenda". That's not clear enough for me to argue against. There isn't really an argument there at all, it's a statement. You should pull the argument out of this statement before proceeding, or you're going to end up having to make their case for them just to make a point, which is a great waste of time and effort. Ask something along the lines of "How are they doing that?" or "What makes you say that?/Why do you believe that?" or "Why are they doing that?". The answers to these questions are more likely to pull out their underlying ideas and beliefs, and you can then argue against them instead of 'the total possible subset of ideals that could make a person say what they said'. Of course, some people REALLY don't have a lot to add to the discussion. They will answer every question with another assumption. As frustrating as this is, it's not necessarily a sign of malice. They might just not be used to argue their case. This might be one of the first times they've been questioned in a productive manner. If they get rude, of course, perhaps skip on that debate for a more productive one.

You might be wondering why this is a point in regards to how to change minds; well, that's because you can't change a mind by arguing something they don't believe in in the first place.

Well, this point came out like a mess, but I hope it made some sense either way.

6: Analyze their points, answer only the points that are relevant, sometimes even less than that
This is a point that I break myself all of the time, but it is something I've found really, really helpful when I do apply it. When someone is put on the spot and faced with really great arguments, they can feel like they're put into a corner. Even if civil, this will cause them to 'pull out all stops' (in a civil manner), which usually results in a lot of tangents that actually don't have anything to do with the point at hand. I don't think people do this to be evil, as much as they do it as a bad habit or an unconscious self defense mechanism. Actually answering all the tangents, even if done in a perfectly civil way, is going to press them against the wall even harder and perhaps fluster them. That's not a good thing. If they're flustered, you want to be more concise so that your points takes less mental stamina to go through, and, you don't want to expand the topic to the tangents. As of such, analyze what someone is saying and only respond to the parts that you find relevant.

On the other hand, if there's one line of argumentation you've lost, admit your fault and agree to what they're saying in that point before then moving on with the points still contended. This will also make the argument more palpable for yourself.

Of course, you can run the risk of cherry-picking. If someone accuses you of that, best just to explain that you thought they were tangents, apologize and state that you didn't mean to misrepresent their points, then agree to argue the extra cases. It should be noted that this strategy that I'm putting out here of ignoring points is actually extremely powerful as a cherry picking tool, so please, do not maliciously ignore good points. And, perhaps, keep an eye out of which of your points have been ignored. Whether to raise them again or not is a bit of an artform; sometimes, they're ignored because the other person is overwhelmed. Sometimes, they're ignored out of malice. It's hard to know which is which. Push comes to shove, save the ignored points for later and bring them up again if cornered. "You're right on these points, but what about these points that I mentioned earlier?". It's a good way to keep malicious actors in check as well as civilly question honest actors without adding pressure when it's not needed.

7: Be willing to let them plant a seed in your mind, just as you expect them to let you plant a seed in theirs
I don't think you should expect yourself or others to change their mind in a given debate. The mind needs time to mull things over, make sure it hasn't been duped, consult with friends, etc. Instead, I think of the result of debates as seeds. Most times, I learn something completely tangential to the debate at hand; that's one kind of seed. Sometimes, I'm proven wrong, and that's a seed for me to consider and mull over in my head. Sometimes, I prove others wrong, and when that happens, I can only hope they mull that seed over in their minds. Sometimes, the argument ends in a well fought stalemate. In this case, there's something for both to mull over. Allow yourself to learn at your pace, do not feel anxious about changing your mind too quickly or too slowly, allow yourself to be biased even. It's your mind, your life, you need to feel comfortable with what you believe in in the long run. Sometimes, you have to accept that you believe something without any rhyme or reason to it. Perhaps that's something you should mull over, but do not feel rushed in this process. Rushing it leads to anxiety, anxiety leads to hostility, and hostility leads to less productive debates.

I'm not sure if any of that made sense, but yeah.

Bonus point: Ending debates
I like to 'end my debates', so to speak, especially if it's a longer one. If it's been productive, I end it in a nice way. If it's been unproductive, I try to end it in as short as possible yet still (hopefully) civil way. "I don't think we're going to get any further with this argument. This is going to be my last post on the matter. May you have a good day". This ending of debates gives me some breathing space and really help my mental health. I can definitely recommend it!

In general, be careful with your mental health. Debates can be REALLY draining.

So yeah, I hope this is helpful to someone! And there's probably more points to be made, but these were the ones I made, I guess.

i'm not going to put too much out there, since we live in a world of internet memes anyway, and quite a few people have already talked their talk here anyway.
i think a debate can be a productive thing depending on the person. i think debating in itself is an exercise that most people get tired of too quickly if they aren't met with their own echo chambers. i also think that there are a lot of people who get into debates that probably shouldn't, because they aren't objective, and they only wan to push their viewpoint on other people without being a productive participant to them in turn.

Debates are an extremely important and necessary part of humanity and being human.

Debates (and arguments, which I will use interchangeably for this discussion due to possible pedanticism, although not entirely the same thing) allow one's mind to be subjected to other facts, opinions, ideas etc which they would never otherwise have been exposed to. Without debates, everyone has a limited open mind, which isn't far from being a closed mind.

The reason anything exists today, beyond what the first humans were here with, is because of the sharing of ideas and those ideas being challenged and broken down until only the working, logical, feasible ideas remain. The reason we are able to talk on what people only decades ago would have called magic, which is the internet, is because of people bringing forward such ideas and sharing them with the world. Without going off-topic, this is one reason open source hardware and software are important; anyone can submit code to add their ideas to the project, allowing everyone to take advantage of it and modify it to suit their needs. Open source information is important for the continuation of the knowledge of humanity.

Debates are one of the most effective ways of sharing information, even if it is an opinion-only debate. They are what make us human and how society has gotten this far. Having disagreements is important, because it allows the breaking down of what will and will not work, and allows decentralised sources of information, regardless of race, age, gender, religion, profession etc.

I think all the big stuff is pretty much said, so I'll just give my short thought on debate.

It's useful if done in a useful way. A tool that can be very helpful or abused to make things worse. If you're not a professional with it, most likely your results will not be optimal. As for making it optimal, the other replies give that quite a lot of detail.

If the person listening is objective and open minded then it can be. Most people watching debates just do so to confirm their perspective

I find a good debate to be quite useful, however good debates are extremely rare. I feel a true debate is impossible to lose. Either I am right and you are wrong (I get to educate someone), you are right and I am wrong (I get educated) or we are both partly right and we both learn something from the debate.....win win as I see it. Unfortunately too many people attach their ego to a debate, and it degrades into name calling and straw man arguments. Most debates on hot button issues I find run into three problems;

1: My opponent keeps interrupting me so I cant make my point

2: I have to spend most of my time saying "That is clearly not what I am saying, you are putting words in my mouth"

3: I have to repeatedly ask the same question because the person dodges and deflects

I don't get why people do this. I don't consider it losing if someone makes a point that makes me reconsider my opinion but 99.99% of all people I debate with do feel that way

A lot of difference 6-7 months will make. Answering my own questions with my changed point of view.
In your opinion, is public debate valuable?

What is the purpose of two people debating in this manner?

Do you feel like it reasonably achieves that purpose?

What value do you personally get from watching/participating in these kinds of organized debates?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Valuable for changing minds? No. Everyone involved, including the audience watching, has an emotional investment in their own opinions and perspective. Whichever debater lines up with your own views the most will be a stand-in or avatar for that audience member's participation in the debate. So, if the debater they disagree with attacks the points made by the debater that they align themselves with, it is viewed from the perspective of the audience member's own personal views being challenged. Those same emotional defenses go up. Yet without the benefit of them having to think up a coherent response themselves, because the debater that represents their viewpoint will come up with something to fire back with. It's a very passive way to engage with topics. Even if an audience member starts out on neutral ground without a personal opinion on the topic/not enough knowledge about it, they'll make emotional attachments based on biases to the debater they personally "like" the best. If the debator is hotter than the other; if the debator seems to use more casual language that is relatable; if the debater uses more sophisticated language(whether they're actually making coherent points or not); whether a debater is older and seems wiser, fitting a more authoritative archetype; whether a debater has a deep voice, seems aggressive or angry, they might look like a "bully" regardless of whether their logic is sound or they're making good points. Etc.

Dick measuring/popularity contest. Hopefully the debate if it is publicized will have a fund-raiser and charity attached for a good cause. Forum debating is fairly pointless.

Do I feel it achieves the goal of posturing? No. Because just like with publicized debates with auditorium audiences, forum readers will react in much the same way as any debate audience. So those who are reading, watching, or even joining in on a forum debate will only agree that your dick is bigger than the other guy's if they already hold the same opinions you do. Or if they personally like you.

Confirmation bias. If my mind is open to accepting a differing point of view, I do research. An unglamorous, quiet, and occasionally challenging activity, where I seek to understand the truth about something. Learning in this way, changing my mind like this gets past the emotional defenses. There is no audience to measure my dick against someone else, no outside pressure to defend my position or justify myself. Nobody knows how I have humbled myself, corrected my thinking, or changed my mind. It's very very often a painless epiphany of "ohhhh! That how it works! I thought it were other way before! But now I understand the science/philosophy/mechanism better!" where I don't really have to feel shame about having been wrong before. Because it's just me, in my head, reading a research paper, learning a new thing.

Very rarely does engaging in forum debate actually lead me to honest research as I look for cherry picked sources that fit my narrative(aka, magnifiers to ensure that my dick looks bigger than the other guy's). I have personally found that watching publicized debates only leads me to thoughtlessly ingesting talking points, without examination or proper vetting, so I have something convenient to parrot the next time anyone confronts me with those opposing viewpoints.

Entirely depends on the forum/moderator involved.

A properly formatted debate? Absolutely useful. One might even say that's one of the core founding principles of modern democracies. America at its inception, certainly, was very much rooted in the John Milton school of anti-censorship.

One might simply look to the Federalist papers for how useful that particular form of intellectual discourse is.

Modern debates, especially political or religious? Bore me half to tears. Agree with virtually everything you said about shallow talking points with little reliance on research.

Colleagial debates are actually conducted at a much higher level than most 'televised' debates. Sad, but true. Hell, even high school debates might be more well-supported by research.

I'll admit I watch presidential debates here and there, and while it's a useful way to glean certain candidates' position on certain issues, there's never true acknowledgement of strengths and weaknesses in particular postions. No evaluations of pros and cons. Gotta be all good or all bad. Very style over substance nowadays. But that's what the audience want, so what can they do about it lol.

Lack of critical analysis is not the debators' fault. That's an audience issue, in my view.

It takes time, motivation and openness on both sides for a debate to bear fruits. Nowadays online is rarely the right place.

Debates are pointless as a debate is a contest, both sides wanting to win the argument. Debates aren’t about trying to achieve mutual understanding or anything of the like.

Online debates are even more pointless as you don’t even know if the person is sincere or just trolling by posting the most ridiculous and extreme arguments around.

Not to mention if the forum/staff are biased towards one side of politics than someone arguing from the other end is going to get slammed and warned and probably banned simply for trying to engage in said debate.

This used to happen frequently on a now defunct RP site called Guilty Pleasures RP.

So in short, yes debates are pointless.

PS my fave pointless debate tactic is when someone posts proof/references and the other side just keeps sweeping them aside demanding further proof.

The proof will never be enough because the person is a troll or zealot.

Congratulations on leaving the far-right behind you man, that's unironically an achievement to be proud of!

Debates are useful, but you gotta be mindful of what they are good at - and what they aren't.

The most obvious disadvantage is that charisma plays a role. Unlike scientific literature it's not just about your facts, it's also about rhetorical skills. A person that is perceived as a debate's winner doesn't necessarily have the better opinion.
The advantage follows - it's entertaining and engaging which means, unlike dry scientific papers average people can take part without feeling left behind.

Debates aren't the best tool to find truth - but they are great tools to politically educate and especially to pull people out of echo chambers. This is especially common in far-right circles. If you don't have any intersections with other opinions you won't question even the stupidest opinions your group holds. Debates plant this seed of doubt - and that is ALWAYS valuable. Even if afterwards you still see the opinion you help before as correct you are now made aware of counter-arguments that you may or may not were able to disprove. Either way, your opinion grows and is better founded in reality now.

Of course, this implies somewhat good-faith actors. If you are just throwing insults at each other it' snot helping anyone, but personally I wouldn't define that as 'debating' to begin with'.
The other problem is that many topics are impossible to argue against - not because they are objective truths, but because your opponent simply decided they are axiomatic truths to them. Religion is a good example here. A fanatic believer won't care about your rational arguments - it's a position that is impossible to argue against because it is not founded in rationality to begin with. Conspiracy theorists are another similar group. If your opinions are founded on a distrust of 'big science' or 'the media' - then you can handily dismiss anything that would otherwise disproof or weakens your position ("FAKE NEWS!1").

Especially in these cases it's important to keep in mind that you truly are talking to the audience, not your opponent. You will rarely actually convince a person prepared to publicly defend their position - but you can make them look rightfully stupid. You don't have to be mean about it - but in a utilitarian sense it's an objective good if you make this let's say antivax q-anon conspiracy theorist look as deranged and stupid as possible because it will help less deranged members of their fanbase see the truth.

So yes, getting in contact with other opinions is always a net-positive. I tend to drop out when things develop into just throwing shit at each other - but some people enjoy that kind of drama as well.

Depends on the context, which can range from a courtroom to the internet. Internet debates are almost entirely useless, as no one ever admits being wrong and the only point is to make the other side look dumb to whoever is reading. Most people debate feelings rather than facts and almost no one has a competent grasp of the issues. Everyone has an Internet Degree in infectious disease control, or constitutional law, or history, or conspiracy or, or, or, meaning no one has. I can tell within a post or two whether someone is up to speed on a topic and is worth responding to. I'm not going to debate an engineer on structural design because that's not my expertise and it's not worth learning the field, and I'm not going to debate gun control unless the other sides knows constitutional law backwards and forwards (and I don't mean your personal version).

That said, an effective debater's goal is to win, not be a gentleman. So read up on all formal and informal flaws of logic, learn how to identify them and most important, learn how to use them against the opponent. Use ad hominems to the maximum extent permitted.

Back
Top Bottom