Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Question Exceedingly slow page loading?

Stephanie Harrison

Rebel Daughter
Currently Somewhere In Northern California.
I've noted the last couple days that pages are loading excruciatingly and painfully show on the site. I get the 'page unresponsive' warning about half the clicks I do, and the ones I don't get that were likely about to trigger that warning. I checked several other sites and pages and all are loading quite normal/fast. I've also done all the usual stuff on my end like clearing the cache and such, but the problem persists. Is there some background sub-routine trying to run here or is the server really loaded down? This site used to load quite fast for me.

If you tell me when exactly this is occurring I can attempt to investigate. On the server end, it hasn't served a response in longer than four seconds since August, and that happens perhaps once per month.

One thing that can happen is if you are part of a route that is getting filtered due to an ongoing DDOS.

In any case, the best thing to do in these situations is hit me up on Discord (Vekseid#2465) when this is occurring, and I can evaluate if something is going on and how localized it is, and can push it up directly if needed.

I don't have discord, sorry. I tend to jump on here at erratic times. Right now it is a bit faster than when I posted this thread, but not much. It seems to be the same whether I'm on my laptop or ipad, and is localized to this site as I'm on other sites on other tabs and they are working fine. Thanks for your attempt to look into it.

I don't have discord, sorry. I tend to jump on here at erratic times. Right now it is a bit faster than when I posted this thread, but not much. It seems to be the same whether I'm on my laptop or ipad, and is localized to this site as I'm on other sites on other tabs and they are working fine. Thanks for your attempt to look into it.

Alright I found and resolved one potential issue. Is this still occurring?

I'm getting intermittent lag spikes when I try to load the forum or make posts, and sometimes the lag spikes cause me to double post.

I don't think it's my browser, I've had issues loading things on my phone too.

Alright I found and resolved one potential issue. Is this still occurring?
It's a little better. Still slow, but not to the point I get the 'page unresponsive' pop up on my computer anymore. I will also note that when things crawl, my laptop fan kicks up a lot. my security software hasn't flagged a problem, but it does make me wary of the site.

Edit: The forums are a little faster. Opening PMs still takes a lot of time and I still get the 'Page Unresponsive' popup after a while.

It's a little better. Still slow, but not to the point I get the 'page unresponsive' pop up on my computer anymore. I will also note that when things crawl, my laptop fan kicks up a lot. my security software hasn't flagged a problem, but it does make me wary of the site.

Edit: The forums are a little faster. Opening PMs still takes a lot of time and I still get the 'Page Unresponsive' popup after a while.
Hrm. Do you have the chat active on every page? If so does it help to disable it?

Click on the little lock icon next to the url and view the site's certificate chain. Who is the root and who is the issuer?

@Sync for some reason Chrome is archiving the older cert even though it does check for the newer one. If you shift+reload it should clear that and load the newer cert.

@Sync for some reason Chrome is archiving the older cert even though it does check for the newer one. If you shift+reload it should clear that and load the newer cert.
It's actually Edge, but same background technology. It wasn't bothering me, just thought I'd chime in. All good! :)

Hrm. Do you have the chat active on every page? If so does it help to disable it?

Click on the little lock icon next to the url and view the site's certificate chain. Who is the root and who is the issuer?
I disabled chat so I'll see how it goes now

Also, I checked the certification on my Google Chrome (and Edge) and got the same pic layout Sync got with the exception the certificate is 'Valid' and the date range is 01/09/2021 to 30/11/2021 and has the same path without the red 'x'.

Edit: accessing PMs is still painfully slow with chat disabled. Still get the 'page unresponsive' pop-up every click. It will eventually load, but the time usage issue makes it unusable.

Last edited:
I've also run into this issue and have disabled the chat. It happens occasionally. Now for instance it isn't an issue.

Oh, and it it helps, I'm on mobile via Firefox.

I'm getting intermittent lagspikes too. Tried to send a PM and it sent 3 times.

I hear sometimes it could be because the ISP changed the routing. Alternatively is the server more active lately?

Where's the server located? If it's a routing issue I could try using a VPN to connect to a nearby server so that the routing works better.

I'm getting intermittent lagspikes too. Tried to send a PM and it sent 3 times.

I hear sometimes it could be because the ISP changed the routing. Alternatively is the server more active lately?

Where's the server located? If it's a routing issue I could try using a VPN to connect to a nearby server so that the routing works better.

The server is physically in Chicago.

Routing errors can happen to anyone between anywhere but should usually go away in an hour or so and not be back for a very extended period.

I did have an issue that seems to have been resolved with last night's reboot, but if @Countess and @Stephanie Hall are still having issues I may need to try something more drastic. The only thing I can think of now would be the server's network card.

Fortunately it comes with two, but still.

I'm only aware of this because another RP forum recently figured out how they drove off all their users. I don't know if you use the Discouraged List function on Xenforo, but apparently it can grow out of control and end up casting blankets over unintended groups of users. It appears as horrible loading lag.

I had a lot of multiple-post problems when I first joined here. I lived in China and had a shitty vpn. I'd submit the post, then it would appear not to load, then I'd reload the page and there were multiples of my post. I don't know if either of these things help, but there y'go.

I'm experiencing this, too. Sometimes everything is fine, and then a page suddenly needs ages to load.
The certificate chain shows the same as Sync's.
Shift+Reload works for a short time, but when I click on the same page again later, the problem is back.
Only happens on my Computer so far. On the mobile everything works fine for me.

Very strange - I'm the same as Noni.
I did do a Shift-Reload of the site, and the certificate showed as valid.
Now, 3 days later, the certificate is again showing as expired or invalid.

I suspect it's either my server's NIC or my host's router.

Sometimes the webserver doesn't see the request (but oddly, will often see adjacent requests like for favicon). Sometimes it does see it, and generates the page in a timely fashion, but the response doesn't get sent.

There's no indication that anything on my system is under meaningful load. We're handling about ~6k connections at peak, which is half a percent of what the server could handle (at least networking wise).

I'll need to bug my host about this. Bear with me everyone.

I haven't noticed any significant lag on the site recently. I generally don't, though; only occasionally do I get a slight delay in page loads.

I've just done a SHIFT-Refresh of the site to update the certificate; I'll check it again in a few days and let you know how that goes.

Are you still experiencing this? Two routers of a major connectivity provider were misbehaving and have since improved.
I've been browsing through the threads for the past few hours, but no lacking.
Looks good so far. :)

The certificate info still hasn't changed though ... it still says:
Connection is valid -> Certificate is valid -> This certificate has either expired or is not yet valid.

I haven't noticed any issues, so things seem to be back to normal. I'll bring it up if I get more lag spikes but it seems fine now.

Just checked the site certificate after my regular overnight shutdown and restart:

Again showing This certificate has expired or is not yet valid, where it was valid after my refresh last night.

Back
Top Bottom