Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

It is Difficult Finding the Right Partner.

Aatgarus

Planetoid
TL;DR: It's hard finding the right partner. When you do though, it is great! I met my best RP partner TWO YEARS and a day ago, and we are now great friends still roleplaying together.

---

I have had a few RPs in my experience on this site, as many of you have. Most RPs, aside from one-shot scenes, have ended without resolution. They were left hanging for a number of reasons, but the common theme seemed to be a lack of interest from both parties. I came to accept that the nature of this past time will always be as such. We enjoy playing out a scene for awhile and when the excitement is gone, we go our separate ways. But what we enjoyed in those moments will stay with us. Despite that, I still kept looking for more partners, hoping to find more fun experiences. RPing is one of my favorite hobbies, so of course I wouldn't let it go unless I had no time for it. Still, I wanted to find that one partner. That one partner who could inspire me just as much as I try to inspire them.

Well, that day came two years ago (9/10/2019; I'm a day late.), when I found the perfect partner for me. At the time, I had just come back from hiatus for one reason or another and was looking for a nice fantasy play to jump into. My partner had a request thread looking for mainly plot-focused RPs, with little to practically no focus on smut. I was kind of looking for such at the time, so I shot her my idea to see if she was interested. In case she wasn't, I offered alternatives to how she could form her character around my pitch. She agreed and we planned out the RP within that day. Since it was nearing the end of my RP hours at that time, I told her I would put up the opening post the next day. She had not tuned me out yet, so I considered myself lucky. I did not know how lucky at the time though!

Next day, I dropped the introduction post to our RP and our adventure commenced. We continued playing out this story for a month or two, before hard times fell upon me. I was glad she was still playing along fine, but my replies became harder and harder to write during that period of time. I began posting every other day. Then every two days. Then every five. Before it got any worse, I told her I needed to take a break, as I felt it was not fair of me to hold her to this RP if I could not post frequently for her. She told me before that she would lose interest in an RP if she didn't receive replies within one or two days. I don't blame her for that, so to be respectful I wanted to end things on a good note. Before I took my hiatus, she did asked me if I was ever going to come back. I just left it there at that time, as my real life during that period made it too difficult for me to focus on any of my hobbies. My break from roleplaying hit then. It felt like a very long time, but was not as long as I remembered.

Fast forward two months later, I was able to get things sorted out on my end and came back to roleplaying. Since I did leave her hanging, I decided to message her again and see if she was still interested. A lot of time passed since we played together, so I wasn't sure if she wanted to continue the RP we had going, start something new, or was not interested in playing with me altogether. I was very surprised that she was still interested in starting up our RP again, so we wasted no time in jumping back into it. We picked it up again without delay, making it feel like we never paused the story in the first place. Our characters reunited as consistently as the day they first embarked on their journey together.

The roleplay quickly became the best I ever did on this site. Not because of the idea itself, but because of how much my partner inspired my creativity. Together, we were able to craft a great story with great characters and many memorable moments. With her, I found the inspiration I had been searching for in RPs, reminding me why I loved doing it so much in the first place. It was a way for me to get lost in another world and explore it with another person through the lens of heroes/heroines who are (sometimes) larger than life. We roleplayed together consistently since I returned from my hiatus and went from being simply roleplaying partners looking for a good story, to friends. To this day, we are still roleplaying together and doing other activities with each other when we are able to. We branched out into our own Discord server for another roleplay for awhile, all while talking about our day, our interests, and of course, our characters and where we want to take them next.

The roleplay we first started two years ago is currently on a small break. After she entertained me with another roleplay, I felt it was time for me to indulge in an idea she wanted. After scouring through her request thread again, an idea came to mind with one of her requests. We threw ideas around with each other and eventually ended up creating our own world with its own lore, something I never knew I would ever do with a partner. It was something I always wanted to do, since I love building a living, breathing world, where the characters feel like they're apart of something larger than themselves. I never had the chance to do so, since most roleplays I engaged in would only last a month if I'm lucky, before ending up forgotten. Thanks to my partner, we were able to create something amazing for both of us to enjoy.

Finding the right partner is difficult. It truly is. It requires finding someone who fulfills what we want in a RP, as well as for us to be able to fulfill what our partner wants. When we are able to though, the possibilities are endless and writing a reply never feels like a chore. It becomes something we look forward to. There is no feeling better than that when it comes to roleplaying, in my honest opinion!

Thank you for reading this commemoration of a milestone in my BMR experience! Now, time to open the floor to all of you. How long have you all been roleplaying with your favorite partner(s) for? And are you still continuing a RP that you started out with? Have you started any new ones that captured your heart since finding that partner? Or, are you still seeking that best partner? Sound off!

Last edited:
As someone who has been active all over the internet when it comes to RP, I have met a handful of special partners. I was even lucky enough to have a group of friends interested in the same RP and characters for years, and that was pretty special.

I wish I could say I'm still active with my long-term partners, but I'm not much anymore other than some small talk. Life gets busy, they lose muse, they focus on another hobby more, and etc. All I can do is grit my teeth and smile about it. It's the flow of life; people come and go.

I get it, but I'm unhappy about it. I do miss them. Long term partners often become friends, but I can't force the creativity and effort that goes into writing.

To summarize, I would say that throughout RPing, I had periods that were either bright with good partner(s), or the hobby has me battling through the dark to find even one person I resonate enough with. RP can be one unstable hobby lol.

I'm happy for you that you've managed to find someone as special as that! That's honestly amazing to me. Unfortunately, the few who I REALLY meshed with and who really understood what I desired in an RP tend to fade or disappear, which is understandable, life happens or they simply lose interest. Here's to hoping I meet a special RP partner like that too!

RP'ing is something that comes in waves for a lot of people, it's just about meeting that one person who is on the same wavelength as you and will come back to start a new RP. :)

Difficult beyond belief to find the person that clicks most of your wants and desires if not all of them, and especially if they're down to try new things and explore new stories even if they're nervous about it. Only found that kind of person twice over ten years of doing this, but I'm always looking for more. These partners of mine are hard acts to follow but I wouldn't trade their time for anything!

I don't know that you'll ever find the "right" partner. But finding a partner that ticks your boxes is never an easy task, and often takes ages to achieve (if you ever manage it).

That said, shout-out to @AndNich123 for being such a person for me. Andi and I click on many levels, we get each other's RL circumstances, chat well in OOC, and write well together in IC. Can't ask for more than that. :)

Finding the right partner is always satisfying but one thing that gets left out is that it's not always about clicking in general, it's also about clicking for that one specific story. I've had a few cases where perhaps the person I'm playing with might have been suited for something else. Is it just a quick 'n dirty story or is it something where I'm trying to tell a story? I've had a few partners that can do both of those but it's quite rare. It's also never quick because I often vanish from time to time and having people that can handle that is a miracle in my eyes. Still, finding the person that interests me and comes to me in the right way is often the best feeling in the world. I hope people find more of them.

It is tough. There are those I keep hoping will return, but some whom I treasure.
And once you find it, that perfect game, the person ghosts ;)

You're an incredible partner and thanks for being so constant, Rose!

When you find the right partners it's incredible, I've been roleplaying with one for over 8 years now!

I'm in kind of a good place right now, and I see it like this:

Yes, the perfect partner is hard to find. But you wanna know something? I treasure them while I have them, and look back fondly even on things that died. Because I remember how much fun I had at the time.

Do I get sad that it didn't continue? Absolutely.
Sometimes, I get a little mad, a little hurt, but I've started to change my thinking on this.

It is hard to find the right partner. Good writers are one thing that I am so thankful that BMR has an abundance of, but the right partner is a whole other story. The right partner will understand when replies take longer than usual. The right partner is someone that you click with. They don't see your OOC messgaes as pestering. They see it as your way of showing you are still interested. Partners aren't just partners or robots that can write replies at will. They are people. They become your friend. The right partner will see all of that. So is it worth trying to fund the right partner? You bet it is. @Sync is one of those partners.

Trust me. You will miss the right partner when they're gone as well.

I've had a few really good partners on here over the years, some of whom have kept me coming back, but once you're counting your time on the site in years then it becomes harder and harder to keep real life from interfering I find.

So I tend to take quite a relaxed attitude when it comes to really connecting with another partner. If it happens, its great. If it ends, I tell myself I don't know what might be coming out of the next PM I get!

One of the things I think isn't discussed enough here is that your idea of a perfect partner probably changes over time as your tastes and styles as a writer change. Some of the partners I've formed the deepest connections with would not look like a match if you compared our profiles or request threads, for instance!

I have absolutely no objection to being funded as a partner. Just let me know when you're ready to start sending the payments through. ;)

Wait, wait, WAIT?!?!

Is someone getting paid for this!? :LOL:

I'd rather pay to have someone narrate with a sexy voice.

*Husky, rich, English voice*

Fandomizer pushed back her keyboard, blowing out those soft cheeks with an exasperated sigh that spoke of a woman with needs that society just wouldn't fill. She wondered, idly, what it would be like to have a disembodied voice narrate her sexual needs and fantasies, to linger over every written word or moment of tension, stretching out those syllables until they reverberated around her in ways that moved her to the core...

How's that for an audition? ;p

I used to find it easy and then as of a few years back everything seemed to dry up. Whether my ideas aren't in fashion anymore or I am not gelling too well with the new gen of RP'ers. I am not sure. But it is great when you find the right person and everything clicks.

My longest writing partnership was about 4 years. We did many RP's many got finished, some didn't work well and we mutually dropped them. Some were longer stories, others more like One shots. They weren't actually the greatest writer but we had good chemistry and it worked. Then she just dropped out, I did prompt her a few times and she came back once but then dropped out out again. I think she just grew out of it maybe and didn't want to tell me, I also know she had some mental health issues and family problems so maybe it all got too much.

Back
Top Bottom