Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What were you doing 20 years ago today?

I was little when it happened and in English class. The school didn't know how to tell us what had happened, but yet was telling us to pray. It was so cryptic that my classmates and I thought the school was being attacked. I didn't have any context until I came home from school. I didn't understand the gravity of it all, but I remember how heavy everyone was.

Last edited:
I lived in Arizona at the time, so the attack happened relatively early for us. Mom decided we shouldn't go to school that day and I think we were just glued to the news all day that day. It was a surreal time.

I was a kindergarten student at the time. I had no idea what was happening until I got home, though my sister informed me that multiple teachers left their classes for some time to watch the news.

I was in college. My mom called and woke me up to tell me about the attacks. I was living in a dorm, and my roommate and I hadnโ€™t yet hooked up our tv, so I wandered down to the lobby to watch the news with a bunch of other bewildered students. There must have been 50 or 60 of us, mostly somber and quiet, sometimes wondering aloud if we should head home to be with family. Classes were cancelled.

Sometime in the late afternoon a few of us went to get food, and I remember that the morning show DJs were still on the radio many hours after their show shouldโ€™ve ended, and they were just talking about the attacks. No music. Everyone was in complete disbelief.

It was just after dinner time for me when the reports started coming in. The wife and I were watching the TV news feeds, trying to work out just what it was we were seeing.

I remember waking up to the sound of the alarm (I am not in the USA) and people on the radio were talking about these planes and how terrible it was etc. I had no idea what they were talking about, I think it may have happened overnight my time actually but I was between shifts and asleep. Anyway, I went to the TV and saw the footage and knew that everything was going to change.

Back
Top Bottom