To a troubled town, cursed with darkness therein, comes a famous mercenary lark from Hamelin (Pazzo-VikingWitch)

Pazzo

Put me on your face. It will be fun.
Supporter
This is a tale of adventure, with a hero from times past.
He's been many things, and changes appearances quite fast,
A man with an enchanted pipe, and knowledge so vast,
One might think, everyone's troubles wouldn't last.
His is however of the hungry sort,
and enjoys his wine, both merlot and port.
And fancies pied clothing, when being taken at court.
So sit back, and enjoy this humble story,
Of the mercenary piper, and his latest job that takes him to further glory.

The sun was low in the western sky, casting its orange glow across the otherwise depressing, low hanging overcast clouds. The town of Harl-lay appeared to be deserted, what with its gray cobbled streets. People rushed into their homes, gathering their children and their pets, slamming the doors shut behind them, and bolting the portals quickly. Windows were slammed closed as the shadows lengthened, and light fled the land.

This had become standard practice with the people or Har-Lay, as everyone knew that in their homes they were safe from the curse that had struck them. But should one be caught on the streets after dark, they would fall prey to the horrible monsters that lived in the shadows, and the night. They could only enter homes if they had been so invited, but no one in their right mind ever would. They were grotesque little beings, with no two having the same color skin, or the same features.

With the last of the people safely in their homes, The streets were quiet. Within the shadows that could be seen, little monsters clambered out of the darkness, dancing wildly, growling and muttering, eager to begin their night of mischief and frolic.

One of these creatures appeared to be a balding man's head, with a horn atop its forehead. Where his neck and body should be, there were only legs. It chittered something unintelligible, as it spied a lone traveler, wrapped in a heavy green and black cloak, made his way into the town. The sun was almost completely down now, as a horde of horrible, ugly little creatures appeared, creating such a horrible din of noise, one might think they walked the very land of nightmares, or even hell itself.

A fat, hairless dog like creature with bluish skin growled at the traveler, as others came up behind it, chanting and moaning. The traveler stopped, and let his cloak hang free, opening to reveal his many colored clothing, well worn but finely made, as if he were a royal entertainer. In his left hand, he held what looked like a well made set of Romanian pipes, slightly scratched and dented in places from age.

He looked to the creatures, and frowned, tossing his long black hair, and stroking his thin goatee. "Oh no no, this won't do you lot. You cannot hum and sing well with a nose full of snot." He muttered, as he brought his pipes to his lips. He blew a single note, low and ethereal, that permeated the very reality around him. The creatures screamed and panicked, scrabbling the get at least ten feet away from him as he walked, continuing towards the town hall.

The throng of little monsters parted for him unwillingly, filling in behind him, uttering curses and all manner of obscenities. Upon reaching the town hall, he stopped, and brought his arm out in a sweeping motion, making the creatures scatter away from the door. They stood there, muttering and slavering, watching the traveler, wanting nothing more than to pick his bones clean with their needle like teeth.

The piper rapped upon the door thrice, waiting patiently, as he eyed the crowd of miscreants warily. "Might this be the town of Har-Ley?" He murmured to the door over his shoulders. "I'm here about the offered reward, to make these things go away."

Harl-Ley was a developing city, anyone could tell. It still had the trappings of the small village that it used to be, but as the buildings grew and the cobblestone streets were replaced with brick, it was evident to anyone who lived since the city’s founding that things were changing. The old village now turned into the town center and ramshackle huts and houses were built out along the edges. The city welcomed in so much darkness and the shadows stretch far. These shadows welcomed in dark creatures as well, shadow gremlins of every shape and size. No one knew exactly when they started to show up but after an attempted kidnapping from a noble house, things changed rather quickly.

Doors and windows were shut tight as soon as the sun went down. No one dared wander the streets even if it was sunset and they didn’t dare open their doors to any poor soul that was left outside. Even the buildings that already were squished together like mismatched bricks seemed to sink further into themselves as the light dwindled from their faces. Lights were snuffed and everyone huddled in their bedrooms or some in their cellars and waited for the pests to be off and away from their homes.

The mayor had put up a reward for anyone willing to get rid of their problem, but no one came forward. Not for weeks, they were such fearsome-looking beasts. Until the mysterious stranger wandered through town. A few people heard the strange tune, but dared not look out their windows to confirm that someone was playing music outside! It was absurd, they were imagining things until someone knocked on a citizen’s door. “Jigger off!” they called back to the man. “That you’ve found yourself outside in this city is quite unfortunate, sir!”

They paused though when they heard that they were there for the reward. “You’ll want the mayor’s house!” they said. “Down the way, toward the center, and good luck to you sir, they get quite bad towards the center of town.”

They didn’t open the door or even open the slats to see who it was. The man would have to continue on.

Meanwhile, a young woman dared to have a light on and dared to look out at the streets. She had been trying her magic for a few days and her talents were quite impressive. It seemed like her voice had a soothing effect on the creatures, her voice had a soothing effect on almost everyone. That she was trying it on such creatures though, seemed to invite misfortune. She only tried it on the less frightening ones that got close enough and tonight was no different. She opened her window as she plaited a love knot in her long golden hair.

“There’s a spark inside us,
that we can all ignite
and all that’s dark inside us
will flicker into light.”

The Piper grumbled as the voice within the dwelling took a gruff tone with him, brushing him off, but otherwise directing him to where he needed to go. He just shrugged, and tipped his green conical hat towards the door in a mockery of gratitude, and continued to walk towards the center of the town, with his cloak and multicolored clothing swaying this way and that.

He walked casually, avoiding the darker shadows as the little gremlin like creature eyed him warily, some ever so brave as to snap at his heels with his back turned, only to shy away

If it was one thing the piper knew well, it was how to use music to influence and soothe, or agitate, and incite. This other female artist however, was quite gifted in the realm of song. But the way she was able to calm these foul creatures of the darkness, was uncanny. It was as if she was connected to them somehow, almost as if they were kin, or family. The piper grit his teeth, as his insight and intuition were usually accurate. He padded his way to the house in the center, where this young girl sang.

The closer the piper came to her, and the louder her song grew in his ear, the more enchanted he became. He was still fully aware of the world around him, but her music just had this unearthly, hauntingly beautiful quality to it. He could feel the enchantment being woven, as he had wove the very same magic himself several times before, channeling the power through the notes played on his flute.

This woman was doing the same thing, but through the power of her voice. "Interesting ." The piper murmured to himself, as he approached. Having arrived, he rapped on the door smartly, as he watched the lovely girl braid her hair, as she stood in her window. The dark creatures paid him no heed, fully entranced by her music .

“There’s a power in every breath.
There’s a power in every note.
A power that starts within the heart,
a power that rises through the throat.”

The woman was Sereia Rivershard, the daughter of the mayor of Harl-Ley. Though she was of marrying age, no man had really caught her eye and her father did not force her to choose someone. She had plenty of suitors as well, for she was beautiful and her voice was enchanting and she was from a well-off family, there was nothing stopping her from choosing someone at her whim. Still she couldn’t find someone that caught her eye. She was too absorbed in her song and the little creatures in front of her. Some day she would be bold enough to go down and walk among them, maybe befriend them. They weren’t so bad after all.

“And when it sails up through the air
more beautiful than any-!”

She stopped when she heard someone knock on the front door and she quickly closed her window in embarrassment. The creatures shook themselves out of their stupor and scattered away from the light. “Who could that be at this hour?” a gruff voice said.

They went through the same routine as the last door, wouldn’t open up to see who it was at all. “Whoever you are, you are quite an unfortunate soul to be caught out there this time of night,” he said. “What on earth could you possibly want at my door tonight?!”

The piper kept his back to the door, eyeing the shadowy little goblin like creatures in the silvery moonlight, his eyelids narrowing as they too, kept their distance. He could almost feel it, not so much of a fear that kept them at bay, but a sort of healthy respect that made them keep their distance. They sputtered and groaned, but did not approach.

Much to his dismay, the beautiful voice ceased its heavenly tones, and he heard the shutters high above close and latch. His teeth clenched, as he watched the creatures, expecting them to make a mad, furious rush at him. But they stayed, and the angry charge never happened. A few moments alter, he heard some rustling behind the door, and then the voice, asking him of what he wanted.

"I am but humble traveler my lord, seeking refuge from the harsh, bitter cold that comes with the darkness. Yet, the shadows here are fraught with tiny little horrors, that seem to flee from the sight of the silver moonlight." He mused. The piper's true reasons for the visit, he kept secret. He knew not what level of intelligence the little beasts possessed, but he felt it best to speak of their extermination in private. "I spied an advertisement good lord, seeking to fulfill a request, but if you would be so kind, as to invite me inside for a bit of rest? I would gladly tell you the nature of my visit to quell your fears, but would prefer to talk as such, away from prying little ears."

The piper of course watched the horde, and waited, their demeanor, while still hostile, did not intensify or lessen as he spoke. He found their behavior odd,and would seek to gather information about their appearance, and behaviors before offering any sort of remedy.

Assorted grumbling and grunting ensued as the sound of many locks clicking and sliding away from the door. He opened it as little as possible to let the stranger squeeze through the doorway before he quickly returned to locking and bolting everything on the door again. The mayor was a healthy man, it would be the only description to give him. He had a full head of thick black hair, his form was rather stocky and big. He wasn’t round by any means, but it was clear that he was well-off at least. Especially with the plush night robe he wrapped around himself. Looking at him though, it was hard to imagine that he had anything to do with the girl in the window.

“Normally I wouldn’t open the door for anyone, but we’re desperate,” he said. “Those vermin outside, though vermin even seems too light of a term, they’ve been getting bolder and nastier with the people.”

He fidgeted and fussed with a ring of keys and his robe as he stepped fully into the house. “Forgive me, I’ve forgotten my manners in all this,” he said. “I’m Esmond Rivershard, mayor of Harl-Ley and you are?”

He held out his hand for the strange man to shake and he was a strange man. Esmond took a better look at the stranger and tilted his head at him. He wondered how such a man made his way to the center of town or even in town for that matter. Perhaps, he did have a way with these creatures.

The piper entered the building, and as was with proper etiquette, he removed his pointed, wide brimmed hat, revaling a handsome, young face. His ears were slightly pointed, hinting of elven heritage.

He then nodded once, fixing his eyes upon the gentleman with dark brown eyes that somehow looked much older and more experienced than his youthful face might suggest. "I do bid you a good evening sir, and I do apologize for the hour." He murmured. "I would tell you of my name, if I could but remeber it. People have simply taken to calling me Piper, and so, that is my name now."

Piper quickly glanced around the room, and spied a table, with four wine glasses arranged around what looked like an empty bottle. One corner of his mouth upturned a little, as he reached into one of his deep sleeve, and withdrew a green glass bottle with a long neck, and a boulbous, ball shaped center. Around its bas was a tightly woven wicker covering.

He then gentured to the table. "It is unlucky to enter the house of a freind empty handed, and so, Ithought we could parch our thirsts, as we discuss business." He continued, reaching for the glasses. He pulled away the wax concealing the cork, and pried it away with a small blade from his boot. He then poured the vintage into the glass, smelling anchient, of fermented elderberries. He then grinned. "I do promise you sir, while Imay smell of this wine, my mother was indeed not a hamster."

The piper then sat in one of the chairs. "I understand affliucts your otherwise lovely town. I assume it has to do with the night, and those creatures that keep to the shadows?"

Back
Top Bottom