Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Is my request thread expecting too much?

TangerineAly

Planetoid
Hi there. I recently remade one of my request threads to focus on a sandbox scenario I really enjoy doing, but I've been getting the feeling that maybe I'm sort of asking for a lot from people. I, personally, have a very broad range of interests and relatively few limits, something that I get the feeling doesn't apply to a whole lot of people here. It's left me feeling that maybe I was naïve in thinking that there would be a lot of interest in a sandbox RP like I'm trying to do.

So, I'm curious to know, am I asking too much from people? Is my thread intimidating or off-putting in some way, or is it just that the premise requires a very rare type of person? I would really like to know, because I've made more "focused" scenarios before and been practically bombarded with PMs.

Here is the thread in question.

I'm not necessarily complaining, mind you, since I have gotten people expressing interest, though often times trying to narrow its focus, I just worry that I'm being a bit unreasonable.

I suppose that the level of detail might be intimidating to some. I also think that the degree of openness and world building may not be what some are looking for. I've seen plenty of people on this site have trouble with world building. I myself have had trouble getting open RP's going. It doesn't seem overly demanding, but it would likely only attract a partner interested in playing multiple characters and world building. The fact that it's school-based may also deter some people.

There are two different types of advertising. You have the Mass Appeal type for example where you just want to appeal to as many people as possible to sell your product to. Then you have Niche style, with Niche style you want to attract people who actually care about the product you offer and will grow with you so to speak.

I think for what you want your RT is fine. You will put off many people but those people wouldn't be suited anyway. You may have to wait longer for signs of interest but I think that is better than just getting people who don't know or care about what you are after and will waste your time.

If you are open to the idea of playing with more than one person, you might consider a version of this in one of the group interest check threads. There may be people that find one or more of your characters compelling but not the others or don't want to commit to that much interaction. Groups are tough but your sandbox seems as if it would lend itself to some people coming and going over time as some story lines advance and others lull.

The other possible suggestion is for your must have kinks. Does someone need to be into doing all of them, or just some of them? You might find a partner that would do a great dub con scene but isn't really into full non-con. You layout suggests someone has to be ready to engage in all of those kinks and you may miss out on someone who is into most but not all.

All in all, I think it is a pretty nice idea and it all depends on how flexible you can be and still enjoy the idea you present.

It's not you, its me.

Let me explain - I have been ghosted. A lot. I have started many stories, and none of them have seen completion. Even partners that seem super happy and communicative, apparently well invested in the story, disappear from the site and from Discord and are never heard from again.

I remember reading your RT out in the 'wild' and was interested. But it would also be so much work. And if it lasted and worked out it would totally be worth the time and energy invested. I have a similar 'pie in the sky', 'wishing up a star' RT. I bump it when I am feeling optimistic.

And I am sure you will say you won't stop writing. And you probably wouldn't, unless I was a terrible writing partner and you didn't want to break it to me. But as for me, maybe I am jaded. Too jaded for how young I am on this site and in this hobby.

Its not you, its me.

~

Anyway, there's another angle for you to consider, albeit presented in an overly dramatic way. What amount of the above actually applies to me is an exercise left to the reader!

~

I personally believe there's no such thing as expecting too much. No, collaborative writing and roleplaying isn't a job, it's a hobby, it should be fun, but for me it's about wish fulfilment as well. I don't see the point otherwise. You want something? Go for it. It might take a bit longer to find exactly what you want, but if you have expectations, you shouldn't lower them.

If you're having trouble getting partners for that, I think it might be because there's not much for another person to engage with. The majority of the ad is a description of the characters you play. In terms of the characters you want them to play, and the situations you want to RP, you've left it too open-ended IMO. You might want to provide some plot/character hooks that another person might be able to react to.

Back
Top Bottom