Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Question Quest Threads

Silver Screen Fiend

Super-Earth
I want to run a "quest" on this forum, but I'm not sure what board I should do it in.

To specify what I mean, "quests" are threads that were once popular on 4chan's /tg/ board (traditional games, ie D&D, WH40K, Shadowrun, etc.) wherein the OP would present a narrative to the readers and present choices for them to choose, or even leave it open ended as to what should happen. Usually quests are presented in the perspective of a singular protagonist, and the readers are encouraged to approach the narrative as if they embody the hero themselves. While an individual user's input is limited, and just one opinion among many others, the audience forms a cohesive whole as they view what others have said and suggested throughout the story before adding their own thoughts. I would remain the sole author of the story, but the potential readers would in a way become co-authors, though this would not be a 1-on-1 role play, nor a group role play, but a kind CYOA with a group of participants.

As some have suggested, I could use one thread to post the "official" narrative as written by myself, while an OOC thread will contain all of the posts submitted by the readers. I don't want to leave reader input to DM's since other readers won't be able to see what others are posting. Should I use Group Role Play? Open Role Play? Storytelling? Before I go further I would appreciate an admin's thoughts on this.

Honestly, this seems like it'd fit best in Storytelling -- with a disclaimer at the top, explaining what you've said here. How the story will work, how contribution is considered and applied from the audience etc...

It's a complex idea and, as such, sort of necessitates complex footnotes and other supplemental information so that everyone knows what's going on. Additionally, I don't see a reason a separate, "OOC" thread couldn't be created alongside the first in Storytelling. Again, with the proper titles and headers explaining the concept.

Just my 2cents, and not gospel.

I would be fine going in either direction. I agree it might be best to see if anyone is interested first. I'll make some art, gather some notes, and put a post in Game Requests/Interests Checks first.

Back
Top Bottom