Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Weeds in the backyard AndNich123 and MacCloud

MacCloud

Super-Earth
Ranulf MacCloud rove toward the mansion in this high end neighborhood feeling totally out of place. He laughed at himself, after twelve years of living in a barracks or in some hostile open to the stars area he was finally going to have his own rooms. Seemed so different though. No wonder this job paid so well no one around her likely earned less than half a million a year and he suspected that was a low estimate. At least his Dark Blue mid size chevy pick up was new. He might not look to out of place driving here. he was checking addresses but he knew the place he was going to as soon as he saw the huge garage.

Ranulf had spent twelve years in the Marines force recon units. About a third of the time in training for the next cycle of deployment. He had been in Afghanistan, Africa, and South America. Hot spots where the best of the best were tested. He had seen too much and had lost his zeal over those years. Seemed no matter how much they did, it was just undone by the next hardcase in a long line of people willing to do bad to others. He had enough so at the end of his enlistment he had taken a discharge. He had never really considered what was next after the military so he spent a few weeks just living in a small apartment looking at jobs online or in the newspaper. He could have gone to college but he just felt too old for that sort of atmosphere. He could have taken off for the mountains, he had enough money to live simply for several years. He was not ready to become a hermit though either. He was not going to go into security and he never even considered the merc route. If he was going to stay in that field he would not have left the marines.

Than he had seen the perfect job. He had worked in his Dad's garage back home since he was old enough to see over the hood of a car. He had three things growing up that he had loved. he had martial arts, painting portraits, and working on cars. This job he was going to was working on expensive cars. His employer had a complete set up with a computer to test his babies. They had met, he had been hired. Now he would get to see the set up first hand. The money was really good, too good to pass up and the job was about perfect. He would be expected to chauffer the guys kids now and than but that was no big deal. He parked in back of the garage where a single vehicle garage was located. It had a three room apartment above where he would live for free as part of his compensation package.

He stepped out of his truck and stretched after the long drive. He was 6'2" and a solid 200 pounds. He ran every morning and worked out regularly, it showed! As he walked toward the garage he saw a pretty young lady walking past the pool. She looked his way and he waved. he was not good with small talk so he kept walking toward the big garage where he would work.

It was instinct really. Normally she was quite shy, but as she had seen the figure approaching, her hand seemed to move of its' own accord, rising into the air, and waving slightly. He seemed....harmless enough. His height could be intimidating, and the muscles, the curves of his body, that were barely concealed by the clothing he wore, could also make him seem....looming. She swallowed hard after he had passed, realizing she was letting her mind win a battle that she didn't want to lose. Her usual, normal fears were starting to take root, and she knew it would only be a matter of time before she wouldn't even be able to look at him unless his gaze was elsewhere.

She had planned on a swim that day, but now that she knew he was on the property, she began to think better of it. Perhaps spying through the sheer curtains of her bedroom that faced the backyard would be a better use of her time. Maybe then she could satisfy her curiosity of what he looked like at least. Her mind could begin to come up with stories of him and what his life must have been like. Certainly, she wasn't brave enough to ask him. He was a stranger, and while that would change over time, for now, he was someone she would watch from afar. Maybe that would pass. She certainly hoped it would.

Granted she could have asked her father about him, it probably wouldn't have gained her any information. Her father was rather tight-lipped about..well..everything. He kept his family from his business, and his personal life was looked at as a business. It meant many times wondering what was going on and being glad for the few moments he would allow them in. It meant many photos that were viewed by millions that only stood out in her mind because his hand would be on her back. They saw a loving father, a brilliant businessman, and a wonderful husband. She saw a stranger who treated most of his life as a big secret, and this handyman was his newest secret.

She made her way up the winding staircase, her feet barely making a sound as they touched the hardwood surface. Being quiet was a skill in this skill, one a person either learned to perfect, or they would suffer the consequences. Turning the doorknob to her room, she pushed open the door that provided shelter from the outside world. Inside of these walls, she was free to be whomever she pleased. There were no prying, judging, eyes. It was simple and peaceful. Pushing aside the curtains, she saw him there. Her father wasn't present. Perhaps he had already come by and spoken to him. No. He wouldn't be bothered to be seen chatting away with the help. No. The mat. Of course. It had to be. There was a moment, a brief one, where she thought about remaining in her room and simply watching him. Perhaps it was her curiosity that got the better of her. Whatever it was, it drove her to turn on her heels and head right back out of her room. As she went down the stairs, there was no effort to be quiet this time. This time she was on a mission. She stepped through the open double glass doors that lead out to the pool and called to him. "Hey, Mister. I'm sorry. I don't know your name. My father probably left the key for the apartment under the mat at the door. Chances are you won't be seeing him today, or any other day for that matter. I just thought I'd let you know so you wouldn't be standing out here all day waiting for him. There's probably already food in the fridge too. Ellen, the chef, she's great about taking care of people. She's probably got you set up for a few days already. Hope you like what she picked out. She's got an eye for good fruits and veggies though. I'm sure she did an excellent job." She spoke to him quickly, as if there was some fear that someone was going to approach them, and she would have to pay a high price for speaking with him. There was, of course, no such chance of that happening. It was her nervousness that caused the words to spill from her mouth. She barely made eye contact with him as she spoke, only glancing up a few times. Once she thought she caught his eyes meeting her own. It was too much. Her cheeks had burned slightly at the thought. "I'm gonna go back inside now, but you can let Ellen know if you need anything. She'll....she'll get it or someone for you. It's nice to meet you," she told him, throwing her hand up once more, still avoiding his gaze as she began to back away from him. The moment she turned around and headed for the house, she realized something that caused her to stop in her tracks. Quickly she spun around and yelled quickly, "I'm Alex. Alexandria, but everybody calls me Alex, and you are?"

Ranulf was impressed by the beautiful young woman's poise, seeing a total stranger she had merely waved and went about whatever she had been doing. At least she was not as snotty as her father. The man who hired him had a picture of this woman on his desk. He assumed she was his daughter. He walked about checking the garage and began carrying his stuff up to the apartment when he heard someone behind him. He turned his head to see who it was before finishing the turn of his body. His martial training had made it an instinctive motion to look first as part of the turn. "Well thank you for the information and the concern Alex." His smile was gentle, a sort of meek expression, as he met her eyes tentatively but with a steady smile. "I was given a paper explaining the, well like rules of the house."

Ranulf lifted the small booklet from his shirt pocket, I did see where a chef named Ellen would leave me prepared meals to be heated by me whenever I decided to eat. Either your Father is a very concise or someone on his staff is. My duties and the perks are all listed in detail." Ranulf noticed her shyness as she could not maintain eye contact and he liked her. He had expected a spoiled brat who would expect him to kiss her shoes because he worked for her father. She was sort of sweet. "Ahh, Alex I am also to drive you whenever you wish to go somewhere. I do hope that is all right with you. I would not wish to annoy you especially after your thoughtful greeting just now."

He set one of his bags down and offered her his hand to shake. "My name is Ranulf, Ranulf MaCloud. Afraid no nicknames? I will answer to whatever you wish to call me though. I have a pretty thick hide after all. Say Alex would you like to bring a couple sodas up to my place? We could chat as I unpack if you like." His face grew a bit of color as he asked. He could not explain why he had to tell the truth. He just liked the young lady, he sort of felt they were much the same which was odd for him. "If you want, I understand if your busy."

Oh yes. The rules of the house. She knew them well. Others might think she was exempt from them simply because he was her father, but that wasn't the truth. The rules applied to everyone. She couldn't help but giggle and feel embarrassed as he held up the booklet. Her father truly did go all out with the help, and this man had best not think for one second that her father didn't see him as anything other than the help. He wasn't going to be his friend, his companion that he shared a drink with while discussing classic cars. No. Her father probably wouldn't even spare a passing glance in his direction for fear that he might somehow get oil or grease on his Italian leather shoes. The help was be treated as if they needed a guide to simply exist in the confines of his world. Certainly, everyone that knew her father well knew that this was his world, and they were simply in it.

Her eyes widened as he mentioned that he was to be her driver. Her father hadn't mentioned that to her at all. In all fairness, he barely ever spoke to her, much less keep her abreast of what was going on around the grounds. The sound of his bag hitting the ground drew her gaze towards him, and she looked up just as he offered her his hand. "It's certainly nice to make your acquaintance Mr. MaCloud," she told him, her words and tone as prim and proper as anyone with her training should. Grasping his hand, she couldn't help but notice the texture. His was the first hand she had touched that didn't feel as soft and smooth as her own. His was the first hand she had touched that was that of a working man. There was a certain roughness there, a certain quality that screamed he had lived. This man had not been behind sheltered walls, with everything given to him on a silver platter. He had lived. His grip was firm. Her hand felt small in his, and still, she tried to exude the same confidence by grasping his hand harder with her own. It paled in comparison, she was sure, but she had to make the effort. "You....you wouldn't be annoying me at all. In fact, I'd like that. We could chat more than if you like of course," she told him, wanting ting to break the silence and the grip she had on his hand. A smile spread across her lips, as she found the courage to look up into his eyes. Her hand finally slipped from his. "No need for me to bring up sodas. There are some already here, but I would imagine you might want something a bit more....adult. There's cold beer in there too. Nothing too fancy. Just run-of-the-mill beer. I can give you a tour of the place if you want, but then again....you're not stupid. I'm sure you can find your way around an apartment, but I could heat you up some of Ellen's fine cooking. She's got an apple pie in there, and there's ice cream in the freezer," she told him, raising her eyebrows. "What do you say, Mac? Are you hungry? I heat things up while you unpack. Deal?" She offered her hand once more, so they could shake on the deal. "Well look at that," she continued. "Now you've got a nickname. Mac."

Ranulf smiled, a warm friendly expression as he mad eye contact excepting her hand a second time. His grip was pleasantly firm but in no way oppressive. As if he judged her strength accurately and used only the force needed to show her respect. He never showed off at the expense of another person. He would show off but only as long as it did not see to him to be a put down to someone else. People had feelings, he was not good at apologizing so he did his best to not need to do so. "A tour would be welcome and hell, if you want to heat a pie and scoop some ice cream for both of us I would be grateful for the company. Soda is fine by the way, I don't drink."

He laughed softly, I can count the beers I drank on one hand." He picked up his bag as if it was weightless, that was his way of showing off. The bag weighed about 80 pounds and he handled it like it weighted five. As he walked toward toward the door he added "I drink a beer with some friends when they re-enlisted, at different times with friends who left the service, and one last with my buddies when I left the ship carried me back to the states. I have drank maybe four harder drinks in my military days. All to celebrate some occasion." He made eye contact looking at her as if seeing her for the first time. "You know if you like, as my first civilian friend in quite a while? Perhaps I should drink a beer with you to celebrate a new beginning for me outside the marines. If you would drink with me that is?"

Again he was a bit confused by his actions, he was not usually so forward. There was just quality in her eyes that made him feel like he had known her for years. So Alex tell me a little about yourself, college? Or are you a whiz kid and finished college early. I knew a hawk pilot who was my age, but she had a college degree and her pilot training completed in record time. Me, I like working with my hands so no college for this guy." He winked at her "don't get me wrong there, I am not dumb but classrooms are just boring to me. People who make it through college have my respect, all that time listening to people who behave like they are better than you. For myself I have skills enough to not need a piece of paper to say I am smart." He set down his bag at the outside door and use the key to unlock the door. Opening he bowed slightly "after you My Fair Lady." He laughed at his own comment "so tell me about the amenities here. Is there a hot tub, cable TV, high speed wifi?" He was smiling still as he followed her tight globes up the steps. "Say there is nothing in this rulepacket about using the pool? Would swimming in the pool be a bad idea? I go to the 'Y' about three times a week to swim but a late night swim would be nice on hot nights. Do you swim often?"

He was a bit nervous, this was after all his apartment and the young beauty was his bosses daughter. This could look bad! He felt a bit stupid for asking her to join him now. It had been all innocent, but it was still a younger, very beautiful woman and he was an unknown male. Her father would likely be far less than happy about this, on his first day even. Still he had not stopped walking up the stairs behind her even though he had stopped talking. He was not normally this talkative, just something about her made him want to talk, to just acknowledge he was in the moment with her. He knew it was absurd but he liked having her company. For a loner like himself that was not normal either. He shook his head, hell he was acting as if he had a crush on his bosses daughter!

His grip was pleasant. Maybe it was the contact that made her smile more than how his fingers wrapped around her hand. Still, a deal had been made. One thing her father had taught her was that your word was your bond. When you soiled your name, your reputation, then you had nothing. All the money in the world could not buy back a person's trust or your reputation. People respected money. It wasn't the same as having them respect you. He taught her to know the difference between the two. When hands shake, as they had done, then a bargain had been struck. So now it was time to see if he would prove to be a man of his word.

He took his bag and continued his conversation, opening more windows to allow her to get see who he was. The fear, the timidness that so often was there with her, was peaking less and less. She could still feel her heart racing, as the nerves could not, nor would they, be conquered in one day. Still, it was nice to be able to find someone she could actually speak to. It surprised her that he wasn't a drinking man, but as he explained the days he did have a beer, she began to feel as though he reserved such a thing for special occasions of sorts. It was sweet really in her eyes, but she wouldn't tell him that. The word sweet might seem a bit too soft and easy for such a man. He offered to drink a beer with her, and her heart skipped a beat. She had never had beer before. It simply wasn't ladylike, and her parents would have fainted had they ever heard that she had. Staying away from it was the best way to ensure that she remained out of trouble with them, as being in trouble with them could have also had consequences she did not want to face. "Well I....," she began. "I..I've never actually..I mean normally I would..you know how it is. Parties..and friends..and that's when..I would normally.....," she took a deep breath, certain he could see through her pitiful attempts at lying to him. "I've never actually..had..a beer..before," she finally resolved to tell him, her defeat in her tone. "I'm not a party girl. I've never been to a party before, never had one here either. My parents would flip, and I'm not ready for that kind of fall-out. Nuclear bombs would have less fall-out than my father would give me. Believe me," she said, her eyes widening at the very thought.

He spoke of his life, again opening more windows. She smiled at the thought of being a pilot. With the wealth her father had, she was no stranger to being aboard a jet. The thought of flying for her country was a different thing entirely. Her parents would never let her enlist. Something tragic might happen to her, and that was unacceptable. "I'm not a whiz kid, but my grades are impressive. I have to work hard for them though. Failure is unacceptable. Anything less than impressive is unacceptable. Anything less than what he was will not be tolerated. Around here," she began, lowering her head as they walked towards the front door of his apartment, doors lock. Silence is painful. Being alone is not always a gift. When people ask, 'what's the worst that can happen,' I want to say to them they should come over sometime. Pictures hang on the walls of a happy family here, but that's the thing. A camera only stops time for a fraction of a second. Life is what happens around that time, and it's not always pretty, no matter how much money you have."

He unlocked the door and bowed to her, drawing a smile back to her face. She crept up the stairs, finally making eye contact with him again. "There is a hot tub down by the pool, and believe me, late-night swims are the best. My father sleeps early most nights, and on the nights he doesn't, well....he makes sure I'm in my room aware that I am not to leave it. I have no idea. Frankly, it scares me to think of why. So," she said, exhaling deeply as she stopped at the top, standing close to him. "I often enjoy a little late night swim myself. You can have access to it as long as he's not using it. That's the one rule. Nobody is allowed there when the family is there. It doesn't happen often. My father entertains a few clients here a couple of times a year, but other than that, he never uses it. So, you're in the clear. As far as anything else that we have here, well, we've got anything and everything you could possibly want. If we don't have it, we can make sure you get it. My father is big on making sure the help is happy. When the help is happy, they tend to do better work. Father's rule.

He had unlocked the door already. So with one hand, while looking at him, she pushed the door open, revealing to him his new home. "Welcome home Mac," she said, turning to head inside. "From wall to wall, you have the best flooring money can buy." She slid her foot across it, gesturing with her hands. "Not only that, but you have excellent walls as well." Again she gestured, surprised to find she was on the verge of laughing. "Down that hall is the bedroom and bathroom. The kitchen is over there, as you can see. Through the door behind me is a small, private balcony. There's a huge fence around the property, despite the trees. Father loves his privacy. Over by the fridge, I think he's hung up a schedule for what he wants you to look into first. Routine. He's a big fan of it. Oh, and over there is a computer. He wasn't sure where you would want it, in here or the bedroom. So he just told them to set it up here. You can move it if you like. There are connections in there too. The linen closet is stocked with towels and extra beddings should you need to change it. Uh," she began, trying to make sure she remembered everything. "Sadly you'll be responsible for doing your own laundry. There's nothing in here for that though. You'll have to bring your laundry to the main house. Rose won't do it," she told him, nodding. "She will tell you she only works for Sir. So don't even ask. She'll show you where everything is. When you get ready to do any laundry, the chef will show you where to go, or..I..can. Either way. I mean..I don't want to..seem like I'm..bugging you..or anything. If you need anything, anything at all, you can ask or call. Call!" Her eyes widened. "There's a phone in the kitchen and in your bedroom. There are some preset numbers that dial you into the main house. They're labeled for you. You can put my number in if you want," she told him, suddenly blushing. "I mean..if you want to. I have my own private line in my..bed..room." Her blush deepened. She wanted to desperately take the attention from her face at that moment, and the first thing that came to mind was what came from her mouth. "Beer. Would you like that beer now? I can pour it, or we can share it..from the same..can, but you have to promise you won't say anything..to my father. Deal?"

Ranulf listened to her explanation about drinking, partying, and felt a little bad. "Hey soda is fine by me. I was just trying to be friendly. I, well, I can understand you not going to parties and a lot of those things adults think are typical behaviors for the younger generation. A beautiful young lady like you with obvious family money." He rolled his eyes in a sort of silly gesture "I can just imagine how much you would be hit on by those you are not interested in. Can't say I would do parties if I was in your shoes either." He was bolder than normal because he felt her unease. Helping her to feel more comfortable was making him feel more talkative.

She was telling him a good deal, what he felt was important stuff in her life. It was nice to think she trusted him but there was also a realization she was lonely! Like him she had her reasons to not fit in socially and it made him like her. She was a real hottie but to hear her speak of her problems made her a real person. This was cool, he was feeling like she would actually be his friend. Maybe being older he could help her find her way through her problems. Helping her to be happy might even make him feel less lonely, less of an outsider. No swimming when your dad is around and if I see you I will make a point of joining you. Might be a fun time to catch up on the days activities for each of us. I know I would like having someone to talk to sometimes. I am not very good at that, but you seem to make it easier for some reason." Her father sounded like someone who worried about appearances more than people. That made him feel the need to help Alex all the more. She needed confidence to make a good life away from home. Having a father who was as demanding as her's sounded like meant she saw everything through a lens that was her father's eyes. Ranulf was too independent to be able to accept that.

He noticed how nervous she was getting inside his room, her explanations of the laundry and his duties. About the other staff members and than she offered him her private phone number! He smiled "I would enjoy having your number Alex. That way I go out for a burger late at night I could call you and see if you wanted to join me. I do that a lot, or I have since leaving the military. Is so cool being able to go to a place twenty-four/seven to get a snack. I noticed the one chain at the end of the road coming up here. They have breakfast and a full menu anytime you want. I like french toast and bacon sometimes at like one in the morning. I would enjoy the company, maybe earlier than midnight though? Most people are asleep and I wouldn't want to wake you."

Ranulf had wandered over to his to do list as he replied to her. He felt giving her some space might help her relax. "Say you mentioned pie as I recall? You still okay with that?" He winked at her with a playful smile before looking at his schedule. He tilted his head as he read over it. "Wow! This is a pretty easy schedule. I was expecting two or three times this amount of work." He looked at Alex making eye contact "perhaps he expects me to be driving you around more than I thought. He made that sound sort of like an after thought when he interviewed me but this is a pretty light maintenance schedule. Ranulf walked over to the fridge and checked the freeze half. "Say you were right this is well stocked. You want ice cream with the pie? There are four flavors here. Unless you like peanut butter swirl though and plan to come over for ice cream often? I will have to take some of this stuff back to your House keeper. No sense in letting it go to waste." He got out the plain half gallon of chocolate and went looking for a spoon to scoop some out.

"I saw coke, pepsi, ginger ale, and 7up in the fridge, would you rather a soda? I don't want you to feel like we need to drink a beer." His smile was warm, like they had been friends forever. "After all I just offered thinking it.." How to say that without sounding like a jerk? "Well you being a young adult and all. I was just trying to fit in. I am fine with a coke myself."

He was kind enough. That much she had learned in the short time they had spent together. As he talked, she realized just how much she had missed going to parties. When he spoke of going for a midnight burger run, she lit up at the thought. It would be so forbidden. Her father imposed a strict curfew, and not once had she made any attempts at breaking it. He might just be the one she would do that with. Of course, she knew telling him of the curfew would be a bad idea. He probably wouldn't want to risk losing his job over some silly girl. Her father would be paying him well, and his cost of living was practically nothing here. Why in the world would he jeopardize that for her? "I have a curfew," she blurted out. "My father, he..he imposes one, and if I'm caught outside of the house after curfew, I'm sure there would be dire consequences. I've never bothered to break it. One doesn't need to be bitten by a tiger to know it hurts." She cast her gaze towards him, finally becoming aware that she had just randomly blurted out what she was thinking, what she knew he deserved to know. It wouldn't be fair for him to put his job on the line without being aware he was doing so. "I'm sorry. I just thought you should know. I'd love to go for a burger or an early breakfast at midnight or even one, but I thought you should know you might be in trouble if I'm caught with you. I didn't know..if you would..want to..risk it..for me," she shrugged. Shaking her head, she stepped closer towards the freezer. "Here. Let me. I'll serve you. Personally, you can't go wrong with a little vanilla on top. It marries with pie flavors nicely, while concealing it at the same time. You know there's something just beneath the surface, but you can't be sure until you bite into it." Placing the chocolate back in the fridge, she cast her gaze towards a drawer. With a nod of her head, she told him, "In there. There's an ice cream scoop in there. If this kitchen is laid out like the one in daddy's private area, it'll be in there. Looks close to it. Using a spoon to scoop ice cream is so..so....," she shivered, shaking her shoulders. "We can do better than that. No sense in doing things the hard way, and while we're on the subject of doing things the hard way, I'll take that beer. I want it. " Something about being there with him made her want to be a bit more adventurous, a bit more dangerous. Maybe she was heading down a dark path, one that would lead to the dire consequences she feared, but at that moment, she didn't care. A beer, sneaking out, being alone in a guy's place, these were all new things to her. Maybe she was on sensory overload, but Alex was determined to ride this out.

Ranulf got her a beer as he listened to her problems. As he sat down to let her serve lunch he cocked his head looking at her closely. "Not to be too forward, but your eighteen right? I am asking because I don't mind breaking a few rules if your an adult age. I don't wish to sound like I am prudish but your Father getting mad at me really not a big deal. Going to jail for kidnapping a minor though, that would be. Even if with your consent your Father could press kidnapping charges if you were under age." He began eating what she set before him. "Also I would not want to cause you a problem with your Father. I figure as long as your an adult, you can decide for yourself if the reward is worth the risk. So is up to you if you want to go ore not?" Ranulf took a second bite between words. "You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders so I will respect your wishes in that regard." He laughed softly "I could always bring you back something as well. Eat at the side of the pool on some warm night. That might appease your rebel-side?"

He was pretty sure she was old enough, but hell he was no judge of age. Girls fifteen could look mid-twenties and mid twenties could look sixteen. He had a friend in the military whose twenty-six year old mother of two passed as a teenager to get into the movies on many occasions. In fact the ticker seller would look as her husband like he was a pervert! She enjoyed it though, and Ranulf was pretty sure she made sure he got well paid for allowing it. Women and age was a difficult topic at the best of times, and he had just met this young beauty. Asking if she was legal was likely to end the whole friendship on the spot. Still he felt the need to know. Not that he had any overt plans with her, he was not that much of a dog. He did like her company though and thought she would make a long dreary evening a bit exciting. Nothing like traveling with young people to make you feel younger yourself. He could use some light hearted shenanigans anyway. This would be like his younger days sneaking off base to grab a pizza just because it was risky. How long ago had that been, before he got his sergeant stripes anyway. He had made sergeant in his third year, so that had been over nine years ago since he had felt the wild freedom of misbehaving himself. He was due for a bit of rule breaking himself.

"Anyway Alex you think about it, if you are willing we can make a run some night it is just to warm to sleep. I doubt your father would go to the same truck driver diners I go to? So I doubt anyone would know you in those places. So getting out and back in would be the gamble for you." he made eye contact and sort of got lost in her eyes for a bit. Snapping out of it he added "you do get caught blame me. I have been in trouble before." He snorted a laugh "and I doubt your father us going to shoot me. He might fire me but I am not worried about my life being in jeopardy. Which is nice, you see in my past decisions usually had life or death kind of circumstances." he pointed his fork at her pie "is really good like you said. Go ahead and enjoy. I am talking too much as it is."

A truck diner. The thought brought on so many thoughts, so many mental pictures. Dirty bathrooms. Truckers. Hookers trying to help them have a little fun while making some cash. She liked it. It all sounded so against the rules, so against anything her father would want, but if she wasn't 18, he wouldn't take her. "I'm 18," she told him. "And in the future, don't ask a girl her age. That's no way to get anywhere with her. Don't ask her age, and never, ever hesitate if she asks you if she looks fat in something. Women can smell hesitation a mile away, and they will rip you apart for it." She gave a knowing nod. The answer about her age was hopefully swept under the rug. Of course, she wasn't 18, but she was close enough. She don't want to let a few months screw her out of having a good time with him, and she wasn't about to put it all on hold either. The chances of them being caught were slim. She kept rationalizing this in her head, knowing it wasn't fair to him. Again, he deserved to know the truth.

"A late-night swim, something good to eat, it all sounds perfect. Maybe I can find something in my closet my father would certainly not approve of and wear it. Something tight, short, and slinky. I have a few outfits like that, a few costumes I guess, that could fit that bill." She opened the beer and hesitated. Yes. SHE hesitated. After telling him about how women could smell hesitation, she hesitated. This would be her first sip ever of beer. A person didn't get too many firsts after reaching a certain age. This was one she wanted to savor as well as one she was afraid of. "Cheers," she told him before tipping the cold can against her lips and tasting the liquid inside. It was vile, terrible, and yet she swallowed. "Wow," she told him, wiping her bottom lip with the back of her hand. "That's..that's..truly terrible," she laughed. "I've never tasted anything so bad." She was laughing now, her hand still holding the beer. "But what the heck?" Again she lifted the can to her lips, this time tilting her head back, intent on drinking as much of it as she could. Having never had a beer before, she had no idea of how it would affect her. Sitting the near-empty can on the counter, she said, "I guess after enough of those though, you don't care about the taste. How many can you drink, and still drive I mean? So I'll know how many you can have and still be able to take me on a late-night run tonight," she teased. "That is if you're up for it."

Ranulf shrugged "don't really know how many I can drink to be honest, I never drank more than one at a time." He smiled laughing with her "yep, I always felt the same. Beer and cigarettes are both things adults do for some reason. Although when I ask people why I get the same answer 'oh you get used to it.' I sort of figure if I need to get used to something? I just am not so sure I want to. I mean like this pie here. I could eat this everyday and never once feel I had to get used to it. Soda the same thing, I liked my first can of coke right from the first sip, rootbeer, grape or cherry the same thing. Never felt the need to get used to bacon or a burger either. Seems just not being good for you doesn't mean it has to taste bad. I don't eat many greens either. Things you need to get used to are pretty low on my to-do-list."

He did look at her a moment once he stopped laughing. "This short sexy outfit your planning on wearing? You know a lot of the guys might get the wrong idea about why you are there. You have a nice figure and you have that sexiness of youth already. You wear something too sexy and I might be called on to defend your honor." His smile was warm as he added "not that I mind a brawl now and than but they are not always the most discreet activities. You dress sexy like your talking about you stay close to me Alex. You don't want to draw out the predators." He chugged his beer, it was the only way he could get it all down as he hated the taste as well. He crushed the can and tossed it into the trash bin. Raising his hand for a high-five, to us? Rebels for the sake of rebelling!"

Ranulf sat back as he made eye contact "dressing sexy and after a late night swim? Tell me Alex, are you planning on being a tease when I take you out? Seems unfair to tease a fella for taking you out on the town? I mean your eighteen an all so your an adult, you can do as you please. I am not raining on your parade here. You should know though, I am not a high school boy to mess with. You ever strip down in front of me and bosses daughter or not I will teach you how a man treats a woman." He took another bite of food, savoring the flavors as he chewed. "You keep your panties on and I will defend you no matter what and you will be safe from me. You take them off and no promises about how safe you might be with me."

He winked, her talk about wearing slutty clothes felt like an offer and he wanted her to know he was not someone to mess with. He gave her a rule. "Just letting you know my ways Alex. I want us to be friends. One thing you can count on is I won't ever lie to you. Not saying I will always answer your questions but if I do it is the truth as I know it." He felt the mood might have gotten a bit too serious so he stood "you want to help me unpack? Or do you have some better, more fun stuff to do?"

Back
Top Bottom