Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Daisy of Valendia [Amorellia & Agnes]

Agnes

hellion
PicsArt_07-02-03.07.12.png

PicsArt_07-01-09.39.36.png
The blistering sun singed her pale lilac skin as she walked through the bustling crowds of the Summercourt district. Only the rich lived here; merchants fat from wealth, upstart lobbyists vying for the king's favor in court, and eccentric nobles who preferred a life in the capital over a quaint life presiding over their fiefs in the countryside. Against their fine silks and gleaming jewelry, Dame Ellemere stood out like a sore thumb, further made worse by her ashen hair and curved ram-like horns. She towered over women and equaled in height to most men, and clad in her gleaming steel armor adorned by lion head pauldrons, she looked a veritable giant. Most of the nobles of the district had the common sense to stay out of her way, and Ellemere paid them no mind, too preoccupied with her thoughts as she ambled her way towards her destination.

She rarely frequented the luxurious parts of the city of Goldhearth, preferring the seedier and decidedly more lively ambiance of Grey Harbor, her home district. Despite being a knight, the horned woman could be found frequently carousing the tavern and the adjoined brothel and carried a less than pristine reputation for her antics. The Draenei paid them no mind; she simply called it 'keeping in touch with her roots'. The truth wasn't very far away, since she was born in the very same brothel. As such, she wasn't deemed worthy enough to serve directly under the king and instead was pledged to Lord Corbin Westerly, her oldest friend and surrogate brother. Incidentally, the one to whose mansion in the Summercourt district she was heading to now.

While Ellemere prided herself in bowing to no one, she had no choice but to obey when Corbin sent her an official letter summoning her to his home. She wouldn't want to anyway— she owed the Westerlys a great debt, and Corbin and she had a bond closer than that of siblings, one forged in the fiery crucibles of war. His father, the Lord Westerly before him, had taken her in from the slums after she was caught trying to pickpocket him. Instead of punishing her, he offered her mother a hefty sum to release her into his care (which the woman was more than happy to do) and trained the girl in the arts of war alongside his eldest son. They grew up together and later served in many wars together as well, fighting against the enemies of the Kingdom of Valendia. When his father passed away, it was Corbin who knighted Ellemere as his first act as lord.

The train of thoughts came to a halt as she came upon Lord Westerly's estate. The sight never failed to awe her— the building was twice as tall as the ones next to it and was decked out in black and gold, the colors of his house, adorned with expensive paraphernalia. It was an architectural marvel. Fancy prick, she thought to herself, shaking her head in amusement. Pursing her lips and sighing, she entered.

-x-​

"I'm a bit too old to be chasing around misbehaving pirates, don't you think?" she asked loftily as she drained the third glass of Corbin's expensive wine.

"You jest, but it is a serious matter," her friend replied patiently, refilling her glass as he paced around the room. "I don't know who's smuggling the contraband into Summercourt, but I do know, from a reliable little bird, that they're doing it with the help of a gang of pirates from Grey Harbor. New arrivals to the capital, most likely." He paused, sipping his own glass in a decidedly eloquent manner, a far cry from when he chugged down casks of ale on the battlefield. Ellemere watched him, amused. "You're my best bet to track them down, seeing as you're 'still keeping in touch with your roots'."

The Draenei snorted. "You act as if you weren't smitten with Bessy and her big bosom."

The human sighed exasperatedly. "Don't bring her up again, please. In any case, it shouldn't be a difficult task for you. The scum will sing like canaries at the toss of the coin. Or when you break their noses. Whatever works for you." She nodded. The playful banter was just that— banter. When it came to actually putting in the work, Ellemere was rivaled by none in her dedication. She rose from her lounging position on the fancy leather seat, grabbing her sword from the racks as she prepared to set out for her task.

"And, Elle, I have one more request of you," the human called out behind her, causing her to turn around and raise a brow in surprise. It was unlike him to leave behind details like this, and her suspicion only compounded as he still seemed to be somewhat nervous as he spoke. "The Ordo Lucis has asked me if you could take one of their priestesses along for your venture. They say she could do with some experience of the world to nurture her abilities." Ellemere balked even more at that, and she gazed at Corbin, eyebrows knitted together as if she was looking upon some foul alien creature.

"I'm not sure if you've noticed, Corbin..." she began, "but I'm not exactly the nurturing type. Not to mention, Grey Harbor is no place for a prudish priestess of Light. I find the notion of babysitting one downright detestable."

He shrugged. "Give her a chance. They say the girl is extremely talented and that she has a great destiny ahead of her, whatever that means. You might come to make use of her talents yet." He smiled boyishly, his features made to seem ten years younger by the youthful smile. Ahh, but he was old now, and so was she. 45 years of age. "Hmm. I expect a handsome reward for this. I have a feeling this priestess will be more trouble than she's worth."

-x-​

The priests certainly loved their extravagances. She thought Corbin's mansion was large, but it looked like an ant compared to the humongous Grand Cathedral of the Ordo Lucis, or the Order of Light. It cast a large shadow over the whole of Summercourt, and its ancient design and stained glass window panes that lined its walls served as a perfect symbol of the rich and privileged's sense of style in Goldhearth. Ellemere found herself actually feeling quite intimidated by the building, but she expertly masked her emotions, walking towards the grand oak doors and pushing them open with a loud creak.

The doors led directly into the atrium, where a large mural depicting The Light dominated the wall facing the entrance. All around her, members of the order old and young milled around, going about their daily business. From acolyte to ordained priest, they were differentiated by their robes, though Ellemere could not tell which was which. She stood there awkwardly for a moment, not quite sure what to do or who to speak to until she was saved by an old human man dressed in priest garb who approached her. "Greetings, child. I am High Priest Poldrick. Is there something you seek by wandering into our sacred halls?"

"Erm. Dame Ellemere Taragondar, on behalf of Lord Corbin Westerly. I was told to expect a priestess to accompany me on my mission. Might you tell me where I can find her?"

"Ahh. So you are the knight Lord Westerlin chose?" the man asked rhetorically, and for a split second, Ellemere could swear that she saw judgment in his aged grey eyes. "Good, good! Young Amorellia has been waiting for you. Come, I shall take you to her." With that, he turned on his heels, walking towards one of the doors with his hands behind his back. Ellemere followed suit, her plated boots echoing with every footstep.

PicsArt_07-01-07.13.59.png

Last edited:
Amore.jpg The scurried pitter-patter of light, small strides reverberated off of large limestone bricks, echoing throughout the narrow, high arched corridor. A petite figure hurried down the passage, all but running. Of course she wouldn't run - there were rules about that, and such things would be undignified. The girl looked up as she hastened down the hall, gazing in wonderment at the nearly ten meter tall arched ceiling, not a brick out of place. The architecture of the Grand Cathedral never ceased to leave her in awe, regardless of how much time she spent there.

As Amorellia rounded the corner she narrowly avoided colliding with Prelate Ulric, maneuvering around him with a quick spin. "Sorry!" the singsong voice of youth resonated through the hall, leaving the old Prelate behind to simply shake his head at her with a disapproving frown. Shades of red, green, blue and yellow patterned the priestess as she scampered down the passageway, the First Sun shining brightly through high panels of stained glass.

Amore loved the outer edges of the temple, where the decorative glass faced the rest of Summercourt. As beautiful as the Grand Cathedral was, the nearly pure white limestone would weary the girl's eyes. The colors from the windowpanes not only brought life to the sanctuary, but hinted at some of the wonders that the outside world might bring.

The youth continued on her journey, bright azure eyes taking in the spectacles of the cathedral while also making sure she didn't have any absent-minded collisions with any more of her elders. A bead of sweat matted down some errant strands of blonde hair against her forehead; the white robes the priestess wore were designed more for ceremony than they were function.

-x-​

The Ordo Lucis, commonly known as the Order of Light, spared no expense when they had erected the Grand Cathedral - the patriarchal sanctuary of of their sect. While the Order spanned all of Valendia, Goldhearth was their home, as well as the dwelling of Paragon Tiran, the head of the Order. The temple also housed the Sacred Library, which contained much of the Order's texts, as well as the Divine Altar, where many of the ceremonies were performed.

Contrary to what most believed, the Ordo Lucis was not a religion, as they did not follow a god. Instead, clerics of the order studied an obscure force they simply referred to as the Light. Those in service of the Light were endowed with its power - primarily to aid, heal, and protect, but also to use offensively if necessary.

-x-​

Amorellia swung the door to her room wide open, quickly making her way inside. It was a humble abode, only containing a pair of small nightstands, two cots, and two modest armoires. A candle burning on each nightstand provided only a dim light, just enough to study any tomes as necessary.

"Hey, what's the hurry?" another youthful voice, belonging to Amore's roommate, Valanna, asked the question. Valanna was one year younger than Amorellia and held the same lowest-ranking title in the Order. The two had shared a room for years now, and Amore regarded Val as her closest friend.

"I don't have time to explain," the priestess responded, opening the armoire and grabbing her satchel. "High Priest Poldrick has summoned me for a task, and I'm already late!" The words in the girl's voice were laced with urgency. If there was one thing you didn't do, it was to make an elder wait on you.

"Why would a High Priest summon you, you're just an Acolyte like me," Valanna asked curiously, sitting up on her bed, watching her roommate flurry about the room.

"I don't know," Amorellia replied as she laid the satchel open on her cot and began to fill it with various items - clothes, food, scrolls.

"But you're just fifteen, what's the task?" Another question from Val.

"I don't know."

"Is someone going with you?" the roommate canted her neck and asked curiously.

"I don't know!" Amore blurted out in frustration, finding it hard to focus on her packing while her roommate interrogated her. "I was in the foyer when Abbot Garrick told me to pack a bag and go to High Priest Poldrick," she said, reviewing the satchel to make sure she hadn't missed anything. "I've got to go!" the young priestess said as she slung the pouch over her shoulder and scurried towards the door.

"Wait! Your staff!" Valanna exclaimed, pointing to the corner of the room behind the armoire.

"Thanks!" Amorellia hurried back, picking up the rod and managing to give her roommate a grateful smile before dashing out the door.

-x-​

The teenaged human had been fostered by the Order practically since birth. Her parents left her at the cathedral when she was just a babe, and since then she had been raised, educated and trained in the ways of the Light. Amorellia was still a mere Acolyte, the lowest-ranking title of the Order, but her mentors had seen an innate spark within her - or at least that's what they told her.

'I bet they say that to all the students,' the priestess mused to herself as she hurried back through the cathedral the same way she came. 'I certainly don't know what they're talking about.'
Amore had spent most of her time within the temple; only a few times did she ever venture out into the Summercourt district; never alone, and never very far. 'Why did they tell me to pack a bag?'

The priestess arrived at the door of the room in which she was to meet Poldrick. She stopped for a moment, gathered herself, and straightened her robes. She put a hand on the heavy wooden door, feeling the grain and knots of the lumber against her palm, and took a deep breathe, exhaling slowly. She was already late, and she wasn't expecting the High Priest to be happy with her.

"I apologize for being delayed," the girl said meekly as she pushed the door open with a creak, taking a step inside. She was received by the sight of High Priest Poldrick standing in the middle of the room, conversing with what seemed like a woman. The pair had their backs turned to the door where Amore stopped and waited silently.

Last edited:
They had been waiting for twenty minutes now, and topics of conversation had ran out fifteen minutes ago. There were only so many things a priest and a knight can talk about before they were reduced to talking about the weather. Even then, the paired had tried to stretch it out as best as they could; Poldrick liked the First Sun apparently, because it shone brighter and was a joy to look at when it set at midday, while Ellemere preferred the darker and moodier, yellower light of the Second. After that interesting exchange, the two had fallen into an awkward silence, waiting for this 'Amorellia' person to show up. Elle was now tapping her foot impatiently, glancing at the painting of the naked elven woman on the far side of the room for the upteenth time. At least High Priest Poldrick had a good taste in paintings and women, she mused.

"The painting is very nice," she tried futilely.

"Ah, yes. One of Blanche Astoria's finest works. A very talented artist." Ellemere nodded in her best show of enthusiasm, even though she did not know who Blanche Astoria was. Just then, when she was afraid the room would fall into awkward silence again, the great wooden doors creaked open, signalling this tardy priestess had finally arrived. Ellemere almost groaned in relief, and turned along with Poldrick to face the newcomer.

The woman's jaw might as well have dropped to the floor— the Draenei could only gawk at this 'Amorellia' person, who turned out to be a little girl who seemed freshly torn from her mother's breast. Was she supposed to be the all-powerful priestess who was supposed to accompany her? Oh, Corbin was in for a massive scolding after this whole ordeal was done.

"Ahh! Amorellia, I worried if something had happened to you!" Elle noticed that even though the old man was visibly upset and his tone was stern, he made no attempts to berate the young girl for being late, instead putting on a strained smile and beckoning her over. Perhaps it was because of her presence that he was making an effort to restrain himself? Ellemere pushed the thought out of her mind for now, focusing back on the meek girl and studying her with sharp, metallic golden eyes. She was a pretty little thing, that was for sure. Even clad in bulky, unpractical white robes that obscured her figure, the horned woman could tell that she possessed a graceful slender shape. Silky hair the colour of straw, eyes a bright and sparkling azure blue. If nothing else, she would surely grow into a beautiful woman one day.

The girl might notice the Draenei's eyes boring into her as she studied her from head to toe, but High Priest Poldrick did not. "Come, child. The Ordo Lucis has a great task to ask of you." He beckoned her over with a crooked finger, and once she had approached, he placed a fatherly hand upon her shoulder and presented her to the horned knight, who regarded her with a neutral expression. "We've known from since you were a babe that you were special. The spark of Light within you is strong; stronger than any in this Grand Cathedral could hope to be. We have told you this many times before as well, even if you refused to accept it." There was a hint of exasperation in his voice, though it was the affectionate, amused kind. "Although you are a young Acolyte now, you will one day grow into someone greater and more powerful than even this old man can imagine. Your destiny does not lie within these aged walls, young one." He then looked back up, looking into Elle's golden eyes, and gestured to her with his hand in a way only an old dignified man could.

"Which is why you will accompany this fine knight in her mission and aid her in any way you can, and learn about the world outside the Grand Cathedral in the process." He paused, smiling down affectionately at the girl, looking like a proud parent setting their child free into the world. In a way, Elle supposed, he was. He would've seen her grow up under his very eyes, going from a mere infant into a teenager in the blink of an eye. It was not uncommon for couples to have one child too many and leave day old babes on the doorsteps of the Cathedral, after all. Elle might not pay heed to the Ordo Lucis, but at least she respected them for taking in the needy and providing for them.

"I will leave you two alone to get acquainted. But do make sure to say your goodbyes to your friends, Amorellia. They will want to see you off." With that, he was gone, leaving the knight and the young priestess alone in the dark, tastefully decorated room. Elle remained silent for a few seconds, before deciding that it would be best if she spoke first. She stepped forward a bit, towering a full head over the girl, her horns only making the difference all the more obvious.

"My name is Dame Ellemere Taragondar, a knight in the service of Lord Corbin Westerly. And you, are Amorellia." She paused, tilting her head slightly, as if waiting for her to confirm her name. She then offered her hand, the gauntlets most likely feeling cold and unwelcoming to the girl's dainty hands if she chose to shook them. "I'll be honest, I was not overly ecstatic about letting another tag along on my task, let alone one young enough to be my daughter." Her tone was neutral, uncaring, but her words were harsh, her displeasure clear on her face as she spoke. "Have you even stepped outside of these fancy halls, young one? Am I the first Draenei you've seen?"

Smiling a bit mischievously, she leaned down so that she was level with the human girl's face, placing her palms upon her thighs, strands of her hair falling upon her face. "I do hope the Abbots didn't tell you stories about how terrible we are."

The young priestess's eyes widened as the figure turned, each step of her motion emitting a resounding clank of her plated sabatons against the stone floor. 'A woman?' Amorellia wondered as she shut the heavy wooden door behind her, taking care so as it wouldn't make a sound. 'But she has a sword.' She nodded toward Poldrick as he summoned her over. 'And she's a Draenei!'

Female knights were not unheard of in Valendia, but they were certainly not a common occurrence. Amore had seen knights milling about the Grand Cathedral - delivering messages or ordinances to the Paragon, fetching a cleric to accompany them, or even receiving a benediction prior to a long journey. But not once had the youth laid eyes on a female knight, and certainly not one who was a Draenei as well.

The Draenei were not foreign to the girl - their stature and swirling horns made them hard to miss, especially amongst humans. There were even a few who served the Ordo Lucis in the Cathedral. The Order held no prejudice on race, they just so happened to be primarily comprised of humans. Combined with the fact that so many Draenei rejected any organized religion or brotherhood, Ellemere had piqued the young priestess's curiosity.

Amorellia scuttled across the floor, as softly as she could, crossing the distance to the center of the room where the two awaited her. She noticed the Draenei's golden eyes focusing on her, assessing her. The closer she came the more it felt like seeing a predator, sizing up their prey before the strike. Or perhaps a magistrate, judging the defendant before passing on the execution sentence.

As the teenager finally met the pair, she stopped and offered a formal bow - an Order custom as a sign of greeting, respect, or submission; or in this case, all three. She focused on High Priest Poldrick as he spoke. 'I've heard all this before... why does he always say this?' The elderly man had a tendency to drone on. Amore kept the man's gaze as he spoke, lest she come across as disrespectful, but she couldn't help but notice the woman was still watching her. It was as if the knight was deciding how she were going to cleave the girl in two - along the midriff or down the middle - and she looked like she was more than capable of it.

The priestess's eyes followed Podrick as he motioned over to the woman. 'Fine knight?' She repeated the words in her mind after he said them. The girl looked back and forth, back and forth, from the human to the Draenei, trying to find where this supposed "fine knight" was. All Amore saw was a woman who seemed to have seen too many long days, and too many short nights. Not that Ellemere was unsightly, on the contrary, but she was weathered, and not too pleased to be at the Cathedral. For just a split second the youth hoped that the old wives' tales weren't true, and that Draenei really didn't eat human children.

Amorellia watched the High Priest as he left before turning her attention to the knight that towered above her. She looked up at her with wide, bright blue eyes, but said nothing; she knew better than to speak to an elder before being addressed. "Amorellia," the teenager confirmed when prompted, offering a nod of her head before her gaze fell to the large, plated hand that was extended. She swapped her staff from her right hand to her left, before accepting the offered handshake. Amore's hand was dwarfed by the Draenei's, and the heavy gauntlet didn't help the situation. Nevertheless, though the girl could barely reach from the top of Ellemere's palm to the bottom, she shook her hand, as awkward as it may have been.

The young priestess leaned back slightly as the woman leaned down to her eyeline. Being so close, the Draenei would have noticed that the girl had a natural beauty, having many features that women spent much of their gold on trying to attain. Thin, high arched brows, often raised in curiosity or furrowed in frustration. Naturally long lashes outlined those bright azure eyes, which now sparkled with a mix of curiosity and trepidation. Cheeks that commonly held a rosy glow, which were slightly flushed at the Draenei's intimidating presence. Slightly fuller lips, which often curled up into a smile or laughter, were clamped together stoically. All capped with an upturned button nose. Amore would have no perspective on how she looked, as the Order put no emphasis on outward appearance.

The teenager closed her eyes momentarily before responding, taking a deep breathe in and exhaling slowly. "Y-yes My Lady," she began, a slight quiver to her lively, youthful voice. "I've been outside the Cathedral, but not very far into Summercourt. She pursed her lips mustering up as much courage as she could in order to match up to the woman's mischievous 'challenge.' "W-we have several Draenei that serve here in the Cathedral... but I've not spoken to any."

'Probably shouldn't have said that.'

The woman gazed into Amorellia's eyes, as if she were peering directly into her being. The priestess furrowed her brow a bit, defiantly trying to match up to the woman's intimidating presence... but utterly failing. If anything, it may have made the girl seem... cute. "I-I am not a child, and I don't believe in their stories," she said, but the hestitation in her voice betrayed her confidence (or lack thereof).

"My Lady, may I go and say farewell to my friends before we depart?" the girl asked. Upon receiving a nod from the Draenei, the priestess gave one more bow before scurrying back to the door through which she had entered, opening it and disappearing into the next passageway. After only a few seconds the girl came hurrying back, stepping back inside. She looked a bit bashful as she put her satchel down on the floor and leaned her staff against the wall, all while the vigilant woman stared at her. Having unburdened herself, the youth once again disappeared through the doorway.

'Well, there goes the first mistake.'

-x-

Heus! Elucescite!
Quid est tenebris, praeter lucis absentia?
Non est tenebrae
Ubi lumen est in domum suam.
Egredere, et exstinguere ac tenebras!

Hark! Shine forth!
For what is darkness, but the absence of Light?
Darkness cannot exist
Where the Light makes home.
Go forth, and extinguish the darkness!

Ordo Lucis - Compendium of Precepts Volume I, Index 4, Entry 13

-x-​

After fifteen minutes the priestess returned; there weren't many for her to say goodbye to, only Valanna and a few of her mentors. She reclaimed her satchel from the floor, slinging it over her shoulder, before lifting the hood of her robes atop her head. After collecting her staff from where it leaned, she made the short journey across the room toward the Draenei - her light-footed steps heard in stark contrast to the woman's heavy, plated footfalls.

Amorellia stopped in front of her new keeper, once again peering up at her from what felt like ten stories below. The teenager took a deep breath, and began. "Adiuro me tibi. By the Light's grace, I entrust myself to your care, and pledge myself to your service. I vow to..." the priestess began to recite an oath, one of many that the Order would have made her memorize, the length of which would be unknown to the Draenei.

Eyes as soft as the summer breeze and a voice as dainty as a daisy. A mere child by anyone's standards, and a sheltered wide-eyed doe at that; Ellemere could not comprehend why the great enlightened priests of the Ordo Lucis would think to entrust such an innocent thing into her care. There were better, safer ways of going about surely, but then again, that might very well be what they were counting on. For 'a fine knight', as Poldrick eloquently put it, to come along and whisk their hidden gem away on an adventure. Not a horned vagrant who looked like she could snap both the girl and the twig she carried in two.

Still, she would give credit where it was due, and the girl's spirit in not buckling under her stare was commendable, even if her eyes were full of trepidation, her lips clamped shut, her voice quaking with uncertainty, devoid of any confidence. She was actually adorable, in a way, her lively eyes and youthful voice suggesting she might be a girl who wore her heart on her sleeve, one who was completely out of her depth at the moment. Undeniably, the image was helped projected by her pretty face, which Ellemere found a joy to look at, button nose and full lips and all.

In contrast, the Draenei's appearance was all hard lines and edges. Her face was gaunt and fierce, her eyes lazy and lidded but alert, her nose straight and hooked. Her age showed in the frown lines framing her mouth and thin lips, perpetually pursed into a thin line. Her eyebrows were thick and straight, all of her features coming together to form a visage of irritation, impatience, and tiredness. On some unlucky days, a horrid combination of all three. Pale lilac skin and ashen hair that reached above her shoulders completed her otherworldly look, one that drew looks and whispers every second of her life. She was used to them of course, but it was a strange kind of satisfaction, seeing Amorellia's emotions war behind those big blue eyes as she came to terms with what she really was. Her quizzical look was not one of prejudice or hate, like so many she received, but of genuine wonder (and perhaps a bit of fear), like a child discovering something new for the first time. Then again, she might very well be one.

It was the main reason, she let the girl's comments slide. She was honest, if nothing else, and she would hate to offend one of the order's neophytes in their own halls, even if she enjoyed making her squirm. "Ahh. There's always a first time for everything, dear priestess. I'm sure you'll find the ambiance of the other districts of Goldhearth... charming." Her attempts at sizing up to her presence were futile, though it afforded Ellemere some small form of amusement, seeing her squinting her eyebrows and trying to seem bigger than herself. Her answers were defensive, even further confirming the fact that she was, indeed, nothing more than a child. The knight simply chuckled though, having had enough of verbally tormenting her. For now.

"Go. Be sure to take your time with your farewells. Your task may take you away for quite a long time yet." She gave her permission with a nod, watching the girl leave with vigilant eyes, arms crossed. She was ready to take a seat and let her legs rest for a bit when she came back in again, looking somewhat flustered and embarrassed, leaving her satchel and staff in the room before departing again. The Dranei couldn't help but let out an amused snort, finding the girl and all of her quirks strangely charming. What has she gotten herself into? With a sigh, she set herself down on a plush chair of obvious expensive make, gazing out from a nearby window to the beautiful view of the whole of Summercourt bustling underneath her.

-x-
She remembers when she came into Summercourt for the first time. Everything looked so big and extravagant back then. They still do, even now. She was twelve, a dirty little thing with two little bumps on her head where her horns would soon grow from. She was dressed in the same disgusting rags she'd worn for months, but soon she'd know how a real dress feels like. Or at least, that's what the kind human who bought her told her. Lord Edwin Westerly had a kind, if stern face, and Ellemere remembered feeling a sense of safety whenever she gazed up at his aged visage. The same face his son Corbin now wore. People stared at her as she walked through the cobblestone streets, just as they would when she walked through them again as a knight decades later. Some sneered at her, and one particularly uncouth man even spat at her feet. She remembers hiding behind Lord Westerly's lavish robes, wanting to disappear into them and go back to the whorehouse where her mother worked. Strong calloused hands held her tiny ones and forced her to walk with pride instead of cowering.

"Keep your head held high, little Elle. You have nothing to be ashamed for."

Ellemere remembers looking up at him, drawing strength from his smile. She managed an uncertain smile, one that soon grew into an excited grin as she saw the huge mansion that awaited them. Back then, the Westerly estate was a simple summer home for the family, but it was still more lavish and spacious than any abode Elle has resided in. With her head held high and wearing a huge grin, the little Ellemere padded forward under the heat of the two midday suns.

-x-
Memories were easy to get lost in, and the Draenei only came back down to earth when she heard the doors creak open and saw the priestess enter. She stood up lazily, waiting for her to approach, hands clasped tightly behind her back. She wasn't gone for long, which slightly worried Ellemere, thinking she could've done with a more thorough goodbye. One only appreciates the family and company when they are gone, and even though the Ordo Lucis could hardly be called a family, it was still a place of home, hearth and companionship. Something Elle has longed for since she was a child, and something she had long given up on.

Just as she was about to turn and leave, the teenager started reciting an oath to her, presumably to bind herself to her service, and Ellemere, a non-believer in any sort of god or deity whatsoever, immediately felt uncomfortable with invoking the name of the Light. She had half a mind to stop her, and was already opening her mouth and holding up her hand to halt her, but decided against it midway. Much in the same way the Light was meaningless to her, the reverse would be true for Amorellia, who seemed to draw strength from the words coming out of her lips. Perhaps letting her do things by her customs would be a small comfort to the girl, who Elle assumed was no less shocked by the sudden arrangement to travel with her. And so she stood silently, letting her recite the oath of service and any others she might need to do, patiently waiting until she has exhausted her mind and dried her lips.

After she was done, Ellemere gazed at her for a few moments, observing those doe eyes staring up at her, and contemplating one last time if she really should accept her on her mission. She was a woman who was not afraid to refuse anyone anything, but for some reason those azure hues drew her in and entranced her, and she knew there and then that there would be no refusal upon her part, even if she was uncertain about the whole thing. "For your sake, priestess, I hope your oath is not binding for life. You might not be so keen on serving me after this ordeal. Come, we must make haste. I trust you've heard of Grey Harbor? We are heading there, straight from the Summer Gates, to gather information about regarding my task. A noble is smuggling contraband into Summercourt with the help of a pirate gang from Grey Harbor, and Lord Westerly has declared it of paramount importance that I uncover the culprits behind this."

She gave her a reassuring grin, the warm gesture a bit out of place upon her gaunt face, and set out from the High Priest's room, crossing the great stone halls and passing the many statues, carvings and paintings depicted the legends surrounding the Light. "Quite exciting for your first venture, no? I'll answer any questions you may have, but make sure they are intelligent queries, not stupid ones. It is also acceptable if you keep your mouth shut and allow me to do my work in peace." With that, the plated sabatons echoed out as the knight and priestess exited the Grand Cathedral and merged into the crowd that milled about the Summercourt Marketplace.

-x-
"It must be quite hard for you, if this is your first time leaving the your home district," Ellemere said as the pair neared the edge of the lofty Summercourt district, where it would meet the lawless Grey Harbor. The knight slowed and turned, her armor creaking slightly, and gazed upon the beautiful sea of buildings and people they would soon leave behind. On the backdrop was the insurmountable Castle Highwind where King Cylas III resided, built atop a tall hill and surrounding by walls upon walls and outfitted with magical ballistae that protected the citadel and by extension, the whole city and it's naval fleet.

Yellow eyes turned to the petite teen walking alongside her, a hint of sympathy visible in those usually empty orbs. She understood the pain and shock of upheaval, even if she could never directly understand her situation. "Are you okay? Would you like to take a moment?" she asked softly.

The priestess recited her rather lengthy oath, her nerves showing as her youthful voice cracked every now and then, which only served to fluster her further. Finally finished, the girl inhaled deeply, both to catch her breath and steady herself. She gazed up at the Draenei that towered above her, who kept quiet for what felt like an eternity, wondering if the woman was deciding how to best prepare the teenager for dinner. Amore didn't even take the time to study her face, her eyes being locked in by the woman's gaze as if they had turned the girl to stone. The Order hadn't prepared her for anything beyond this, and her keeper didn't seem too enthused.

'Grey Harbor? Nothing good comes from there...' Amorellia thought to herself as she moved to follow after the knight. 'Smugglers? Pirates? Why am I here?' She had to scurry just to keep up with the long strides of the woman, her always light-footed steps falling in stark contrast with the heavy plated thuds of Ellemere's boots. She wondered what the Draenei had meant when she talked about the upcoming ordeal. The priestess was about to speak, but the woman's addendum of 'keeping her mouth shut' seemed like it may have been more than merely an option, so she fell silent.

-x-​

The youth's bright eyes widened as they exited the Cathedral. Amore had only left the temple a handful of times, and each had been more wondrous than the last. The immediate commotion of the bustling district was the opposite of the usual solemn silence of the Cathedral, and the sounds alone nearly overloaded the girl's senses. The only colors the teen ever saw was the light shining through the stained glass panes of the temple, but they paled in comparison to Summercourt. Everything was so bright, so vivid, so alive, more colorful than any painting that the Order had on display.

Amore found it difficult to keep up with the Draenei, not just because of her strides, but because of all the wonderful distractions. The sound of a blacksmith hammering caught her ear, and she stopped for a few moments to observe the Dwarven smithy hammering out a trinket for a wealthy customer, his stall full of armor and swords. On the next street over an acrobat was performing, trying to earn a few coins out of the pockets of the rich nobles that had congregated. The priestess watched in awe as he jumped, flipped and twirled, her azure eyes shining in the light of the early Second Sun, her jaw slightly agape. She apparently watched for too long, because as she turned back toward Ellemere she was met by the sight of the Draenei waiting impatiently, arms crossed and giving a stern glare that could've melted a statue.

Apparently the Draenei's message didn't quite get through, because it was only a minute later when the priestess was hunched over, petting a kitty that had meandered up to her. "Ellemere look!" Amore yelled over to the woman. Animals weren't allowed in the Cathedral, and Amore had always longed for a pet. The youth had a wide, bright smile as she pet the cat, full of life and joy, but the smile faded away as she turned her head and once again saw the knight waiting for her. The girl picked up her staff from the cobblestone street and hurried back over to the Draenei, using the rod as a walking stick. "S-sorry," she said bashfully as she caught up with her.

The priestess could tell that the woman had no time for nonsense, and made an effort to keep up with her. Her eyes still wandered, taking in the crowds, attractions, and spectacles as the pair made their way through Summercourt, but she made sure not to get too distracted and stop. 'Maybe we can stop on the way back,' the girl thought to herself, not thinking how long their adventure might take.

-x-​

Upon nearing the edge of the district, Amore stopped. Ellemere had already continued on for several yards before she halted, turning to speak to the girl. But the priestess didn't hear her - she was taking in the area for the first time, and saying goodbye to it all the same. Saying goodbye to the only home she's ever known, on her own save the companionship of someone who didn't seem to want her as a companion. The youth gazed for a long minute before finally turning back to the Draenei. Her azure eyes shone brightly, not by the sun, but with a mix of trepidation, determination, and naïve optimism. "I'm ready," she said as she took the few steps over to Elle, the words the most confident that the Draenei would have heard from the girl yet.

The sights and sounds and vivid colors of Summercourt were unignorable to the mind, that much Ellemere knew. She didn't blame Amorellia for being taken by the beauty of it all, as she actually saw a bit of herself in the young girl. The same wide eyed optimism and naivety that she held when she herself was a young woman, running through the busy cobblestone streets. The only difference was that while Ellemere received stares and whispers of scorn, Amorellia received ones of admiration and wistfulness. Perhaps the girl wouldn't notice, but the Draenei saw that her acolyte robes did her a service; people were religious in this part of the city after all. With the priests rarely leaving the grand stone halls, it was presumably a rare sight for them to see a priestess, just as the district was a strange new sight to the girl.

Goldhearth was a bustling cosmopolitan city, after all, and this was displayed most apparently in Summercourt. People of all races and cultures amalgamated and lived together as one, the only common factor being that they had coin in their pockets. Of course, there were some underlying prejudices and power imbalances; humans held almost all political and lawmaking power, and the Draenei were met with curiosity and a bit of fear, but Ellemere chalked it up the disparity in numbers. Her kind would forever be second best because it was simply not in their nature to band together and form a collective kingdom. Most were more infatuated with fantasies of personal gain. Indeed, it was not too rare an occurrence to see Draenei aristocrats flanked by their entourage.

But, the district also housed people who would provide services to these wealthy folks, and she assumed they were who the young priestess was interested in. These working class citizens often resided in the districts of Saltpass and Westbank, though a particularly wealthy merchant might afford an impressive home in Summercourt. At first, she gave Amorellia some leeway in her sightseeing, stopping every so often so she could catch up. However, patience was never really a strong suit for the Draenei, even if she had to exercise it often, and she soon found it tested as the petite blonde kept stopping and holding up their journey. It began to feel like she was taking her on a sightseeing tour around Summercourt, which she absolutely wasn't, and so she finally took and stand and gave her a stern glare the next time the tardy girl decides to let feet drag again.

But the message didn't seem to have gone through, and the weary woman found herself waiting for the girl again as she now hunched over and petted a cat, of all things. Why a cat? She would prefer a strong, reliable hound any day of the week, one that could serve her well in both battle and domesticity. Not some feline atrocity that meows all day and begs for food and shits everywhere. Her glare was sterner now, leaving no room for misinterpretation, her wordless look making it clear that she would happily abandon her back at the Grand Cathedral if she kept holding her up.

That seemed to have done the trick, because the teenager practically ran over to her after that, her face rosy and bashful, apologising in a damnably adorable voice. Most of her anger dissipated upon hearing her youthful, melody tune, much to the knights dismay, and she pursed her lips in frustration at herself for easing up on the girl. She would've happily smacked a lazy squire who failed to keep up with her, so why was she making exceptions for the blonde priestess? She wasn't even making her carry her bags! "I will get you a bloody cat after we're done," she said through gritted teeth, her displeasure clear from her tone, even if it wasn't as harah as she would've liked. "And then you can enjoy as many parlor tricks as you'd like, sweetheart. But keep your pace while you are with me. Do not make me wait for you again." Sighing exasperatedly, she turned back to the road, leading the girl away from the lively festivies of the marketplace square.

-x-
Guilt seemed to worm its way into her chest, which only amplified when she saw the girl gazing back wistfully upon her home, silently saying her farewells. Ellemere did not scold her this time, and simply waited patiently for her to catch up to her. Her brows were still furrowed and her face as empty as a moonless night, but inside she felt a small sense of sympathy for her. The woman didn't voice it, however, as there was no need to. In those azure eyes Ellemere found a certain fire, a confidence that was not there before. Impressed with the way she seemed to pull her weight, the Draenei nodded solemnly. "Good." She must remember that she was still a child, Ellemere told herself. A child that seemed to be trying her best to keep up with her, even though she was thrown into circumstances out of her control. A tilt of her head to beckon Amorellia forward, and the pair set off towards the end of the district, marked by a magnificent barred gate.

The heavy footfalls of her plated sabatons sounded her arrival, and the gates were already opened before they were there, the guards stationed there having recognized her stature and her ostentatious horns. The one standing guard out front, a young elf whom Ellemere remembered as Llelwyn, gave her an enthusiastic salute, earning a nod of approval from the knight. He was also a young man, another slum rat from Grey Harbor that clawed his way out of a life of crime. His origins showed in his slightly feral eyes and his ragged second hand guard uniform, and the fact that he was posted to guard the gate between Summercourt and Grey Harbor with no real chance of getting promoted in the near future. He did notice the young man looking quizzically at the priestess beside her, offering her a flustered smile when he noticed that she was a girl younger than him. Kids these days.

The disparity between the two adjoined districts was painfully apparent. Whereas Summercourt was all colours upon cobblestone, Grey Harbor was a drab greyscale upon a muddy dirt road. Shacks were built upon shacks with dwindling foundations, housing unhealthy amounts of people in small spaces. Those worse off were found lying on the dirty streets, either dying from infection, or in blissful ignorance induced by the drugs coursing through their veins. The smell of sewage permeated through the area like a perfume, the air stale and bitter on the tongue. Despite this, it was a lively place, though it was filled with gangs, pirates, thieves, cutpurses, beggars and all kinds of 'lowlife scum', as the people from the upper districts called them. Ellemere couldn't blame them. She grew up here, and even though she had a special place in her heart for the place, the company was nothing to be impressed by.

The mere visage of Ellemere's shining plate armour and horned head deterred most unwanted attention, but there were a few brave souls who catcalled the young girl beside her. A customary glance from the Draenei shut them right up, but she still found herself worrying a bit about the priestess, whose white robes and clear eyes made her stand out like a doe in a hunter's sight. "Ignore them, Amorellia. And stay close to me." Her hand squeezed her shoulder for comfort, and gently led her towards their destination, an establishment called The Maiden's Spear, a tavern and a brothel combined into one. Specifically, the one where Ellemere was born at.

They soon came upon the place after a few minutes of trekking through mud. It was quite hard to miss— above the rotten double doors was a placard with the name of the tavern written in horrible cursive. Beside it was a painting of a naked elven woman with male genitalia, pointing her large member at the words and seemingly stroking herself off. Even after all these years, it never fails to put a smile on her face. As if she was coming home, the Draenei walked up the steps and entered the tavern without as much as a second glance, the inside of which was packed to the brim, even though it was only afternoon, and smelled strongly of piss and vomit.

"Best make yourself scarce, sweetheart. Try to blend in and not draw too much attention to yourself." She casually tossed a single gold coin towards her, and started walking towards one of the tables, the denizens of which seemed to recognize her immediately. "Get yourself a drink or something, and pick out a table. I'll come join you afterwards. If someone tries to talk to you, tell them you're with Ellemere Taragondar and that she'll break their stupid faces. Now shoo."

The young priestess did her best to stay close to the Draenei as they approached the Summer Gate, staying within an arm's length and just one step behind. Her neck craned back and she looked up as the pair walked beneath the tall gate that separated the two districts, marveling at the construction that went just into the walls, let alone the district itself. She noticed the elven guard who emphatically saluted the knight, looking back and forth between the two a few times, wondering how they met and coming up with a backstory for the pair, as if they were characters in a book. She returned the offered smile - it was a nice change of pace from the not-so-warm reception Ellemere had given her.

The teenager's newly found confidence seemed to fade away as the pair crossed into Grey Harbor. Amorellia had read about and been told stories of this area of Goldhearth, but words didn't do the district justice... and not in a nice way. The girl's button nose immediately furrowed as the rank smell of sewage wafted to her, prompting her to gag a bit. With her free hand she lifted up the neckline of her robes above her nose, providing only slight relief from the stench. While the Draenei may not have had to worry about where she walked, the priestess was clad in a simple pair of white leather boots; she skipped and lunged to avoid the puddles and streams of "water," if it could be called that, that littered the ground.

Amore's eyes grew wide, not out of wonder, but out of morbid shock, as the images of the district burned their way into her retinas. Druggards, drunks, beggars, invalids; she had heard all the tales, but nothing would have adequately prepared her for the actual sight. As the pair walked past a sickly vagabond the girl's priestly instincts kicked in, and she thought that she might offer a litany of healing... until she remembered Ellemere's warning from earlier. Besides, it was probably best if she didn't stray too far from her keeper.

As the two walked deeper into the district, the "inhabitants" grew more gruff. The priestess even saw someone lying in the gutter in a pool of filth, wondering if he may actually be dead. The youth didn't understand why she could feel so many carnal stares at her, nor why they shouted to her, but it didn't feel right. She felt vulnerable and exposed, and stepped closer to Ellemere before she felt a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

'Where are we goi...' Amorellia didn't even finish the thought before the Draenei lead her to the Maiden's Spear. She was going to ask what this place was, but she received her answer via the lewd signage branding its way into her innocent mind. A blush came over the girl's already rosy cheeks, and she quickly looked away, following in tow with the knight, feeling awfully out of place. A stark change of pace from the sheltered environment of the Grand Cathedral.

The girl thought that the tavern might provide some relief from the foul odor of Grey Harbor, but she was mistaken. The stench lingered still, it just had different origins. Her curious eyes had more than their fill to take in as the pair entered the establishment. Ruffians. Barely-clothed women. Drunkards. Even a pair of men in a fistfight in the corner. 'Light help me,' she thought as she kept close to Ellemere's heels, nearly stepping on them in the process. She squinted a bit, as if it would somehow help shield her from the volume of the tavern's patrons and their antics.

Amore was about to protest the knight's command to stay back, but was caught off guard as the gold was tossed to her. She fumbled the coin, bending over and barely catching it before it hit the floor. By the time the girl had straightened back up, her keeper was gone. The little priestess felt alone, awfully alone, for the first time in her life. She gulped hard as she looked around, trying to find the safest place to be, if such a spot even existed. "Lux, protege me," the priestess recited the benediction under her breath as she hoped to go unnoticed, pulling her hood further over her head.

She saw someone else purchasing a drink at a counter, and made her way over there. "A-ahm, e-excuse me," she peeped, trying to gain the bartender's attention. When he finally noticed her he gave her a rather confused look, but he probably wasn't as confused as she was.

"What'll it be?" the rough-looking man asked.

'Probably should've thought of this first.' "A-ahm, whatever he ordered," Amore said, motioning to the man that had just walked away with a mug of... something. She rested her staff against the inside of her arm as she held out the gold coin with both hands, as if it were an offering. The bartender let out a laugh as he took the coin and walked away, returning promptly with a mug that frothed over the top. "T-thank you," the priestess said sheepishly as she took the stein into her small hand. She leaned over and smelled the drink - it burned her nose, and a grimace came over her face.

Amorellia turned around, her bright blue eyes scanning the busy room. 'Pick out a table,' she mused over the Draenei's command to her. She found an empty table and made her way over there, snaking her way through the crowd, taking care to not bump into anyone. She was about to sit down when she heard a loud and gruff voice.

"Hey, Missy!" The priestess made the mistake of turning around rather than ignoring the voice. "Yeah, you." A large, unkempt man, looking as if he was in his forties, walked towards her, a few comrades of his in tow. "What's a pretty young lass like yerself doing here? New hire eh?"

"A-ahm, n-no, I came here with..."

"How much?" the bearish man boomed.

"W-what?" the priestess looked around frantically for Ellemere, but she didn't find her.

"I asked how much." He stepped closer, close enough that Amore sensed a new odor that intermingled with the ever-present stench.

The priestess took a few steps back. "I-I'm here with Dame Ellemere Taragondar and she said that..."

"Who?" the man boomed. He must've been a new patron of the tavern as he didn't seem to recognize the name. "I don't care who yer with, if you don't tell me how much then I'll just take you for free."

The girl tried to back away, but was soon stopped as she felt the edge of the table against her back. The drunkard took another step forward and loomed over the teen. Amore's eyes widened, not in the same way that they did when Ellemere towered over her, but with a pure sense of dread.

The horned knight would've breathed in deeply and shouted aloud how good it was to be home if it didn't smell like someone vomited over a dead body and they weren't in a hive of scum and villainy. Home it may be, but that didn't always spell out hearth and safety. Pushing thoughts of the little cumbersome priestess for a moment, she lumbered towards the back end of the tavern where a door would lead into a brothel, her plated sabatons creaking with every step she took on the aged rotting wooden floor. The non-existent gods seemed to have blessed her with fortune today because she found her contacts sitting by a table surrounded by a gaggle of men, presumably taking a break from work.

The twins, Agnes and Senga. Probably the most expensive out of all the whores in the Maiden's Spear, and doubly so because they only came as a package deal, but that didn't deter customers from seeking their attention like lost puppies. Personally, Elle thought they were running a lucrative business model, using a shroud of mystery and exclusivity to draw men in, but she could attest to their sexual prowess. She had fucked them both before they were 'The Starfall Twins', when they were just simple girls unlucky enough to be born in a brothel, like her. Now, look at all three of them. Ellemere was a knight of the crown (depending on who you asked) and they had a whole private suite for them in the brothel, one that would've put some of the smaller homes in Summercourt to shame. Fitting, too; they called it 'the Astrarium'.

"Finally decided to give in?" asked Agnes with a coy smile as she approached, sweeping out her short brown hair in a display of sensuality. It was a long-standing bet that Elle would one day succumb and spend another night with them, even if she has to pay their full price. "Not tonight. I'd rather keep my three hundred coins, thank you. I'm actually here for information. Would you two sweethearts mind helping out an old friend?" A cheshire grin and a jovial tone to break the ice, but the hard stare of her unnatural golden eyes communicated that this was no joking matter, and the twins seemed to have gotten the hints immediately.

With a wave of her hand, they dispersed the crowd around them, some of them giving Ellemere looks of jealousy and envy, which she ignored. "Sit. What can we do for you?" asked Senga, who wore her identical brown locks long, down to her waist. The lilac Draenei did so, but not before she took a hearty gulp from one of the half-empty mugs to sate her thirst. The ale was bitter and watered down, and tasted like shit. Couldn't get it anywhere but the Maiden's Spear. "Heard there was a new crew in Grey Harbor. Couldn't have been here longer than a month. Rumoured to be working with a noble in Summercourt, doesn't really know the rules around here... might have a ship that's better equipped than normal. Ring any bells?"

"Only the one. You're looking for the Silver Ravens. Kaydwen's their captain. Quite a handsome man... he visits us quite often, you know?" sighed Agnes wistfully, seemingly lost in a dream.

"You know where I can find him?" Elle rebutted, not having any of the woman's non-sense.

"You're not looking to kill him, are you? We've just found a goose that lays golden eggs!" the shorter-haired woman gasped, but was cut off by her more sensible twin.

"They have a place here, but we do not know where it is, for obvious reasons. You might have more luck with one of Kaydwen's men. There was one here a while ago... ah, there he is! That fat, bald fellow having fun with that lass over there." Senga pointed towards the far end of the tavern as she spoke. Ellemere froze, her face contorting into a blaze of worry and rage. "What's a girl like that doing here... you okay Elle?"

"Yes. Thank you for your help. I'll drop by next time with a more proper form of gratitude," she said, already standing up and rushing towards Amorellia.

"We'd rather you give us our three hundred!" called Agnes's shrill voice behind them.

The knight crossed the room at an ungodly speed, so much so that she heard most of their conversation, but by the time she'd arrived the man had cornered the young priestess, his gravelly voice booming as he advanced with intentions Ellemere can only presume to be impure.

"Well, looks like yer free then, little Missy. Lucky me, eh..." he practically sneered as he raised his hand over her, but that was as far as he got, because a moment later, Ellemere's steel dagger had pierced his hand, breaking the leathery skin and coming out from the other hand, pinning it to the wooden table behind the blonde girl. Crimson bloomed on brown skin and brown wood, and the man screamed out in absolute agony, attempting to kick at her and break out of her hold to little avail. "Ellemere Taragondar," she repeated with cold, disciplined anger, twisting the dagger a bit more and prompting another scream from the ruffian.

Metallic eyes flicked to Amorellia, her face riddled with worry for the young girl, who was standing beside them frozen in shock and fear. Obviously, she couldn't handle herself in situations like these-- she'd grown up sheltered, all her life, singing praises about the Light and talking to people who lived the good life. In retrospect, Elle really shouldn't have sent her off on her own, but she didn't expect her to get in trouble so soon. Well, that might not be entirely true, seeing as how beautiful and comely the girl was. Of course, she'd attract the attention of some lowlife or another.

"Come behind me," she said, her voice clear and sharp even though the rush of emotions inside her, wanting the girl to be far away from the wretch in her hands as soon as possible. "This is the man we're looking for. He's part of the Silver Ravens, and he's going to tell us some stories about his little gang. Isn't that right, you son of a whore?"

"FUCK OFF!"

A solid fist to his face to shut him up, and the sickening crunch of a jaw dislodging rang out across the room, and the whole tavern quieted down. Ellemere didn't notice. "What should we do with him, little priestess? You're the one that got hassled in this whole affair."

The young priestess winced as the enormous drunkard towered above her and raised his hand, causing her to drop the tankard she held, only to have it land in a splash onto the wooden floorboards below, spilling the liquid everywhere. Her small shoulders hunched together and she clutched her staff with both hands instinctively; she'd not been trained in any aspect of combat, she was just terrified. Just as it seemed all was lost, the sharp blade of the dagger pierced the hand that threatened her.

Amore let out a girlish scream as the hand was impaled, spattering her pristine white robes with droplets of blood. Little did she know that they would be just a few of many; her garments would be stained with blood, sweat and tears before her journey was even close to complete. The girl leapt back as Ellemere skewered the man's hand to the wooden table; a stream of whimpers poured forth from the teenager, her dainty body visibly shaking. Amorellia had never seen true violence before; she'd hardly even seen any blood, and certainly nothing like this.

The youth was in a stupor, one caused by fear and panick, not by alchohol like the rest of the intoxicated patrons of the tavern. The only thing that snapped the girl out of her shock was the commanding but reassuring sound of Elle's voice. The knight certainly didn't have to say it more than once, and Amore quickly ducked behind the Draenei, finding a sense of safety there. The priestess let her staff fall against her shoulder as she brought her small hands up to either side of Ellemere's waist, gripping onto the cold plated siding of her cuirass like her life depended on it; in a way, it did. She leaned over, peeking out from the knight's side, much like a child would hide behind a parent.

Seeing the strong woman's fist drill into the man's jaw sent the young girl recoiling back behind Elle's back, a few seconds passing before she poked her head out yet again.

"I-I j-just want to get out of here," Amore said, stumbling over the words that were audibly laced with a thick layer of unease. "...please," the girl added, tears welling up at the corners of her eyes and threatening to pour forth. Her small hands tried to squeeze Ellemere's sides as a sort of comfort, even if there were no way that the Draenei would feel it through her armor.

The girl didn't waste any time in jumping behind her, girlish screams and whimpers streaming out of her mouth like water from a fountain. Elle's golden eyes didn't fail to notice that Amorellia's body was visibly shaking under those thick robes and that her eyes were practically alight with fear and apprehension. If she were any other, Ellemere would've told her to shut up, but as it were, she was the priestess that both Corbin and the Ordo Lucis had entrusted her with, and she was a girl not much more than a teen to boot, so she kept her lips seen shut for now. How old was she actually? She would have to ask soon or later, when they weren't dealing with lowlife mongrels. Besides, she felt sorry for her, guilty even, for having unknowingly brought her into this. Forcing out an apology from the man beneath them was the least she could do for her. Elle visibly scrunched her nose at the blonde's answer, both at her weak tone a d the fact that she didn't want retribution from a man who would've slammed her head into a wall and fucked her like a worthless whore, but then again, it was her choice. And... was she holding onto her?

"Hear that, you worthless dog? The lady doesn't want me to hurt you. What a kind, noble woman. Now what do you do when you're shown mercy, lowlife? You apologise." He tried to say something from underneath her, but his broken jaw and the Draenei's quick reflexes made sure not another vile word came out of his mouth.

"I said, fucking apologise." She twisted the dagger a bit more to get her point across, and the man gave a blood-curdling scream before quieting down, sobbing quietly to himself.

"I-I'm shorry..." he whimpered, not even daring to look at the pair anymore, and Elle smiled in satisfaction.

"Good. Now you're going to tell me where Kaydwen and the rest of your motley crew are holed up in Grey Harbor, so I can go give them a friendly chat." He was silent for a long while, but the smallest twist of the knife was enough to get him singing.

"T-the inn beside the old warehouse, on the shouth shide of the docks! Phlease, don't hurt me..."

"Anything more you want to tell us?

"No....?"

Another sock to the face.

"Arrghh!! Fuck! Fuck, you crazy bitch! Khaydwen's planning a raid on Winter Town tomorrow at duskfall! That's all I know, I swear on the Light!"

Ellemere almost wanted to laugh, tell him that the girl he was about to assault was the very harbinger of the Light and that his god would happily smite him into the afterlife if he had touched her, but she bit back the urge to do so. Instead, she pulled the dagger back from where it was skewered to the table, releasing the man's hand and letting blood gush out in the process, leaving him groaning and sobbing pathetically. Ellemere held only a look of disgust for him, and her alert eyes immediately whipped to all the tavern patrons who were now staring at her in awe, shock and fear. "What are you all looking at? Go back to your fucking drinks, all of you!" her voice boomed, and they scurried to do as she was told, the bard restarting the music, the chatter resuming uncomfortably, while the barkeep simply rolled his eyes and started to clean up the bloody mess. Taking out a coin from her belt, she tossed it over the table, sparing the whimpering man one last glance, as if she was paying some cheap whore, like he had tried to treat the young priestess. "For your troubles."

Then with a swift turn, she beckoned Amorellia to follow her out the door. "Come, little priestess." Once they were outside, away from the rabbles of the crowd, she turned to the blonde priestess with a look of worry and disdain, pursing her lips and folding her arms. "You really are a sheltered princess... alas, I apologise for dragging you into there. You were strong, trying to hold you own like that. Especially for someone as young as you... how old are you again?" She paused, facing skyward to see the second sun starting to set, the sky turning a very light orange and casting a homely glow on the otherwise dark and miserly Grey Harbor. "Hmm. It's getting a bit late. Perhaps it would be best if we journeyed forth to Winter Town tomorrow. Are you hungry? My home is not far from here."

The little priestess clung to her protector closely, barely able to watch the scene unfold. She winced, almost shutting her eyes as she watched the knight practically torture the man to get the answers she was seeking. "P-please, Ellemere..." the girl pled meekly, but it was no use. Her voice was too soft and shaky to be heard, her tugs could not be felt on the platemail, and the Draenei seemed to be too caught up in the whole ordeal. Amorellia wondered if Ellemere was doing this to protect her, or if she gleaned a sadistic pleasure out of it.

The youth couldn't watch anymore. She stepped in close to the Draenei, shutting her eyes tightly as she pressed in against the woman's back; trying to shut everyone and everything out. 'I'm not ready for this.'

The teenager only opened her eyes when Ellemere had released her blade from the man's hand. She looked up at the towering knight, watching in awe as she seemed to command the whole room with ease. It took no convincing for Amore to follow the Draenei, scurrying to keep closely in tow as they walked, nearly tripping over her sabatons.

Once outside, the girl stopped as the knight turned to her. Tears tore at the corners of her blue eyes, but she fought them back, wiping them away with the sleeve of her robes and a sniffle. She wanted to close to the distance between the two, to huddle up close to Ellemere, where she felt safe; but the look on the woman's face and her folded arms warned her off.

"I-I'm sorry," Amorellia said with a weak voice. "I-I'll be better next time," she said, straightening herself up and trying to compose herself. She didn't know how Ellemere did it - maintain her composure and even command respect in situations like that. Maybe she could learn.

"I-I'm fifteen, My Lady," she responded shyly, waiting to see what her reaction was to be. 'Doesn't she already know this?' "I know I'm young, I-I'm sorry for being a burden," she admitted. That's what she felt like she was, a burden, a curse that Ellemere had to carry on her shoulders.

"Yes, anywhere is better than here," the priestess answered, offering a weak but sincere smile. "U-uhm, does your home... smell like it does here?" she asked curiously, looking up at the Draenei with big blue eyes as she moved to follow her.

Ellemere felt her frustration and anger melt away the moment she turned to see Amorellia furiously wiping away her tears with her sleeves. It was hard not to, seeing such a pure innocent thing break down like this, but such was the way of life. If she hadn't face something like this now, she would inevitably do when she is older, and by then the knight would not be around to protect her. Still, the inevitability of the situation did not mean she had to be cruel, and hearing her meek, shaky voice awoke something inside Ellemere— a fierce, almost maternal desire to protect the little priestess and hold her close in her arms.

She did not do that, of course. Instead, she leaned forward, somewhat reducing the disparity in their statures, and reached over with plated gauntlets to gently pull her hands away and wipe the streaks of gleaming tears that had fallen across her rosy cheeks. "Good. And there is nothing to be sorry for," she reassured her, letting out a tired sigh herself. What was she going to do with her? Just the first few hours of traveling together and she was already in tears... but Elle couldn't just abandon her on the streets or send her back to the Cathedral. The knight ever even entertained the idea of siring children or fostering squires, but it seemed she would be thrust into maternal duties without even asking for them. And here she was, thinking life couldn't throw any more twists her way.

"You're fifteen?" Elle gawked, eyebrows rising so high they might as well disappear right into her curved horns. "Fifteen. That's... a third of my age." She suddenly felt old, and not in a good way, as if she were experienced and battle-hardened. No, she felt old. "Yes, you are young, and yes, you are... somewhat of a burden, but you do not need to be sorry. I am here with you because my Lord and your priests deemed me fit to protect you. And that is exactly what I will do." Her lips curled up into a smile, the lines on her face fading with the youthful grin, and in a rare show of warmth and affection, she gently ruffled the girl's blonde locks, messing up her already disheveled hair with a chuckle.

"Yes, I suppose anywhere is better than here." By the Light, she has a beautiful smile, and gorgeous azure eyes to boot. "I remember thinking the very same thing as I grew up. Come, it is not far..." she trailed off, starting to make the familiar trek towards home, but then she whipped back with a fury at Amorellia's question. "Do you truly think I piss and shit and vomit all over the floor in my own home?" she asked dryly, not making it clear if she was asking a rhetorical question or an eerily genuine one. Incensed, Ellemere just stared at her a while, a small part of her enjoying how the petite priestess squirmed, before finally breaking with a resolute "No, it does not." They must've been quite a sight, a small, shaking priestess with bloodstains on her white robes, and a horned armor-clad figure standing over her.

"I don't know whether you have a twisted sense of humor or you're just clueless about the intricacies of conversation. If you were wondering— no, I will not make you sleep in the dirt. You will have a warm bed and nice bath, and a hearty dinner. You can even have my bed if you like. It'll be just like another day in the Cathedral, treated like the princess you are," she drawled sarcastically, moving forward without a glance, expecting her to follow. "Happy, Little Light?"

12ec3ba10e87a7b88480c66885173282.jpg
Ellemere's two-story abode and the compound surrounding it were situated on the nicer part of Grey Town, which can be roughly translated to the lowest dregs of Summercourt. Northside of the district, a small part of the coast where there was no harbor for ships to dock, only a selection of small homes dotted here and there for the rich folk of Grey Harbor. Land was dirt cheap here, so Ellemere took advantage of it when Corbin knighted her, spending most of the wealth she'd accumulated fighting in the war and adventuring to build a nice, spacious home in Grey Harbor rather than buy a congested apartment in Summercourt or gods forbid, outside city walls in Winter Town.

The air became noticeably cleaner as they left the seediest part of the district, mixing with the salty sea air for a breath of fresh air. Less filth, fewer smells, fewer people. The quaint, peaceful ambiance of the place was what attracted Ellemere to it in the first place; she'd spent a lifetime waking up in noisy taverns and noisy war camps. She wasn't going to spend her life doing the same, or else she might go mad. "Not as fancy as your Grand Cathedral, perhaps. Still, welcome to the Tragondar home, Amorellia. Or as the locals like to call it, the Ram's Rest."

The knight lived with a retainer, an old Draenei woman who had practically raised her before Lord Westerly found her and took her in. Isnii was more of a mother to her than her actual mother, despite the fact that they were both whores at the Maiden's Spear. They had lost contact after Elle was taken away, but reconnected like old friends when Elle came back decades later, fully grown and sporting proud scars of war. She was only too happy to offer Isnii a much easier life in her home when she decided to settle down. She just wished the old hag would stop nagging her so much like she was still a little girl. The chestnut gates opened before she even had the chance to knock, Isnii probably having seen her coming from a mile away, and the pair of them were greeted with a pale white Draenei with wrinkled skin and brittle white hair, a bit hunched over and smiling sweetly at them.

"And who might this lovely girl be?" she asked in her (grand)motherly tone, giving Amorellia a toothy smile with half her teeth missing, and a straight ugly scar right across her right eye, where she was blind. A gift from a particularly generous patron when she was a young woman.

"Isnii, this is Amorellia, a priestess of Light that will be accompanying me for a while. Amorellia, this is Isnii, my mother."

"I'm just her retainer, dear. Don't mind her, she tends to be cranky when there isn't food in her mouth."

Ellemere gritted her teeth and rolled her eyes in response, though it was more out of affection rather than exasperation, and waved a hand at the blonde girl, as if telling her to go run off on her own. "Isnii will show you to your room and draw you a bath, if need be. I will be in the room next door. Dinner will be in...?" she glanced at her retainer for the answer.

"Two hours."

"Two hours," she repeated. "Hmm, perhaps you could join me if you are not ready to retire. Do you like horses, priestess? I do not have cats for you to play with, but I do have my Stallion Hornstrider," she said, gesturing to the stables with her chin, where a beautiful snow-white stallion was dozing around aimlessly, obviously bored from the lack of action. "He's a bit old now, but he still pulls his weight when we ride."

The little priestess felt tiny next to the knight that always towered over her, and when Elle leaned down towards her, she didn't know how to react. She tried not to wince as the plated hand reached toward her. 'I have to be strong.' But instead of chiding or even striking her, the hand seemed to gently wipe away the tears that had stained her youthful cheeks. The steel of the gauntlets were cold, but for some reason the tenderness of the touch made it seem warm. The tiniest of smiles forced its way through the girl's lips.

The Draenei didn't look old to her. Older, certainly, but everyone was older than Amore. The only thing that made the Draenei seem aged to the teen was the scars that she bore; not the ones from battle, but the ones she carried on the inside. The girl didn't know what they were, but she knew they were there, and that they ran deep. The Light had never taught her how to heal those wounds.

'To protect you. And that is exactly what I will do.' The words echoed throughout Amorellia's mind, bouncing off of thoughts of fear and doubt and seemingly knocking them away, just like Elle had done to that drunkard. Until just a few minutes ago the priestess wouldn't have believed it, but when she needed her most, Ellemere was there for her without hesitation. The teenager looked up at her protector, and when the smile crept across the woman's lips, her own grin grew to match. She winced, closing one eye while the other was kept just barely open as that heavy hand ruffled her hair, sending her hood falling back to her shoulders. It felt nice.

'Better not try to make any more jokes," Amore thought to herself at the Draenei's reaction to her poor attempt at humor.

The girl followed the knight in tow, smiling eagerly as she described her abode. The smile turned into a bit of a frown at the sarcastic comment. "I'm not a princess," she said, furrowing her brows at the woman. 'Little Light.' The youth didn't know if the name was meant sarcastically, but it made her feel warm inside. She liked it. 'Little Light.'

Amore's jaw dropped a bit as they arrived at Ellemere's home; it was not at all what she expected. With the way the Draenei had carried herself in The Maiden's Spear, the priestess half thought that she might just have a permanent room there; maybe even a permanent girl. Or girls. But the compound was nothing like that, it was nice. The sheltered youth had no sense of what normal folks' homes were like, and to her the Ram's Rest almost seemed grand.

"It's wonderful," she said as they entered the gate, dragging her small hand along the aged oak of the large doors. Elle may have thought it to be sarcastic, but the curious wonder that shone in the girl's eyes as they darted about, taking in her surroundings, would prove otherwise.

Amorellia offered a small bow as the elder Draenei greeted her, smiling brightly at the warm welcome she received. It was a stark contrast to the one that the knight had given her, but the girl wouldn't dare mention that. She knew better than to speak when her elders were conversing, but a charming giggle escaped the priestess's lips at Isnii's comment about Ellemere, and another at the younger Draenei's reaction. Maybe she wasn't so bad after all.

"H-horses?" the teen repeated mindlessly, looking up at the woman, her pupils dilated as if she were a newborn puppy trying to get attention. Amore had never seen a horse; only read about them, how they roamed the fields in their majesty, and how gallant knights rode them into battle. Truth be told, the priestess had hardly seen any animals. The girl's gaze followed the indication that Ellemere made with her chin, saw the horse and... squeaked. That would be the most accurate description of what the young one did when she saw the real, live horse.

Amorellia scurried over to the stables, leaving her protector in the dust without a care. She could hear Isnii's chuckle at her, and could only imagine that Ellemere was sighing and shaking her head. She stopped short of the beast, clutching her staff tight as she gazed up in awe. It was so tall, how could anyone even get up on that? The girl took in every detail of Hornstrider, as if she were studying a painting. She looked at his powerful flank and wondered if he could kick as hard as Ellemere could.

When Elle finally caught up to her she was greeted by an endless torrent of questions. What's a saddle? What is all the hay for? Are all horses white? After many minutes, and an even greater number of questions that probably drove the Draenei to madness, Amore meandered away from the stables, exploring the compound. Turning a corner she found a chicken coop, one with actual chickens in it. She squatted down by the wired fencing, studying the animals closely. Fixated on the birds, she unleashed another unending assault of queries on the woman.

Minutes later, another spot of Ram's Rest, and another million questions. And another. And another. Unlike their tour through Summercourt, it seemed like Elle didn't mind taking the time; or at least, she didn't show it if she did.

It wasn't long before the two hours were up, and Isnii shouted from the house that dinner was ready. The pair hadn't even finished exploring the entire compound, but Amore walked over and stood beside Ellemere, waiting for her to lead the way. "Thank you," she said meekly, beaming up at the knight. "For being patient with me." It was obvious that the Draenei was going to great effort to help the priestess, and she knew that she would have to reach out as well.

Truth to be told, Ellemere hadn't expected a great reaction out of the priestess for her home, so it came as a (somewhat) pleasant surprise when the girl mentioned that it was wonderful, running her delicate hands along the wooden doors as if they were some artistic treasure. The Draenei bit back the desire to inform her she carved the wood and welded the door for these gates herself. And if she had any doubts about her sincerity about her amazement, they were wiped away when the girl practically bolted to Hornstrider like an over-excited little girl, leaving Elle and Isnii in a trail of dust. Then again, she supposed, an over-excited little girl was exactly what she was.

The older Draenei simply chuckled at the girl, her lone eye squinting as she did so, while the younger one simply shook her head, more out of annoyed affection than anything. It was strange, how the girl managed to grow on her after just a day of traveling. Perhaps it was the incident at the tavern that stoked the sparks of the feelings— this desire to protect her from harm. "You were like her before you were given to Lord Westerly," Isnii chuckled wistfully, hands clasped behind her back. "I wasn't this excited about seeing a horse," Elle rebutted, taking off her gauntlets with care so she could move around freely in her own home. "No, because you grew up tending to them. But you had the same reaction as her when the good Lord offered to let you hold his greatsword."

At this, Elle couldn't help but smile. She remembered the memory vividly, as if it were yesterday. The sword was taller than her, and it was so heavy she needed all her strength just to lift it a few inches off the ground. Lord Westerly laughed and held it up in one hand, seemingly unaffected by its weight. He had seemed giant then, as he still was in her mind. The sword she wore strapped to her back was a detailed copy of the Westerly heirloom sword, forged for her so she wouldn't be left behind Corbin. It was even named to echo the original— hers was Vindication, while Corbin's was Judgement. She got to work removing her armor right in the courtyard, with Isnii moving the pieces to the armory for display while she polishes and cleans them off, the woman much stronger than her frail appearance might suggest. Her plated cuirass, chain dress, greaves, sabatons, gauntlets, pauldrons, the greatsword Vindication, they all came off to reveal a woman that was scarred in nearly every part of her body. She wore a simple white tunic and matching breeches, leaving her strong, muscular arms exposed, and one could see little scars crisscrossing on her limbs if they looked closed enough. There were larger, more prominent scars on her back and chest, but those were not on display, for now. Though she would be lying if she said she wasn't dying to get out of these clothes and have a nice bath— wearing plate armor all day was a sweaty affair.

Alas, she had Amorellia to attend to, and she couldn't possibly leave poor Isnii to deal with her in good conscience. In lazy, comfortable strides she walked over to where Hornstrider was being pestered by the girl, though the beast seemed to be enjoying the attention more than anything. Ellemere wasn't exactly prepared for the barrage of questions that greeted her before she was even there, though she tried to answer them patiently, as strange as some of those might be. She was way more relaxed here in her home, and had no qualms with letting Amorellia take her time. The only worry she had was that her sweaty musk might reach the girl's nostrils and that she would get some witty remark about her odor.

"A saddle's for riding. The horse feeds on the hay. No, not all horses are white. No, he doesn't have a wife. Yes, I named him Hornstrider because it was a fearsome name. He doesn't really have a horn. No, he isn't a unicorn. If you behave, I'll consider letting you ride him." The horse was only the start, it seemed, because the priestess then jumped to the chicken, then to the vegetable patches, then to the two sleeping guard hounds that Isnii took in as pups. "They're called Austra and Borea. Don't get too close to them, they are not very friendly towards— oh, never mind." The dogs were already rolling around in the mud asking for pets from the blonde girl. Elle shook her head with a smile. Why do they never act this friendly with her?

And before she had realized, two hours had gone by, and Elle only noticed when Isnii called them to dinner, like a mother calls her children in from playing on the streets. Amorellia came to stand beside her, and for a moment, she found herself beaming back at the girl without even thinking. "My pleasure, Little Light," she said, leading her into the main house, made of brick and painted pale and turned yellow after wind. "It is endearing to see someone be happy to be here." They entered the foyer and the adjoined armory, which held all her weapons, armor and trophies on display, most prominently the taxidermied heads of beasts she had slain over the years lining the walls, which included griffons, chimeras (that one was a 3 for 1 deal), gorgons, vampires, and much more. Elle glanced at Amorellia as they passed through, curious about her reaction to such a display, and then turned left into the main dining hall, where the smell of delicious hearty food greeted them like an old lover. "Go help Isnii with whatever she needs," Elle told her softly. "I'll set up the plates and cutlery."

'Little Light.' She felt warm inside.

Those bright blue eyes continued to gaze in wide-eyed wonder as the young priestess entered the house. She ran her small, delicate hands across each different texture - exposed brick, aged wood, painted surfaces. Everything in the Grand Cathedral was made of limestone, but everything here was so fascinatingly new. Upon entering the armory Amore gazed at every piece of armor and weaponry that Ellemere had on display. She had a hundred questions about each one of them and longed to study them for hours, but she knew that dinner awaited. As she turned her head she saw the heads of the beasts mounted high on the walls.

'...where did you get - "

"Trophies of some of the creatures I've slain," the Draenei responded matter-of-factly before the teenager could even finish her question. A million more questions popped into the girl's mind, as did a myriad of fantasies of the knight riding into battle, fighting off and slaying such horrific creatures. But the questions would have to wait.

As the youth followed the woman into the dining hall, a strong smell assaulted her nose. A new smell, something that she didn't recognize. It filled the air and made her stomach rumble.

"W-what is that smell?" Amore asked.

The Draenei raised a curious eyebrow. "You mean the dinner?"

"Dinner?" the girl repeated, standing there slack jawed and practically drooling. She'd never smelled something so enticing, so delicious. The meals that the Order served were as barebones as the décor of the Cathedral. Most of the time an unseasoned porridge was portioned with dry bread, and, if you were lucky, possibly some terribly overcooked chicken. Good food, like any luxury, was merely a distraction from the studies of the Light, as the high priests would say.

Amorellia rushed towards the source of the aroma before the knight could even finish telling her to go help prepare the meal. She stopped in the doorway of the kitchen. As part of the her duties of the Order, she had helped prepare and serve meals; but this, this was something else. The image that she saw reminded her of what she imagined kings ate at their great balls and feasts. There was so much color to the food; yellow, green, red, not just brown and grey. Different smells overloaded her olfactory senses, prompting her to step inside and enjoy the aroma of every different dish that Isnii had made. The girl was in a trance, and the only thing that brought her out was when she accidentally bumped into the elder Draenei's back.

"I-I'm sorry!" Amore said emphatically, offering a bow as her always rosy cheeks blushed even more. "Ellemere told me to come and help you, what can I do?" she asked as she looked up at the matronly woman.

"Ah, good! The meal is almost ready, but why don't you go and salt those potatoes over there?"

"...salt?" the priestess asked blankly.

"Oh dear! Don't tell me you don't know what salt is little one? What are they doing to you children over there at the Order?" Isnii couldn't help but chuckle at the girl, offering a comforting smile. She took the teenager by the arm, leading her to the counter where a bowl of boiled potatoes were resting.

"This here is salt, young one," the Draenei said, sliding over a small hand-carved wooden bowl toward the girl. "You use it to season other foods. Go ahead, try a little."

Amore peered down into the bowl, seeing an endless number of tiny white crystals, like grains of sand on the beach. She reached in with her index and middle finger, carefully pinching a small bit of it and dropping it on her tongue. "Mmmmmm..." the girl couldn't help but let out, smacking and licking her lips in a rather undignified manner, as the foreign but delicious taste filled her mouth.

Isnii looked on with a serene smile, a hand on the girl's shoulder. But before the Draenei could warn or stop her, Amore had taken a much too large pinch of salt and dropped it onto her tongue. "Bleh!" the universal and instinctive reaction poured out of the teen, just like the tongue that fell out of her mouth.

Isnii couldn't help but laugh at the girl's naivety, lifting her hand off of her shoulder and gently patting her golden crown atop her head. "All things in proper measure, dear. Too much, or too little, and it's ruined! Remember that, and not just about food." The Draenei went on to show the priestess how to properly season the potatoes, before letting her do the rest. "And do the same to those vegetables over there too!"

-x-

Heus! Elucescite!
Noli sinis aliquid tenderent vos
Ego tibi ex ad Lucem
Lux ducet vestra semita
Nolite aberres

Hark! Shine forth!
Do not allow anything to distract you
From your service to the Light
The Light will lead your path
Do not stray

Ordo Lucis - Compendium of Precepts Volume II, Index 2, Entry 26

-x-​

It was only a few minutes later that Amore and Isnii carried out the bowls, dishes and plates of hearty, homecooked food, setting them down on the table. The priestess waited until everything had been served before she took her seat, carefully sliding her chair in. The Order had their own rules on how meals should be eaten, so Amorellia folded her hands neatly in her lap, smiling eagerly as she waited to take her cue from the Draenei.

Ellemere was left bemused and shaking her head as the girl once again bounded off before she could finish talking. Overexcited little bee. The Draenei often did not have patience for the likes of her, but she would be lying if her antics weren't endearing to her jaded heart. Not many viewed the world with such pureness and innocence as her, and Elle would be hard-pressed to find someone that gets as excited about horses and food as the little priestess. A small affectionate crept up to her lips, her golden eyes gazing after her blonde locks and petite frame until she disappeared into the kitchen, undoubtedly to go give Isnii a headache. The older woman was much better with dealing with children though; if she could handle little Elle, she was more than capable of handling Amorellia.

Left alone in the dining hall, the knight took a moment to stretch and crack her joints, letting out a satisfied groan as the tension left her body, having stood outside for nearly two hours giving Amorellia the grand tour of the Ram's Rest and the many animals inhabiting it. Funny how there weren't any actual rams in her home, she mused as she went to light the hearthfire. Perhaps she should get a pet goat soon. Draenei horns weren't even really curved - only Ellemere was blessed with such a look. The logs were thrown in, the flames were stoked, then fanned-- the ashen-haired woman went about the motions, having done this countless times before, as Isnii often needed help with setting things up due to her age. Beautiful ceramic plates and embroidered silver cutlery, the full set a gift from one of the nobles in the land to the east, were brought out and carefully laid down, along with napkins and wine glasses, and pitchers of water and wine, to satisfy any urges that may come up during the meal.

Isnii and Amorellia came out not long after she was done, carrying bowls of colorful food that were mouthwatering in every sense of the word, in both smell and look. Sauteed vegetables cooked and seasoned to perfection, an array of meats marinated and grilled by Isnii's expert hands, puff pastries and fruits, desserts, and many more. It looked like a king's feast although it was only meant to feed three, and even Corbin himself had admitted that the old Draenei's cooking was second to none. Isnii often interjected by saying that neither was her ass when she was a young woman, but that is embarrassing and unrelated to the subject of food.

With all of them seated, Elle gave Isnii a small nod of appreciation, which was returned, then picked up her fork and knife to dig in, only to notice Amorellia was sitting stiff, albeit with a smile on her face, presumably waiting for her permission. "There is no special ceremony to stand on, little priestess," Elle said with a smile, gesturing to the many bowls of food with a tilt of her chin. "Eat as much as you desire. Isnii tends to give leftovers away to workers from the docks, but it is no worry if we finish everything tonight."

And so dinner began, Ellemere opening the affair by taking a slab of grilled chicken into her plate and taking a hearty chunk out of it, damn near moaning as the juicy, tender meat kissed her tongue. She had not realized she had been fasting the whole day, with getting to Corbin and the Ordo Lucis and all, and hungrily wolfed down bite after bite with abandon, taking sizable gulps of wine in-between to help push down the food. Amorellia seemed to have questions about the trophies in her armory, which she was only too happy to answer.

"That's the battleax of the Orc war chief who raided villages along the eastern border of Valendia for months before he was finally put down. Lord Corbin, I, and some of his men tracked him and his tribe down near the edge of the Whisperwoods. I slew him after a long duel-- a good clean cut across his torso. He gave me this scar," she said, pulling down the curved neckline of her white shirt to reveal a cut under her clavicle, displaying it with pride. "His name was... Urbokk, I think. And the ax's name is Stormrender, if I remember his battle cries correctly. 'I will rend you apart like I do the storms!' he yelled, right before I cut him in half."

She took a sip of her wine, her third cup of the hour, to refuel her tongue for more war stories. "Have you drunk wine before, Amorellia?" she asked, reaching over to fill the girl's chalice with alcohol. "Here, try it. There is no one here to chastise you for indulging in simple pleasures," she urged with a warm smile.

The priestess sat there silently, her bright eyes gazing at the endless bowls of food, working hard to not drool at the presentation of the meal. She offered a slight nod of her head as Ellemere gave her the go ahead to partake, but she still watched the two women for a moment, trying to see if there were any customs they had that she should mimic. She had just finished filling her plate when the two Draenei began conversing. Amore's ears perked up, as did her eyebrows; no speaking was allowed during any meal in the halls of the Grand Cathedral. The only sound one heard was the wet smacking of soppy porridge and the crackle of breaking dry, stale bread. But here, there were voices. Eager voices, happy voices. The young girl beamed brightly as she listened intently into the conversation, wondering if this is how a normal family had dinner.

Amorellia mimicked Ellemere, carefully cutting into the roasted chicken first and spearing it with her fork, bringing it to her lips. As soon as the meat touched her tongue, the teenager was in heaven. Her eyelids flickered shut and she relaxed back into her chair, chewing the savory poultry as the flavor filled her mouth. She'd never tasted anything so good, and she mindlessly let out a moan. A loud moan. Loud enough that when she opened her eyes both of the Draenei had stopped moving and were staring at her. She gazed back at them, feeling her youthful cheeks glow crimson for a moment, before both of the women laughed at her reaction. Loud, hearty, belly laughs. Blushing wildly, Amore sat back up sheepishly, but a soft giggle escaped her lips. "S-shorry," she said, before she realized she had spoken with food in her mouth. She covered the lower half of face with her hands embarrassedly at the whole ordeal, which only evoked another laugh from the pair of women.

Amore began to methodically try every different dish that was served on the table, and each one sent the girl into a happy little trance. "What's this?" she would ask, pointing at something with her fork.

"Those are roasted peppers dear," Isnii said.

"And this?"

"Ahh, that's wild boar. It tastes much better than it sounds, trust me!" the grandmotherly Draenei replied.

On and on it went, with Amore interrogating the elder woman about every single dish on the table, tasting them, and smiling brightly. What the girl wouldn't notice was the smile on Ellemere's face as she watched the two go back and forth.

Amorellia finished her plate of food and licked her lips, smacking them happily. She sat there, her blue gaze still panning across the sea of cuisine that floated before her.

"What are you waiting for little one, have some more," Isnii said, reaching over and shoveling some of the salad onto her plate.

"I-I can have more?" the priestess asked. 'All things in good measure. Learn to be satisfied with less,' the priests at the Cathedral would say. The teenager looked over to Elle, as if wanting a second opinion to make sure it was really okay. As soon as that slight nod came from the woman, Amore sprung into action, refilling her plate. Everything looked so wonderful, smelled so amazing, and tasted so fantastic. The girl began to shovel food into her mouth as if she'd never eaten in her entire life. It wasn't long before the conversation between the two Draenei had stopped, and they both sat there watching her, wondering where in that petite frame all of that fare was disappearing.

Maybe it was the company, maybe it was the wine, or maybe it was the fact that she was in her own home, but Ellemere seemed more talkative than she had during the day. The priestess began to grill the woman about every piece of armor that she had walked by earlier, listening intently as the replies and stories flowed forth. She only wished that she had a quill and some parchment; tales like this needed to be chronicled. Amore gazed hesitantly as the Draenei showed off the scar, noticing how so much of her skin was littered with other scars, cuts and bruises.

"The order has wine as part of some ceremonies," the priestess answered. "But I've never tried any..." She took the goblet into her hand and looked down into it, inspecting the crimson sea of dark liquid. It had a strong aroma, and the girl furrowed her nose as she smelled it. She gently lifted the cup to her lips and took a small sip. The alcohol sent a shudder through her shoulders, and her lips puckered just a bit. "I-it's... very dry?" she said quizzically as the wine left her tongue wanting. 'I didn't think drinks were supposed to make you more thirsty.'

"Ahm, Ellem - My Lady, will you tell me about your sword? I've read stories about knights who name their swords, and, I just figured, maybe you did too," Amore asked, sitting up in her chair with her chalice held carefully in both of her small hands. Her plate was littered with half eaten desserts and fruits; the youth had to make sure she tried everything. She had decided that dessert was the best part of the meal, and wondered why the whole meal wasn't just dessert.

Ellemere was indeed wondering where the food was going in that petite little frame of the priestess, perhaps even impressed as the golden eyes followed Amorellia's movements as she wolfed down plate after plate of food. She glanced over to Isnii, who shrugged and continued to entertain the teenager by answering all her queries, obviously delighted to have someone who cherishes her cooking, in contrast to the usually sour younger Draenei. The funny thing was, she remembered herself doing the same thing the night Lord Edwin took her into his home - eating like it was her last day on earth, when it was in fact the beginning of a whole new life. Perhaps she wouldn't have as big an impact on the blonde girl as the good lord had on her, but the similarities were clear, and to Elle's surprise, she found herself smiling affectionately with stirrings of warmth in her chest.

"Yes, it's very dry," she answered laughingly, downing her own goblet with the practised ease of a seasoned drunkard. "It's supposed to entice you into drinking more. I suppose I should be telling you to limit yourself, but considering this is your first time actually leaving the Temple of Light... well, a few drinks never hurt anyone, right?" Promptly giving her permission, the knight went back to enjoying her venison, though Isnii quickly perked up, ready to rein in the two like a bunch of unruly children. "You'd think a knighted woman well into her forties would be more responsible..." Elle stared daggers at the elder woman at that. "Don't feel pressured, dear. Drink only as much as you want. She's right that you should enjoy the simple pleasures of life, but everything should be taken in moderation."

Having heard plenty of this spiel her whole life growing up, Elle groaned good-naturedly. But, the conversation soon shifted to her sword, and the warrior was only too happy to elaborate on the matter. "Of course, Amorellia. The sword's name is Vindication. It's a mirror image of the Westerly heirloom sword, Judgement. I do not know if you already know any of this, but Lord Corbin Westerly and I, the lord to whom I am pledged to, we grew up together. His father, Lord Edwin, bought me from my mother when he caught me picking his pocket in Grey Harbour." She paused, realising the gravity of the information she had given. "My mother was a whore at the Maiden's Spear," she added. "And so was I," Isnii added, the scars of the past still visible on her face, both in the sadness of her voice and her lone eye, and the ugly slash across her blind one. Nodding gravely, Elle continued. "I thought he would put me to use as a servant girl, or worse, but he instead raised me as his own daughter alongside his son. He taught me the way of the sword... and on my sixteenth birthday, he gave me a replica of the very sword he wields to signify my status as his adoptive daughter. He... I owe him everything. And so I serve his family to this day, and until the day I die. I named the sword to echo the original to remind myself of my debt to the Westerlys."

Only after she had finished did Elle realise her voice has gotten soft and emotional, eyes glistening and misty, though she quickly blinked the tears away and laughed it off nonchalantly. "Anyway... that's the story of the sword. Perhaps it is not a terribly epic tale, but it's one that's close to my heart." Uncomfortable with laying her feelings out in the open, the knight quickly moved onto other matters, and stood up from the dining table, having finished her meal and desserts. "Well, I think I'm going to turn in for the night. Feel free to keep on eating as much as you want, Little Light. I don't think Isnii will complain." "I'll even make another batch of chocolate cake for you if you want, little one," the pale white elder woman quipped sweetly.

Cracking her knuckles against her neck, she groaned and stretched, her tunic riding up to reveal her well-sculpted abdomen, lined with scars like the rest of her body. With a lazy, contented smile, she padded over to the young priestess and gently patted her head, as a parent might say goodnight to a child before going to bed. "I don't usually sleep before midnight, so don't be afraid to bother me if you need anything. I know I was a bit... well, a bit of a callous arse today. I'm not usually like that, I promise. Goodnight, Amorellia. Isnii." With that, the Draenei walked up the stairs and disappeared out of sight, leaving the girl alone with the other Draenei. "I do hope she's been kind to you, little one," she breathed tiredly as she looked at the blonde with a small smile, chin supported on a hand. "Elle has a habit of pushing people away when she needs them the most. She's immature in that way, I suppose... afraid of attachment. And I can already see she's quite fond of you."

The little priestess sat up in her chair as she peered down into her chalice, staring at the deep crimson liquid from which a strong smell emanated. She looked up as Ellemere gave her permission to partake in more, and lifted the cup to her lips. Just as she was about to take a sip, Isnii warned her to drink it only in moderation. Amorellia looked back and forth, back and forth between the two Draenei, as if this decision would decide the fate of the world. She furrowed her nose, her cheeks blushing as the flustered girl didn’t know what to do. ‘Maybe I’ll just finish this cup,’ she thought to herself before taking a small sip. Again the wine left her tongue parched and wanting, smacking her lips a bit as she felt the warmth of the alcohol spread through her small frame.

Those azure eyes grew wide as the youth began to listen to the knight as she spoke about her sword. The girl could quickly tell that the weapon represented a great deal of pride for Ellemere, as well as wistful memories of her youth and the cruel hand of cards that the world had dealt her. It wasn’t long before Amorellia’s goblet was set aside, while the girl leaned her elbows on the table and rested her chin in her hands, listening intently as the knight’s tale enraptured her. She pursed her lips as the picture of little Ellemere played in her mind, wishing that she could give her a hug and protect her, just like big Ellemere had done for her earlier that day. While the priestess had a million more questions, she saw the glimmer in the Draenei’s eyes and thought it best to remain silent.

The priestess watched as Ellemere stood up and stretched, noticing that even her midriff was adorned with scars. While the woman seemed to pay the wounds no mind, they didn’t sit well with Amore and caused her brows to furrow - they reminded her of the somber story that she had just been told. But any thoughts of melancholy were shooed away as she felt the knight’s heavy hand patting her head, looking up and regarding the woman with a smile. “Good night,” the young priestess responded with a slight nod of her head. She watched as Ellemere disappeared up the steps, before turning back toward Isnii. The girl blushed slightly at the comment that the big bad Draenei was fond of her, chalking it up to Isnii being so matronly. “She kept me safe today,” she said, before regaling the elderly woman with the tale of the valorous knight and the drunk thug at the Maiden’s Spear.

Amorellia’s eyes widened at the thought of more dessert, but just as she was about to speak up she felt her stomach rumble. And heard it rumble, much to her chagrin. “A-ahm, m-maybe it’s best if I don’t ha-” the priestess’s words were interrupted by an unexpected and rather unlady-like burp, and she covered her mouth with both of her hands in embarrassment. She watched as the elderly Draenei burst into laughter, before letting out a much more impressive belch of her own. The young girl smiled and giggled, before the giggling turned into laughter, loud enough that Ellemere may have heard the commotion of the two through the floor upstairs.

“Thank you for the meal,” Amore said as she stood up, offering a bow to the woman. “Can I help you clean up?” she asked, picking up her plate and stacking it on top of Ellemere’s empty dish.

“These old bones would be very grateful if you did,” Isnii accepted with a toothy smile. The teen helped her carry all the dishes, bowls, plates and cups to the kitchen, where she helped the aging Draenei wash everything. While the pair worked, Isnii entertained the youth with stories of Ellemere’s past. Tales of how she would pretend that sticks were swords and squirrels were fearsome monsters that needed to be slain. Tales of how she would threaten the men that dared lay a hand on her mother in that brothel. Tales of how she barely escaped a life of servitude and abuse.

Having finished tidying up from dinner, Isnii said good night and sent the girl on her way. “Go and check in on Ellemere would you? It does her good for her to have some company.”

With a bow Amorellia took her leave, taking in more of the house as she ambled up the stairs. Once at the top, a light shone in through the window that ignited a spark in the youth’s eyes and sent her eagerly scurrying to Ellemere’s room. She stopped short of the door to compose herself, lest the Draenei chide her for being so overeager… again.

The priestess knocked on the heavy oak door three times, before leaning close against it, speaking softly in case she was already asleep. “A-ahm, Elle… My Lady, is it okay if I go outside? I’ve… never had a chance to see the moons,” she said sheepishly.

Life as a knight of the realm was hard. Life as a knight who came up from the gutters of Grey Harbour was even harder. Unlike the nobles that made up a large contingent of her peers, Ellemere was not afforded the luxury of gold gilded mansions and servant girls and scented, floral pools to wind down after a long day. Instead, she had the Ram's Rest, which, although it was much better than anyone abode one would find in Grey Harbour, could not compare to some of the homes that privileged folk of Summercourt lived in. Corbin's mansion was a good example. She had no pretty servant girls, she had Isnii. The Draenei would take the kind woman who practically raised her in her mother's stead over any random pretty thing, however. And for scented floral pools... well, she had to get creative.

All her life, she has led one that was akin to a man's, rather than a woman. Raised as a soldier, away from the cotton and flowers of the common girls and the jewels and silk of the noble ones. Her body was not feminine, far from it. Muscles and scars made for an intimidating sight, not to mention the strange lavender pigment of her skin, typical of the Draenei's unusual colouring. If not for her breasts and hips and somewhat feminine visage, one might even mistake her for a man if they saw her in full armour. And then... there was the matter of what lied between her legs - the cause of many hours of self-loathing and angst and dysphoria over her own body. Neither a man nor a woman, not a human, a sewer rat, life was not kind in dealing the cards to Ellemere. But still, she persevered, so perhaps that spoke something about the tenacity of her will. She'd come to terms with who she was now, of course. With age came experience, and experience told her to simply block out the voices of the unworthy. And to Ellemere's ears, the only ones worthy of her attention were Isnii and Corbin, and the late Lord Edwin when he was alive. Even the king could go die in a ditch for all she cared.

Having spent the whole day running errands for her old friend and babysitting the little priestess, Ellemere was absolutely winded. And having been deprived of her chance to shower before dinner, courtesy of Amorellia, she wasted no time in peeling out of her sweaty clothes and filling up the bathtub with warm water. Perhaps she didn't have scented pools with flowers and shit, but she was able to afford some simple luxuries in a good, warm, bath. As the water filled up, she carefully put in some lavender-scented soap mixed in with hints of patchouli and lemongrass. A lady needed her moments to feel pretty, after all. As per her normal routine, she stretched and massaged the knots out of her shoulders, fully in the nude, looking out over the sea from her window.

Her moment of tranquillity was interrupted when the loud belly laughs from below wafted to the top, startling the Draenei, who was in a very exposed position with her legs spread and bent over, her (wo)manhood hanging near her face. She snorted, imagining Isnii and Amorellia talking and laughing downstairs, probably gossiping about Elle herself. The older Draenei would appreciate having the young thing in her company, no doubt. Elle herself was easy to laugh and smile when she was a child, and perhaps the priestess reminded her of the little Elle... and the daughter she lost.

If Amorellia was as sweet as she appeared to be today, Ellemere would accept her as her ward and family without any hesitation. At the very least, she'd see her through this mission with the utmost care.

Done with her exercise, she sighed and slipped into the bath, closing her eyes contentedly as the warm water met her skin and soothed her aches. Smiling and humming slightly to herself, she began to scrub herself down from head to toe, massaging her scalp through her pale locks, reaching through the curls of her ram-like horns, enjoying the moment for the little pleasures of life. The knight took her sweet time, lying down in the tub and taking a small doze, arms on the rim on either side, holding her up. Perhaps she should visit the Maiden's Spear soon. How long has it been since she last had sex?

Before she could ruminate further on her non-existent sex life, a knock on her door snapped her out of her reverie, and her ears perked up as the little priestess's muffled voice came from the other side.

"Err, yes, Amorellia. But I think I should accompany you, since Isnii would be busy with cleaning up after dinner. Come in."

Elle showed no sign of embarrassment or modesty as the girl entered, thinking her body something to be proud of rather than to be ashamed, and tilted her head towards her bed to tell the blonde to go sit down. "I won't be long. I just need to wash up one last time and I'll be with you." She then rose from the tub with a splash, the water dripping down her muscular form, turning to face Amorellia in all her naked glory, her breasts and cock on display.

Her eyes narrowed as she took note of her attire. "Are you not going to bathe?" She quirked her eyebrows up mischievously. "Dirty girl."

“Come in.”

Amorellia opened the door, about to speak as she was greeted by the sight of the Draenei lying completely exposed in the bathtub. Her voice turned into a half-squeak-half-gasp, her rosy cheeks blossoming into a deep crimson. “I-I’m sorry!” But before she could scurry back out, Ellemere instructed her to sit and wait. She really regretted taking that oath now.

The flustered girl squinted her eyes, blocking out everything from view except the bed that Ellemere pointed her to. She made her way over to the edge of it and sat down, tilting her head down and keeping her gaze on her feet as they swung a few inches from the floor. As she heard a splash she looked up and was met by the sight of Ellemere standing in the tub, stark naked from head to toe. In the blink of an eye Amorellia covered her face with her small hands, and if her cheeks could’ve blushed any more they would have. Though it was only a split second, the image of the woman was already burned into her mind, like the sign at the Maiden’s Spear had.

The priestess could hear the Knight’s chuckle at her embarrassment, and it seemed like one of the few pleasures she took was in teasing the poor girl. “Are you not going to bathe?” Amore lowered her hands just enough so that she could peek over the top of them and see Ellemere’s face, meeting her gaze. “A-ahm, I-I’ll wait until you’re finished,” she stammered out hesitantly, before quickly retreating back behind her hands.

All the training at the Cathedral wouldn’t have prepared the priestess for a situation like this. As she heard the splashes of the Draenei bathing herself, teenage curiosity began to tempt the girl, but she managed to resolve herself and scrunched her face up behind her hands. After a few minutes she could hear Ellemere stepping out of the tub.

“Go ahead little one,” the knight said to her. Amore slowly parted her fingers and peered through them, seeing that the woman was standing a few feet away from the bathtub, facing away from her.

“A-ahm, y-yes My Lady,” the teenager said as she hesitantly slipped off of the bed and onto her feet. Her hands shook nervously as she began to undress, setting the heavy robes down on the mattress. She moved slowly, hoping that it would give the woman enough time to finish up and give her some privacy. No such luck would be had, as it seemed that Ellemere was taking her time in drying herself with a towel.

With a shaky breath the girl removed her undergarments and set them atop her robes, covering herself with her hands as best she could even though the woman wasn’t even facing her. She walked over towards the bath and slipped in, quickly retreating her petite frame beneath the surface of the water until it was up to her neck. As she peeked over to the side, Amorellia saw that the Draenei was still toweling herself off. Though her gaze only lingered on the woman’s figure for a second, it was enough to make the girl quickly look away and feel ashamed.

Even though a lathered layer of soapy bubbles covered the surface of the water, the youth still felt exposed. She thought it best to focus on actually bathing, trying to ignore her keeper that so mercilessly teased her. The warm water was relaxing and soothed her skin, and the scented soap was a delight. Amore had never taken a bath that felt so luxurious, and it wasn’t long before she had sunk down into the tub until the water was just below her chin.

“Sit up Little Light, I will help wash your hair,” she heard the voice of the knight say, waking her from her little haze. As Amore sat up until the water was just below her shoulders, Ellemere, who at least had the decency to wrap a towel around her waist, walked around to the edge of the tub behind her and knelt down.

The priestess waited until she felt a lavender scented shampoo being poured atop her head. ‘More lavender, she must like it.’ Amore winced in anticipation for a moment, as if expecting a heavy blow to land, before she felt Ellemere’s strong fingers land delicately on her scalp. Strong but nimble digits began to lather the shampoo into her blonde locks, and the fingertips massaged her scalp. It felt nice.

The girl sat in silence, save the light splashes of small waves that moved about the tub. After a few minutes Amorellia tilted her head back, looking up and being met with Ellemere’s golden gaze peering down at her. She couldn’t help but let out a soft, girlish giggle.

Back
Top Bottom