Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Character Reference Photos

I'm curious how many use character reference photos or artwork and where you get them. I have a whole Pinterest thread of photos and artwork that I sometimes use for inspiration, for both writing and drawing. Do you prefer photos or artwork? Where do you find them? Would love to hear thoughts on the matter!

I don't do photos of real people, and 99% of the time I use artwork I myself have commissioned that is of my characters. The other 1% is times when I just use picrew or something.

All the time, for both pitches and new scenes my partner and I can recreate or draw inspiration from. Nothing wrong with a good reference or two.

Totally.

Looking though fantasy pictures, seeing the way a character looks, the gleam in their eyes-- you can start to feel what sort of attitude they might have.
In the past I wasn't fond of using real photos of people because they're real people. But I've come around to it, only with the thought that they're acting much like a television actor or model might. It's a role they're playing. It's not me pretending to be that person.

I still love digital art a lot, though. Especially when I prefer writing about fantasy stuff!

Pinterest has a nice habit of picking up on your tastes as you browse, and then it throws more nice things at you, you know, so that you can venture down the never ending rabbit hole of pretty pictures. c: For hours. H O U R S.

Just like nice music playing when I write, having a good image to look at and draw from can really get my mind moving.

I have a redic collection of photos that I browse first (very organized), then I go to images.google and pinterest if I need something new.

I only use my own art because unless you paid for it, using someone else's art is probably against wishes the artist posted and it's stealing because commissions are their income. If someone else posted their work on pinterest, you're just using stolen property. At the very least, link to the artist's site or social media if you insist on posting their work without paying or asking.

Nowadays, I use FaceApp to blend photos together to create realistic imaginary people. No 'real person' is being used for smut.

As some have stated there is a different flavor for a scene or if they talk about it and see an image that hits them. Though I am of the crowd that picks artwork rather than real people cause I find that more of an expression than using real. Also I just glanced at another post: I don't ever claim these as "mine" I just use the ^^;

I don't need them but if they are essential to my partner, I prefer actual photos or realist art work. I can't get into Anime, animations etc.

I also like the image to be realistic. Too often I have had someone say "My character is a 40 year old house wife" and then send me a pic of the Playboy bunny in her mid 20's.

I find images on Google etc. Usually they are just representations rather than than exact portrayals of what my character looks like. Sometimes my partner might have to imagine that image with some alterations. I might say imagine something like this but more muscular etc

I enjoy using Pinterest to look at amazing character art for hours. Whether just for nice character ideas or concepts, or to use for reference ideas when needed. Having a reference can help both parties imagine a scene a little easier, having that previous visual image ready for the ideas that flow from the writing.

Do you prefer photos or artwork? Where do you find them?
OP hit on a small point about which it's actually quite important to seek clarity.

I don't particularly need character reference photos, but I'm always happy to provide them if a potential partner requests one. I've learned (through trial and error) that it's helpful to ask BEFORE sending whether they have a preference one way or the other.

I've had people freak out because I sent them a reference photo when they were expecting artwork, and I've had people freak out because I sent them artwork as a reference when they were expecting photos.

Bottom line/lesson learned: Please please please communicate your preferences up front when requesting character reference pics! And if you're the requestee, I recommend asking what the expectations are before assuming and sending. :)

I google pics. NO ANIME. A good drawing might work, especially out of modern

Back
Top Bottom