Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

5e DnD "Modern Era" interest check,

east

Supernova
So I just binged all of dimension 20's fantasy high, and it has me really wanting to do a modern era dnd game. I have tried, and failed in the past to run games, but it's been about two weeks now since i started watching it, and I'm still really enjoying the idea and wanting to brainstorm up a world to work with.

I love the idea of a dnd game that takes place in a 1990-2000-ish america. Where arcane technology has created things like cars, and cellphones, and mutual co-operation between classes have advanced the world to this strange mix of modern era and steam punk. The idea of an adventuring academy is fantastic and I just want to steal that school and see what me and 4 players can make for our own city/world.

So the basic premise is the same, I'm looking for 4-6 players who will be starting at level, as you enter your first day at the adventuring academy for future heroes. Character age ranges are 15-16, and I will accept any published race/book. No homebrew, and no UA, we are doing this one by the books!

I don't really know what this website uses for dice rolls I've never really run a game on this site so I might need help in that regard.

So my rules:

Adult content: Let's just keep things reasonable, I am looking for more story, but hey sex is a part of life and we can definitely include some scenes. I'm not a prude far from it, but I want to keep things up to the table to decide I don't want players to get extremely uncomfortable when one student tries to seduce a teacher for instance, and I wouldn't want someone to dive into a rape scene without permission from the table first as well. We all have our kinks but this is a more public, and more rules oriented type of play.

Rule of cool: Be it in combat, or otherwise, I very much try to live by the words of "If it's cool you can roll for it." DnD is supposed to be a little ridiculous, and modern DnD even more so.

Actions have consequences: I mean it's a story, and stories are built off of a give and trade. You the players will help define the world, the world revolves around your choices.

Player death: It happens, part of playing this game, what makes it different from an rp or another fandom is that you can die, and your character will be buried in the ground. Sometimes great magic can pull a willing spirit back from death, but you're starting at level 1.

Leveling: Speaking of which, I use check points I find it way easier to balance combat when I know exactly what level people are at, I prefer to tell people when they reach the next level, and when I'm a player I hate tracking massive exp numbers so check points just kinda make sense.

~~~~~

Like I said I want 4-6 players, level 1 characters, any published race, or class. No UA/blood hunter/homebrew. There will be a lot of magical items, and other kinds of homebrew like cars for instance so lets just spare me a headache. (and yes I realize that kills any hope of the technomancer/chronomancer schools of magic being played but.... no)

I'd also like a small backstory submitted about your characters family, their home life. I will be playing your characters parents so give me a small blurb about what your characters family is like.

Well, I can say that I am interested. For the time being, I will leave it at that as I do want to have a level of cooperation in mind when it comes to potential party composition. At face value I have ideas for a Cleric, Fighter, or possibly Sorceress. Given the setting, I am leaning toward the former two. Since a fighter's background is going to be significantly different from a Clerics, which is going to be different from a Sorceress', I do not have a one size fits all (none? ;p) backstory ready to go.

I'll poke my head in again every so often and see where things are headed.

I agree with Freeko that a character's personality and backstory will depend on what class I decide on, but in my case I find inspiration in images--and I have a few. >v>

One is a tiefling wizard...
Another is an elf wizard (artificer?)...
Then there's a human warlock...
And another...
Next is a half elf fighter (barbarian?)...
And lastly, a human ranger.

So, really, it'll come down to what I finally decide looks the most fun to play.

EDIT: Oh, and @east , if you plan to run it here on BMR, rolz is a popular dice rolling site. Then there's running it on Discord, which can easily accommodate lots of dice bots.

I love this idea. My first thought is playing a genasi. I'm MxM though, so I'm wondering if there will be any opportunities for that.

This definitely sounds interesting. I generally prefer to play "hybrid" chars, but am thinking an urban ranger or maybe a bard who is weaker in magic. Rather boring, middle class background, but the academy is likely a key to advancement.

Well joining will depend on everyone's schedule, I'm already in a Few games after all, but when it comes to DND i can always look forward to more. And the way you described it works for me cause I tend to prefer character interaction and story when in dnd over smut, but i do like keeping the option open cause, that's life and it happens, even in fade to blacks. I can play most classes, having gone rogue, wizard, monk, ranger, and sorcerer before. As a couple of the others have said, organizing a party dynamic so people aren't doubling up too much would help. If the schedules conflict I can always drop out as well, since as I said i've got a few already and I wouldn't want to get in anyone's way.

Also, where would we be playing? Roll20? Discord?

Off the top of my head though, an artificer from a background where her parents ran a sort of Junk shop, buying old things and stripping them for parts to use or sell, and she took to a good skillset of using them to build, joining a school to help further that learning (with maybe a dip in forge cleric later as "god of the forge" or whatever gives her power for her nature of build first ask why never_. Parents would probably be... not sure but probably at least one of them being human. Thinking two dads. Simple blue collar folk who make a decent enough living and just want to enjoy the simple life and help their daughter get whats best for her. (this is a character i've already vaguely made)

Or perhaps a sorcerer whose powers have bloomed and they're a bit nervous about it and looking for a way to control it so their parents sent them to school.

Or an arcane trickster who favors pranks and who seeks adventure cause she's heard lots of cool stories and wants to have cool stories of her own, which she heard from her former adventurer grandfather.

Or college of creation bard similar to the AT who is in it for the story and fun. May or may not live up to bardic stereotypes. Probably uses their creation powers for their amusement and convenience.

Like I said, I can play just about any character. Given the setting starting at level one isn't even so bad, since "learning" their subclasses later can have narrative reason. Also i'll have to check out fantasy high it sounds fun.

Oh boy, lots of interest in this, so lets go through every comment one by one and try to answer questions. But before I get into that, some questions that were reoccuring, where are we playing: Here on bmr, play by post in a group thread, I do not have the time or ability to run dnd off of roll 20. That said everyone is welcome to add me on discord I can make a server to talk shop and ooc about this rp that is actually a pretty good idea. add me on discord if you so desire my username is masorin#8965

@freeko Okay so this seems to be a comment i got a lot which is people are not ready to just pick a class, and thus can't just choose a background. I guess asking for everyone to submit a character from day one was a bit ambitious, I'm going to be making an OOC chatter thread and hopefully those that have shown interest will be willing to talk and we can flesh out more the tone, and what character classes everyone wants to play

@ippo I am very much the same when it comes to character creation the first thing I tend to do is dig around for images. Especially when making key characters. If you are asking me which of those images I would most want to see that Elf Artificer/wizard is completely adorable, and so is the tiefling wizard, they are just so cute.

@obieblu I can certainly give MxM options a try, I have never written MxM relationships, but I had one in highschool so I have a little bit of practical experience at the end of the day. The only thing I can really say there is MxM options are available and sex scenes are possible but I do not promise them to be good sex scenes, to be honest I don't promise any sex scene to be 'good' be it mxm, mxf, fxf, or really any sex at all.

@kckolbe This actually made me think of what backgrounds would work best, but I would definitely say that a middleclass background wouldn't be boring it would be like a trade artisan background. You're parents (if you knew both of them) would probably just be tradespeople in the city, or work some sort of blue/white collar jobs. It could be interesting seeing what the home life of a hybrid character looks like a half elf, or a half orc could have unique struggles in their home.

@FlirtyRogue we will be playing here on bmr, but you are welcome to do OOC chatter with me on discord, and anyone else who is willing to add me from this. Discord is the best way to reach me, but like you I don't have the time to really commit to a full weekly game of dnd right now so a play by post seems a lot easier. I'm really loving each of the character ideas you put forward. I'm already fairly excited to see which one you fully develop.

Edit: @FlirtyRogue Absolutely you should check out dimension 20's fantasy high, their campaign has wrapped up, and while I do not plan on borrowing the story (as I think there is plenty of stories that can be told in such a setting) they are definitely my direct inspiration for wanting to run this type of setting, and you will definitely enjoy it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zZxCVBi7-k&ab_channel=Dimension20

Haha, thanks for addressing that. As long as I'm not walking into a barren, celibate wasteland, I'm in. :) I've got a doggie-date to get to, but I'll concept my character more and post about him later, today. I'll add you on discord, too. Thanks!

@east My apologies. I had meant hybrid in terms of not being specialized in a role rather than a half-human, though I'm not ruling out other races. I have discord and am open to chatting there as well.

I'm not usually one for such an Open place to play but I suppose it can work. If everyone Does join a discord server though, then it could be easier to just play there, especially for PBP, since I've found being on mobile to be much easier there than it is here, but ofc as DM that's your call. I'll see about adding you soon.

Back
Top Bottom