Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

This City at the Edge of the Ocean

Bene

Star
In the not so far future, a city rests at the edge of a vast ocean.

This city at the edge of the ocean stands as a beacon of peace and prosperity; a testament to what mankind could accomplish. Massive buildings stood tall against the horizon, nearly touching the heavens above. Their shimmering glass facades glitter with the sunlight. Lush, green patches of grass were interwoven between the buildings with the occasional tree sporadically placed in fields of green. An elevated rail system replaced the need for cars and buses, leaving the surface clear for stone walkways that cut through these large fields. Crowds of people moved through these open spaces the way blood flows through the veins of any other living creature. With simple pleasures easy to come by there was no need for crimes such as theft or burglary, nor larger ones such as rape or murder. Advancements such as these are only possible through mankind’s drive for innovation and change.

This city at the edge of the ocean, acts as proof that humans were capable of building societies only envisioned in science fiction novels, and that when they worked together anything was possible. Overcoming a fundamental aspect of human nature was what lead to this city’s creation: greed. Greed was the cause of great ruin throughout human history; many civilizations collapsed due to the greed of just a few men. But once human’s greed was at last put aside, society advanced to create this city.

This city at the edge of the ocean provided comforts to all its citizens. Medicine advanced rapidly without pharmaceutical companies gouging prices, leading to the eradication of most preventable diseases. Lifespans nearly doubled as a result. The growing population fit nicely into this city, however. Affordable, luxurious housing was made available to the residents of the city virtually eradicating homelessness as well. Truly this city was paradise for all its residents, not just the elite few as it was in cities of old. Riches were spread evenly amongst the citizens, so that every person had their fair chance at a happy life. Those that excelled were rewarded with riches, but at a slower rate than the average citizen. Spending and taxes were closely regulated, and properly spent. Each person paid their fair share to improve the overall quality of life within the city. Any excess wealth was invested in infrastructure and healthcare.

This city at the edge of the ocean was a symbol of mankind’s greatest strengths. Yet now it serves as a reminder of mankind’s greatest weakness: greed. The very same greed that this city had pushed aside, was thrust upon the rest of the world, and morphed into mankind’s second biggest weakness: envy. Other cities envied this one at the edge of the ocean and sought to take its riches. Take its advances. Take its life. For this city stood atop grounds poisoned by years of greed and envy. This city stood in the heartlands of a long-forgotten civilization, once far from any ocean.

This city at the edge of the ocean was only allowed to exist due to mankind’s fundamental flaw of greed. Had the ocean not claimed the lands surround the city, this city would never have risen to meet its banks. Had humanity set their greed aside sooner, this would have stood for centuries. Had envy not grown in the city’s neighbors, its citizens would still be alive. Had this city’s citizens remained alive perhaps any humans would remain alive.

This city at the edge of the ocean became a tomb for those humans who foolishly thought they could overcome greed.

Last edited:
Umm. Here is my attempt at poetry.

Waiting

For that special day
When the storm has passed
And I can finally say
that I’m okay
And believe it at last

Some hope for wealth
Some hope for fame
Some hope for health
Some hope for acclaim